Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

peanut- posted:

I've not really been following this, why are the shadow cabinet abstaining?

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1316011485038964748

Jeremy Crowbin has no authority over the PLP and should resign to make way for a leader who has their trust and respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Jeremy Crowbin has no authority over the PLP and should resign to make way for a leader who has their trust and respect.

Catte.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Outrageous anti-semitism from Keith, trying to tell Jewish Shadow Cabinet members how to vote

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

namesake posted:

Only one person lives there.

It's not called the Isle of Men is it?

Chuck Tingle presents the Isle of Men

Don't even need new cover art, the flag will do

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Communist Thoughts posted:

Isn't this the thing that makes pubs close at 10 or something.
That seems like a half measure

It's like a one-fourteenth measure

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
imagine whipping to abstain*

"the only tolerable opinion on this matter is no opinion at all!!!"

*not to be confused with abstinence via whipping

Oct 4, 2005

A preview of Starmers next speech

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

He's apparently holding a press conference now if you need you fix of beige.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Chuck Tingle presents the Isle of Men

Don't even need new cover art, the flag will do
Pounded in the Bute by three perfect muscular legs.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Holy poo poo, he's actually doing a thing.

I didn't think he had it in him.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've had a pretty unproductive day of working from home, so I'm going to make myself feel better about it by watching the archetype of ambivalence himself for a bit

Awwyeah red on bright pink, this is what I bought an ambilight TV for

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

sebzilla posted:

Holy poo poo, he's actually doing a thing.

I didn't think he had it in him.

Is that thing "talk about how the government should do a thing"?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

EvilHawk posted:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1316050690733740035?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1316050690733740035

E: curse you jose!

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
laura must be super salty that allegra stratton got the press sec gig

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1316048733306486788

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
So is he proposing a 17ish-day closure of pubs offices and schools or is it more weak poo poo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Gort posted:

So is he proposing a 17ish-day closure of pubs offices and schools or is it more weak poo poo

pubs, restaurants and schools and onyl essential offices he's claiming

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Isle of No Homo

(literally, they only decriminalised homosexuality in 1992)

The 'I Love Man', they should lean into to it as a seething hotbed of gay holidays

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

EvilHawk posted:

For Kieth that's loving impressive

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol education PPS has resigned

https://twitter.com/CGreenUK/status/1316056810235797504?s=20

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
If I were in charge I'd go on TV and dance all day to keep people indoors

It probably wouldn't work

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Another lockdown isn't going to achieve anything unless you actually implement a long term solution, we're gonna be right back at this point in a couple of months.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

guess who askewd this question about sacrificing people on the altar of number

https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1316055147697573888?s=20

minema
May 31, 2011

lmao this is my MP and he's a snivelling coward who blocks constituents that disagree with him on twitter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Another lockdown isn't going to achieve anything unless you actually implement a long term solution, we're gonna be right back at this point in a couple of months.

I think the theory is that test and trace gets fixed during the lockdown. Which, y'know, good luck, but I actually think this is, finally, a good call. It's just we should have been doing it (and Labour calling for it) weeks ago rather than, y'know, Kier actually insisting the government act faster in getting kids back into schools and firing the shadow education secretary who was too 'pro-union' for saying 'hmm hang on this doesn't seem like a great idea'.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean yes it's better than collapsing the NHS but I would be very surprised if he follows through rather than just saying he supports the government's doling out of another hundred squillion pounds on nonexistent solutions.

Captain hindsight is entirely accurate.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Yes it's very bold decision to close schools at half-term.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Szmitten posted:

Yes it's very bold decision to close schools at half-term.

it makes it a lot more palatable to everyone

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Delay is literally all you can do unless a vaccine emerges though. Delay via effective track, trace and isolate would be far preferable, but if the government can't achieve that then I'll take delay via repeated lockdown.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's less than 24 hours since Johnson announced the three-tier system...

probably the view from inside LOTO is that Johnson is likely to face a ferocious backbench rebellion from anti-lockdown Tories and that sharpening this divide can only help, even if it means Starmer has to make good on his pledge to support whatever lockdown measures the government proposes. Just two weeks ago there was widespread speculation that Labour could support anti-lockdown amendments to limit the Coronavirus Act

ronya fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 13, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

This is a good call from Keir. It's also an incredibly, incredibly safe call, considering he's backed by the majority of the public, almost all his party, literally every scientist including the government's own SAGE, and probably some of the Tory party.

