Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
What are some good 4-6 player games for a group that already plays a lot of 7 wonders, carcassone, codenames, hanabi, splendor and coup?

(Games the group did not like: Mysterium, Sentinels of the multiverse, keyflower)

VP engine building based games seem to be popular with the group, but i'm open to co-op suggestions. We're playing on TTS so some of my favorites like space alert just don't work as well. Generally we try to keep it to games that take less than an hour to play and with relatively low rule complexity (despite my intense desire to play gloomhaven)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
For what I'm seeing in that group's preferred weight/play style, maybe give Libertalia a try?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

TheCog posted:

What are some good 4-6 player games for a group that already plays a lot of 7 wonders, carcassone, codenames, hanabi, splendor and coup?

(Games the group did not like: Mysterium, Sentinels of the multiverse, keyflower)

VP engine building based games seem to be popular with the group, but i'm open to co-op suggestions. We're playing on TTS so some of my favorites like space alert just don't work as well. Generally we try to keep it to games that take less than an hour to play and with relatively low rule complexity (despite my intense desire to play gloomhaven)

my suggestions are a bit longer, 60-90 minutes, and more complex, but might be a good step up:

Chinatown (trading)
Santiago (network building)
City of Horror (the best zombie game ever made)
Kolejka (polish game about standing in bread lines)
Colosseum (auctions, trading)
Container (simple rules, complex economics)
Sidereal Confluence (trading, asymmetric powers)
Libertalia (pirates)

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

TheCog posted:

Some light games I enjoy:

Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Camel Cup
Incan Gold
Quacks of Quedlinberg

some shorter-length VP Engine Builders:

Suburbia
Scoville
The Flow of History

Not sure how many of these are on TTS though.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Sushi Go Party! (light drafting) has some TTS mods, as does Dixit!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 13, 2020

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
Alhambra is always a good and simple one, but I'm partial to Architects of the West Kingdom (5p original, 6p w/expansion). The Captain is Dead and Flash Point for co-op. Arkham Horror/Eldritch Horror is a fun co-op as well if you like the more fiddly elements.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cartographers should scale well to any number of players because interaction is limited (or none if you just use the solo rules for monsters). There seems to be a TTS mid, but I haven’t tried it. It may lose some charm if you’re just checking boxes instead of physically drawing, though!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheCog posted:

Repeating Chinatown. I've had it stick the landing with groups that had an awkward time with Codenames and who just completely rejected The Resistance as "too complicated."

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

I've been really enjoying Chameleon as a substitute for both Codenames and Resistance. It's a brilliant meeting of the two. One guy said he hates social deduction games so I asked him to phrase the game as a word puzzle and he had a blast through that lens. So ya know! I'd recommend it if you happen to enjoy both of these games. I'd say it's harder to teach than Codenames but easier than Resistance.

I'd also recommend playing Catan online. There is this great Catan clone here: https://colonist.io/ and it's super chill and fun.

Man, Catan is such a classic. It's such an incredible game that's both entry level and deep. I'm so glad people are still playing it in 2020. Base game Catan will always be one of my most favourite games ever - and this is coming from a dweeb who started a board game club in high school and has been a bgg member since 2005 (and asked for Diplomacy for his 13th birthday party lol).

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Stickman posted:

Cartographers should scale well to any number of players because interaction is limited (or none if you just use the solo rules for monsters). There seems to be a TTS mid, but I haven’t tried it. It may lose some charm if you’re just checking boxes instead of physically drawing, though!

You drag 1x1 colored tiles into a map, actually. It makes for a pretty satisfying experience, at least playing solo.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Lampsacus posted:

Man, Catan is such a classic. It's such an incredible game that's both entry level and deep.

There are a lot of ways you can describe Catan, but deep is absolutely not one of them.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

TheCog posted:

Wingspan is an engine-building VP worker placement game that plays 5 very well. It has an official digital version that plays super smoothly compared to TTS.

For anyone who likes Coup, Skulls is maybe the best $10 you can spend.

Decrypto is another team-based word association game that scratches the itch of Codenames. I have no idea if it would work on TTS.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Elysium posted:

There are a lot of ways you can describe Catan, but deep is absolutely not one of them.

We already had a “does Catan suck” derail like two weeks ago. Let’s not do it again.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

You can claim that something is shallow without claiming that it sucks, but that might not be a tightrope that this thread can walk.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Repeating Chinatown. I've had it stick the landing with groups that had an awkward time with Codenames and who just completely rejected The Resistance as "too complicated."

Urgh, I adore Chinatown but all players in my primary groups don't seem to enjoy it for some reason because they are all boring and I hate them.

"Ok what's next?"
"...what about Chinatown?"
"Yeah nah"

:argh:

gently caress you all, imma just buy Brass Lancashire and force you all to play it.

Aggro posted:

Skulls is maybe the best $10 you can spend.

Skulls is a winner for a really quick and clever bluffing game.
I wish they'd reprint the original Skulls and Roses box, as the discs feel much more like you're down at the pub.

Been trying to find an opportunity to finally play Kaker Laken Poker as well, and I think imma roll it out after the next time we play Skull to keep the theme going.

quote:

Decrypto is another team-based word association game that scratches the itch of Codenames. I have no idea if it would work on TTS.

