Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

sean10mm posted:

That's actually incorrect and varies by motherboard. Several of them disable SATA ports if ANY M.2 drive is used in the 2nd M.2 slot.

e.g. from the specs for the Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming:

"* When the M.2_2 Socket 3 is populated , SATA6G_5/6 ports will be disabled."

That’s what I get for assuming the way my board works is consistent across the spec.

Asema posted:

my mobo came in a box that wasn't really sealed, most of the parts that came today had at least a sticker that i had to cut through except the mobo. Everything is in there, the stuff that should be in sealed bags are there, and the mobo itself is still in the anti-static bag with security tape on it.

Should I be paranoid is that fine

If all the bags are sealed, and they look like the actually retail bags, and nothing is missing you’re fine. Boxes sometimes don’t come with seal tape. And even if it did, they get opened all the time. poo poo like returns or to verify nothing was damaged or that everything is there, or some back stock idiot that went too far with the box cutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everything but my psu came today :sludgepal:

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

I have a be quiet! Dark Base Proo 900 rev. 2 (jesus christ) and I really like it, but I feel like the out-of-box airflow isn't great with my set up (i9-10900k, Noctua NH-D15, MSI Gaming X Trio 3080, and a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti). It comes with 3 fans (2 in the front and 1 in the back), but there are another 7 possible places I can place fans.

Given that both cards are open-air, how/where should I place additional fans to maximize airflow while keeping noise down?

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

space marine todd posted:

I have a be quiet! Dark Base Proo 900 rev. 2 (jesus christ) and I really like it, but I feel like the out-of-box airflow isn't great with my set up (i9-10900k, Noctua NH-D15, MSI Gaming X Trio 3080, and a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti). It comes with 3 fans (2 in the front and 1 in the back), but there are another 7 possible places I can place fans.

Given that both cards are open-air, how/where should I place additional fans to maximize airflow while keeping noise down?

Fill the front and bottom with intake PWM fans, back is a pwm exhaust.

Then on the top we want exhaust but only after air gets to your cpu cooler.

Basically this:

Then use your motherboard to change change fans speed based on system temp or cpu temp. Some people get a "commander pro" to tie their case fans to the GPU temps.

Silence comes from turning fans down at idle. Like my wife's computer has 6 corsair LL 120 fans (not known for silence at all) but you cant even tell the computer is on since a 35C motherboard makes them run at 750RPMs, 45C motherboard is 1200 rpms.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

spunkshui posted:

Fill the front and bottom with intake PWM fans, back is a pwm exhaust.

Then on the top we want exhaust but only after air gets to your cpu cooler.

Basically this:

Then use your motherboard to change change fans speed based on system temp or cpu temp. Some people get a "commander pro" to tie their case fans to the GPU temps.

Silence comes from turning fans down at idle. Like my wife's computer has 6 corsair LL 120 fans (not known for silence at all) but you cant even tell the computer is on since a 35C motherboard makes them run at 750RPMs, 45C motherboard is 1200 rpms.

Awesome. Thank you.

What are the best fans that optimize for both cooling and noise?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'm running an i5 3570K build with an SSD and 8GB of 667 MHz RAM. By and large it's probably not a kick in the teeth away from the general performance of your old system. My GPU is ancient compared with the 1080 though, it's an AMD Radeon 7950 Boost.

Outside of gaming, have you noticed much of a performance difference with stuff like web browsing, application loading, booting, responsiveness, that sort of thing?

Yes, I didn't realize how I was CPU-limited in nearly everything, and your CPU is basically on-par with my old one.

Gaming performance has increased significantly, games like Kingdom Come went from 20ish fps on Very High to steady 50-60fps on Ultra. Games like Subnautica and CK2 that used to take minutes to load up, now load in <10 seconds.

Web browsing is significantly faster, not sure if that's the new NVME drive or the CPU, but jeez-Louise-Papa-Cheese: it's fast!

sean10mm posted:

Basically 90% of this thread's recommendations emphasize "bang for the buck" and not absolute performance. The thing about Zen 3 is that, assuming the marketing claims are true (and AMD weren't egregious liars about their previous Zen products), it's real loving good... but AMD basically positioned it above anything we normally recommend here price-wise, except maybe the 5600X at $300ish. Nobody knows if/when they're going to fill out the lineup with like 5600/5700X tier products that would be more in this thread's wheelhouse either. So our CPU recommendations are kind of in a holding pattern of 3600/3700X or maybe 5600X (TBD)

On the graphics card side RTX 3070 for $499+ is also pretty spicy by this thread's cost standards, but it apparently has the performance of the stupendously expensive RTX 2080Ti so it looks like a good value proposition for higher budget (by this thread's standards) builds. if 4K is your thing you probably want a RTX 3080 and can suck up the $700+ price.

