Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

frogbs posted:

Man, this really bums me out, but I don't think I can deal with a phone that big. Does Apple generally release sensor size info, or am I going to have to wait for reviews?

They said so in the presentation itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Can I still use my old Qi and lighting chargers on the 12 Pro Max? Probably eh?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Housh posted:

Can I still use my old Qi and lighting chargers on the 12 Pro Max? Probably eh?

Yep

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

So if I'm reading this right I can trade in my current ATT iPhone XS and get the 12 for free or drat near it?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Zero One posted:

Pro camera specs (differences noted)
2x optical zoom in, 2x optical zoom out; 4x optical zoom range (iPhone 12 Pro)

what does this wording mean for stupid people? Does it not actually have four times the magnification of the standard shooter?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mister Facetious posted:

what does this wording mean for stupid people? Does it not actually have four times the magnification of the standard shooter?

The phone has three lenses with different zoom levels. One 2x zoom. One "normal". And one 2x wide.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Y'know what's great. The MagSafe charger comes with no power brick. It's a USB-C cable. My only one USB-C charger is an Anker one that sits at my desk.

Thanks Apple really good.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Seriously. I tried to unlock my iPad in bed last night but because of the way the iPad is angled the camera is staring at my chest so I have to contort to get it to see my face. And that’s if it doesn’t think the camera is covered by my arm, which it usually is because I’m reaching for the iPad. Add to that that iPadOS doesn’t want to let me tap the face icon to bring up passcode while it’s showing the “camera is covered” dialog and I’m like “fine I guess I just won’t unlock and wait until tomorrow morning” on the reg.

it's most frustrating to me when I'm trying to check my bank account or something and have to open up Last Pass and can't unlock with face ID so I have to type in my super long passcode and inevitably gently caress it up a couple times

whereas on my 6 year old ipad air 2 It Just Works

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Zero One posted:

Optical zoom is zooming using the lens and is a better quality zoom.

Digital zoom is blowing up a photo digitally to make it bigger. But quality suffers because the actual pixels the camera can capture haven't changed.

I didn't ask about digital zoom, I want to know if the "2x optical zoom in" wording is relative to the main camera, and therefore only a 2x zoom.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

SeANMcBAY posted:

They said so in the presentation itself.

Yeah I know they said "47% larger" but I was looking for info on the actual sizes of the sensors.

Also, anyone else on the iPhone Upgrade Program tried to check their eligibility today? I had trouble logging in, makes me think the system is getting hammered, even though the new phones aren't available yet.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Mister Facetious posted:

I didn't ask about digital zoom, I want to know if the "2x optical zoom in" wording is relative to the main camera, and therefore only a 2x zoom.
Yeah, so there’s a 2x zoom beyond the normal camera, and then the “0.5x” zoom ultrawide camera. So the 2x zoom is zoomed in 4 times compared to the 0.5x for a 4x total zoom range across all cameras. (0.5 * 4 = 2, going from 0.5x zoom to 2x zoom).

e: all that is to say, no change at all from iPhone 11 Pro

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

C’mon T-Mobile throw up a good trade-in / upgrade deal already

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

frogbs posted:

Yeah I know they said "47% larger" but I was looking for info on the actual sizes of the sensors.

Also, anyone else on the iPhone Upgrade Program tried to check their eligibility today? I had trouble logging in, makes me think the system is getting hammered, even though the new phones aren't available yet.

It's a 1.6F vs a 1.8F sensor.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

ratbert90 posted:

It's a 1.6F vs a 1.8F sensor.
That’s the lens, not the sensor.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Puppy Galaxy posted:

touch ID is just better technology all around. for example it works first thing in the morning

i feel like im the only person on earth who had super inconsistent results with touchID

but i agree it should be an additional option now that my face can't open my phone

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

fourwood posted:

Yeah, so there’s a 2x zoom beyond the normal camera, and then the “0.5x” zoom ultrawide camera. So the 2x zoom is zoomed in 4 times compared to the 0.5x for a 4x total zoom range across all cameras. (0.5 * 4 = 2, going from 0.5x zoom to 2x zoom).

e: all that is to say, no change at all from iPhone 11 Pro

meh. 12 it is then.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

lol.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/10/13/iphone-12-instant-discount-att-verizon/

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Am I bad person for primarily wanting to change in my 11 Pro for a 12 Pro because of that sleek rear end stainless steel banding? With the new shape, I wonder if it is less slippery or sits on a surface better than the 11P now. I highly doubt it since they design these things to hover and float around.

