Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

blue squares posted:

I’m just going to return it. It makes me feel sick and now my inner ear has been hurting for an hour. gently caress. I was excited for VR but it’s not for me

Squadrons is probably not a great candidate for first time VR considering all the performance issues they're having, it's likely that the messed up framerate made you feel extra bad. Were you feeling sick doing Beat Saber and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I've got a pretty strong stomach and Serious Sam VR and a chat room where everything was rainbow spinning concentric shapes made me sick. Everything else has been rad, though. Make sure you try some other stuff, seated preferably, before you give up.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

blue squares posted:

I’m just going to return it. It makes me feel sick and now my inner ear has been hurting for an hour. gently caress. I was excited for VR but it’s not for me

Yeah honestly thats one of the worst things you could try as a first vr experience. twisting around at fast speeds in a 6dof spaceship rolling and drifting.... not a great start.

If you want to be excited for VR and see what it can do and not get sick, try something like superhot VR.

Also if you start feeling sick, stop playing. You'll only make it worse and reinforce the response of getting sick if you just try to power through.

Tomathan
Nov 6, 2006
They won't let us wear our baggy pants

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah honestly thats one of the worst things you could try as a first vr experience. twisting around at fast speeds in a 6dof spaceship rolling and drifting.... not a great start.

Not to mention squadrons has that bug where everything outside the spaceship is like 30fps or something. You really need to try some room scale vr. The great thing about getting into vr years ago is experiences were more forgiving for beginners. The lab is still a great introduction to vr and free.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. Unless you are just wholly unimpressed by the new found sense of scale, 3D, immersion, motion controls etc (which tbh some just aren't for some reason. Idgi because I think it's the greatest but to each his own) ditching VR as a platform because of a short, bad experience with squadrons seems very premature. VR legs is a thing. I was extremely prone to motion sickness when I started 3 years ago, but spent a while in more stationary games for a bit and eventually worked my way up to being able to play just about anything in VR. The only thing that can make me sick at this point is bad design and even that is super rare and usually related to flat screen games being converted to VR. Aside from the performance issues, Squadrons is great in VR but it's just about the last thing I'd recommend to a newcomer. I'd have puked trying to play it a few years ago.

There's plenty of cool games you can try in the meantime though. I recommend playing stationary stuff like Super Hot, Moss, Thumper, or even something like Half Life: Alyx which lets you teleport of free move on the fly. Then from there you can start playing around with games with free movement, and finally racing and flight games, which often require an iron stomach (which you WILL eventually develop. Just baby step it and stop playing for the second you start to feel queasy)

VR is insanely cool and totally transforms gaming, but it can be a hard thing to just jump into for the first time.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Nocheez posted:

I've got a pretty strong stomach and Serious Sam VR and a chat room where everything was rainbow spinning concentric shapes made me sick. Everything else has been rad, though. Make sure you try some other stuff, seated preferably, before you give up.

All good advice from the everyone. What about Half Life Alyx? That’s the one VR game I am most curious about

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

blue squares posted:

All good advice from the everyone. What about Half Life Alyx? That’s the one VR game I am most curious about

Do it. It's extremely good and has great on the fly comfort options. You can just walk around with the stick, but if that makes you uncomfortable the right stick is a very well done teleport that you can use at any time. It's also probably the best looking VR game ever made and has a fun story with AAA production. It'll give you an all around good perspective of the strengths, and sometimes weaknesses of VR.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

blue squares posted:

Alyx is a good starter, because one of the control schemes is a hybrid teleport/free movement. Start mostly with teleporting for long movement and free for just looking through shelves and stuff. Then change the ratio the more comfortable you get. That's how I got my brother use to it. If you feel just the slightest feeling in your stomach, stop free moving.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Ok, thanks everyone! I was frustrated so I got a bit reactionary. I truly appreciate the perspectives shared and I will try Half Life

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Alyx is great. The Superhot recommendations are also really good. Pokerstars is another free experience that won't make you sick and is a unique experience that cannot be replicated on a screen.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
The Quest 2 screen resolution is a huge improvement, wow. It’s also incredibly uncomfortable. The stock strap is trash, as expected.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blue squares posted:

Do not base your feelings of VR on squadrons, please believe me when I told you squadrons vr is hosed.

