Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I liked Marauders, but 2 issues for Wolverine's quest kind of soured this week's releases for me. Hope next week is much more interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i think the two books together were about the same length as the extra long X-Factor or Marauders books and since Benjamin Percy is writing both X-Force and Wolverine they just let him tell the story across both books instead of doing extra long versions of either book

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh no, wolverine must fight his greatest foe- an even sluttier version of daken.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh no, wolverine must fight his greatest foe- an even sluttier version of daken.

Fight should result in a draw because they decide to just go get drunk and act trashy together. (Wolverine is just as much as a hoebag as his kid, let's be honest).

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Having read Wolverine and X-Force, I feel like I could have skipped it without missing much. Beyond Wolverine getting his sword, it mainly introduced his opponent, which I wasn't too impressed by. I suppose he might play a bigger role later on, but who knows. Still trying to decide if I want to get all 22 chapters or try to stick to the important bits and/or the series I've been reading anyway.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I read Champions #1. It was not very good, but it raised an X-related question. Why isn't Dust on Krakoa? Has this been brought up at all anywhere?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I mean, it's not like mutants are forced to stay on Krakoa if they don't want to. You can easily make the argument that Dust is a righteous enough person that she feels like she can make a difference in a world that hates and fears her.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Wolverine and X-Factor books just felt horribly over-written to me. I don't even know if they were good or bad because they were so goddamn dense and Serious. Marauders was night-and-day to that; it still had a lot of information to get in but it was propulsive and interesting.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gologle posted:

I mean, it's not like mutants are forced to stay on Krakoa if they don't want to. You can easily make the argument that Dust is a righteous enough person that she feels like she can make a difference in a world that hates and fears her.

Plus she's a precog, I thought they didn't get the warmest welcome on the island.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Plus she's a precog, I thought they didn't get the warmest welcome on the island.

Dust is a precog?

I'll admit i don't know much about her

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
No she just...turns into sand.

Maybe Macdeo is thinking of Blindfold?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Important X of Swords news

https://twitter.com/arthurstacy/status/1314650656310005770?s=20

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

hexate posted:

The info-dumps continually sprinkled throughout the event about the kingdoms of Otherworld makes suspect what Saturnyne's game is. Ten duels, ten kingdoms? Hmm...

Man I sure hope it's leading somewhere because I so do not give a poo poo about Otherworld and just reading about its kingdoms is not making me interested in the least.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I like that the infodump in the Storm issue was about the vampire realm.

Could this be the return of BloodStorm?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh yeah! She got killed in the lovely Rosenburg run, but did she get brought back? With the whole "no precogs", she may have been put on the bottom depth of whatever queue they got going.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

I read Champions #1. It was not very good, but it raised an X-related question. Why isn't Dust on Krakoa? Has this been brought up at all anywhere?

I'm honestly just waiting for Cyclops to show up and be like "Hey I started out as a teenage hero plus I was in the Champions so I'm giving you all Krakoan immunity. Tell the government to suck it."

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Blockhouse posted:

No she just...turns into sand.

Maybe Macdeo is thinking of Blindfold?

Yeah sorry,some of The New X-Men kind of blind together for me at times.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hi thread, after 2 years or so of reading literally every X-book from the beginning, in exact continuity order, I’m hitting the age of apocalypse which is where I stopped reading the first time around (1995ish). I know that Onslaught stuff is coming and is really regarded to be pee-pee poo-poo, but is there anything good in the 95-00 range worth continuing to read for?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hi thread, after 2 years or so of reading literally every X-book from the beginning, in exact continuity order, I’m hitting the age of apocalypse which is where I stopped reading the first time around (1995ish). I know that Onslaught stuff is coming and is really regarded to be pee-pee poo-poo, but is there anything good in the 95-00 range worth continuing to read for?

