Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Is Chainsawman really considered thought provoking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'm constantly thinking about Chainsaw Man so yes

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pewdiepie posted:

I don't find this manga very good or thought provoking in the way everyone else seems to think it is.

I like the big dumb man made of chainsaws who just wants to be happy and comfortable

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Hypocrisy posted:

family burger

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Dance Dance Revolution

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Pewdiepie posted:

I don't find this manga very good or thought provoking in the way everyone else seems to think it is.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Pewdiepie posted:

That wasnt very family of you

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hypocrisy posted:

I think about the part where they take turns kicking that guy in the balls every day

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

RatHat posted:

You disliking it just makes me like it even more.

I hope you uh... get brain treatment for whatever makes you feel that way because I don't see why my opinion has any bearing on the opinion of some internet stranger.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

I like the big dumb man made of chainsaws who just wants to be happy and comfortable

So are you saying that you currently enjoy this manga? Because I don't feel like it's about a man made of chainsaws who wants to make his way through life anymore. To me I feel this manga is just constantly escalating and raising the stakes but with very little rhyme or reason or narrative. That's how I feel at least.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Hypocrisy posted:

I feel like the 2-3 pages of spoiler laden discussion that starts every week after chapter spoilers drop does qualify this manga as thought provoking and to deny that perception is being willfully obtuse. Furthermore I believe that Fujimoto has changed tact over the past couple months and is squarely aiming to create a thought provoking manga that defies expectations. It misses the mark for me. But yes I think this manga is aiming for cerebral.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
While Pewdiepie is certainly doing some performative threadshitting, I do think the current arc has removed much of Chainsawman's appeal.

To me at least, the core hook was the trio's dysfunctional found family. Now that Power and Aki are dead, and Makima is revealed as Ms. Moriarty von Yandere, the heart of the manga has gone cold. The fights are cool spectacle, but I'm not invested in whatever mook is getting ganked this week. The mythic worldbuilding reveals are neat, but without characters to react to it, the audience doesn't have a reason to care.

If hollow spectacle is all we have to look forward to, I'm hoping the series A) wraps up asap or B) hits a big ol' reset button.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Pewdiepie posted:

I feel like the 2-3 pages of spoiler laden discussion that starts every week after chapter spoilers drop does qualify this manga as thought provoking and to deny that perception is being willfully obtuse. Furthermore I believe that Fujimoto has changed tact over the past couple months and is squarely aiming to create a thought provoking manga that defies expectations. It misses the mark for me. But yes I think this manga is aiming for cerebral.

being sincere here but are you going to keep reading it or not bother?

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Squidster posted:

While Pewdiepie is certainly doing some performative threadshitting, I do think the current arc has removed much of Chainsawman's appeal.

To me at least, the core hook was the trio's dysfunctional found family. Now that Power and Aki are dead, and Makima is revealed as Ms. Moriarty von Yandere, the heart of the manga has gone cold. The fights are cool spectacle, but I'm not invested in whatever mook is getting ganked this week. The mythic worldbuilding reveals are neat, but without characters to react to it, the audience doesn't have a reason to care.

If hollow spectacle is all we have to look forward to, I'm hoping the series A) wraps up asap or B) hits a big ol' reset button.

Seriously? Expressing my opinions is not thread making GBS threads.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don’t agree with these posters at all but I don’t think they are saying any thing bad. Maybe pewdiepies first post was him being a bit of a gadfly but w/e

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Jose posted:

being sincere here but are you going to keep reading it or not bother?

I'm always sincere. I'm going to see it through to the end. I've definitely read worse manga, and I am curious if Chainsaw man can regain some of its previous form, or become more interesting to me because I do think Fujimoto is a talented mangaka.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I feel I should mention something that I do find genuinely interesting/thought provoking about this manga (and particularly this thread) is when people dig through earlier chapters and discover symmetry in composition between different chapters or subtle foreshadowing. Stuff like that really helps to sell this manga as goofy, but with a surprising amount of thought and care put in.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Squidster posted:

I agree with this, but the vast bulk of Chainsaw man is so good from all angles: the designs, the art, the humor, the action, the characters etc that I'm going to stick with it.

Losing Power and Aki was rly tough though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Pewdiepie posted:

So are you saying that you currently enjoy this manga? Because I don't feel like it's about a man made of chainsaws who wants to make his way through life anymore. To me I feel this manga is just constantly escalating and raising the stakes but with very little rhyme or reason or narrative. That's how I feel at least.

Genuine answer, I need to see how this arc resolves itself. Denji started the series in a bad way, then found a family. It was taken from him, he tried to give up, and the current question is whether or not this is his giving up.

I...don't know if we'll get those fun, makeshift family moments again, but I'd like to believe there is something better for Denji at the end of all this suffering. That's why I'm still reading. I fully expected Denji to get literally and figuratively dragged through hell, so now we just wait to see what happens next.

