Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Ago, not old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lol drat

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

I was having a good day until this was posted.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Edit: gently caress, somehow pocket phone posted, nice.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Oh poo poo rip 90s cringe rock. your final post was a finally a good one

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Drone_Fragger posted:

Ye gods! My Duncan Idaho is ruined! But what if...I were to create a ghola and disguise it as my own Idaho? Ho ho ho, delightfully devilish Leto!

I actually laughed out loud at this

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Funny how Duneposting is embraced in the general Macros & Memes thread but looked upon with disdain in the Simpsons meme thread.

Content:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
There were like 5 pages of posting Dune memes and also just posting about Dune in the Simpsons meme thread. I wouldn't call that disdain.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mr. Crow posted:

gently caress off

Edit: content

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
Autistic here-- even when the actual autistic post these, they're a net-negative. We suck at processing, we're not socially incapable. Anime weeb poo poo + tired chemistry jokes aren't a good look.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Funny how Duneposting is embraced in the general Macros & Memes thread but looked upon with disdain in the Simpsons meme thread.
Duneposting was loved in the SimpsonsMeme thread:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Android Apocalypse posted:

Content:

Stopped doing it when a helicopter shat me right in the eye.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

mind the walrus posted:

Autistic here-- even when the actual autistic post these, they're a net-negative. We suck at processing, we're not socially incapable.

Speak for yourself, pal.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

DicktheCat posted:

Oh, are we doing this brand of bullshit again?

I didn't know it was ten years ago.

The Dune movie came out 36 years ago actually

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's a new one coming out next year and they're clearly trying to make it a mega-franchise, thus the sudden renewed interest in the property.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Was gonna be this year, but 2020. Might get interesting given the potential for Game of Thrones and Star Wars fans jumping on the speculative fiction lifeboat.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
How the gently caress you mix up a fig with a date? Mission OR calimyrna?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Someone’s gonna have to explain that incel/gasping wasp connection

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Beeswax posted:

White Anglo Saxon Protestant.

Still inordinately proud of helping to originate incel/excel joke.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Beeswax posted:

White Angle-Saxon Protestants, and how the incel movement is about white guys getting mad about not being provided women.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OwlFancier posted:

And you should be, but I feel like the pun is too perfect for some people to leave it alone like by adding a third leaf that doesn't take the pun aspect into consideration and goes off in an opposing direction.

It's two jokes at once, which can feel like an overreach. I recall reading this in a later chapter of Ettinger, Ruiz & Richtman, seminal graduate-level text on comedy and joke construction, and furthermore

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Someone at work showed me the incel/excel meme today and I got to not say that I was there as it was birthed AND point out that it is technically incorrect - an incel would never believe anything was a date since in their worldview they’re undateable. I am incredibly fun at parties.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Data Graham posted:

And you should be, but I feel like the pun is too perfect for some people to leave it alone like by adding a third leaf that doesn't take the pun aspect into consideration and goes off in an opposing direction.

It's two jokes at once, which can feel like an overreach. I recall reading this in a later chapter of Ettinger, Ruiz & Richtman, seminal graduate-level text on comedy and joke construction, and furthermore

I dunno I actually like the three one particularly because it has the added wasp/W.A.S.P joke which I appreciate a lot. Like wasp/WASP is a very good pun by itself.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

True, it does make it feel like having a pun per combination is an important part of the overall tapestry. I may be swayed to this line of thinking

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

True, it does make it feel like having a pun per combination is an important part of the overall tapestry. I may be swayed to this line of thinking

Agreed, 12 and 4 o'clock are weak links that should contain puns.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

you're a legend in some parts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Beeswax posted:

Someone at work showed me the incel/excel meme today and I got to not say that I was there as it was birthed AND point out that it is technically incorrect - an incel would never believe anything was a date since in their worldview they’re undateable. I am incredibly fun at parties.

I think that type of incel, the fatalistic type who believes they are doomed to never have a girlfriend because Chad and Stacy are in league against them, is technically called a "blackpill." They are different from regular incels, who are simply frustrated that they can't get laid and ascribe it to women being bitches instead of something about themselves.

This has been your daily briefing on incel taxonomy.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Beeswax posted:

in case the other half is confusing; figs are basically inverted flowers. In order to actually be pollenated, a particular type of wasp needs to enter the fig, wherein it is trapped and dies. The fig breaks down the wasp carcass long before you eat it tho.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Full circle. Complete with jpeg-artifacting.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Incels are pretty disproportionately suburban white kids whose parents gave them no adequate preparation for functioning as a member of society in their boomer malaise

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah they're usually "bubble" kids whose worldview was largely shaped by pop media, in the way that they always feel they're the protagonist of life and are "owed" a hot girl per the terms of self-actualization shown in every boy protagonist movie from 1980-now.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Paladinus posted:

Stopped doing it when a helicopter shat me right in the eye.

a newbie mistake, you were standing on the wrong side

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Here's how a good DM can roll with it.

DM advice: *at end of first verse* You hear machinations within the door moving. The door does not open. I wonder if more singing would do more...

Bard: *Sings the rest of the song with the rest of the table joining in*

DM: The door slowly opens. Behind it, you see a wall of shields and spears because the silent door was opened with song, raising alarms. Roll initiative.

CannonFodder has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Oct 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

CannonFodder posted:

Here's how a good DM can roll with it.

DM advice: *at end of first verse* You hear machinations within the door moving. The door does not open. I wonder if more singing would do more...

Bard: *Sings the rest of the song with the rest of the table joining in*

DM: The door slowly opens. Behind it, you see a wall of shields and spears because the silent door was opened with song, raising alarms. Roll initiative.

I'm currently new-DMing the 5e starter set, specifically Phandelver, and the first time Wave Echo Cave got mentioned by name a party member supplied "far away in time". We just had a bit of a laugh, I didn't know I was missing out on tumblr clout