But again: there are no reviews for the 5600X and RTX 3070 because they haven't been released yet, so this is still kind of speculative.

If you're less concerned about value and more concerned bout building a baller system with a bigger budget (let's call it $1500+) then you absolutely want Zen 3 and RTX 30. We need independent reviews to be 100% sure, but it's shaping up like Zen 3 is basically going to beat intel's rear end at almost literally everything for any given core count, while also having PCIe 4.0 and lower heat/power consumption still.

I'm thinking the mid-range budget sweetspot right now is to get a 3600 and plan to upgrade to a 5800 when the prices stabilize next year or the year after. If you don't want to tick-tock upgrade, go with the 3700 and plan for it to last through the console generation. 1080p gaming should pair it with a GTX1660 or wait for a 3070/3080 for 1440/4K.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Awesome. Thank you.

They're expensive (and ugly unless you spend extra $), but Noctua is the gold standard. Quiet as gently caress when low RPM, but push insane air at high RPM. If the cost is ok, I'd fill it with 140 Noctuas where they fit.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Kingnothing posted:

They're expensive (and ugly unless you spend extra $), but Noctua is the gold standard. Quiet as gently caress when low RPM, but push insane air at high RPM. If the cost is ok, I'd fill it with 140 Noctuas where they fit.

The NF-A14 PWMs? It looks like they come in Chromax black so that works great for me.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

The NF-A14 PWMs? It looks like they come in Chromax black so that works great for me.

Yeah those. The Chromax are like $4-5 more than the brown if it matters to you. In my system I don't hear them at 60% speed or below, and they push so much more air than my fractal 140mm at full speed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Arctic is an alternative that is high performing but a lot less money than Noctua.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£276.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£79.99 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£139.98 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£204.49 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£94.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card (£733.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£111.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm Fan (£18.03 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1758.13
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 20:06 BST+0100

What country are you in: United Kingdom
What are you using the system for? Gaming, WFH gamedev
What's your budget? Between £1500 and £2000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I'm aiming to buy a new 1440p@144hz screen though I can't make up my mind on which one.

How's this for a starting point?

• I am open to a fun different case. I move house every year or so and might forseeably need to chuck the PC in a backpack and bring it on a plane, I'm not sure how well that works with tempered glass panels? Small is good, I've always had boring boxes and am down to party this time as long as I can turn off the lightshow. Also have no idea what I'm doing with case fans, same applies. Was looking at the Lian Li Lancool but that seems a bit too big to transport easily.
  • I'm swapping the CPU out for probably a zen3 5800X, want at least core parity with the new consoles.
  • 3080 is lol, am trying to score an FE which go for £650 but you know. Might end up doing an EVGA stepup off a 2xxx instead.
  • Getting some compatibility errors about CPU cooler needing a mounting bracket, what's going on there?
  • I'd like more storage, ideally a 2TB NVME SSD of some sorts--I have no idea how poo poo works with NVME slots, mobos, SSDs and whatnot--if I get a single WD Blue, can I still plug it in if I eventually grab a 2TB on a sale? Or is there a good one going now, prime day and so on. Main reason I'm posting now is so I can buy any SSDs that are on sale today.

Rhaka fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 13, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rhaka posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (£276.99 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£79.99 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M MORTAR WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£139.98 @ Box Limited)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£204.49 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£94.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card (£733.67 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£111.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1758.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 20:06 BST+0100

What country are you in: United Kingdom
What are you using the system for? Gaming, WFH gamedev
What's your budget? Between £1500 and £2000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I'm aiming to buy a new 1440p@144hz screen though I can't make up my mind on which one.

How's this for a starting point?

