Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Potentially weird question, but I'm kinda incredibly new to this. Do you guys who do 3d sculpting like blender or zbrush use a tablet/pen?

Yes. I can't imagine trying to sculpt without a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
I've got an anchient Wacom Bamboo, and it does fine - not sure if it's pressure sensitive, but I don't do much scuplting - to much of a self taught noob,

On the topic of self taught noobness, any idea what I can do to make this mech look better? the whole texture looks flat to me.

The pilot didn't turn out to bad though!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

You don't need a big one for working with - I have the Huion Inspiroy H430P and it does the job just fine, and is also cheap as poo poo.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
A tablet is a huge increase in quality of life sculpting. While it's possible to sculpt without one, the experience is horrible and limiting. Even an $80 cheapo tablet is better than a mouse. I'd say get the cheapest you can and if you end up doing a lot, picking up a midrange or higher model.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah i seem to remember a big breakthrough around 5 (maybe more) years ago. used to be the only tablet worth a poo poo was wacom, for someone reason nobody else could make one that was anywhere near as good, so they priced accordingly. since some competition has come out you can get decent tablets for $100.
I recall the intuos being something like $300+ and there was no bamboo/entry level option.

I should get back in the practice of using one for photoshop. I've been using a mouse for art for 16 years and now my handwriting with a mouse is as good as using a pen and paper, but I don't sculpt or do anything requiring pressure.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I have a 10 year old 21" cintiq, 4:3 before they made them in 16:9. It was a stupid, extravagant purchase at the time but I still use it every day and it works perfectly. I use a normal tablet in the office too, it's going to take some adjustment to use it again now that I've been working from home for 6 months.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, while I dislike that Wacom has basically a monopoly, and prices to match, they do atleast have long term support and decent build quality to their name.
If you buy most products it's uncertain if they'll still work 5 years down the line(Depending on complexity, of course.), but with a Wacom tablet I wouldn't really be surprised if one bought today still works on Windows20, 2030 edition, with native drivers to boot.
My 7 year old intuos which came out while Vista was the current hotness has native win10 drivers nowadays. The only issue I had with it was that part of the plastic shell on the pen began sweating a bit after half a decade.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

cubicle gangster posted:

Yeah i seem to remember a big breakthrough around 5 (maybe more) years ago. used to be the only tablet worth a poo poo was wacom, for someone reason nobody else could make one that was anywhere near as good,

The breakthrough was probably a patent expiring. The explosion of desktop 3D printers over the last decade is the result of two key Stratasys patents expiring in 2007 and 2009.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
If someone doesn't mind, can you take a peek at the tablets on sale for prime day on Amazon and let me know your opinions? Currently rocking a budget of about 50-60 bucks. There's quite a few in that area though.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

If someone doesn't mind, can you take a peek at the tablets on sale for prime day on Amazon and let me know your opinions? Currently rocking a budget of about 50-60 bucks. There's quite a few in that area though.

Get the Huion ($50 + 20% off) 610 Pro v1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DPC98DT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_DTIHFbM3PRXDZ

We have a couple at work. Just fine for cheap tablets although drivers can be a little finicky on macs.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That link is the v2. Any real difference between em or is the v2 workable too?

Like I said, I know nothing about this, just figured since it's on sale, I might as well learn something new.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

Personally I'd vouch for this over the Huion. A little more expensive but well worth it.

I owned a Huion 610 first, and it does work just fine, but the thing I'd think hard about is the ergonomics: the Huion is much bigger, which is a plus in some ways, but that means it's harder to store or use simultaneously with a keyboard and mouse. The tablet I suggested is small enough to always live on your desk (and can be wireless), so it's never a hassle to start or stop using it. I found I had to put my Huion "away" when I wasn't using it, and getting it out again was annoying enough that I just stopped eventually. Buying another smaller tablet felt somewhat silly and redundant but I use it a lot more and it's always right there. The pen and surface are better than on the Huion too - the Wacom pen doesn't need to be plugged in to charge.

Your setup may be different enough that this isn't an issue.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

That link is the v2. Any real difference between em or is the v2 workable too?

Like I said, I know nothing about this, just figured since it's on sale, I might as well learn something new.

Whoops I meant v2!

Prolonged Priapism posted:

Personally I'd vouch for this over the Huion. A little more expensive but well worth it.

