Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Tommunist posted:

I believe the group consensus was to leave the child out of this

If the child posts they can deal with shitposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Knobb Manwich posted:

If the child posts they can deal with shitposts

Ure a child

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

freebooter posted:

This is a great case study of how some people are unable to imagine action on a macro scale. Yes, going to a park and barely going near anyone has a miniscule chance of spreading the virus; if five million people in Melbourne do it, that chance is no longer miniscule and the virus will spread. The government has to govern for everybody, not just for CelestialScribe.

Like, the dickhead who broke the rules and sparked clusters in Kilmore and Shepparton by not abiding by Melbourne restrictions when he was permitted to travel to regional Victoria? Absolutely not the only person doing that. There would be hundreds of them, thousands of them. But all it takes is one. That's why it's important for everybody to abide by the rules.

This is a very, very simple concept, and whether you can understand and accept it is the difference between whether you can understand and accept that other people exist and you live in a community of them, or whether you're fundamentally some grade of narcissist, psychopath or solipsist.

This is a pretty reductive analysis. Again, what you're reducing this argument down to is, "there is absolutely no reason to break these restrictions". Which, as we've already discussed, is bullshit. If you're willing to condemn the protestors in May/June as doing the same thing - then I'm happy to accept your view here. If you're not, then you're just being disingenuous.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I thought the May/June protests were a bad idea and said so at the time.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

freebooter posted:

I thought the May/June protests were a bad idea and said so at the time.

Thank you for being clear on this.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

CelestialScribe posted:

This is a pretty reductive analysis. Again, what you're reducing this argument down to is, "there is absolutely no reason to break these restrictions". Which, as we've already discussed, is bullshit. If you're willing to condemn the protestors in May/June as doing the same thing - then I'm happy to accept your view here. If you're not, then you're just being disingenuous.
the fact that you keep equivocating black lives matter protests with your child visiting their favourite park, as if the two are of equal importance to society, is why people keep calling you a solipsist

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

CelestialScribe posted:

No, you're the one reducing it to that. The argument here is in fact "your reason isn't good enough" because if everyone broke restrictions for your reasons (basically "I want to and think I know better" considering you bragged about going to a park this morning) there would be pretty much nobody following them.

In fact there are a lot of good reasons to go outside your 5km bubble and by some wild coincidence most of them are also exceptions the restrictions. Weird that

(and before you show your whole rear end no this doesn't mean I agree completely with the government on what should and shouldn't be restricted, just that they're broadly correct)

Dire Lemming fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 14, 2020

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Tommunist posted:

Ure a child

Trademark infringement

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Why is this thread so easy to troll?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

CelestialScribe is not trolling tbh

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Because Nandos is the superior chicken service establishment.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
nando's is definitely superior in regards to its cheekiness and ability to be had with the lads, not sure about anything else

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I wear a bike helmet when I post

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

kirbysuperstar posted:

I wear tinsel

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

CelestialScribe posted:

My kid is not neurotypical. He forms attachments and becomes extremely upset when he is out of routine. He loves this particular park because it has birds that he likes. It happens to be out of my 5km range but I'm not going to feel bad about taking my autistic child to one of his favourite places to give him some joy. (To be fair, I went there on my own this morning because I like it too - completely unnecessary? Sure.)

lmao

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

CelestialScribe posted:

If that's truly the case, shouldn't we be shutting down drive-through fast food joints right now?

A drive through window is a fixed position on a privately owned building. The service counter can be easily disinfected after every customer served, and the staff should be wearing gloves and masks.
Compare this to public infrastructure like a crosswalk or public park - no one is hanging around to wipe the crossing button (you don't really even need to press the button), or disinfect the benches and play equipment after everyone is done. As much as you might enjoy going to the park, you don't actually know who has been there and what they've been doing in the time that you weren't around.

I've lived near parks myself, there was one across the road from my house when I was a child. Sometimes people do things like go to a park after a party to finish drinking and have drunk sex, or do drugs and throw up (or all of the above). Sometimes if there is sand, people's pet cats will go and bury their poo poo in the playground. It's very likely that there is all kinds of nasty stuff around the place you might not be aware of anyway, and now there is a risk of covid on top of that.