• I am open to a fun different case. I move house every year or so and might forseeably need to chuck the PC in a backpack and bring it on a plane, I'm not sure how well that works with tempered glass panels? Small is good, I've always had boring boxes and am down to party this time as long as I can turn off the lightshow. Also have no idea what I'm doing with case fans, same applies. Was looking at the Lian Li Lancool but that seems a bit too big to transport easily.
  • I'm swapping the CPU out for probably a zen3 5800X, want at least core parity with the new consoles.
  • 3080 is lol, am trying to score an FE which go for £650 but you know. Might end up doing an EVGA stepup off a 2xxx instead.
  • Getting some compatibility errors about CPU cooler needing a mounting bracket, what's going on there?
  • I'd like more storage, ideally a 2TB NVME SSD of some sorts--I have no idea how poo poo works with NVME slots, mobos, SSDs and whatnot--if I get a single WD Blue, can I still plug it in if I eventually grab a 2TB on a sale? Or is there a good one going now, prime day and so on. Main reason I'm posting now is so I can buy any SSDs that are on sale today.

The compatibility issue is a false alarm they never cleared up I believe. But the D15 is absolutely ridiculous overkill for a 3700X or even (probably) the 5800X.

In that case 2x140mm front is a better setup.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Awesome. Thank you.

All fans cool the same, you pay for noise reduction at higher RPMs.

a12x25 is Noctuas next generation fan but it only comes in 120mm currently.

If you’re buying an older released fan by noctua the competition have caught up in many ways.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Rhaka posted:

[*]I am open to a fun different case. I move house every year or so and might forseeably need to chuck the PC in a backpack and bring it on a plane

I guess overhead bins would physically fit a full-size atx case but I can't imagine a backpack that one would go in, and the entire experience would not be fun. I just got my nr200 ITX case and that's about the maximum size I'd be willing to take as hand luggage without it being a huge fuckabout

quote:

[*]I'm swapping the CPU out for probably a zen3 5800X, want at least core parity with the new consoles.

The 3700x is already a better version of what's in the new consoles.

quote:

[*]so I can buy any SSDs that are on sale today.

The SSD in your build is on sale today, I'd grab one if I was you. It's the standard recommendation for a decent NVME drive ITT. I've checked UK amazon and can't see any immediate 'gently caress me buy me now' sales for 2tb ones but yeah your motherboard can support another NVME later.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Kind of casually pieced something together to mull over. Planning on actually buying/building this within the next month or two.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($175.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($120.58 @ Amazon)
Total: $882.50
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 16:23 EDT-0400

I'm the guy who is still holding onto my 1070 for another year or so, so that's why there's no gpu listed.

I may also go for the fractal Define 7 compact instead of the Meshify, I like the look of that one a lot more.

This will be for gaming (including VR on a Rift S) and will hopefully last me through the next console cycle. I also casually do music production as a hobby and the occasional video editing, hence the ram overkill. I figure that would help me there and give me enough overhead to not have to like close chrome and stuff while I game. That said, would it be worth it to spring for a zen 3? I've always always had trouble running ableton on my PCs, I would love to have it work smoothly for a while.

a few stray points:
-Will the cpu cooler here help keep noise down or is it more for overclocking support? I'd like to keep things quiet.
-seems like no cases have places for a disc drive. I was hoping to swap my bluray drive into the new build for the rare occasion I need to rip or burn a disc. (I like to archive my movies and burn dreamcast games or whatever sometimes). Not too much of an issue since I'll still have my old pc.
-Anything on here look really dumb?
-I have no clue on the cpu here, based this off of a build on pcpartpicker.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Stan Taylor posted:

Kind of casually pieced something together to mull over. Planning on actually buying/building this within the next month or two.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Best Buy)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($25.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($175.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($88.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($120.58 @ Amazon)
Total: $882.50
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 16:23 EDT-0400

I'm the guy who is still holding onto my 1070 for another year or so, so that's why there's no gpu listed.

I may also go for the fractal Define 7 compact instead of the Meshify, I like the look of that one a lot more.

This will be for gaming (including VR on a Rift S) and will hopefully last me through the next console cycle. I also casually do music production as a hobby and the occasional video editing, hence the ram overkill. I figure that would help me there and give me enough overhead to not have to like close chrome and stuff while I game. That said, would it be worth it to spring for a zen 3? I've always always had trouble running ableton on my PCs, I would love to have it work smoothly for a while.

a few stray points:
-Will the cpu cooler here help keep noise down or is it more for overclocking support? I'd like to keep things quiet.
-seems like no cases have places for a disc drive. I was hoping to swap my bluray drive into the new build for the rare occasion I need to rip or burn a disc. (I like to archive my movies and burn dreamcast games or whatever sometimes). Not too much of an issue since I'll still have my old pc.
-Anything on here look really dumb?
-I have no clue on the cpu here, based this off of a build on pcpartpicker.