My party game group doesn't grok Codenames for whatever bloody reason, but they're super keen on Decrypto
The worst trap you can put yourself in is letting your guesses be heard out loud, as the opposing team can tailor clues 'around' that to throw you off the scent.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Infinitum posted:

Urgh, I adore Chinatown but all players in my primary groups don't seem to enjoy it for some reason because they are all boring and I hate them.

"Ok what's next?"
"...what about Chinatown?"
"Yeah nah"

:argh:

gently caress you all, imma just buy Brass Lancashire and force you all to play it.

Skulls is a winner for a really quick and clever bluffing game.
I wish they'd reprint the original Skulls and Roses box, as the discs feel much more like you're down at the pub.

Been trying to find an opportunity to finally play Kaker Laken Poker as well, and I think imma roll it out after the next time we play Skull to keep the theme going.
Chinatown has literally just arrived after it finally came back into stock but my group is in the Gloomhaven hole. Not that I'm complaining about regularly playing an excellent game that I didn't pay for though. I have Pax Pamir arriving in about a month or so and when it comes hopefully we will have played enough sessions of it that I can suggest we try a day playing different things to break it up.

The joy of Skull is that you can sub anything in for it easily enough. I tend to just use my Cockroach Poker deck for it since that gives me 2 quick bluffing games for the price of 1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

Birmingham or gently caress off, you upside-down muthafucka. :colbert:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Urgh I'm saving for a PS5, but Amazon AU's Prime Day has Arkham Horror LCG for $37 AUD.

Everywhere else has it for $50-60.

Urgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I bought it because I am weak

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

Oh yeah I meant Birmingham. Durp :v:

I get all the UK names mixed up because they're all Glousworcestershire Upwards On Downs, instead of strong respectable Australian names like Woolloomooloo, Cobber Pedy, or Wagga Wagga

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Aggro posted:

We already had a “does Catan suck” derail like two weeks ago. Let’s not do it again.

He literally just said it's not deep. I know people went haywire last time but let's not project on one guy who posted a reasonable opinion.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

sirtommygunn posted:

I finished Pandemic Legacy Season 2 yesterday, and I think it's pretty good.

I'm in the middle of a 2-player PL binge with a friend (finished season 1 last month (815 points!), about to start May in our season 2 campaign, and have season 0 pre-ordered). We both like S2 over S1 so far.

What we most enjoyed out of S1, and what I imagine is one of the main draws of legacy games, is the ability to create your own luck to counteract the bullshit in the infection deck. We've already found one thing that allows for that more than anything in S1 (inoculation). I also appreciate that the bad thing you're trying to avoid (outbreaks is S1, incidents in S2) is much less avoidable but also less impactful in S2. It really pairs well with the encouragement to go out and do things that aren't your main objectives, it can still bite you in the rear end but not in a way that could ruin a whole corner of the board forever.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Oh, just because I only just remembered:

Played Obscurio recently, and our entire group basically all said the same thing, 'This is just like Mysterium but better.' And, we're all big Mysterium fans!

If you've not seen it, it's the same basic setup where one player is trying to direct all the others to choose a specific image, with no communication other than supplying two separate images that in some way indicate the correct one, while trying to steer away from a bunch of incorrect images. In Obscurio, there is a secret traitor among the players trying to misguide you by making plausible but incorrect suggestions, who also adds images to the pot (to try and add ones close to the clues). There are also a bunch of 'traps' which are things that liven up rounds by making the time shorter, adding more false ones, letting the traitor choose more false ones, etc etc. It's a lot harder than Mysterium, and isn't fully co-op, but the competitive element is so lean that even my group who's super anti-competition still preferred it.

The other big change is that the 'ghost' gets two little magnetic arrows they can attach to the images, indicating a particular aspect of them, and there's actually a lot of nuance to this. You can obscure certain bits of the picture by placing the arrow just right, and you can indicate really small details that the players would otherwise almost certainly overlook. You can also indicate one of the images entirely, or do weird things where you point both the arrows at the same thing, etc etc. It means the images have a LOT more to work with, and there's a lot more 'skill' involved with being a ghost.

The only bad thing about it was that I've got a few expansions for Mysterium, and now I only really wanna play Obscurio.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

Brum for casuals, Lancs for pros.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Urgh I'm saving for a PS5, but Amazon AU's Prime Day has Arkham Horror LCG for $37 AUD.

Everywhere else has it for $50-60.

Urgghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I bought it because I am weak

I’m in the states but Miniature Market had it on sale so I bought a second core.

I just got into it and I’ve already dropped way too much on cards and sleeves

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

for Pandemic Legacy runs with 2 people do y'all stick with 2 characters or each play 2?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

for Pandemic Legacy runs with 2 people do y'all stick with 2 characters or each play 2?

We played 3. With 2, it's too easy to give your characters the best abilities and roll through the game, but we felt 4 was too unwieldy. Three was the sweet spot.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I'm sorry y'all skip this if you're tired of hearing about it but some of this poo poo is truly amazing!!!