Try Job Sim or Beat Saber instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

blue squares posted:

Alyx is much better implemented and also not a spaceship game, so yeah do it.

Depending upon your machine you may have to turn down settings (Alyx is one of the best looking VR games to date) but even on low it looks good.

Its important you get a high frame rate or you'll feel bad.

Squadrons does bad frame rate things even if your computer is good and the settings are low, its not your fault you were uncomfortable.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

if you absolutely want to do some space sim VR I'd say give Elite (a bad good game) or House of the Dying Sun (a good arade/not sim) a shot.

Actually just saw you're using a controller to play. If that's the case you should definitely try out House of the Dying Sun.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

VR won't wow you by making you think "wow, im in a real place!!!", it's just a different way of interacting with videogames, with depth perception and 1-to-1 tracking. Unfortunate if you ran into issues with Squadrons, I've had an absolutely perfect time with it, barring some crashes.

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
So this is cool, got the Quest 2 this afternoon but it gets stuck in an update loop while setting it up. It says Downloading Update 1 of 2, then restarts. Then Downloading Update 1 of 2 again. We've been at it for a few hours. I figured out how to do a factory reset and we got to the same spot and it started looping again.

Anyway, if anyone sees anyone else having this problem or a possible solution, let me know.

e: after a second reset it seems to be working

Reek fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 14, 2020

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

blue squares posted:

Ok, thanks everyone! I was frustrated so I got a bit reactionary. I truly appreciate the perspectives shared and I will try Half Life

It's definitely one of the best starting points. It has immense scale AND incredible detail, messing around with stuff never really stops being fun, and Valve did a lot to try and mitigate motion sickness for new players.

So far you've played the boxes-flying-at-you game, and the spinning-in-every-direction-with-no-sense-of-"down" game, so it's not a huge surprise that the first didn't really impress you and the second made you feel sick. It takes a while to get used to how VR works, and its level of immersion and comfort is going to vary with the content.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

VR won't wow you by making you think "wow, im in a real place!!!"

I'd say VR can absolutely do that, the thing is that it winds up being a pretty mundane feeling because "I'm really here" isn't actually a strong emotion until something snaps you out of it and you realize just how immersed you had been.

See also: people who say "this doesn't feel THAT realistic" right before trying to lean on a table that isn't there.

sethsez fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 14, 2020

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Reek posted:

So this is cool, got the Quest 2 this afternoon but it gets stuck in an update loop while setting it up. It says Downloading Update 1 of 2, then restarts. Then Downloading Update 1 of 2 again. We've been at it for a few hours. I figured out how to do a factory reset and we got to the same spot and it started looping again.

Anyway, if anyone sees anyone else having this problem or a possible solution, let me know.

Oh that sucks. Have you reached out to Oculus yet? I think if the factory reset didn't fix it you'll need their help.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I am one of those people who tried leaning on the counter in the Quest tutorial and nearly ate poo poo.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Sorry for being so needy, thread. Hopefully my posts helped others!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Got my Quest 2s today. Only once I started setting it up did it occur tome I should seperate into his and hers as to which controllers are paired to which. Anyone making vinyl skins for the 2 yet?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

blue squares posted:

No worries dude you're fine

VR won't wow you by making you think "wow, im in a real place!!!",

Disagree?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

blue squares posted:

No worries. VR gaming isn't quite the same as PC/Console/ w/e. Its in its infancy and there are a lot of gotchas and things to know and learn. Honestly, if this is something that interests you, it'll take some time to adjust and find what works for you.

