Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
That paragraph from Rlain basically calling Kaladin a white savior is so incredibly awkward and out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Leng posted:

SO SO SO SO SO COOL.

Yea, that's really all there is to say about this chapter. That was such a good/entertaining fight & conversation.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I think the real reason Rlain can't bond an honorspren spren is he's too calm and well-adjusted.

Literally everyone he knew and loved is dead, and the only people who willingly interact with him are bridge four, who both helped in the killing *and* went full Silence of the Lambs in book one.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

that chapter fuckin owns

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
That was a lot of cosmere stuff to digest.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

insider posted:

That was a lot of cosmere stuff to digest.

It appears so at first glance, but ultimately we learned almost nothing that wasn't already stated or easily inferred from Warbreaker (Fused and Heralds operate on similar principles to Returned and Lifeless). If you haven't read Warbreaker you'll understand very little of what is said though. It's kind of a weird chapter that doesn't really convey a lot of actually new information.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

It appears so at first glance, but ultimately we learned almost nothing that wasn't already stated or easily inferred from Warbreaker (Fused and Heralds operate on similar principles to Returned and Lifeless). If you haven't read Warbreaker you'll understand very little of what is said though. It's kind of a weird chapter that doesn't really convey a lot of actually new information.

I guess that's true but...

I didn't know that Szeth is a cognitive shadow. Or that Vasher has world hopped to somewhere old enough to have fossils. Or that Vasher was confirmed to be a returned? Although that last one was heavily implied I didn't think it was confirmed until now.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

insider posted:

I guess that's true but...

I didn't know that Szeth is a cognitive shadow. Or that Vasher has world hopped to somewhere old enough to have fossils. Or that Vasher was confirmed to be a returned? Although that last one was heavily implied I didn't think it was confirmed until now.

vasher and all his scholar pals being Returned is definitely one of the big reveals towards the end of warbreaker

not sure szeth had ever been confirmed, but given the weird deal with his afterimage the explanation that his cognitive shadow is basically poorly stapled onto his old body makes sense

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

eke out posted:

that chapter fuckin owns

:emptyquote:

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Looks like I’m rereading Warbreaker this month.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Did anyone else notice that Vasher is apparently at the 10th Heightening? There were no vocal Commands used on the scarfs and sheets. Makes me think that he's managed to figure out how to convert Stormlight into Breaths, especially since he needs to consume one per week as a Returned

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 14, 2020

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Proteus Jones posted:

Did anyone else notice that Vasher is apparently at the 10th Heightening? There were no vocal Commands used on the scarfs and sheets.

There were tons of distractions. Its possible he's not.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RC Cola posted:

There were tons of distractions. Its possible he's not.

Considering the things he's done/made in the past he likely is, especially since being able to convert stormlight means a highstorm is basically an endless buffet of power.

Nightblood being left out in a highstorm would be interesting as well, though it'd probably be a similar result as we saw in the last book when it/Szeth suddenly had access to endless Investiture.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
We just got an official WoB on this:

quote:

asmodeus_9
Just as a point of clarification, was Vasher physically articulating his Commands in this chapter, or is he capable of bypassing that need, for whatever reason? (skill, heightening, etc.)

Brandon Sanderson
You can assume he whispered each command as he gave them.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/406/#e14231

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Leng posted:

We just got an official WoB on this:

OK that explains why the scrap he leaves with Kaladin was grey and not blinding white. It was the thing that made me second guess myself, and that second guess was right

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

insider posted:

Or that Vasher has world hopped to somewhere old enough to have fossils.

Sooo... where in the Cosmere are there actually fossils? Not Roshar of course, the whole ecosystem doesn't support fossils, except maybe in Shinovar, and I have the strong impression that Shinovar was specifically created when the human refugees arrived on Roshar. We don't know Scadrial's age, but if Khriss is right that Ruin and Preservation created that planet, then it's surely not old enough to have formed fossils naturally. Is this actually a case of god planting dinosaur bones??? It would be kinda amusing.

