Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I really liked the dingy bar parts of Gambit. A peek behind the veneer of the federation to the parts that slip between the cracks of paradise.

Gambit isn't a bad episode, and it's a fun little twist on the characters and episode progression that is refreshing after like 6 seasons of the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Apparently Gene Roddenberry was against the idea of portraying space pirates

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Ol' Gene had some weird ideas. That said, some of them are what made Star Trek the show it was, at that time.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I don't like pirates either. Anything with pirates and I root for the Royal Navy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And yet there was that episode with the Mad Max rejects from Season 3.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

gene was also against the idea that anyone capable of spaceflight would use a sword

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Except Sulu, of course

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
gene however was very for giant ferengi cocks

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

space pirates with swords = bad.
space goblins with giant dicks = hell yeah

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the goblins are also pirates, and they have laser whips

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

they got huge loving dongs and they are privateers, not pirates. they have a letter of marque.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

those ferengi what did barclay rp through the starhole were kind of pirates

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sulu did fencing as a hobby, and that was as far as it went until he caught Space Madness. it's not like he was bringing his fencing foil along on away missions. there have however been quite a few times when circumstances just so happened to require using crude melee weaponry. alien arenas, q, holodeck poo poo, klingon rituals, etc. but eh, that poo poo's cheap and even the most jank rear end phaser sfx was surprisingly expensive.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

It was a joke.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

have you forgotten that sulu brandishes an extendable katana on an away misson and battles a romulan on top of a hovering laser drill in Star Trek Movie?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arcsquad12 posted:

And yet there was that episode with the Mad Max rejects from Season 3.

Also the Ferengi that captured the Enterprise in Rascals.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also the Ferengi that captured the Enterprise in Rascals.

Thet were privateers!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

of course i'm a privateer

privately
raising
income
very
aggressive
theft
empire
engaged
in piracy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

numberoneposter posted:

have you forgotten that sulu brandishes an extendable katana on an away misson and battles a romulan on top of a hovering laser drill in Star Trek Movie?

To be fair, that seemed like a deliberate homage more than anything; "Oh yeah, here comes the dinky foil and - oh poo poo Sulu kicks rear end :stare:". Especially considering it comes right after "Okay, the away team is Sulu, Kirk, and Redshirt"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Ghostlight posted:

of course i'm a privateer

privately
raising
income
very
aggressive
theft
empire
engaged
in piracy

I too am a privateep

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair, that seemed like a deliberate homage more than anything; "Oh yeah, here comes the dinky foil and - oh poo poo Sulu kicks rear end :stare:". Especially considering it comes right after "Okay, the away team is Sulu, Kirk, and Redshirt"
im not a huge fan of the JJ treks but id rather watch them than the TNG ones (except first contact), which i will watch soon, as im going through season 7, the JJ movies are kinda fun, even if you have to turn your brain off the actors certainly do the roles justice thats for sure. it borders on parody, but it feels like a real movie at least.

like when the engineering section of the enterprise was filmed at a working brewery lmao

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I too am a privateep
you obviously don't know how to spell because piracy starts with an arr.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Mulaney Power Move posted:

gene was also against the idea that anyone capable of spaceflight would use a sword

How else are you supposed to pierce personal shields?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Applewhite posted:

How else are you supposed to pierce personal shields?

Mood's a thing for cattle and loveplay, not fighting! Now, guard yourself for true!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

numberoneposter posted:

im not a huge fan of the JJ treks but id rather watch them than the TNG ones (except first contact), which i will watch soon, as im going through season 7, the JJ movies are kinda fun, even if you have to turn your brain off the actors certainly do the roles justice thats for sure. it borders on parody, but it feels like a real movie at least.

like when the engineering section of the enterprise was filmed at a working brewery lmao

I legit like the first JJ film, but Into Darkness is such a loving trainwreck. I still need to watch the third one though. I've heard good things, I've just never gotten around to it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I legit like the first JJ film, but Into Darkness is such a loving trainwreck. I still need to watch the third one though. I've heard good things, I've just never gotten around to it.

Beyond hits the feel of Star Trek much better than the first two, but clearly suffers from having been rushed for the 50th anniversary and needing a few more rewrites. It's still the best of the three in my opinion.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Star Trek: Fist Contact

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MikeJF posted:

Beyond hits the feel of Star Trek much better than the first two, but clearly suffers from having been rushed for the 50th anniversary and needing a few more rewrites. It's still the best of the three in my opinion.