TheMostFrench fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Oct 14, 2020

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Senator Jacqui Lambie has warned Prime Minister Scott Morrison she will reveal the details of a secret deal made in order to win her support for the repeal of the so-called medevac law if he does not do so himself by the end of the year.

We'll see.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Senator Jacqui Lambie has warned Prime Minister Scott Morrison she will reveal the details of a secret deal made in order to win her support for the repeal of the so-called medevac law if he does not do so himself by the end of the year.

We'll see.

On the one hand she's been doing some good stuff lately, and anything that shames Morrison is good.

On the much bigger other hand, gently caress her and everyone else who voted to repeal that law.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

Hmm yes the systematic abuse and mistreatment of an entire sector of society costing peoples lives is the exact same thing as you liking to walk around a park.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

*clears throat* uhh senor tron, do you live in victoria?

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

hambeet posted:

I wish you didnt

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Hmm yes the systematic abuse and mistreatment of an entire sector of society costing peoples lives is the exact same thing as you liking to walk around a park.

I think you will find that you just need to be consistent and then you will find the error of your ways.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NPR Journalizard posted:

I think you will find that you just need to be consistent and then you will find the error of your ways.

you don't live in Melbourne so I don't give a gently caress about your consistency!!! !

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

Could you please update the OP with each poster's then/now BLM protest stance, thank you.

Then we can section off the thread into groups, starting by BLM stance, then by home state, then by regional/metro split, and finally we'll be left with 'People who disagree with CS' and 'People who agree with CS, who CS will listen to, and are also CS'.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
I look forward to posting only with Perthgoons, all of whom I like.

Also come back to Perth JBP.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

I look forward to posting only with Perthgoons, all of whom I like.

Also come back to Perth JBP.

not gonna lie i would burg with jbp

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Just Bird Posters

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Frustrated as I might get with JBP at times I'd weakly punch him in the arm and give him a noogie

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

CelestialScribe posted:

That's right. You aren't.

Maybe try considering the things you do have the potential to impact others whether you intend to or not. No one is disputing that the Melbourne Lockdown sucks to live under and is very hard on many peoples lives.

Also before you put me on ignore for living in QLD and daring to tell you maybe not to be a dickhead about things can you share with the thread how many people you now have on ignore?

Also

Knobb Manwich posted:

Could you please update the OP with each poster's then/now BLM protest stance, thank you.

Then we can section off the thread into groups, starting by BLM stance, then by home state, then by regional/metro split, and finally we'll be left with 'People who disagree with CS' and 'People who agree with CS, who CS will listen to, and are also CS'.

For the now/then record.

Then: I thought that it was risky and dangerous as gently caress for people to attend protests, epically in the southern states given how we were still very lost on how to deal with the virus appropriately. While I strongly supported the intent and message (and still do), I would not have attended any mass gathering like that especially in a capital city with that magnitude of people. I felt that while the thread, at the time, was laughing at the foolish right-wingers/libertarians who were getting served for protesting against lockdowns it was ironic as hell they were in support of having these mass gatherings go ahead. I posted as such and as is typical got called a bootlicking, cop loving, mind addled Queenslander.

Now: I think we're lucky that no outbreaks did occur at any protest because we now know how easily it could have happened despite the fact that at the time argument was made that best practice for avoiding the virus was made. And frankly I expect a lot of other people are doing the old collar pull and realising that too. I would now think that protests would be fine in cities like Brisbane, Perth, Darwin and Hobart; not in Sydney or Melbourne.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

GoldStandardConure posted:

not gonna lie i would burg with jbp

Yes, but evidence points to your standards for burg not being monumental.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

NPR Journalizard posted:

Can confirm, GSC burgs with me. Known glassy-eyed psycho.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NPR Journalizard posted:

my burg standards are high, my standards for company however...

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, but the important question is do you use the chin strap or just leave both ends dangling, making it useless?

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

Gridlocked posted:

Maybe try considering the things you do have the potential to impact others whether you intend to or not. No one is disputing that the Melbourne Lockdown sucks to live under and is very hard on many peoples lives.

Also before you put me on ignore for living in QLD and daring to tell you maybe not to be a dickhead about things can you share with the thread how many people you now have on ignore?

Also

For the now/then record.