Consider the B550M Pro VDH or B550M Bazooka instead of the B450 Tomahawk Max, they're a big more modern and priced similarly.
Any 120mm tower cooler should be quite a bit quieter than stock. I don't know that the Hyper 212 is the best choice anymore though, that's just sort of become the default.
2x16 is more likely to run at 3600 CL16 speed without glitches than 4x8. If you want fast RAM I think Crucial Ballistix is like $1 more than G.skill now so just get that. That said you can drop to 3200 CL16 and save some money without really losing any IRL performance.
Get the SN550 instead of the old WD Blue. whoops, the SN550 doesn't come in 2 TB. But don't buy this, an M.2 drive that's not NVME is a waste of an M.2 slot, just use a regular SATA SSD if you don't want to pay extra for the NVME speed advantage.
The 3600 is still a fine bang for the buck choice, nothing in the new Zen 3 lineup is priced under $300. Video editing apps generally love more cores so the 3700X might be worth the bump if it doesn't break your budget.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 13, 2020

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

sean10mm posted:

The compatibility issue is a false alarm they never cleared up I believe. But the D15 is absolutely ridiculous overkill for a 3700X or even (probably) the 5800X.

In that case 2x140mm front is a better setup.

Cheers, swapped the fans around. Dropped the D15 in favor of a U14S, not sure if there's a better option to get. A cousin is hissing in my ear about getting an aio but... ehhhh.

Butterfly Valley posted:

I guess overhead bins would physically fit a full-size atx case but I can't imagine a backpack that one would go in, and the entire experience would not be fun. I just got my nr200 ITX case and that's about the maximum size I'd be willing to take as hand luggage without it being a huge fuckabout

The 3700x is already a better version of what's in the new consoles.

The SSD in your build is on sale today, I'd grab one if I was you. It's the standard recommendation for a decent NVME drive ITT. I've checked UK amazon and can't see any immediate 'gently caress me buy me now' sales for 2tb ones but yeah your motherboard can support another NVME later.

Yeah I think I'll grab that SSD, wasn't sure if I could pair it with a bigger PCIE4 one down the line. I was originally just gonna go 3700X but wanted to see what zen3 was doing. Bit annoyed that there's no 5700X and 5600X has less cores.. I'll see how much I can justify additional poor financial decisions.

I was considering a SFF case for a long time, but it looks like noise and thermals with a 3080 don't make that realistically possible. Not sure if that's correct, or maybe I should just ignore transportation and resign myself to stripping out components and paying too much for shipping.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
My 3700X and NH-U14S never get above 65C if you need piece of mind.

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Is this a decent motherboard? I had a Gigabyte board in the past and it ended up dying on me.

Gigabyte X570 AORUS Elite Primeday has it for $40 off.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

I have a Cougar QBX that I've flown with several times in a rollaboard bag. I have had to gate check it once on a regional leg/smaller plane, which I got a bit worried about, but had no issues.

I wasn't planning to make any changes but maybe I could get a smaller case that would fit in a backpack... And if I'm doing that anyways, may as well get a better PSU and install a RTX3080... And then I remember how tight it was at times getting everything to fit in a 20L case, putting it all in a case roughly half the size doesn't sound super fun.

I think I'll stick with what I have for now but my next build will probably be smaller.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Rhaka posted:

I was considering a SFF case for a long time, but it looks like noise and thermals with a 3080 don't make that realistically possible. Not sure if that's correct, or maybe I should just ignore transportation and resign myself to stripping out components and paying too much for shipping.

Not trying to cajole you one way or the other but it's absolutely viable, there's people sticking 3090s in sub 10l cases and making them perfectly usable so 3080 builds in something bigger like the nr200 are absolutely fine, air cooled or with AIOs.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Was chiming in to wonder why everyone is still putting builds together when Zen 3 launches in 3 weeks, then I saw this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903626&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post499984447

Rookoo posted:

Am I meant to be reading the crossed out text or something?