He also knows that if a national lockdown happens (very likely) he can take credit and blame the government for thousands of deaths and huge economic damage for not doing it sooner, and if it doesn't happen he can blame the government for TENS of thousands of deaths and huge economic damage anyway.

It even offers him cover for supporting the government, since if you back the most stringent measures it's a no-brainer that you'd also back everything up to those measures because it's better than nothing.

It's doing the right thing at a moment that requires near zero political courage, which is Starmer's favourite time to do the right thing.

ronya posted:

it's less than 24 hours since Johnson announced the three-tier system...

probably the view from inside LOTO is that Johnson is likely to face a ferocious backbench rebellion from anti-lockdown Tories and that sharpening this divide can only help, even if it means Starmer has to make good on his pledge to support whatever lockdown measures the government proposes. Just two weeks ago there was widespread speculation that Labour could support anti-lockdown amendments to limit the Coronavirus Act

Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, and Teir Starmer.

jabby fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Oct 13, 2020

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

I'm glad that Starmer has finally taken a stand on something but is he going to follow this up? If he just gives one speech calling for it and then waits until external virus pressures force the government to capitulate while reminding people of the one speech he did then he loses any sort of momentum or prestige he could get from it, I think what happens now will really show if he's got any political talent at all.

jabby posted:

This is a good call from Keir. It's also an incredibly, incredibly safe call, considering he's backed by the majority of the public, almost all his party, literally every scientist including the government's own SAGE, and probably some of the Tory party.

He also knows that if a national lockdown happens (very likely) he can take credit and blame the government for thousands of deaths and huge economic damage for not doing it sooner, and if it doesn't happen he can blame the government for TENS of thousands of deaths and huge economic damage anyway.

It even offers him cover for supporting the government, since if you back the most stringent measures it's a no-brainer that you'd also back everything up to those measures because it's better than nothing.

It's doing the right thing at a moment that requires near zero political courage, which is Starmer's favourite time to do the right thing.

Yeah I guess he really is still just playing it safe. So probably nothing else to come from Labour over it then, which is not good!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If I was boris I would just do whatever I wanted and then wait for starmer to vote for it anyway.

Maybe think up some super lovely legislation like even bigger fines and get labour to vote for it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

jabby posted:

Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, and Teir Starmer.

so that's what the S in S-tier stands for :aaaaa:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

NoneMoreNegative posted:

The 'I Love Man', they should lean into to it as a seething hotbed of gay holidays

The Isle of Wight already beat them to the joke.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wonder if Starmer would have had the balls to demand a lockdown if SAGE and Whitty hadn't already planted the seed of Boris ignoring advice. It's an easy opportunity to jump on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm not really sure he isn't just being arbitrarily contradictory occasionally. He hated lockdowns not so long ago. He was the one so keen to get the kids back to the plague factories regardless of what "the science" or "the teachers" or "his own education secretary" said.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not really sure he isn't just being arbitrarily contradictory occasionally. He hated lockdowns not so long ago.

Oh poo poo it's the strategy that Chuka used against Corbyn lol.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

peanut- posted:

I've not really been following this, why are the shadow cabinet abstaining?

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1316011485038964748

Periodic reminder that this utter loving weapon kept Glenda Jackson in his basement for months on end with no human company while occasionally sending his 11 year old son downstairs to yell “are you still alive” and, I poo poo you not, “happy birthday” through her letterbox. There was an interview with her about her new play and it was heartbreaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

stev posted:

I wonder if Starmer would have had the balls to demand a lockdown if SAGE and Whitty hadn't already planted the seed of Boris ignoring advice. It's an easy opportunity to jump on.

100% no, he's a huge coward with no ideas of his own.