Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Absolutely offensive. To say that Satan is anywhere near as bad as Trump. How dare they besmirch Lucifer like that.

Hail Satan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

taiyoko posted:

I think the simplest way to do an "is it even?" test would be

Java code:
if ( x%2 == 0 ) {
           return true;
}
else {
         return false;
}
(Typing on mobile, so no proper tab key)

Modulo 2 basically says "what's the remainder after you divide by 2?" So it'll always be zero for even numbers and non-zero for odd.
You're 100% correct and that's the standard solution. The meta joke being that an obviously experienced programmer still has dudes months later mansplaining something there's no way she doesn't know.

I say as a dude possibly doing the exact same thing on some extremely deep metahumour.

Splicer has a new favorite as of 13:11 on Oct 13, 2020

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I take umbrage with equating "guy who doesn't get the joke so posts a good faith solution" with "misogynist mansplainer" though

The Grammar Aryan
Apr 22, 2008
Look at you savages, not commenting your code.

code:
<xsl:template name="check_evenness">
	<xsl:param name="number"/>
	<xsl:param name="traceback_template"/>

<!-- Let's just check we haven't accidentally passed in a string by doing math on it -->
	<xsl:variable name="string_test" select="$number -1"/>

<xsl:choose>
		<xsl:when test="empty($number)">
			<xsl:message>Hey there buddy, where did you come from? Are you lost?
			 Let's get you back to your parent template, <xsl:value-of select="$traceback_template/></xsl:message>
		</xsl:when>
		<xsl:when test="$number %2 = 0">EVEN</xsl:when>
		<xsl:otherwise>ODD</xsl:otherwise>
</xsl:template>

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I wish I lived in the world where leftists are supported by the establishment.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Ahh yes, Corporations, common cause allies of leftists everywhere

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Ahh yes, Corporations, common cause allies of leftists everywhere

They're confusing Leftists with Democrats.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

And yet the lie keeps working because perception = reality.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The only thing a member of the privileged class loves more than making GBS threads on the unprivileged: getting to pretend they ARE the unprivileged

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

The Grammar Aryan posted:

code:

<!-- Let's just check we haven't accidentally passed in a string by doing math on it -->

Let's get you back to your parent template, <xsl:value-of select="$traceback_template/></xsl:message>

:stare: You win.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Like we do all get that, right? That they don't say "BLM and Antifa are back by the media!" because they actually believe it? Like that is a concept we're all on the same page about?

They only say obviously untrue things because it's useful to sway the window of perception. It's the exact kind-of propaganda that has most of the US successfully convinced that MSNBC is as far left as you can go on the political spectrum.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Evergreen comic

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No I think that they actually believe it because they see the odd celebrity saying vaguely positive things about it, or mcburger tweeting out a message of support, and that means complete institutional takeover by the hard left.

Because they're loony old boomers who have no actual perception of reality so it's all loving TV to them.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

Like we do all get that, right? That they don't say "BLM and Antifa are back by the media!" because they actually believe it? Like that is a concept we're all on the same page about?

They only say obviously untrue things because it's useful to sway the window of perception. It's the exact kind-of propaganda that has most of the US successfully convinced that MSNBC is as far left as you can go on the political spectrum.

It depends on who you're talking about. Mitch McConnell doesn't actually believe it. Most anyone in an elected position doesn't actually believe it (though there are some obvious examples of people that do). But your average everyday MAGA absolutely does believe it, because they've been getting their information from sources that claim it's true. We're talking about people that actually believe something as basic as socialized medicine has worse outcomes or is 'more expensive' than US healthcare despite literally decades of evidence and information available at their fingertips.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

mind the walrus posted:

Which "they" are you talking about? Because there is absolutely a segment of the population who believes it, including the reddit comment earlier on this page, my cousin who told me that BLM is a domestic terror group, and the people described in your second paragraph.

Sometimes this thread features those true believers and sometimes it has the propagandists like Ben Shapiro.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It also helps if you keep in mind that they don't view politics in marxist terms, with booj/proles being the competing powers, they view it in weird pseudochristian nationalist terms. Where the good guys are the ones who wave the flag, support the cops and the troops, are ardent and outspoken nationalists and profess their love of the proper christian people of their nation. Who are willing to fight the culture war against everyone they don't like. And the bad guys are the satanist globalist (((globalist))) child murdering flag burning foreigner loving commulists. And you will note that neither of those break cleanly along actual economic reality lines, and also that neither of them are actually leftism as we would understand it.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Captain Monkey posted:

But your average everyday MAGA absolutely does believe it, because they've been getting their information from sources that claim it's true. We're talking about people that actually believe something as basic as socialized medicine has worse outcomes or is 'more expensive' than US healthcare despite literally decades of evidence and information available at their fingertips.
I think operating under this assumption has caused more problems than solved and comes across as more than a little haughty. MAGA aren't "poor little dullards misled by the evil politicians." Even clinical imbeciles know how to lie and manipulate to get what they want, and one thing the right-wing is empirically very good at is party cohesion and toeing a line toward a specific end, regardless of the means.

wizzardstaff posted:

Which "they" are you talking about? Because there is absolutely a segment of the population who believes it, including the reddit comment earlier on this page, my cousin who told me that BLM is a domestic terror group, and the people described in your second paragraph.

Sometimes this thread features those true believers and sometimes it has the propagandists like Ben Shapiro.
True, but operating under a blurred line of plausible deniability is how bad faith actors have gotten so much traction that we're staring down a Donald Trump re-election.