No, obviously you are not. There are a number of issues with building a new gaming-focused rig at the moment. If you are looking at a high-end 1440p or 4k then things are starting to come into focus. It is just a matter of seeing what RDNA 2 has to offer with respect to ray tracing and image upscaling as well as deciding on whether you are going to spring for Zen 2 or Zen 3. But for a more midrange budget system focused on 60+ 1440p or 1080p, it is still very muddy. Budget users ideally would want to wait and hope that Zen 3 exerts at least some downward pressure on remaining Zen 2 stock AND you want to find out what the midrange Nvidia 3070 / 3060Ti, as well as midrange RNDA, might or might not offer with respect to price to performance. Buying an RDNA 1 or Turing card for a budget/midrange system is just terrible value at the moment.

I encourage all midrange and budget users to wait if at all possible until US Thanksgiving season to shake things out a bit more. High-end users already know what they want. Zen 3 + RTX 3080. Maybe take a look at RDNA 2 at the end of this month when it is revealed since you can't really get a 3080 right now anyway.

edit:

Looking for a consensus on a general all-around B550 motherboard in both mATX and ATX format at the lower end of the price spectrum as a baseline model when the post gets revised.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The GPU prices are loving bonkers. I haven't built anything since bitcoin mining really took off. I think I bought my 970 for $200 or so.

Now even the most basic RTX ready card is $500.

gently caress me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

B550M Bazooka is basically a slightly better B450 Tomahawk MAX on the new chipset for $5 more near as I can tell. But mATX.

Or the Pro VDH WiFi for a cheaper but still good looking option.

Other than more USB ports I guess B550 gains little from moving to ATX due to its limited PCIe lanes compared to X570.

For ATX the Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro looks nice to me but is a bit much for a baseline budget rec. Maybe the next tier down (Elite? I forget.)

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 13, 2020

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
What's the difference between the WD Black SN750 and the Blue SN550 in layman's terms? Is the black worth the $20 difference for 1TB - $120 vs $100 for the blue right now on Amazon. Should I be ordering one (two? is that possible?) right now while they are cheap for my impending recommended Ryzen 5600x build?

Or do I just get whatever Samsung equivalent?

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I haven't built a computer since ~2011, and I need you goons' help in not being dumb with this.
Picking graphics cards seems straightforward enough, a 3080, but deciding on a specific card during all this launch bonanza is stressful. CPUs, motherboards and RAM are even worse, I don't remember jack about picking those.

Questionnaire from da OP posted:

Where - Houston, TX, USA :tif:

Uses - 70% games, 20% web browsing, poo poo posting and other youtubery, 10% movie/show watching through the nearby TV+couch.

Professional work - No. I have an employer-provided PC for all work stuff. It uses the same monitor and peripherals as my personal PC though. Mid-end construction design, engineering and architectural stuff, if that matters.

Budget - ~$2000-2500 for everything that goes in the box. I can re-use the case and other bits from my current PC as well. There's no time budget for this build so if I need to wait to the end of the year or whatever for deals or stock, that's cool with me.

Settings, Monitor & Resolution - Settings at high/ultra, as best I can get, reasonably. This is where I'll need the most help in not burning my money without seeing anything for it. For monitor/res.: 4k120hz or thereabouts. I have a 48" LG CX TV that I want to try out as a monitor, my desk is deep enough for it. But, if that doesn't work out, it can go back to being a nice TV and I'll look for whatever gives an effective increase in screen space from my current 27" 2560x1440. A new ratio might be fun to try out, maybe something in 3440x1440? I'm not sure I'm ready for a full double-wide monster but I won't rule it out.

Recyclable components from existing computer:tbear:
Case - Fractal Arctic R4, White
PSU - Corsair TX650 (99.9% sure this is my guy.)
Other bits - CD/DVD drive(lol), HDDs, SSDs, wireless/network card, Windows & Office, etc. licenses

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Pedialyte posted:

What's the difference between the WD Black SN750 and the Blue SN550 in layman's terms? Is the black worth the $20 difference for 1TB - $120 vs $100 for the blue right now on Amazon. Should I be ordering one (two? is that possible?) right now while they are cheap for my impending recommended Ryzen 5600x build?

Or do I just get whatever Samsung equivalent?

Samsung is overpriced, never buy their SSDs anymore unless STEEPLY discounted.