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2477850/article/36026323#36026323

We should only have white men in games because otherwise it's patronizing. I mean seriously. That's so racist it's hilarious.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’m in the states but Miniature Market had it on sale so I bought a second core.

I just got into it and I’ve already dropped way too much on cards and sleeves

I love how every Arkham guide is basically "yeah um just buy a second core box before buying anything else"

Luckily I have a Card Guy who lives close by, so I'll play a few games with him to see if it's a concept I enjoy and would like to expand upon.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Aggro posted:

For anyone who likes Coup, Skulls is maybe the best $10 you can spend.

I would counter that Skulls is one of the worst $10 you can spend, because it's one of the most easily proxied games of all time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Its a very lovely little box to be fair

But yes, once you learn the rules you can straight up play it with playing cards if you wanted.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Infinitum posted:

I love how every Arkham guide is basically "yeah um just buy a second core box before buying anything else"

Luckily I have a Card Guy who lives close by, so I'll play a few games with him to see if it's a concept I enjoy and would like to expand upon.

That’s kind of what I did. We played the core scenarios and a couple stand-alones and my wife loved it so I had to pick up another core because she wants to do some campaigns with friends of ours.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

I've always just played it as 2 people playing 1 character each. S1 we won the first 8 months in a row, then lost both Septembers and early October, then won out. S2 we're through April and we've already lost 4 times :negative:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

We stuck with 1 character each, though we both switched to new characters by the end.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Got to finally play Wavelength and it's a lot of fun. Fits a neat niche I think for party games and does what you like which is create tons of conversation and poo poo-talking and second-guessing. I'd say it's closest to codenames in the sense you've got one person desperately trying to get people to read their mind and then keep a straight face while their team goes OFF THE RAILS. My only complaint is that the method of stealing a point is weak (minus even playing for points in the first place but to each their own) and should be replaced with a second dial for the other team to try and actually guess properly versus a straight "further to the right! no the left!" that it currently says to do.

Definitely a great addition to anyone's collection and considering you can play with people far-ish away from each other, even vaguely appropriate for the current climate!

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Elysium posted:

I would counter that Skulls is one of the worst $10 you can spend, because it's one of the most easily proxied games of all time.

Infinitum posted:

Its a very lovely little box to be fair

But yes, once you learn the rules you can straight up play it with playing cards if you wanted.

These are both true. But I love the little box, and the cardboard mats and skulls have enough weight that the game can be played at a park or a beach or a brewery and not worry about playing cards flying away.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Mayveena posted:

I'm sorry y'all skip this if you're tired of hearing about it but some of this poo poo is truly amazing!!!

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2477850/article/36026323#36026323

We should only have white men in games because otherwise it's patronizing. I mean seriously. That's so racist it's hilarious.

There is no need to apologize for calling out bigotry. We've had multi page arguments over Catan, nobody here should have a problem with your posts.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

!Klams posted:

Oh, just because I only just remembered:

Played Obscurio recently, and our entire group basically all said the same thing, 'This is just like Mysterium but better.' And, we're all big Mysterium fans!

If you've not seen it, it's the same basic setup where one player is trying to direct all the others to choose a specific image, with no communication other than supplying two separate images that in some way indicate the correct one, while trying to steer away from a bunch of incorrect images. In Obscurio, there is a secret traitor among the players trying to misguide you by making plausible but incorrect suggestions, who also adds images to the pot (to try and add ones close to the clues). There are also a bunch of 'traps' which are things that liven up rounds by making the time shorter, adding more false ones, letting the traitor choose more false ones, etc etc. It's a lot harder than Mysterium, and isn't fully co-op, but the competitive element is so lean that even my group who's super anti-competition still preferred it.

The other big change is that the 'ghost' gets two little magnetic arrows they can attach to the images, indicating a particular aspect of them, and there's actually a lot of nuance to this. You can obscure certain bits of the picture by placing the arrow just right, and you can indicate really small details that the players would otherwise almost certainly overlook. You can also indicate one of the images entirely, or do weird things where you point both the arrows at the same thing, etc etc. It means the images have a LOT more to work with, and there's a lot more 'skill' involved with being a ghost.

The only bad thing about it was that I've got a few expansions for Mysterium, and now I only really wanna play Obscurio.

Yeah Obscurio is real good, i got mine just before lockdown so only played a few games of it. Looking forward to Meatspace Obscurio soon.

Someone mentioned Chameleon earlier and it's a social deduction game that I cannot recommend at all. It's just got the fundamental flaw that sometimes the Chameleon has to go first.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I don’t know why I even still have a copy of Coup because Skull and Cockroach Poker do the same thing better with no need for reference sheets or coins. Easier to teach either of them too.

I did like the big box Coup (G54?) that had all the new rules and every round used a different subset of roles, but by the time it came out everyone here was burnt out on Coup.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Elysium posted:

Throw the designers :10bux:, people! Plus, the art is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Re: good fast 2-player games, I have to give a shout out to my beloved classic, Cathedral. Two players familiar with the rules can play a single match in five to ten minutes. I always wind up playing a bunch of matches as a set, but even then, 30m is reasonable to get a few in.