Then: I thought that it was risky and dangerous as gently caress for people to attend protests, epically in the southern states given how we were still very lost on how to deal with the virus appropriately. While I strongly supported the intent and message (and still do), I would not have attended any mass gathering like that especially in a capital city with that magnitude of people. I felt that while the thread, at the time, was laughing at the foolish right-wingers/libertarians who were getting served for protesting against lockdowns it was ironic as hell they were in support of having these mass gatherings go ahead. I posted as such and as is typical got called a bootlicking, cop loving, mind addled Queenslander.

Now: I think we're lucky that no outbreaks did occur at any protest because we now know how easily it could have happened despite the fact that at the time argument was made that best practice for avoiding the virus was made. And frankly I expect a lot of other people are doing the old collar pull and realising that too. I would now think that protests would be fine in cities like Brisbane, Perth, Darwin and Hobart; not in Sydney or Melbourne.

A lot of the left-of-center thoughts on the protests at the time were at the tail end of liberal/leftist scepticism over COVID. It might seem strange to think of now, but the left and right positions earlier this year were opposite to what they are now. It was the right-wing panicking about this deadly foreign virus going global and the left-wing dismissed it as a paranoid Sinophobic fantasy. I still remember rightoids posting bizarre satellite heat maps of Chinese suburbs to prove that they were burning bodies at exponential rates and hiding it because 'that's just how bad the Wuhan flu really is!' and thinking at the time that it was just some insane rambling. I was right about that specific thing, sure, but in that moment I was blinded to how bad things were about to get because I (and a lot of other people) dismissed the whole thing almost entirely. Then COVID hits the West, and it takes a while for it to sink in, but once it does the sides change really loving quickly, and they pretend that they've always thought this way.

The protests, both at home and abroad, were occurring as that shift was occurring. Sure, there was a virus out there slowly growing stronger, but we had just witnessed another brutal murder of a black man by an uncaring, racist state. Frustrations over a poor initial response to the murder and the burgeoning pandemic (and the fear that it was going to put the rest of the year on hold) spilled over, and any thought we had to our own safety and health was secondary to what we felt was our moral and civic duty. Besides, memories of reactionary hysteria were still Fresh In Our Memories that I think a lot of people at those events thought 'ehhh as long as you keep a mask on what's the worst that can happen?' That people advocated going outside in a large mass then and staying at home now is not a contradiction: it's all in the name of civic responsibility, the expression of which has changed in the past few months as a result of changing circumstances.

The frustrating and fortunate thing about it all is that it all meant nothing. The police were not abolished, not a single substantial victory was achieved for Indigenous people in custody – but it never spread the virus as much as a set of mass public gatherings should have. What spread the virus was business as usual: a failure to contain the virus where it was known to be present, and a failure to identify and contain the resulting spread. Security guards are hired off WhatsApp and given a little pamphlet on PPE handling because that's what was cheapest for the subcontracted company handling the hotel quarantine. Hotel staff forget to handle their mask the right way, rub their eyes without washing their hands, because it's a reflex and you haven't really given yourself the time to train it out. It gets out in the community, and the State Government allows a crowd at an F1 race, because hey, cases are still low enough that we can have this one last bit of fun before we need to take it seriously. It was never the big protests that set it off, but little things here and there that snowball into hundreds of cases a day and a city that's probably going to spend Christmas isolated and indoors.

Sierra Madre fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Oct 14, 2020

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

I don't buy that the 'left' were ever sceptical about COVID, it always felt like "let's be careful and make sure it doesn't gently caress us over" and the body burning and urn stockpiling stuff was always nutjob conspiracy theory territory that I wouldn't necessarily attribute to the 'right' either.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

my burg standards are high, my standards for company however...

I stand corrected

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

NPR Journalizard posted:

I stand corrected

my standards of company are very high indeed

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

bobvonunheil posted:

I don't buy that the 'left' were ever sceptical about COVID, it always felt like "let's be careful and make sure it doesn't gently caress us over" and the body burning and urn stockpiling stuff was always nutjob conspiracy theory territory that I wouldn't necessarily attribute to the 'right' either.

Yeah even the Australian BLM protest organisers in the different states recommended people self-isolate for 14 days if they attended the protests.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

my standards of company are very high indeed

I have lungs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Yeah even the Australian BLM protest organisers in the different states recommended people self-isolate for 14 days if they attended the protests.

A rally I attended handed out masks and went around offering people hand sanitiser while marching.