I owned a Huion 610 first, and it does work just fine, but the thing I'd think hard about is the ergonomics: the Huion is much bigger, which is a plus in some ways, but that means it's harder to store or use simultaneously with a keyboard and mouse. The tablet I suggested is small enough to always live on your desk (and can be wireless), so it's never a hassle to start or stop using it. I found I had to put my Huion "away" when I wasn't using it, and getting it out again was annoying enough that I just stopped eventually. Buying another smaller tablet felt somewhat silly and redundant but I use it a lot more and it's always right there. The pen and surface are better than on the Huion too - the Wacom pen doesn't need to be plugged in to charge.

Your setup may be different enough that this isn't an issue.

The Huion I linked doesn't need charging for the stylus either.

I also don't think it's super huge, but if desk space is a premium, the above Wacom is good too.

I'd just buy both, try 'em and return the one you don't want to be honest. Generally I prefer the Wacom feel over the Huion if you can spare the change, but also sometimes a couple of the cheaper Wacom tablets we've gotten have this crazy gritty texture to the writing that I just can't stand. (Not sure about the one linked above).

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Oct 14, 2020

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, when I say budget I mean literally that's it (except like sales tax). I'll probably just grab the big one. I don't have a desk at the moment, and my monitor is my bigscreen tv, so there's no real need to worry about space much.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kanine posted:

https://i.imgur.com/1e7DrfQ.mp4

Recently started working on an environment in UE4 based on old mainframes from the 60s. Pretty proud that I managed to figure out how to get semi-random blinking on lights and semi-random rotation on tape spools.

I used UE4 with blueprints and poo poo it's spoiled me. I found it so flexible and easy to create so many great meshes and movements and material changes and lights etc.

Shame I can't render the results in something

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SubNat posted:

Then it's as easy as going material instance -> update variable (name) with a new value in the blueprint script, and it'll update that parameter for it's local material instance.

I abused this so god drat hard all the god drat time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1LCxswNnXo

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

anybody else got some good 3dcg memes?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Blender Reddit is full of memes about the default cube.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Just want to chime in and say it's totally possible to do 3D modeling without a tablet. I'm sure most people will tell you otherwise, but I got used to using Blender with a mouse, then I got a tablet thinking I would use it for sculpting and then realized that I prefer using a mouse anyway. I think I just like controlling the camera with the mouse wheel. If I do use the tablet (other than concept art) it's for adding surface details or sketching things using the grease pencil. Just find something that works for you.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Komojo posted:

Just want to chime in and say it's totally possible to do 3D modeling without a tablet. I'm sure most people will tell you otherwise, but I got used to using Blender with a mouse, then I got a tablet thinking I would use it for sculpting and then realized that I prefer using a mouse anyway. I think I just like controlling the camera with the mouse wheel. If I do use the tablet (other than concept art) it's for adding surface details or sketching things using the grease pencil. Just find something that works for you.

Fair enough, go for it, but I would say that a vast majority find that sculpting with a tablet works better for them

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
If we're specifically talking about sculpting... I mean yeah it's possible with a mouse but I have literally never met a single artist that sculpts with a mouse. It's 100% tablet.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doing environment art for games I do a fairly minor amount of sculpting if I can help it (mostly stuff like rocks, maybe wooden things, trees, etc. pretty much all in blender) but even then I still use a cheap wacom tablet just to help make the process a bit easier.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

BonoMan posted:

If we're specifically talking about sculpting... I mean yeah it's possible with a mouse but I have literally never met a single artist that sculpts with a mouse. It's 100% tablet.

Do you draw with a rock? No? Then don't sculpt with a mouse.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sigma 6 posted:

Do you draw with a rock? No? Then don't sculpt with a mouse.

Yeah I liken it to people who try to do detailed drawings in MS Paint or make music with an array of old CD-ROM drives. I mean yeah sure it's *technically* doable if you like a challenge... but... why?

edit; But enough piling on that. Have y'all checked out Embergen? It's a GPU realtime fluid simulator. It's in beta (but has a very active beta discord with the devs) and I've been messing around with it. It's awesome. Definitely has some UI improvements needed as well as other things, but they are actively working on it and it's really fun to use.

https://jangafx.com/software/embergen/

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
do any of you tablet users also force yourselves to use maya or max with it?

I worked with a guy who'd try to use a tablet for everything and watching him try to use max with it was infuriating. just making his life difficult for no good reason.

Which is worse, sculpting with a mouse or rigging with a tablet?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cubicle gangster posted:

I worked with a guy who'd try to use a tablet for everything and watching him try to use max with it was infuriating. just making his life difficult for no good reason.

Hmmm, I disagree with this as well.

In college we all learned to use the tablet as the general navigation tool for Maya (not just sculpting). It definitely took some getting used to, but it eventually clicked and just sped us all up.