Probably going to use my IUP option to get a 128 or 256 Pro, really conflicted on color. They all look amazing.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mister Facetious posted:

Please see my edit.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What the gently caress. Why. Hopefully T-Mobile offers something to make up for this bullshit.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

fourwood posted:

That’s the lens, not the sensor.

We’re going to have to wait for ifixit to do a tear down because I don’t think apple ever gives out specs like that. I mean they don’t even tell you how much RAM is in their things.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TraderStav posted:

Am I bad person for primarily wanting to change in my 11 Pro for a 12 Pro because of that sleek rear end stainless steel banding? With the new shape, I wonder if it is less slippery or sits on a surface better than the 11P now. I highly doubt it since they design these things to hover and float around.

Probably going to use my IUP option to get a 128 or 256 Pro, really conflicted on color. They all look amazing.

I want a 12 because of the magnetic wallet. My wallet is already a small leather thing the size of a card and thin enough that it only holds like 2-3 cards and I always set my phone on top of it cause my phone is caseless. It’s like they read my mind.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

So if I'm reading this right I can trade in my current ATT iPhone XS and get the 12 for free or drat near it?

Yeah I saw this and looks awesome. Instructions say to buy through apple, then do a trade-in via ATT. But when I look my XS Max value up on ATT's trade-in tool, it says it's worth up to $330. I'm guessing the "up to $800" means if you trade in a max storage 11 Max?

e: iPhone 11 Pro Max seems to be worth only $580 on ATT's trade-in tool. Maybe there's a higher value through this program?

e2: ATT's trade-in tool asks for an optional promo code at the end. I wonder if ATT gives you one after you activate the new phone?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Oct 13, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

I want a 12 because of the magnetic wallet. My wallet is already a small leather thing the size of a card and thin enough that it only holds like 2-3 cards and I always set my phone on top of it cause my phone is caseless. It’s like they read my mind.

I'm not sure I feel the wallet, but will reserve judgment as it comes out. I am digging the magsafe idea and how it'll also work for carplay (non-wireless). I love going caseless so am perpetually trying to get back to the iPhone 4/5 design that was perfect for it. But with the bump and glass back, I don't think we'll ever get to a solution where the phone doesn't float around.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

TraderStav posted:

If the weight difference from the 11pro to the 12pro is significant I might do my AUP trade in based on that alone.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ratbert90 posted:

Lol at the cable being lightning to C instead of lightning to A.

Agreed 100% actually. I have plenty of spare USB-A wall adapters, not USB-C wall adapters. Guess I'm making another purchase of wall adapters off Amazon.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Excited about the wallet too, the sticky style wallets seem dumb but MagSafe wallets seem like the way to go.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

If the weight difference from the 11pro to the 12pro is significant I might do my AUP trade in based on that alone.

Is it lighter or heavier than the 11P?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

TraderStav posted:

Is it lighter or heavier than the 11P?

I believe it's lighter.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

TraderStav posted:

I'm not sure I feel the wallet, but will reserve judgment as it comes out. I am digging the magsafe idea and how it'll also work for carplay (non-wireless). I love going caseless so am perpetually trying to get back to the iPhone 4/5 design that was perfect for it. But with the bump and glass back, I don't think we'll ever get to a solution where the phone doesn't float around.

I like the wallet but i'm going to SUE Apple when my fridge magnet wallet FALLS OFF and I lose my FREE CHALUPA loyalty card.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Zero One posted:

Please see my edit.