The SN750 is faster. There's your layman's terms. :v:

If your main concern is game load times then the difference is extremely minor and sometimes literally zero.

e: Evidence!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COofLeqk_tM&t=436s

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Since I've already been asking questions and doing research I will just go ahead and post the request here

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web browsing and gaming, that's about it[
What's your budget? I am looking at the $1500 range, which is kind of where the PC Part Picker Magnificent AMD Build is at. I will likely not be finishing putting everything together with this system until the end of this year, as I am waiting for GPU availability and I have more money at the end of the year. I plan to buy some stuff from holiday sales (just got the SSDs today)
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? My current monitor is 27'' 1080p and 60 hz. I plan to upgrade to a 4k monitor but that is probably going to be secondary to actually building the system. Ultimately I want to be able to play games in 4K by next year.

Some general ideas/questions for the build-

-Mid tower case with at least some front USB ports.
-For the MOBO (which I have the least knowledge of), possibly something with onboard WiFi capability (but this is not a dealbreaker). It also needs to have two 2280 M2 slots.
-I just bought two of the 1 TB NVME WD drives today so I have storage covered already. I am not really bringing anything over from my old computer as everything is getting pretty old. I have a portable SSD that I bought which I will keep, but that is probably it.
-I don't think I will need to be overclocking anything, so with that in mind, any suggestions about what kind of fans I would need in the case would be helpful as that is another area I don't know too much about. The one they recommend in the build below is out of stock and I don't know if there is a better alternative, or if I should just wait until it comes back into stock.
-Unsure about whether I need to do a 3080 or if the 3070 will be enough. I know we don't know enough about the 3070 yet so that is kind of up in the air for right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/LRxFf7/magnificent-amd-gamingstreaming-build

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

Since I've already been asking questions and doing research I will just go ahead and post the request here

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Web browsing and gaming, that's about it[
What's your budget? I am looking at the $1500 range, which is kind of where the PC Part Picker Magnificent AMD Build is at. I will likely not be finishing putting everything together with this system until the end of this year, as I am waiting for GPU availability and I have more money at the end of the year. I plan to buy some stuff from holiday sales (just got the SSDs today)
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? My current monitor is 27'' 1080p and 60 hz. I plan to upgrade to a 4k monitor but that is probably going to be secondary to actually building the system. Ultimately I want to be able to play games in 4K by next year.

Some general ideas/questions for the build-

-Mid tower case with at least some front USB ports.
-For the MOBO (which I have the least knowledge of), possibly something with onboard WiFi capability (but this is not a dealbreaker). It also needs to have two 2280 M2 slots.
-I just bought two of the 1 TB NVME WD drives today so I have storage covered already. I am not really bringing anything over from my old computer as everything is getting pretty old. I have a portable SSD that I bought which I will keep, but that is probably it.
-I don't think I will need to be overclocking anything, so with that in mind, any suggestions about what kind of fans I would need in the case would be helpful as that is another area I don't know too much about. The one they recommend in the build below is out of stock and I don't know if there is a better alternative, or if I should just wait until it comes back into stock.
-Unsure about whether I need to do a 3080 or if the 3070 will be enough. I know we don't know enough about the 3070 yet so that is kind of up in the air for right now.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/LRxFf7/magnificent-amd-gamingstreaming-build

For 4K, 100% get the RTX 3080. Like it's not even a contest IMO.

e: That list has a lot of dumb poo poo, let me take a crack at it.

Maybe something like this? The 5600X might be a better pure gaming CPU for the same price once it's released. Though really a 3600 is probably not giving up much at 4K since the higher the resolution, the less the CPU matters (within reason.)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900k/17.html - a 3600 has 98.2% of the 4K performance of a 10900K lmao

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($58.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card ($700.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1503.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 20:04 EDT-0400

For a bit more you can go with 2x16GB RAM and/or 3600 CL16 speed RAM, go with a NH-U14S CPU cooler, or wait for Zen 3 and just throw more money at your CPU for giggles. Alternately you can leave off the CPU cooler and use the stock AMD cooler if you don't mind it being louder. You can upgrade the SSD to like a SN750 or SX8200 Pro or P31 Gold and shave uh a few % off your load times?

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 14, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
If you haven't built a PC in the last 10 years: case design is sure something else, these days! :monocle:

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I wasn't sure whether to ask here or in the GPU thread...just a quick sanity check because I don't have a good sense of hardware.

Currently I have a i7-4770 CPU (on a ASRock Z97 board) paired with a GTX 980--the system is mostly just for casual gaming, although I'm RDT-ing into work now too. I'm not interested in bleeding-edge performance, but I'd like to be able to turn settings on Cyberpunk 2077 up a bit more than I probably could now.