I haven't read it myself but I think X-Man was generally well regarded through most of it's run.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Personally, I think I'd rather re-read Onslaught than X-Man. Nate Grey is just not a character I ever cared for and though the book ends on an interesting note when Ellis takes over, I'm not sure I'd say it's good, just better than it had been. I also don't much care for Age of Apocalypse so adjust accordingly. I did the whole X-universe read a few years ago, so I don't remember when things happen, but skipping to Morrison is probably fine.

Edit: Actually, read Mutant X, or at least give it a try. It's a very strange book that I have a great fondness for.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Oh, wasn't Gail Simone's Deadpool/Agent X in that period? that's pretty good.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Generation X, probably.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Generation X was good up until Bachalo left, then it lost a lot of its appeal.

I stopped reading comics around the same time and don't think I missed anything important that was X-Men related.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

The Joe Kelly and Steve Seagle stuff is an interesting year or so. I really liked the work done with Marrow, and, although it's messy due to editorial, I'd say it's worth a read as it really stood out to me amidst the meandering late-90s stuff. X-Men #70 is the big kick-off issue, I think? And hey, it's got Maggott!

I'm a 90s kid and a sucker for teen drama (and a huge fan of Emma Frost - plus, in Gen X it's revealed that she's really good at mini golf?!) so I actually enjoyed Gen X throughout, but I think of a lot of that is I adore how full-on Larry Hama writes stuff when he comes onboard, and Dodson art goes a good way to making stuff better.

Metalshark fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 11, 2020

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Codependent Poster posted:

Generation X was good up until Bachalo left, then it lost a lot of its appeal.

I stopped reading comics around the same time and don't think I missed anything important that was X-Men related.

I want to get to Gen X eventually but the Marvel app is missing a ton of issues in the middle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I want to get to Gen X eventually but the Marvel app is missing a ton of issues in the middle.

Yeah, it really sucks and is surprising since they've filled in most of the other big X-Men gaps.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, it really sucks and is surprising since they've filled in most of the other big X-Men gaps.

On this recent reread of mine I encountered that X Factor has a really massive gap in the middle that doesn’t seem to have any sort of logic behind why it is missing. There’s also a huge wolverine gap after issue 50.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

doesn’t seem to have any sort of logic behind why it is missing

That's Marvel Unlimited for you!

*furrows my brow as to why 5 random issues of 80s Dr. Strange books were released*

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

This reminds me of something I’ve wondered for a while - how are the master copies of all of these comics stored? Is there a vault somewhere of them on flat master prints or something? When were these scanned? Etc

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

This reminds me of something I’ve wondered for a while - how are the master copies of all of these comics stored? Is there a vault somewhere of them on flat master prints or something? When were these scanned? Etc

The older stuff they don't have the original art (the penciler and inker would take turns keeping the original art to sell at conventions and poo poo, except Steve Ditko who used his as cutting boards).

When Marvel put out 40 years of [Avengers/Spider-Man/Fantastic Four] comics on DVD back in 2003 the quality of some of the scans makes me think either their storage system wasn't great or they were flat out missing some issues and had to ask fan collectors to borrow their copy.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
The revelations from the Kirby lawsuits regarding his original art indicated that Marvel was... not great at storing original art. (Original art that they considered theirs, despite both contracts and long-held industry policies that had them as property of the artist.)

I'm very much doubting much of the old MU stuff is being digitized from anything but the best copies they can find. Obviously modern stuff is digitized prior to publishing, but the older stuff I think would have to be cleaned-up scans from actual comics copies; or any touched up pieces they've done recently.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
Remembering when Dan Slott was one of the guys in charge of the Marvel comic closet and he lied his way into a position.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Gologle posted:

Remembering when Dan Slott was one of the guys in charge of the Marvel comic closet and he lied his way into a position.