Also, VR isn't for everybody. I think most people can get pretty comfortable, but some people won't and its ok. But Generally you're getting good advice here on how to get immersed.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

I'm extremely motion-sick prone, there's a lot of games I can't go 10 minutes in, I have a bag of ground ginger pills on the ready at my desk, but I'll vouch that Alyx is by fat one of the most comfortable VR games if you play in the default teleportation mode as I did the whole way through. The game never "moves you" under any circumstance if you disable ladder/barnacle motion. You only move yourself with teleports that black out the screen for a moment so you'll feel rock solid in that.

Make absolutely sure you dial in your IPD/focus on whatever you're using too, that makes a big difference for me in addition to pre-gaming ginger pills, which supress stomach acid so you won't turn sour as easily.

VR won't wow you by making you think "wow, im in a real place!!!", it's just a different way of interacting with videogames, with depth perception and 1-to-1 tracking. Unfortunate if you ran into issues with Squadrons, I've had an absolutely perfect time with it, barring some crashes.

Yeah I dunno about that. Half Life Alyx with a Pimax headset looked literally photorealistic to me in multiple scenarios, I'd go to sleep after playing and wake up having "remembered" being there like it was a real memory. I even memorize the layouts of maps faster than typical FPS games because I'm inside them.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 14, 2020

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.

Lockback posted:

Oh that sucks. Have you reached out to Oculus yet? I think if the factory reset didn't fix it you'll need their help.

I put in a ticket but figured it would be a while before I heard from them on release day. It did finally just start working after hours of looping so, hooray! Now to get some games.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Is there a way to launch Squadron from virtual desktop on the quest 2? I can see all of my steam VR games but don't see Squadron, I launch it through origin.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Broke in the Quest 2 on Squadrons and I can absolutely taste the pixel density vs my OG quest in a game where you're often bearing down on distant spaceboats. Big, big improvement. As advertised, the screen door is pretty much a relic of the past. Also definitely noticing the lighter weight in a game where you're often whipping your head around to track Imperial Scum.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah I dunno about that. Half Life Alyx with a Pimax headset looked literally photorealistic to me in multiple scenarios, I'd go to sleep after playing and wake up having "remembered" being there like it was a real memory. I even memorize the layouts of maps faster than typical FPS games because I'm inside them.

Once again reminded of when folks saw 3D games for the first time and were blown away.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
So there are some ADB commands you can send to the quest 2 that force it into 90hz mode for everything, not just oculus home (the setting in experimental settings just does oculus home) and it works pretty well. I got Virtual Desktop working but even with a 9900k and a 2080 it’s not enough juice to feed it at 90hz. It gets pretty choppy and laggy. At 72hz it’s fine though.

At 90hz I do notice the stuff John Carmack was talking about with the guardian. Everything in the environment moves smoothly but the guardian grid seems a bit choppy.

Unfortunately oculus link just crashes if I try to start it with 90hz mode enabled.

Another thing I noticed, if you turn off the guardian in oculus link it stays turned off when you go back into quest mode and I haven’t found a way to turn it back on aside from either resetting it in quest mode or re-enabling it by going back into oculus link mode and turning it back on from there.

Just spent a couple hours in DCS world in oculus link mode. Performance is less than ideal in that game, holy crap. (Never tried it on the rift s)

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 14, 2020

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Leal posted:

I am one of those people who tried leaning on the counter in the Quest tutorial and nearly ate poo poo.

3 + Years of having VR.

Still do.

I've ate poo poo so many times trying to lean on fake walls in shooters, heh.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Zero VGS posted:

... Half Life Alyx with a Pimax headset looked literally photorealistic to me in multiple scenarios, I'd go to sleep after playing and wake up having "remembered" being there like it was a real memory. I even memorize the layouts of maps faster than typical FPS games because I'm inside them.

I've had several dreams wherein I realize I am in VR. I remove the headset, keep doing stuff and then realize I am still in VR and have to remove the headset again. I've had to tell myself to wake up and then I jolt awake. They aren't scary dreams, but drat does it screw with my head :classiclol:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If you want a good game to wean you into VR flight try Ultrawings. You can toggle your comfort setting to give you intense tunnel vision at first and expand it gradually as you feel more comfortable.