For the most part, Beyond is good fun, a nice turn-your-brain-off adventure but with some distinctly Star-Trek-flavored notes in it. It's much like '09, so if you liked that, you'll like this. (And it evokes more emotion than I would have thought possible from a cast photo of Star Trek 5.)

Into Darkness... well, if you dig hard enough, you can find a few of those fun notes, I guess. :geno:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I gotta watch Beyond again. I remember hating it the second most after the first one. Maybe it’s not that bad.

I like the second one because it has the best “spaceships go vroom” action, IMO even if the plot becomes more nonsensical every time I watch it.

I loathe the first one but that’s probably in large part due to the fact that I hate time travel stories in general and it’s just so, SO unnecessary for the reboot.

Alan West didn’t get sucked through a time hole to hand things off to Michael Keaton in Batman, yet the audience didn’t have any trouble accepting the reboot.

It’s loving stupid and it’s a whole thing with me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Applewhite posted:

I gotta watch Beyond again. I remember hating it the second most after the first one. Maybe it’s not that bad.

I like the second one because it has the best “spaceships go vroom” action, IMO even if the plot becomes more nonsensical every time I watch it.

I loathe the first one but that’s probably in large part due to the fact that I hate time travel stories in general and it’s just so, SO unnecessary for the reboot.

Alan West didn’t get sucked through a time hole to hand things off to Michael Keaton in Batman, yet the audience didn’t have any trouble accepting the reboot.

It’s loving stupid and it’s a whole thing with me.

Breaking off into their own timeline lets them do whatever the gently caress they please without fretting over continuity. It was absolutely the right move for what are fundamentally a throwaway set of movies (in the view of the general ongoing TV canon)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
watchin d s 9 and sisko's dad is a C.H.U.D. he is a libertarian he wont do the blood test for shapeshifters

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

I can put up with Discovery. Picard is too much. The Orville, uhhhh I can't say I'm a big fan either but it's a nice take and I'm glad it exists. Sounds like Lower Decks is worth a look as a distraction.

They need a star trek show that's about a couple of hard boiled Baltimore homicide detective. Except it's Data and Geordi in the holodeck. Fuuuuuck.

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Oct 14, 2020

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

hakimashou posted:

watchin d s 9 and sisko's dad is a C.H.U.D. he is a libertarian he wont do the blood test for shapeshifters

yeah thats definitely the message of the episode about a coup by the military: you should listen to what the men with guns say

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I really don't get I absolutely do get why they keep setting new shows before or inbetween the established timeline (such as it is), it's to prey on nerd nostalgia and canonism, but it's poo poo and they should just go ahead and make a Star Trek set yet another 100-200 years in the future from TNG and Voyager and see what they can do with that. At the very least it would be poo poo on its own merits or rather lack thereof.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I really don't get I absolutely do get why they keep setting new shows before or inbetween the established timeline (such as it is), it's to prey on nerd nostalgia and canonism,

Eh, really what happened is that Bryan Fuller had a specific story and theme in the era he wanted to explore; then he got kicked and replaced with Kurtzman, who didn't really care about the era but it was too late to change, which is why Discovery doesn't seem to really care about being a prequel despite going out of its way to be set there.

And then Strange New Worlds came out of the popularity of Pike and the good reception to the Enterprise on Discovery, and the Section 31 show spun off the existing stuff in Disco season 2 so it was bound to that era too.

But yeah they clearly did get sick of being constrained by the era, which is why Disco timejumped to the 3100s for season 3 and soft rebooted so they can do what they like.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm actually slightly hopeful for that but don't know if I can be bothered getting back into it.

On the other hand: wouldn't be the first Star Trek that only gets worthwhile with season 3.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

violent sex idiot posted:

yeah thats definitely the message of the episode about a coup by the military: you should listen to what the men with guns say

Grandpa Sisko: listen to what the men with guns say, Benjamin

:thunk:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

My Lovely Horse posted:

I really don't get I absolutely do get why they keep setting new shows before or inbetween the established timeline (such as it is), it's to prey on nerd nostalgia and canonism, but it's poo poo and they should just go ahead and make a Star Trek set yet another 100-200 years in the future from TNG and Voyager and see what they can do with that. At the very least it would be poo poo on its own merits or rather lack thereof.

Haha Discovery season 3.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I like how they were all " Who the heck is THIS Blowjob" after Cabbagepatch screamed " I AM KHAAAAAANNNN"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

"Spock punches a guy in the face for five straight minutes while Uhura looks somewhat distraught" was certainly a thing to put in your Star Trek film