Taldain doesn't seem suitable for life of any kind, yet there are humans and animals and plants on that world. The humans are presumably descended from Yolenese survivors (like everybody but the Scadrians), did Autonomy "terraform" the planet to be liveable by those humans? Did Adonalsium make it inhabitable to humans, and it was settled before the Shattering?

What about Nalthis or Sel? Did their (curiously compatible with humanity) ecosystem evolve naturally, or did some higher power intervene?

The only place that very likely had fossils was Yolen imho, the other planets may or may not have had animals and plants to fossilize before Adonalsium or the Shards intervened there.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Subvisual Haze posted:

I didn't know that the returned were not the same person that died, or that the same held true for anyone similar, like Kelsier or Szeth (I didn't even know he died long enough for that), I thought the power just helped the soul to keep clinging on to the cognitive realm and not to move on, but apparently the soul fucks off anyway and the shape it leaves is filled with power before the shape disappears. Basically they're just a copy now.

The name cognitive shadow implied a copy and not the original though, but I got the impression it wasn't a copy from the book where Kelsier went through the process, but of course there is no reason the process should make that obvious.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Torrannor posted:

Taldain doesn't seem suitable for life of any kind, yet there are humans and animals and plants on that world. The humans are presumably descended from Yolenese survivors (like everybody but the Scadrians), did Autonomy "terraform" the planet to be liveable by those humans? Did Adonalsium make it inhabitable to humans, and it was settled before the Shattering?.

Bit OT but Taldain as someone interested in astronomy, is a planet / setup that definitely screams intelligent design. The blue-white super giant star that Taldain orbits, it's not at all a stable setup, there is no chance whatsoever that natural life could have time to evolve on such a world before the star went through it's life cycle (about 10 million years). It would go so fast through it's life cycle and it's luminosity would increase as it went older that the planet would probably only be in the goldilocks zone for a very short time, no idea how long but not long enough for even simple life to evolve. That planet will definitely need divine intervention to keep on being habitable.

BTW this will happen to the earth too as the sun ages, we got 500-700 million years at the most and the sun was 30% dimmer when life arose on earth.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

His Divine Shadow posted:

I didn't know that the returned were not the same person that died, or that the same held true for anyone similar, like Kelsier or Szeth (I didn't even know he died long enough for that), I thought the power just helped the soul to keep clinging on to the cognitive realm and not to move on, but apparently the soul fucks off anyway and the shape it leaves is filled with power before the shape disappears. Basically they're just a copy now.

The name cognitive shadow implied a copy and not the original though, but I got the impression it wasn't a copy from the book where Kelsier went through the process, but of course there is no reason the process should make that obvious.

I think at least in Kelsier's case we can be confident that this is really Kelsier, not a copy of his soul. Whether Nale attached Szeth's actual soul to his body, or just a copy, remains to be see, imho.

edit:

Bit OT but Taldain as someone interested in astronomy, is a planet / setup that definitely screams intelligent design. The blue-white super giant star that Taldain orbits, it's not at all a stable setup, there is no chance whatsoever that natural life could have time to evolve on such a world before the star went through it's life cycle (about 10 million years). It would go so fast through it's life cycle and it's luminosity would increase as it went older that the planet would probably only be in the goldilocks zone for a very short time, no idea how long but not long enough for even simple life to evolve. That planet will definitely need divine intervention to keep on being habitable.

BTW this will happen to the earth too as the sun ages, we got 500-700 million years at the most and the sun was 30% dimmer when life arose on earth.

