Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just think how wide you could make the trains. You could have a train big enough to swing a cat in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

:swoon:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Why don't we have sunroof trains, anyway? Obviously for overhead-wire systems it'd be a bit boring (and a bit dangerous, I suppose) but drat it would be nice to be able to look up a bit.

Also while I have solidarity with my RMT and ASLEF comrades, we need ATO on all lines so everyone can have the DLR experience of sitting at the front and pretending to drive.

(My mate had the idea of selling little stick-on fake controls you could stick on top of the control panel cover at the front of DLR trains to complete the experience and I still think he could make a fortune with both kids and certain adults by doing that)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Literally completely unrelated to the above, but anyone know when the store is back? The perfect new username has just popped into my head and I can finally dump this placeholder name that's old enough to vote.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1316116556628340742

What an extremely cool and good public sphere this country has

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Why don't we have sunroof trains, anyway? Obviously for overhead-wire systems it'd be a bit boring (and a bit dangerous, I suppose) but drat it would be nice to be able to look up a bit.

Also while I have solidarity with my RMT and ASLEF comrades, we need ATO on all lines so everyone can have the DLR experience of sitting at the front and pretending to drive.

(My mate had the idea of selling little stick-on fake controls you could stick on top of the control panel cover at the front of DLR trains to complete the experience and I still think he could make a fortune with both kids and certain adults by doing that)

The Americans had trains with bubbles on top you could look out of, they died because :capitalism: basically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dome_car

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 13, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/RopesToInfinity/status/1316123389149548545?s=19

Lol

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

jabby posted:

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1316084903990173701
Theresa May suggested stacking SAGE with "business people" so they would stop advising lockdowns.

See I thought May would have handled the pandemic better. I'm always wrong.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The Americans had trains with bubbles on top you could look out of, they died because :capitalism: basically.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dome_car

God, imagine if the Americans had really gone all-in on passenger rail. We'd have had nuclear-powered 3-mile-long trains crossing the Atlantic on a bridge made out of all the poo poo they didn't make cars out of.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I loving know right? You've got this flat-rear end country the size of a continent mostly built after the invention of the railroad and you're like "nah we need interstate highways lol"

Let's demolish big chunks of city. Why? Because MORE CARS.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 13, 2020

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Anybody who wouldn't do this is too preoccupied with what random strangers will think of them and/or lacks any joy in their life.

They'll also 100% do it when nobody is looking.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

God, imagine if the Americans had really gone all-in on passenger rail. We'd have had nuclear-powered 3-mile-long trains crossing the Atlantic on a bridge made out of all the poo poo they didn't make cars out of.

I have this memory of a Thunderbirds episode where they were mining a tunnel across the Atlantic for a train & I just remember wishing it was real even as a kid.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Miftan posted:

Anybody who wouldn't do this is too preoccupied with what random strangers will think of them and/or lacks any joy in their life.

They'll also 100% do it when nobody is looking.

I used to do it on the top of the bus but I stopped when I started being able to drive and now I try as hard as possible to not remember driving when on the bus :v:

forkboy84 posted:

I have this memory of a Thunderbirds episode where they were mining a tunnel across the Atlantic for a train & I just remember wishing it was real even as a kid.

I think the easiest way would actually be to go north from Norway to Greenland across the arctic circle, rather than digging under the atlantic. Same route as nuclear missiles :v:

At least you would be able to go overland, conceivably, across part of it rather than digging as much tunnel.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 13, 2020

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

See I thought May would have handled the pandemic better. I'm always wrong.

It's a weird story because journalists are focusing on the fact Johnson "mansplained" what SAGE means to May, but actually "the S stands for Scientific" is a perfectly appropriate response to the loving ghoulish idea of stacking it with yes-men because you didn't like the advice.

Also I've always thought Boris is, if anything, better than May. He's an incompetent fuckhead, but his childlike need to be loved might mean he accidentally does something that benefits someone, unlike May who couldn't give a poo poo how much everybody hated her.

jabby fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 13, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Frankly I'm surprised the counterargument wasn't some sort of "business science" person.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Or trampling over the science with wrong science that you got out of misunderstanding a textbook, like his cousin Alan*.

*This is canon now.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
"Economics is a Science!"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Which is why we're going with Politics, Philosophy, and Economics Medpro registered in Sark.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I loving know right? You've got this flat-rear end country the size of a continent

I mean the size is kind of the problem. It'll work a lot better in 2000AD when everyone's in megacities though.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I do enjoy how "oh no Labour did call for it but only if it was safe" gets blown to gently caress when it turns out "nope, re-open, I am saying nothing about how efficient it should be, just re-open"

Also we are probably going to lockdown again soon. I don't know for how long or what purpose atm though.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
noted flat country the USA

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's a lot of flat bits in it.

On average it's flatter than my bit of the UK and my bit of the UK still has trains in it.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I loving know right? You've got this flat-rear end country the size of a continent mostly built after the invention of the railroad and you're like "nah we need interstate highways lol"

Let's demolish big chunks of city. Why? Because MORE CARS.

It was called the “National System of Interstate and Defense Highways” because Americans were paranoid they'd need highways to evacuate the cities when the Russkies nuked them. How much of that was actually a motivating factor is debatable.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I used to do it on the top of the bus but I stopped when I started being able to drive and now I try as hard as possible to not remember driving when on the bus :v:

I think the easiest way would actually be to go north from Norway to Greenland across the arctic circle, rather than digging under the atlantic. Same route as nuclear missiles :v:

At least you would be able to go overland, conceivably, across part of it rather than digging as much tunnel.
Let's worry about the train across the Bering Strait first. Going from Paris to LA baby, awooo. Although even in this fantasy scenario it'd take a couple days but would still rule

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I definitely don't think you'd get me on a tunnel under the atlantic.