Yeah I got it, the "4x range" is all three lenses combined. meh :-\

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

So what’s the difference between Apple’s ProRAW camera vs using an app like Halide which also shoots RAW? Asking cause it seems like the 12 doesn’t get this feature, only the 12 Pro.

flipoff
Nov 25, 2003

Really, bitch?

Have they said anything about how the apple upgrade plan works with the delay on the 12? If you got the 11 at release you will have made 13 payments when the 12 comes out, or 14 for pro max and mini. Are the 13th and 14th payments refunded or put towards the cost of the new phone, or are you just out those payments?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

flipoff posted:

Have they said anything about how the apple upgrade plan works with the delay on the 12? If you got the 11 at release you will have made 13 payments when the 12 comes out, or 14 for pro max and mini. Are the 13th and 14th payments refunded or put towards the cost of the new phone, or are you just out those payments?

My understanding is that you're out those payments as the AUP makes the remaining obligation $0 and you simply turn in your device and pick up a new 24 month obligation. The hurdle to clear for the no hassle turn in is 12 payments.

So, can I make my 12th payment early and qualify? I have 11 in and it's going to pull on the 26th. Not sure what date they said the Pros go up for preorder.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

flipoff posted:

Search your heart for the answer to this

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Matt Zerella posted:

FaceID is great and it’s no worse privacy wise than turning over your fingerprints.

It’s not so much the biometric data going anywhere as much as it is the normalization of facial recognition technology, an invention that in my opinion as a tech enthusiast of 30-something years is bad and needs to be restricted.

A Touch ID phone like the SE is still better for me, a person who will never enable Face ID. I’d just like the power button sensor so eventually someday I can use a phone with Face ID and opt out of using it without enormous hassles.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

ijyt posted:

Y'know what's great. The MagSafe charger comes with no power brick. It's a USB-C cable. My only one USB-C charger is an Anker one that sits at my desk.

Thanks Apple really good.
Yeah, you'd think going out of your way to buy a charging contraption, there'd be the power brick included.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Yeah I saw this and looks awesome. Instructions say to buy through apple, then do a trade-in via ATT. But when I look my XS Max value up on ATT's trade-in tool, it says it's worth up to $330. I'm guessing the "up to $800" means if you trade in a max storage 11 Max?

e: iPhone 11 Pro Max seems to be worth only $580 on ATT's trade-in tool. Maybe there's a higher value through this program?

e2: ATT's trade-in tool asks for an optional promo code at the end. I wonder if ATT gives you one after you activate the new phone?

I think you're right. This has to be some sort of promotional trade in value. How they apply it to your account is a mystery.

ATT's website doesn't have any information on the 12 yet. I might check the site tomorrow to see if there's any more information.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Oct 13, 2020

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Boris Galerkin posted:

So what’s the difference between Apple’s ProRAW camera vs using an app like Halide which also shoots RAW? Asking cause it seems like the 12 doesn’t get this feature, only the 12 Pro.

If I understood correctly, ProRAW pictures actually look like the touched up pictures taken with non-RAW shooting by default, but preserve the RAW data so you can also edit it effectively after the fact. It's intended to be a "best of both worlds" solution.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Jose Oquendo posted:

I think you're right. This has to be some sort of promotional trade in value. How they apply it to your account is a mystery.

ATT's website doesn't have any information on the 12 yet. I might check the site tomorrow to see if there's any more information.

From the instructions. I am dumb.

quote:

How do I get it?
Buy your new iPhone from Apple with an AT&T Installment Plan and activate on an AT&T Unlimited data plan. After you place your order, trade in an eligible smartphone directly with AT&T within 30 days at att.com/tradein. Once your order is complete, you’ll get an email with next steps.

So yeah, after you order/activate, sounds like you get an email from ATT with a trade-in promo code.

And it's weird, you can get "up to" $800 if you're buying the 12 Pro, but only up to $700 if you're buying the 12 Pro Max.

My wife has an 8 Max and I have an XS Max. I wonder if they're worth the same amount through this program. Bummer they don't provide more details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I missed the presentation but as an XS owner the only real difference I see, even with the Pros, seems to be camera stuff?