Yes, Taldain in particular made me believe that there was no way life could have evolved there naturally, and that Autonomy (or Adonalsium if Taldain's settlement predates the Shattering) must have tampered with it to make it habitable. And we know Adonalsium did something to Roshar, and we can guess that Honor and Cultivation created Shinovar for the humans. And Scadrial was created from nothing by Ruin and Preservation. It seem that more worlds than not have supernatural origins, which makes me believe Nalthis, Sel, and the other minor cosmere worlds bearing life might have been similarly designed by the Shards.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 14, 2020

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dawnshard update from Facebook - "I started the third draft at 43K words... and it's now 57K words... on a story I planned to be 30k... Kickstarter participants should get an electronic copy before the end of the month, live on ebook sites for everyone else soon after. There will likely be an audio edition, but not until next year at the soonest"

:toot: I'm looking forward to that almost as much as RoW itself

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
What a very Cosmere infused chapter Vasher just told Kaladin that Nightblood can kill fused and heralds permanently right? And did Vasher ask Cultivation to allow him the power to convert stormlight into breaths?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Torrannor posted:

Sooo... where in the Cosmere are there actually fossils? Not Roshar of course, the whole ecosystem doesn't support fossils, except maybe in Shinovar, and I have the strong impression that Shinovar was specifically created when the human refugees arrived on Roshar. We don't know Scadrial's age, but if Khriss is right that Ruin and Preservation created that planet, then it's surely not old enough to have formed fossils naturally. Is this actually a case of god planting dinosaur bones??? It would be kinda amusing.

Taldain doesn't seem suitable for life of any kind, yet there are humans and animals and plants on that world. The humans are presumably descended from Yolenese survivors (like everybody but the Scadrians), did Autonomy "terraform" the planet to be liveable by those humans? Did Adonalsium make it inhabitable to humans, and it was settled before the Shattering?

What about Nalthis or Sel? Did their (curiously compatible with humanity) ecosystem evolve naturally, or did some higher power intervene?

The only place that very likely had fossils was Yolen imho, the other planets may or may not have had animals and plants to fossilize before Adonalsium or the Shards intervened there.

I saw it as a straightforward reference to Yolen. Roshar is pretty old by Cosmere standards - but it is explicitly ruled out by Vasher as not being even close to old enough for his fossil, which predates the Yolenese who were present at the shattering. I assume that rules out all the other non-Yolen worlds that had pre-shattering life as well, though, to be clear, this may be a bad assumption. I haven't read any of the unpublished works set on Yolen, so I only have what's on Coppermind to go off of, but it's the one place we know for sure has had life on it for a long time - it's where Adonalsium is from and would presumably have evolved life without its divine interference.

Wild speculation: It's also worth noting that different parts of Yolen seem to have been used as models by Adonalsium and the various shards in their creation of worlds. How much of this is Brandon using and elaborating on ideas from his early work to be part of the larger Cosmere vs. original intent, I don't know. The shell fossil could be a tie-in between Roshar and whatever part of Yolen was similar. BS has said that parshendi were specifically created for Roshar, but it's still an open question if they were modeled on something from Yolen like the Sho Del or if they're completely novel. The shattered plains from one version of Dragonsteel Prime were written as a place on Yolen where humans and fainlife Sho-Del duked it out for Dragonsteel, so it would fit.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

That's just Vasher's cynical interpretation though. I would say they are the same person, just they lose a little bit of themself when they come back. Lightsong was a pretty good example of that. He remembered talking to Endowment and choosing to come back, and despite the memory block he retained aspects of his personality and eventually clear memories of his earlier life. It just gets into classic scifi questions about what makes someone human and whether an android that perfectly copied your personality and memories wouldn't functionally be you.

Also your soul is never lost in this process, or else you couldn't come back. Your life flows [Soul/Spiritual Realm] -> [Mind/Cognitive Realm] -> [Body/Physical Realm]. Your connection to your body can be lost, leaving you floating as a ghost, but your mind can then be potentially reattached to a body in various ways. Secret History covers this in a lot of detail and I'd trust the explanations of Preservation's shadow to be more accurate than Vasher's interpretations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Goddamn why isn't this book out yet???

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Subvisual Haze posted:

That's just Vasher's cynical interpretation though. I would say they are the same person, just they lose a little bit of themself when they come back. Lightsong was a pretty good example of that. He remembered talking to Endowment and choosing to come back, and despite the memory block he retained aspects of his personality and eventually clear memories of his earlier life. It just gets into classic scifi questions about what makes someone human and whether an android that perfectly copied your personality and memories wouldn't functionally be you.