I fell out of that habit when I was less and less in the 3D world, but might try to go back to it. I really did like it more.

edit: for content (and a guy using a tablet for everything) check out Victor Perez's home studio. Gah.

https://www.foundry.com/insights/fi...MquuZzm2jSyEUkc

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 16, 2020

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

The only thing I use a tablet for in Maya is skin weight painting, which is a nightmare anyway no matter what tool I use.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I do 99% hard surface modeling in Rhino and mechanical stuff with SolidWorks, and I use a mouse for both. I'm very used to all the keyboard shortcuts and I feel like the combination of the two is faster and more precise than a tablet.

When I mess around with the sculpting tools in Blender, though, I definitely use a tablet. The pressure sensitivity alone is worth it

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
What I don't like about the tablet is using the buttons on the Wacom stylus. It's just uncomfortable, I have trouble hitting the right side of the button, and a lot of times I'll just barely brush it while trying to do a stroke and suddenly open the menu on Zbrush instead of finishing what I'm trying to do. But I'm using an old Wacom- Intuos 4, at least 10 years old at this point, so no idea if they've improved the ergonomics of it.

Apr 7, 2019

Here's the best config I've found for the wacom tablet buttons. Feel free to use it yourself:

EDIT: oh sorry you said stylus

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cubicle gangster posted:

When I worked in film I noticed a fair few animators using a tablet for some reason. Maybe that type of work in Maya suited it or they were all worried about RSI or something. That said, I've never had wrist problems from long days of mouse use, I'm a standing desk freak so I choose to believe that is the reason

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Sagebrush posted:

I do 99% hard surface modeling in Rhino and mechanical stuff with SolidWorks, and I use a mouse for both. I'm very used to all the keyboard shortcuts and I feel like the combination of the two is faster and more precise than a tablet.

When I mess around with the sculpting tools in Blender, though, I definitely use a tablet. The pressure sensitivity alone is worth it

You know the tablet method is Tablet + Keyboard right? It's not just tablet.

EoinCannon posted:

When I worked in film I noticed a fair few animators using a tablet for some reason. Maybe that type of work in Maya suited it or they were all worried about RSI or something. That said, I've never had wrist problems from long days of mouse use, I'm a standing desk freak so I choose to believe that is the reason

I'm telling you, it's faster! There's a learning curve for sure, but man you can just *blaze* around with a tablet/keyboard. And things just start feeling much more fluid and "easy."

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

500 posted:

Here's the best config I've found for the wacom tablet buttons. Feel free to use it yourself:

EDIT: oh sorry you said stylus

LOL yeah I don't use those buttons either, I've got a keypad peripheral for hotkeys.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

cubicle gangster posted:

The brief is simply 'create an image inspired by the works of Hugh Ferriss'
It's the first one I'm planning to enter - I started massing out my idea this morning and it's ready for detailing.

I'm calling this done, I've entered it as it is.

This is the image it was based on - an early illustration Hugh Ferriss did in 1943 for Trinity portland cement.

And some crops - the final image was rendered at 9k high because I guess I cant make small images anymore

The time tracking software I use automatically takes screenshots for reference purposes, but it means I got a free timelapse out of it:
https://vimeo.com/469522959

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 18, 2020

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Looks amazing, love it!

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Gorgeous, gorgeous work.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I mostly like it, but I think the pillar on the right makes it look constricted and kinda kills the scale.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Thank you guys, it's much appreciated. Feels good to finish something for myself which is alligned with my day job work.

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I mostly like it, but I think the pillar on the right makes it look constricted and kinda kills the scale.

Man you're not wrong. Cropping it out gives one of the most drastic tonal shifts to an image since calm.jpg

My fiancee said the same thing fairly early on too - her only piece of advice I didn't take on board. I think I was too in love with how the ivy looked backlit like that, staring at the image at 200% zoom.
My boss at DBOX has said that's my main weakness too - allowing the overall impression of an image to be sacrificed for the sake of details hardly anyone will see. I should make time to be aware of that.

Apr 7, 2019

Looks sick! Thanks so much for sharing your process too. What's the time tracking software you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
It's https://www.manictime.com/
I think I got onto it from a reccomendation in this very thread a few years ago.
It's a lifesaver for me - on any given day I might dip into a proposal for multiple new jobs, spend an hour here and there helping on other things or planning, then maybe if I'm lucky a couple hours production on an active job. As someone who hates manually doing timesheets, I can look back in the last 2 weeks for every single time I had gmail open and was either writing or reading an email with the subject line 'x' and automatically tag it all to a job. Means I can basically ignore tracking time until after we know we can bill for an item and I can scrape up what I need for accurate info, instead of documenting everything all the time just in case.