I totally understand if people hop off, though. I miss Power.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Squidster posted:

I don't disagree with you that this arc is less resonant, but, although they were important, I don't think the found family was essential. Power and Aki were hardly in the Reze arc, and that was one of the best in the manga so far. What's missing here is Denji.

This whole manga has been about this stumbling dumbass teen trying to grope his way through the dark to some kind of maturity, taking hit after hit and coming up grinning. Poochita is the heart of Chainsaw Man the character, but Denji is the heart of Chainsaw Man the manga, and Denji's been out cold since chapter 82.

At its best, Chainsaw Man combines over-the-top ridiculousness with a core humanity. (Most prominently with Denji, but with the supporting cast, too.) That's part of why the Kobeni chapters were so good. Most of us have worked a miserable job, so Kobeni's initial misery was relatable, and her terror and desperation felt like something we could imagine doing, making the whole thing funnier. Right now, though, we've got a demonic superhero blowing up skyscrapers in battle against one of the four horsemen with the fate of reality at stake, and the fate of reality matters much less to the reader than, say, how Denji feels after finding out his crush is an assassin hired to kill him.

I'm pretty sure the manga can get back on track (just getting Denji awake again is going to change things), but for the moment we're stepping away from the real emotional stakes to focus on spectacle, and while that's fun for a while, it's less satisfying long term.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It’s too early to tell imo, like if this is end game that’s fine if it’s not then what comes after etc. Were in a transitory moment ha5 hasn’t let up or had a normal since power and Aki were owned. It hasn’t been very long

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Genuine answer, I need to see how this arc resolves itself. Denji started the series in a bad way, then found a family. It was taken from him, he tried to give up, and the current question is whether or not this is his giving up.

I...don't know if we'll get those fun, makeshift family moments again, but I'd like to believe there is something better for Denji at the end of all this suffering. That's why I'm still reading. I fully expected Denji to get literally and figuratively dragged through hell, so now we just wait to see what happens next.

I totally understand if people hop off, though. I miss Power.

That would be cool. I can't imagine how to stuff the rabbit back into the hat at this point but my limited imagination has never stopped the boundless imaginations of manga writers.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm loving the series still but yeah I'm ready to move on from Denji being Chainsaw Man. It's very loving cool and I'm enjoying every chapter, but I want to see what happens moving forward. There really isn't a status quo anymore, so we're headed into new territory. It's not like Denji will just go back to devil hunting after killing Makima.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

EmmyOk posted:

I don't like how unbothered Makima still is. Not sure if that's due to her nature as Control devil, but it just feels horribly like this is all as expected. Perhaps according to keikaku...

If anything, she looks slightly excited whenever something goes wrong. There's just a little upturn to her mouth, a half-smile of excitement and the thought that "Oh no, I can't be sure what will happen next!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

If anything, she looks slightly excited whenever something goes wrong. There's just a little upturn to her mouth, a half-smile of excitement and the thought that "Oh no, I can't be sure what will happen next!"

Yeah, from Denji resisting orders to Kishibe calling her on her PR lines to her team getting dragged to Hell, Makima's always seemed a bit happy when things go off script.

This combines that pleasure with her... let's call them personal feelings on Chainsaw to give us the big smiles she's been showing lately.

Right now, it seems pretty clear Makima is to Chainsaw as Haruko is to Atomsk. Which fits with her being the lawful evil(ish) counterpart to Haruko's chaotic villainy.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

I've had complex feelings about Chainsaw Man that I worked through ever since Power's death and frankly I feel like at this point Chainsaw Man is a different beast than what it used to be. I don't think you can undo that and if you can and not make it feel like a cop-out then bravo to Fujimoto.

The thing is that Chainsaw Man felt like Fujimoto was interested in holding back on his impulses and living with his story decisions for long enough that I can actually care about the people involved. Now it's clear, from Makima's very meta motivations, that the point was to lull me into a false sense of some security and explode out the scope and story harsher and faster than even Fire Punch to a certain extent.

And Power being pointedly and unceremoniously off'd while Aki got multiple chapters of pathos and time devoted to his death, just feels like she didn't matter beyond her metaphorical role. (her name is Power. outside of the biblical allusions, it's extremely on the nose) And given that Power unquestionably became the heart of Denji's found happiness, it sucks that we didn't get her perspective.

Is Chainsaw Man fun still? Hell yeah the Kobeni stuff ruled. But I don't think I can ever get as invested in Denji's story as much as I was before. Fujimoto played Duck, Duck, Goose so well that I genuinely did not want the goose he was hiding the whole time.

Gwen fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 14, 2020

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
power probably isn't having a great time right now, but she(?) is probably alive in hell. i don't think there's been enough details about fiends to tell how much power will retain of their time as denji's idiot sister, though.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

power probably isn't having a great time right now, but she(?) is probably alive in hell. i don't think there's been enough details about fiends to tell how much power will retain of their time as denji's idiot sister, though.