Also your soul is never lost in this process, or else you couldn't come back. Your life flows [Soul/Spiritual Realm] -> [Mind/Cognitive Realm] -> [Body/Physical Realm]. Your connection to your body can be lost, leaving you floating as a ghost, but your mind can then be potentially reattached to a body in various ways. Secret History covers this in a lot of detail and I'd trust the explanations of Preservation's shadow to be more accurate than Vasher's interpretations.

Vasher may be on the right track with his metaphysics of souls and identity - it's nearly a straight regurgitation of this WOB from 2015:

quote:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/98-worldbuilders-ama/#e857

danimalod
I just read Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell and loved it. How did the first shade come to be? Are there shades in other worlds? Do shades have bones?

Brandon Sanderson
Shades are what we call "Cognitive Shadows" in the cosmere. They're basically "spren" or "[seons]" created from human souls. (Where Investiture--or magical power--keeps a consciousness alive after it has lost its Physical connection.) Yes, shades all once had bodies.
Think of them like petrified souls, where instead of stone replacing the tissue of a corpse, magical power replaced the parts of a soul that connect that soul to the Three Realms.

This is confusing to me, because I was in the same boat as His Divine Shadow thinking that souls were something like traditional immutable Platonic ideals that exist in the spiritual realm and either essentially are or provide the means for both the Connection between instantiations in the other realms as well as some kind of telic impetus or Intent. Vasher and BS's use of the term in this fossil metaphor is not consistent with that - they're talking about something that has parts that can be lost and replaced with external investiture, Ship of Theseus style, and Vasher clearly sides with the notion that the entity post-replacement is very similar to but not identical with the pre-replacement one. This might be related to connection manipulation, which has been heavily hinted at/featured in the later Mistborn novels as something that will be very important in future Cosmere stuff. I had previously assumed that manipulating connection was going to manifest as shifting relations between spiritual realm stuff/souls and cognitive/physical realm geography/objects, but maybe it's going to be actual soul editing if souls are mutable after all.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 14, 2020

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

aparmenideanmonad posted:

if souls are mutable after all.

Surely they are since Mistborn hermalurgy rips of pieces of the soul and staples it to another person's soul, not to mention the way the koloss use it?

Sab669 posted:

Dawnshard update from Facebook - "I started the third draft at 43K words... and it's now 57K words... on a story I planned to be 30k... Kickstarter participants should get an electronic copy before the end of the month, live on ebook sites for everyone else soon after. There will likely be an audio edition, but not until next year at the soonest"

:toot: I'm looking forward to that almost as much as RoW itself

I am almost as hyped for this as I am for Rhythm of War.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
A 200 page "novella"

Classic Sanderson

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol @ navani handing a perfect gem that almost definitely contains an Unmade or something equally as bad to some rando scientists to go try to open up in the heart of their home fortress

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
That and dropping the King's Drop with the Thrill into the ocean! That doesn't seem like a good idea

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

“What if Dalinar dies?”

“I… will seek another Ideal, I suppose. I had not considered it.”

“How could you not think of that?”

lmao

quote:

I don’t know what that is, Brightness, he’d said. But it feels painful. Voidlight is dangerously inviting, like if I touched it, my body would drink it in eagerly. That thing… is different. It has a song I’ve never heard, and it vibrates wrong against my soul.

:staredog:

@eke out I'm hoping we get lucky and it helps wake up Urithiru. But I strongly don't think that's gonna happen lol

@Leng worst case scenario the fish become real murderous :colbert:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Sab669 posted:

or some random Nalthian on a caravan is like "what's that glowing thing over there?" lol

although i guess on second thought, if it's locked in a gem it wouldn't show up in Shadesmar, right? it might actually be a reasonably good solution at least in the near-term, depending on how much Odium can track his Connection with the Unmade

eke out fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 20, 2020

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

They started uploading the audiobook version of the preview chapters on Brandon Sanderson's YouTube account.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?BrandSanderson?videos

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sab669 posted:

"Yeah, what's the big problem?"

