Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Dias posted:

This is a good enough time that I can consider myself a speedrunner and therefore be able to complain about the community in this very thread! Yay!

I should do All Weapons one of these days and actually record it tho.

Pretty good dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Dias posted:

This is a good enough time that I can consider myself a speedrunner and therefore be able to complain about the community in this very thread! Yay!

I should do All Weapons one of these days and actually record it tho.

drat, nicely done.

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Dias posted:

This is a good enough time that I can consider myself a speedrunner

I'm sorry that you're now racist and transphobic 😔

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Studio posted:

I'm sorry that you're now racist and transphobic 😔

gently caress.

Thanks, I was on pace for a sub-10 earlier today but Styx hates me and I got four rooms. It was a 32-heat run too, not even optimized.

Hades is a fun fast game, it's not very hard to learn either.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Wasn't there an open ended samurai game where you could just walk in the opposite direction from where the storyline was indicating at the start and win the game that way albeit a bad ending?

Also some game where you can aggro the final boss at the start, lead him back to some town guards and have them deal with it.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wasn't there an open ended samurai game where you could just walk in the opposite direction from where the storyline was indicating at the start and win the game that way albeit a bad ending?

Way of the Samurai. Maybe all of them, but you could at least do that in 1.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
There was this metroidvania game called shadow complex I think where you could do that, just walk away at the very first screen and end the game. it stuck with me because the game starts with your gf getting kidnapped and if you gently caress off Nolan north is like lol sucks for her

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Also some game where you can aggro the final boss at the start, lead him back to some town guards and have them deal with it.

Eldred posted:

Way of the Samurai. Maybe all of them, but you could at least do that in 1.

Way of the Samurai's whole deal was that the game itself was like 3 short days but you replayed them over and over groundhog-day-ing your way to a perfect cherry blossom.

But yeah as a result you could do silly things like just end the game right off. (but you'd just start again)

Very cool game.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeR-bT3uv0

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

NieR Automata also has a bunch of endings that you get from ignoring or walking away from urgent story events/bosses.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Organza Quiz posted:

NieR Automata also has a bunch of endings that you get from ignoring or walking away from urgent story events/bosses.
The same is true of Nier, and also the Drakengard series, if memory serves. Might also apply to the Kings Field series, it's been too long for me to remember for sure.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

"Bunch" is an understatement. The main Story Endings go from A to E, while "joke" endings go all the way from F to Z (with Y having a bit more of the Nier universe story thrown in).

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

It appears that speedrun dot com is under new ownership.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

What, has it been bought by lowtax?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Really glad they decided to sell it to a company so it can be milked for revenue instead of handing off to someone else from the community who can continue it as a labour of love :rolleyes:

IDK maybe that's unfair of me but I've seen how poo poo like this goes in the past

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
what could they possibly do to make a speedrun leaderboard worse lol

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

bike tory posted:

Really glad they decided to sell it to a company so it can be milked for revenue instead of handing off to someone else from the community who can continue it as a labour of love :rolleyes:

IDK maybe that's unfair of me but I've seen how poo poo like this goes in the past

tbh it's not like sr.c's current owner/leadership had any idea what to do with it either although I'm naturally suspicious of any sort of esports corporate ownership for obvious reasons

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
That doesn't exactly inspire confidence, no.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:rip:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

heehee posted:

what could they possibly do to make a speedrun leaderboard worse lol

Need to improve your times, gamer? Try our premium SpeedForce membership to get access to all the hottest strats and most detailed guides to the games you love to run. With SpeedForce, you not only get the leaderboards free to all Speedrun.com members, you can view the VODs of runs with leaderboard times within five places of you, so you can learn from the competition and really turn up the heat. Or, with SpeedForce Titanium, you can see every VOD submitted to our leaderboards, read detailed guides, and gain access to Discord servers dedicated to mastering your favorite games. Don't wait, runner - early-bird membership is a limited time offer, so secure your SpeedForce fast.

*Titanium membership applies on a per-game basis. To view complete VOD archives, purchase an additional membership per game, or, for a limited time, grant us access to two or more social media accounts for promotional purposes. We promise not to retweet any more racists!

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Kestral posted:

Need to improve your times, gamer? Try our premium SpeedForce membership to get access to all the hottest strats and most detailed guides to the games you love to run. With SpeedForce, you not only get the leaderboards free to all Speedrun.com members, you can view the VODs of runs with leaderboard times within five places of you, so you can learn from the competition and really turn up the heat. Or, with SpeedForce Titanium, you can see every VOD submitted to our leaderboards, read detailed guides, and gain access to Discord servers dedicated to mastering your favorite games. Don't wait, runner - early-bird membership is a limited time offer, so secure your SpeedForce fast.