Just wanted to remind everyone that "the poor innocent citizen done in by con men" is a known exploitation that propagandists use. Many of the people saying this poo poo might really know that they're spewing lies, but they don't care because their goal is to get their "team" to win, and while it might lead to a race to the bottom... that might be the reality of where we are.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They can be made that way by con men and also still be profoundly abhorrent people. They can believe a lie sincerely and while that might make them a product of their environment it doesn't make them any less repellant. People can be both victims of circumstance and also victimizers of others.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The lie doesn’t work if there is not a significant portion of people who believe it.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

I think operating under this assumption has caused more problems than solved and comes across as more than a little haughty. MAGA aren't "poor little dullards misled by the evil politicians." Even clinical imbeciles know how to lie and manipulate to get what they want, and one thing the right-wing is empirically very good at is party cohesion and toeing a line toward a specific end, regardless of the means.

True, but operating under a blurred line of plausible deniability is how bad faith actors have gotten so much traction that we're staring down a Donald Trump re-election.

Just wanted to remind everyone that "the poor innocent citizen done in by con men" is a known exploitation that propagandists use. Many of the people saying this poo poo might really know that they're spewing lies, but they don't care because their goal is to get their "team" to win, and while it might lead to a race to the bottom... that might be the reality of where we are.

I'm not saying give them sympathy for being lied to, nor am I saying that they're poor little dullards - you came up with that all on your own. Anyone voting R in 2020 is an inhuman monster that ignores a lot of suffering, but it's more complicated than that. It feels good to be able to smugly declare everyone who disagrees with the way you see things a liar, but that's not reality. A fairly large segment of his voter base actually believes the crazy stuff he says. That doesn't absolve them of the fact that you still have to ignore a lot of human suffering to be able to vote for him, but it's murkier than you're saying with as much propaganda as exists.

This is also probably not the right thread/subforum for this. I suspect Moon Slayer's gonna start throwing sixers soon.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also think it's slightly wrong to suggest that ben shapiro, or many right wing politicians/pundits, actually have a solid understanding of marxist economic theory and just disregard it. It's more probable that they also actually believe a lot of the horseshit they say but the deception, in their eyes, is that they like getting filthy rich off it too and will ignore any bits of their rhetoric that might restrain them or their mates personally. So they are actually idiots on social media, rather than brilliantly cunning masterminds pretending to be idiots on social media.

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

From now on i will be pronouncing Democrates the same as Socrates.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Mitch McConnel is literally anathema to democracy.

The purest example of the stereotypical crooked senator in all of history and fiction.

I mean he's only one I AM THE SENATE away from being Palpatine.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I'm not sure how Butters has American citizenship given that he doesn't seem to have any connection to the country via family, but I had to laugh at this part of his wiki

quote:

Lydon became an American citizen in 2013, in addition to his British and Irish citizenships. He later spoke of how he would never have considered becoming a U.S. citizen during the "Bush years" because of the "horrible" way America presented itself abroad, but the Obama presidency had changed his mind, in particular because "America has the potential to be a nation that actually cares for its afflicted and wounded and ill and disenfranchised" as a result of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act ("Obamacare").[65]

Funny thing is, he was a twat before 2013 and he's still a twat now so I'm not sure what gave him 5 minutes of clarity back then.

edit:

also a lol

quote:

Before his election, Lydon said in response to questions about Donald Trump's prospects for being elected President of the United States: "No, I can't see it happening, it's a minority that support him at best, and it's so hateful and ignorant."[84]

Guessing he just wants some limelight and to be seen as controversial in his old age. Stick to shilling butter.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Read "making GBS threads butter" and thought I was in the AFP thread.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
There's a picture of him in a big Trump shirt that's been floating around for years, I think he's just one of those people that turned around on him when he got the GOP nomination and also since Trump hate is so vocal he supports him because he thinks he's a contrarian.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

OwlFancier posted:

Read "making GBS threads butter" and thought I was in the AFP thread.

They might've paid him in butter, so that's also a very real possibility.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Evergreen comic

The revolution will be commoditized.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I'm not sure how Butters has American citizenship given that he doesn't seem to have any connection to the country via family, but I had to laugh at this part of his wiki

Funny thing is, he was a twat before 2013 and he's still a twat now so I'm not sure what gave him 5 minutes of clarity back then.

edit:

also a lol

Guessing he just wants some limelight and to be seen as controversial in his old age. Stick to shilling butter.

He's a rich white dude, it's not that hard to become an American citizen if you meet that criteria.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

code:
boolean isEven(int i) {
	String ch = String.valueOf((char)('a' + (i % 26)));
	return "acegikmoqsuwy".contains(ch);	
}

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 18:52 on Oct 13, 2020

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

nexus6 posted:

I take umbrage with equating "guy who doesn't get the joke so posts a good faith solution" with "misogynist mansplainer" though
Okay, well now that you've taken it allow me to suggest someplace you can shove it

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

:laffo:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Needs a little more blacking out to cover all the names.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

ultrafilter posted:

Needs a little more blacking out to cover all the names.

good catch, fixed

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is this from that fake boomer group perhaps? All the posts are like that there, as a gag. Profile pic does not look like someone with a 39 year old son Bill.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

dialhforhero posted:

Mitch McConnel is literally anathema to democracy.

The purest example of the stereotypical crooked senator in all of history and fiction.

I mean he's only one I AM THE SENATE away from being Palpatine.

He's blocking any bill he doesn't even want seen. He's lightning fingers away from being Palpatine.

gently caress he just sent like 2 minutes creepy laughing at corona deaths in a debate last night.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Grammar Aryan posted:

code:

I'll just leave this here: https://github.com/EnterpriseQualityCoding/FizzBuzzEnterpriseEdition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is this from that fake boomer group perhaps? All the posts are like that there, as a gag. Profile pic does not look like someone with a 39 year old son Bill.

yeah that looks like a post from jimgroup

that group was loving hilarious when it was people posting unironic examples of that poo poo in the wild, and then it just mutated into everyone doing it themselves ironically and it killed the joke