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

eke out posted:

or some random Nalthian on a caravan is like "what's that glowing thing over there?" lol

although i guess on second thought, if it's locked in a gem it wouldn't show up in Shadesmar, right? it might actually be a reasonably good solution at least in the near-term, depending on how much Odium can track his Connection with the Unmade

Nalthians? Nah, my bet is the Ghostbloods. They wanted Shallan to either convert or capture Sja-anat; I reckon they wouldn't have any qualms about fishing a captive Unmade out of the ocean.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

someone on 17th shard posted this bit from the previous chapter where Navani is remembering Gavilar being a huge rear end in a top hat to her

"He didn’t respond with shouts or rage, but the cold void in his eyes could have consumed continents and left only blackness. He raised his hand to her chin and gently cupped it, a mockery of a once-passionate gesture.

It was more painful than a slap.["

and also: "Shallan's father only started having this "new, cold anger" as of "one and a half years ago" before the events in Words of Radiance (per Ch. 61): "This new anger of his, the cold anger, terrified Shallan.""

so yeah, if that's not foreshadowing "there's an unmade in that one suspicious black-glowing gem influencing Gavilar, just like we know one did to Shallan's father" i don't know what is

eke out fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Oct 22, 2020

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

could it even be the same effect? Szeth said he hid it somewhere in Jah Keved, which is where Shallan is from...

insider
Feb 22, 2007

eke out posted:

someone on 17th shard posted this bit from the previous chapter where Navani is remembering Gavilar being a huge rear end in a top hat to her

"He didn’t respond with shouts or rage, but the cold void in his eyes could have consumed continents and left only blackness. He raised his hand to her chin and gently cupped it, a mockery of a once-passionate gesture.

It was more painful than a slap.["

and also: "Shallan's father only started having this "new, cold anger" as of "one and a half years ago" before the events in Words of Radiance (per Ch. 61): "This new anger of his, the cold anger, terrified Shallan.""

so yeah, if that's not foreshadowing "there's an unmade in that one suspicious black-glowing gem influencing Gavilar, just like we know one did to Shallan's father" i don't know what is

That is a really good find and knowing how Brandon writes is practically confirmed. The question is which one is it then? Ba-Ado-Mishram seems the most likely.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

insider posted:

That is a really good find and knowing how Brandon writes is practically confirmed. The question is which one is it then? Ba-Ado-Mishram seems the most likely.

yeah, considering she was imprisoned, that seems like a good choice

I really thought Dai-Gonarthis, because he's "the black fisher" and the death rattles about him are like "The black fisher has my sorrow" which echoes some of the changes we saw in lin davar and gavilar -- who were always assholes, but became a very different and specific kind of rear end in a top hat in (probably) the influence of an unmade and/or odium that took their self-doubt and pain and let them be the very best assholes they could be. and, you know, extra-black gem, The Black Fisher, the connection is pretty obvious there

but, on second thought, Moash is doing the same poo poo and appears to be affected by some Unmade (or Odium himself) when Renarin bursts in on Moash/Kaladin, so that one could already be out there doing his thing anyways.

eke out fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 23, 2020

insider
Feb 22, 2007

Do we know how captured unmade effect things in Shadesmar? I was just thinking how if they threw the thrill into the ocean then really the thrill is in the middle of land in Shadesmar and how that will effect things. Or since they are captured do they show up at all? Same goes for this likely captured other unmade

Also when does Dawnshard come out? I thought it was supposed to be out this month but haven't heard anything about it?

insider fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think as of last week they still said before the end of the month digitally for Kickstarter backers, digitally for everyone next month, audio later.

I can't find the email to see when that was sent, though. I'm sure they're still rushing to read & edit and we'll all just get a "Surprise, here it is" email next Friday.

Edit https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/dragonsteel/the-way-of-kings-10th-anniversary-leatherbound-edition/posts/2986075

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 23, 2020