what is this?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Soonmot posted:

what is this?
Dan Slott wanted to be an intern at Marvel in the early 1990s but wasn't enrolled in college, so he just said he was in enrolled in college and they didn't really check and hired him on as an unpaid intern. Then when the internship was up they wanted to know what his school schedule was and if he could manage taking an actual paid position and he admitted he was not in college and they still hired him, but got very nervous about violating labor laws and made the internship application process more stringent.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Imo that is absolutely not a damning story about Dan Slott.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
It wasn't meant to be, I was reminded of it because we were talking about old comics and their storage. Dan Slott's primary role when he was an intern, IIRC, was sorting through and categorizing their catalog.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I'm curious when exactly he was an intern, I can't find a solid date off-hand. If he published his first MCP stories or the random back-up strips while doing the internship I wonder how often that happened. I've seen him mention handling the letter bag for Barbie which launched in 1991, and it looks like his first published Marvel credits were in July of that year.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Well reading between the lines, he tweeted in August 2019 "29 years ago, I lied to get into the Marvel College Intern program. (I'd already graduated college.) From then on, all the way up to now, every intern applying for a spot has to fill out tons of forms to prove they're still actively in school. That's because of me. I did that."

So that would presumably make it either a summer 1990 internship or a 1990-1991 school year internship.

He goes into a bit more detail in this 2012 interview about the changeover:

quote:

I had a sister who was getting married, so I came to New York, I knew I was going to be in Manhattan and I set up an interview through the college internship program. I just filled out all the forms, did everything I was supposed to and I was there all of five minutes and one of the questions they asked was “What college do you go to?” I said “Well, I just graduated from…” and they said “We can’t use you. We give you college credit. We don’t pay you, and if we can’t give you college credit, it’s slave labor, we’re not doing that. Thank you, but goodbye.” And I was kicked right out. And luckily I have a twin sister who got married six months later, and I had to come back to Manhattan. And I knew they weren’t going to remember me from five minutes, so I had a college professor write me this form for a post-graduate credit. When they asked me what college I went to, I lied and I just said I was still in college. And then I was the intern who didn’t leave. [laughter] Most guys usually do a month or two months; I was on month three. And I wasn’t getting paid, I was living on money I was getting from Kinkos at night, and things were getting kind of iffy when someone came up to me and said “You know, we have this staff job we’d like to give you, but you have to go back to college.” I went “I LIED!”, and they gave me the job.

A couple weeks later, a couple pay cycles later, I wasn’t getting any checks. And this was before direct deposit. A guy would wheel a cart down the hall and hand everyone an envelope with their paycheck. And he kept skipping by me. I had to go to the Editor in Chief and say “You guys aren’t paying me”. “Well what where we paying you before?” “I was a college intern.” “Well then you have to go back to college.” “Well no, I lied.” And this was Tom DeFalco, if you meet Tom DeFalco he’s a really nice guy.

Various places say he was working under editor Fabian Nicieza as an intern, which doesn't help in pinpointing anything because he was working as an editor up through 1994 it looks like. The period where he was in charge of "the art closet" was after he'd become a staffer I assume, mostly because Slott describes it as in a period after the internship, but also because the most detailed story I can find about it is him discussing having to contact Steve Ditko to give him the original art back from Squirrel Girl's first appearance, which didn't even come out until November 1991.

So yeah, all of this lines up to him having transitioned to being an actual employee by the beginning of 1991, between the above Ditko story and Barbie launching at the very end of 1990. The earliest published writing I can find by him is a Speedball back-up in New Warriors Annual #1 the last issue of Marvel's short-lived Mighty Mouse comic, both released on the same day, May 14 1991, the former primarily written by Fabian Nicieza, the latter edited by him.

To make this broader than "deep dive into Dan Slott's early career", if all of this sounds incestuous with interns becoming editors becoming self-dealing writers, it's because it is, and this was pretty standard operating procedure for the comic industry all the way up to the early 2000s. While it in no way excuses breaking company policy (and it definitely loving doesn't excuse virtual yellowface), the idea that twenty years later then-new Marvel editor would be vexed by the idea that he was no longer allowed to pitch for freelance writing gigs while employed as an editor is pretty understandable, considering that was how probably half of the editors and writers above him that he worked with every day got to the positions they held then.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

My friend did something similar to get into radio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/BenjaminBirdie/status/1315632617509793801?s=20