She'll be back...

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Squidster posted:

I don't like the current arc anymore either, basically since last chapter. I obviously don't like Aki and Power biting it, but it fits the tone. But this current one sides slaughter fits neither the tone, nor the humor and it doubles down one ridiculous and ill fitting notion that Chainsaw eats stuff out of existence. I'm perfectly fine with it using powers that "fit" chainsaws like tying people up, but the whole eating stuff out of existence is just there. It doesn't fit. (yet at least)

I fully expect Fujimoto to pull something out of his rear end like he did 2 chapters ago with the hamburgers which will get me back on board, but this last chapter just wasn't good.

Archer666 posted:

She'll be back...

This however is good.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Darth TNT posted:

But this current one sides slaughter fits neither the tone, nor the humor and it doubles down one ridiculous and ill fitting notion that Chainsaw eats stuff out of existence. I'm perfectly fine with it using powers that "fit" chainsaws like tying people up, but the whole eating stuff out of existence is just there. It doesn't fit. (yet at least)

So I don't watch horror, but following this thread I understand the author loves their movie references. So I am going to guess, even though I have not seen it, that Texas Chainsaw Massacre has cannibals or some sort of horror related thing to it somehow. Maybe Evil Dead?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the one-sided slaughter isn't really a triumph. for one thing, it isn't denji at the wheel. for another, aside from the burgin' none of this is anything denji would want to do. and finally, the chainsaw demon killing things is a big deal with frankly ridiculous consequences that poochita barely even notices. by the time denji resurfaces a whole lot of stuff will have changed in bizarre ways which he will almost certainly be blamed for.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
We're seeing the version of the Chainsaw Devil that Makima knew right now, and I think that's supposed to be there so we can see what Denji will turn that into. We've seen Denji, we're seeing what Pochita was, and we're probably going to see the proper synthesis at the end of this when/if he properly defeats Makima or self-actualizes and breaks her control.

One version I could see happening is Denji gaining a feeling of real self worth (meaning Makima cannot control him) and just walking away from all of this. Makima says she'll destroy any happiness he finds, Denji is like "lol I'll just beat you every single time you try" and does so. That seems like that would be the ultimate defeat for Makima because she's cool with either having Denji under her thumb, or even him eating her and erasing her from existence. Real defeat would be her being forced to understand she can never ever have him and living forever knowing that.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.

Fabricated posted:

Real defeat would be her being forced to understand she can never ever have him and living forever knowing that.

Man, I am HOPING for this ending, and would obviously be the most narratively satisfying. I know this story likes to throw us curveballs, but I can't help but think we're headed in that direction, after the Nihilistic, yet strangely hopeful ending to Fire Punch.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
I'm hoping for a real Pochita Ex Machina that will make everything okay in the end with the love of dogs, the only real love.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Elijah Snow posted:

I'm hoping for a real Pochita Ex Machina that will make everything okay in the end with the love of dogs, the only real love.

based on what i've read itt about fire punch i'm not sure about this

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

We're seeing the version of the Chainsaw Devil that Makima knew right now, and I think that's supposed to be there so we can see what Denji will turn that into. We've seen Denji, we're seeing what Pochita was, and we're probably going to see the proper synthesis at the end of this when/if he properly defeats Makima or self-actualizes and breaks her control.

One version I could see happening is Denji gaining a feeling of real self worth (meaning Makima cannot control him) and just walking away from all of this. Makima says she'll destroy any happiness he finds, Denji is like "lol I'll just beat you every single time you try" and does so. That seems like that would be the ultimate defeat for Makima because she's cool with either having Denji under her thumb, or even him eating her and erasing her from existence. Real defeat would be her being forced to understand she can never ever have him and living forever knowing that.

chainsawman has to eat a thing to obliterate it, not just kill it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
fire punch had a happy ending

Meadowhill
Jan 5, 2015
I'm sort of interested in what way the act of consumption will be framed. Is it an act of intimacy and obsessive love or hatred and violence. Makima seems to be in to it because destroying the concept of something is the ultimate act of control.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, assuming Denji comes back soonish (the most natural course, but you never know with this manga), the next obvious callback is to Denji and Himeno's morning conversation after they nearly hosed, and that's a bit that brings us right back to the emotional beats that make this manga so good.

"So, Denji, you like Makima too?"

"I super like her."

"Would you like her even if her personality was crap?"

"I like crap."

Denji's finally had his ignorance about Makima ripped away, so it's time to see if this is going to be another time he failed to predict his future reaction like with Aki's death, or if, like Reze, Denji's going to be pretty forgiving of murder when it's enacted by a girl he likes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
my only complaint about the current arc is holy poo poo the action is hard to follow. i'm not sure if it's the new Chainsaw design or if Fujimoto just overestimated his artistic ability, but i've had to read these last couple chapters multiple times to figure out who's getting maimed and how. it's just kinda weird, cause that's not a problem i've had at all with this series until now.