*Titanium membership applies on a per-game basis. To view complete VOD archives, purchase an additional membership per game, or, for a limited time, grant us access to two or more social media accounts for promotional purposes. We promise not to retweet any more racists!
I threw up in my mouth a bit. Point made.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
My understanding is the src codebase is held together by having their team bang on the servers with a spanner 24 hours a day so I'm sure that the new developers they bring on will have no problems with working with it to expand functionality.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Kestral posted:

not reading all that but i said possibly

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Money for topping selected leaderboards at month end, provided you joined the speedrun.com partner program and follow program policy (ads).

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

Cash4WRs would be hype as balls

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

On the other hand, FIFA tournies have been sponsored by soccer clubs for ages and get quite a bit of mainstream media attention. Similarly for some other esports events / game tournaments.

I think it would be cool if speedrunning as an "esport" could make it to that level.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

SeXReX posted:

My understanding is the src codebase is held together by having their team bang on the servers with a spanner 24 hours a day

so that's where radium went

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Careful, that's a load bearing WR

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

I would care more about the community aspect. Like, Stiv is a rapist, but it was up to the individual communities to decide if they wanted to strip his time, not a Speedrun.Com decision. Do they plan to have better... community moderation?
Speedrun.com is kind of lovely right now anyways:
It's extremely slow
It's actually kind of hard to organize games that try to get complex with categories or consoles
Stiv has a time on the leaderboards
It becomes inaccessible really often.

So unless they break what already exists I don't think too much bad will happen. There's a lot of scam eSports orgs out there, but usually they don't have an existing product, so DotaBuff existing is a Good Sign.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Well it could become worse if they become like Twitch and Streamlabs, who are actively providing income to Stiv's co-rapist GiantWaffle.

It does seem like opportunities have been missed, like this year was primed for speedrunning to break out in a way that it definitely hasn't so... maybe the new ownership can help in that regard? Speedrun the optimism!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Some better news: the frame fatales schedule is up

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

That's gonna be an event I can't really watch at all since every day EU time from 8 AM to 11 PM is scheduled for sleep.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

Oh some of these runs are gonna be rad. Here's hoping they'll upload them onto Youtube since I'm gonna be at work during some of them.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

TeaJay posted:

That's gonna be an event I can't really watch at all since every day EU time from 8 AM to 11 PM is scheduled for sleep.
Yeah. Sleep blocks are 07:00-22:00 for me, so any day where I work morning the following day I can, at best, watch one run. And even if I don't work the majority of the runs are during hours I'd be sleeping anyway. Frame Fatales is cool but this is a really Europe-unfriendly schedule, heh.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

Studio posted:

I would care more about the community aspect. Like, Stiv is a rapist, but it was up to the individual communities to decide if they wanted to strip his time, not a Speedrun.Com decision. Do they plan to have better... community moderation?
Speedrun.com is kind of lovely right now anyways:
It's extremely slow
It's actually kind of hard to organize games that try to get complex with categories or consoles
Stiv has a time on the leaderboards
It becomes inaccessible really often.

So unless they break what already exists I don't think too much bad will happen. There's a lot of scam eSports orgs out there, but usually they don't have an existing product, so DotaBuff existing is a Good Sign.

They kind of address that in the thread. Stiv and Fatbody are directly asked about and one of them responded:

quote:

We're not planning to reverse any account bans (generally speaking, the rules and enforcement of the rules is the same as it was before Elo). We're also still not going to discuss ban reasons for specific users publicly, if these users are unsure of why they were banned they can contact a Full Mod such as myself (though IIRC they should already know).

Stiv doesn't have a time listed for Banjo anymore, just the 1545, Star Fox 64, and Mario Party. Weirds me out that he's on a Star Fox board, but I'm only a mod of Star Fox 2 and don't really know how to bring that up.

Someone else recently made a big post complaining about community censorship and "why are these records not standing when they are WR's" or whatever, guess we'll see how they respond to that.

Edit: In actual speedrun news, I'll be in Completithon at 10 EDT (in about 6 hours) playing Star Fox 2 Expert 100%

E2: Got called up early and that was a disaster. Like to think I handled it well, but it was an exercise in "How can Star Fox 2 go wrong?"

Oyster fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 18, 2020

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

metroid prime speedruns are so sick

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
technically this is only speedrun adjacent, but a new glitch was found in Pokemon Ruby!

...by a fish.

https://twitter.com/Mutekimaru_ch/status/1312384220791070721

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D. Ebdrup posted:

The same is true of Nier, and also the Drakengard series, if memory serves. Might also apply to the Kings Field series, it's been too long for me to remember for sure.

Drakengard definitely does not and I don't think Nier does either.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Acerbatus posted:

Drakengard definitely does not and I don't think Nier does either.

Automata does, Replicant/Gestalt don't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kirbysuperstar posted:

Automata does, Replicant/Gestalt don't

Oh yeah I meant Replicant specifically, Automata has a lot of endings for random stuff.