I remember when I first tried it I set the comfort to max-view and nearly lost my lunch after my first bank of the airplane. That was quite a reality check. I was probably flying in max view comfortably after a hours though so it’s definitely doable.

Hope my Q2 arrives tomorrow :ohdear:

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
I'm getting awful performance on my new Quest 2 with Virtual Desktop + Alyx. Way worse than when I last tried on my Quest.

Anyone else notice a drop in quality on their setup? What options are you using for FPS, bitrate, etc.?

If not, I'll start troubleshooting my end.

edit: the only other thing that's really changed for me is that I got a G-Sync monitor. Do I need to turn that off for PC VR?

empathe fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Oct 14, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EbolaIvory posted:

3 + Years of having VR.

Still do.

I've ate poo poo so many times trying to lean on fake walls in shooters, heh.

Approximately 5 times a day for a year I ran a VR test bed that featured a table you leaned over to pick something up, and by the end of that year I would sometimes go 3 in a row without trying to lean on it. This was with CV1 and it’s prototype predecessors, so lower-fi stuff than we have today in a bunch of ways (oh god controls).

Our brains really want to believe in VR.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I absolutely can not under any circumstances walk through the coffee table in the Steam VR home lobby thing.

Also I immediately tried to grab the railing at the start of Alyx without thinking, and was careful when leaning out over it to look down off the balcony.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Late game VR revelation. I don't play any seated VR games, but while I was waiting for my vive pro wireless adapter I decided to just sit down in my office chair and play some No Man's Sky, considering it doesn't have real room-scale support.

drat, it is WAY easier to get lost in this game sitting down, for pretty much two reasons:

1. Flying becomes easier, and more fun, when you can rest you hands on your legs.

2. The pace of the game necessitates dealing with multiple inventory systems and slow dialogue prompts, spending time simply sitting in your starship as you hop between planets in a solar system, and doing other things that don't actually involve physically moving at all.

Sitting during these moments rule.

You never accidentally turn away from the HUD either which is nice. I would say if you have given NMS a try before and didn't jump on it's jam try it again just, sitting for the entire thing.

Also, Settings: Sound: SFX 10% / Music 100%

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Holy poo poo I tried half life alyx

THANK YOU, VR THREAD

And with my PC, I was able to run it on ultra. It looks incredibly real

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
see, arn't you glad you were a bother?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

blue squares posted:

THANK YOU, VR THREAD

Glad to hear it!

Another newbie tip. Try playing with a fan turned on you. It can help in a multitude of ways. Early on it helped me with motion sickness, it’ll keep you cool so you stay comfortable and fog free, and to me it least it helps sell the feeling of being outdoors in VR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

sethsez posted:

I'd say VR can absolutely do that, the thing is that it winds up being a pretty mundane feeling because "I'm really here" isn't actually a strong emotion until something snaps you out of it and you realize just how immersed you had been.

See also: people who say "this doesn't feel THAT realistic" right before trying to lean on a table that isn't there.

Sometimes the more mundane the experience the easier it is to feel like your there. Driving a truck in ATS at night, with the radio on, rain falling down, headlights on, i've legit started reaching for the AC vents to adjust them before catching myself, lol.

blue squares posted:

THANK YOU, VR THREAD

Excellent! If you want to push your boundaries with smooth movement, while still being comfortable, you should check out Lone Echo later. Its one of the few besides Alyx with real AAA polish, and it uses a really unique movement style where you're in zero gravity and push and pull yourself around floating in space. Sounds like it would make you sick, but it amazingly is very comfortable, more so than pretty much any other smooth locomotion method because you're in control of it physically in a way you aren't moving a stick.

Its a good place to start branching out from just teleporting around, or stationary experiences, while giving you a gorgeous single player story.

EDIT: Again, just remember, if you're feeling sick take things with baby steps. Trying to muscle past will just make it worse. Dip your toes in slowly with more and more demanding experiences until it doesn't bother you.