I haven't ever even been on a city underground much less that far. gently caress knows about the chunnel. Also once I got to the other end I'd be in france.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
An Atlantic tunnel would have to cope with the pretty loving big wall of fire all the way across it. Although I suppose you could stop off in Iceland for duty frees and the penis museum.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
A common African mode of thought is that it's not really a border unless you have to slip someone some pocket change to allow the bus through without problems, so with much cleverness the Tories have put that bit in Kent.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An Atlantic tunnel would have to cope with the pretty loving big wall of fire all the way across it. Although I suppose you could stop off in Iceland for duty frees and the penis museum.

Only a coward would let plate tectonics get in the way of the train. Train cannot be stopped

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

Only a coward would let plate tectonics get in the way of the train. Train cannot be stopped

Did you see that film Snowpiercer?

quote:

The film stars Chris Evans, Song Kang-ho, Tilda Swinton, Jamie Bell, Octavia Spencer, Go Ah-sung, John Hurt, and Ed Harris. It takes place aboard the Snowpiercer train as it travels a globe-spanning track, carrying the last remnants of humanity after a failed attempt at climate engineering to stop global warming has created a new Snowball Earth. Evans stars as Curtis Everett, one of the lower-class tail-section passengers, as they rebel against the elite of the front of the train. Filming took place at Barrandov Studios in Prague, using train car sets mounted on gimbals to simulate the train's motion.

The people at the back of the train are low class, they eat some kind of protein slabs (which we find out what they are made of part way through the film), and plan a revolution and try to make it to the front of the train. The train continually follows a global track.

Read more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowpiercer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The train is a metaphor for capitalism, as far as I know, which is why it keeps going despite the fact that it clearly shouldn't (I have not seen the film)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

The train is a metaphor for capitalism, as far as I know, which is why it keeps going despite the fact that it clearly shouldn't (I have not seen the film)

Yes it is a metaphor for that. It's designed to keep going but when the guy leading the revolt finally makes it to the front of the train he finds out how it is kept going.

It's a good film, worth watching.

Ed: seems it's been made into a series this year.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 14, 2020

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Josef bugman posted:

I do enjoy how "oh no Labour did call for it but only if it was safe" gets blown to gently caress when it turns out "nope, re-open, I am saying nothing about how efficient it should be, just re-open"

Also we are probably going to lockdown again soon. I don't know for how long or what purpose atm though.

To stop the NHS collapsing. If it wasn't for that hard reality they wouldn't give a gently caress.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Always a good read Twisto :D
---

Entirely unrelated, at least someone is finally putting to rest an age old thread debate:
https://twitter.com/walkers_crisps/status/1316013709316161546

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

jabby posted:

Delay is literally all you can do unless a vaccine emerges though. Delay via effective track, trace and isolate would be far preferable, but if the government can't achieve that then I'll take delay via repeated lockdown.

It's not though, several countries have managed to sort their poo poo out without a vaccine.

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Pesky Splinter posted:

---

Entirely unrelated, at least someone is finally putting to rest an age old thread debate:

I was talking about that in discord the other day. The ‘new’ shapes are loving awful. They’ve got a different texture to them; smoother and less crumbly. They’re basically like Space Invaders, and quite a lot smaller than the old style.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Pesky Splinter posted:

---

Didn't the old original 80s ads showed these were footprints.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
They're actually monster udders :cthulhu:

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Lungboy posted:

It's not though, several countries have managed to sort their poo poo out without a vaccine.

The countries that have "sorted their poo poo out" did so with an effective initial lockdown followed by very good test, trace and isolate programs. They are maintaining their poo poo-sorted status by continuing those programs in conjunction with stringent travel restrictions. New Zealand, for example, still has practically closed borders.

Does that sound like a long-term solution to you? Because it's not. Covid is either still moving through the populations of those countries, albeit slowly, or it will do the moment measures are relaxed. The only way out of continuing rigid population movement controls and test/trace/isolate systems is to vaccinate, or you go back to exponential spread as we are currently discovering.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

jabby posted:

Also I've always thought Boris is, if anything, better than May. He's an incompetent fuckhead, but his childlike need to be loved might mean he accidentally does something that benefits someone, unlike May who couldn't give a poo poo how much everybody hated her.

Jabby, as a doctor you're absolutely the last person who should be thinking that. Johnson U-turns on or half-arses every COVID safety measure that would have an effect as soon as he sees they're unpopular, because he wants to be loved by the people. And May is much more likely to have done what was necessary regardless of whether it was popular because again as you say, she didn't care if she was hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

DUP won't do poo poo without Boris' permission.

One of the seven NI deaths in the last 24 hours was an old neighbour of mine.
Her husband is in hospital with it at the moment too, he was the one people were saying wouldn't survive it due to his health, its a surprise she died as she was like a sturdy warhorse all her life.
Its a bit of a shock to the town, its the first 'covid funeral' here, no wake, no one allowed to mass or grave side, just straight into the grave tomorrow morning.
Hopefully will wise some people up in the area.

I'm sorry. This is an horrendous situation :(