If I just grabbed an RTX2070 and stick with my current CPU/board, it looks like I'm still going to get a huge performance increase?
(PC Part Picker is happy with it.)

I realize that the CPU will be the weak link at that point and I'll probably bite the bullet and just build a whole new PC in a couple more years, but I was hoping to avoid that for a bit longer.
Am I being a dumbass, or should it be fine for now?

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not trying to cajole you one way or the other but it's absolutely viable, there's people sticking 3090s in sub 10l cases and making them perfectly usable so 3080 builds in something bigger like the nr200 are absolutely fine, air cooled or with AIOs.

I'm actually surprised by this, saw poor outcomes from the Louqe Ghost and the M1. I stopped looking, and hadn't heard of the nr200 at all.

I might look into that more, thanks for the tip.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Rhaka posted:

I'm actually surprised by this, saw poor outcomes from the Louqe Ghost and the M1. I stopped looking, and hadn't heard of the nr200 at all.

I might look into that more, thanks for the tip.

There's a youtube channel called Optimum Tech which is pretty much the gold standard for thorough testing of SFF cases, I highly recommend his videos if you're at all curious about what's possible with smaller builds at the moment. He's also calm and professional and not a shouty dickhead which is a huge bonus.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Oh, that should help--I have like no tolerance for the screeching manchild so I normally avoid tech/gaming vloggers with a burning passion.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any forecast for unjamming NVidia's supply chain for the holiday season? In January I was hoping to upgrade my ~6yo gaming PC for some Quest2 link play but I am hoping to future proof myself with a 3000 series unless we expect the prices for 2000s to plummet.

Use: VR and gaming. System will literally be powered off if I'm not using it to play vidya gem once or twice a week.
Budget: Probably $2000CDN give or take
Expectations/needs: Oculus Quest 2 via Link @90Hz for VR, otherwise probably 1080 or 1440.

A few caveats: I didn't include a video card because of the above. I didn't include a case because I need to source some kind of rack mount case so I can throw it in my rack with the servers and just run relatively short cables to my office. Cooler choice may have to be adjusted to fit.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($303.50 @ shopRBC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.50 @ Vuugo)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($103.60 @ Vuugo)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($111.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($170.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.75 @ Vuugo)
Total: $914.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-14 09:02 EDT-0400

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

sean10mm posted:

For 4K, 100% get the RTX 3080. Like it's not even a contest IMO.

e: That list has a lot of dumb poo poo, let me take a crack at it.

Maybe something like this? The 5600X might be a better pure gaming CPU for the same price once it's released. Though really a 3600 is probably not giving up much at 4K since the higher the resolution, the less the CPU matters (within reason.)

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/intel-core-i9-10900k/17.html - a 3600 has 98.2% of the 4K performance of a 10900K lmao

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($35.19 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($58.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB TUF GAMING Video Card ($700.00)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($123.94 @ Office Depot)
Total: $1503.08
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-10-13 20:04 EDT-0400

For a bit more you can go with 2x16GB RAM and/or 3600 CL16 speed RAM, go with a NH-U14S CPU cooler, or wait for Zen 3 and just throw more money at your CPU for giggles. Alternately you can leave off the CPU cooler and use the stock AMD cooler if you don't mind it being louder. You can upgrade the SSD to like a SN750 or SX8200 Pro or P31 Gold and shave uh a few % off your load times?
Thanks for the info, I appreciate the help and I will take this into account when I start to buy the parts

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how trust worthy is lodge north's SA mart thread because those prices? hello? how?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Asema posted:

how trust worthy is lodge north's SA mart thread because those prices? hello? how?

AFAIK it's legit. They got me a windows 10 key in no time at the quoted price with no shenanigans.

IIRC Microsoft sells keys in bulk and kind of just doesn't give a poo poo if they're re-sold. Hell, they barely care if you just use Windows 10 without a key.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

sean10mm posted:

AFAIK it's legit. They got me a windows 10 key in no time at the quoted price with no shenanigans.

IIRC Microsoft sells keys in bulk and kind of just doesn't give a poo poo if they're re-sold. Hell, they barely care if you just use Windows 10 without a key.

Yeah I got mine from some YouTuber with well over 100,000 subscribers using some 10$ windows key as standard advertiser spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Asema posted:

It’s basically a not your problem situation.

You’ll never “get in trouble”. If the license is revoked who gives a gently caress it’s $10