Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Foxtrot_13 posted:

Do Lamy nibs have a variability to them or need to be broken in?

I bought an Al-Star in bronze a few months ago for cheap and because it is so nice I have just got a Safari and the nib doesn't feel as smooth, even on the same paper using Lamy cartridges. Both came from reputable sources so fakes are not a concern. Do I just need to use the Safari more and it will sort itself out or is it just the way things are?

Lamy QC is, put politely, highly variable. I would expect any random Lamy nib (at least, on their entry stuff) to need tuning to write well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Well poo poo, I got lucky then. Got an Alstar when Barnes and noble was selling them off for $5 and it writes so well its become my daily.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
On the whole Lamy nibs are a step above most, where even the worst ones still write just fine, but you might get an amazing nib and get another and have it be a little fussier.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I bought a TWSB Eco B and filled it with iroshizuku murasaki-shikibu and to be honest it feels a bit dry and the ink is rather light. Try again with a smaller nib or did I get unlucky? I would expect a B nib to be way more wet to be honest.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Kaweco AL Sport with purble ink sat in my work bag for almost 6 months, popped it open tonight to rescue/maintain it and it writes just fine. I've been real impressed with this little guy so far.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Heath posted:

That was me, and I still haven't received my pens lol

And just like that, they arrived today. I've only tried the PIG so far, and if I'm being truthful it writes like poo poo, but I didn't clean it before I filled it either and it's a super fine writer, so it probably needs it. Will report back after a clean. I also got an Elite with the plastic body.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Keetron posted:

I bought a TWSB Eco B and filled it with iroshizuku murasaki-shikibu and to be honest it feels a bit dry and the ink is rather light. Try again with a smaller nib or did I get unlucky? I would expect a B nib to be way more wet to be honest.

might just need a cleaning, get them tines used to moving liquid, maybe some gentle shakes--like you would a baby--or some gentle taps against a hard surface--like you wouldn't a baby.

anyway you probably know what you're doing and i've no experience with the TWSBIs but i do with iroshizuku and that does not seem like normal behavior for the ink.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

FFT posted:

might just need a cleaning, get them tines used to moving liquid, maybe some gentle shakes--like you would a baby--or some gentle taps against a hard surface--like you wouldn't a baby.

anyway you probably know what you're doing and i've no experience with the TWSBIs but i do with iroshizuku and that does not seem like normal behavior for the ink.

Thank you, seems I will just write this fill empty or if it annoys me too much try a different ink. I was just hoping for a deep purple but maybe the ink itself is light. Not that it is not pretty, I was just hoping for a deeper tone. I'll also try the ink in a different pen, it is rather friendly to handle.
Also possible I am just going to fast, it takes me something like 20 minutes to fill a page with this:

Here you can also see a bit more what I mean with dry and light.
Oh, it can also be the paper, it is an Illo sketchbook and there is variation per sheet of paper how it behaves. It seems the books I bought were part of a batch that had troubles with paper but most pages are fine. As I said, I will try a few pages to make sure it is not the paper and empty the pen and can also try on other paper, it is gonna be fine.

For drawing lately I mostly use Platinum Carbon Black so it could also be I am just not used anymore to lighter colors?

Conclusion: I am actually having a lot of fun.

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

I have a pen inked w/ murasaki in front of me now and can confirm it isn't the world's most eye-searingly vivid looking purple color. I still think it rules and you might just try getting used to it. If you can't, I would say try noodler's north african violet, it's maybe a slight bit more blueish but very similar in hue, more saturated, a little darker, and doesn't give quite as much shading.

Gotta remember too that the same ink can look and handle a lot different coming from different pens. With this pen, which has a big-ish nib, it puts out just the right amount of the murasaki, not dry at all but not too wet, so it looks vivid enough and has good shading. But I also tried it with a pen with an EF nib and found the color to be way too light, so I continue to use the Noodler's with that pen.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Murasaki also seemed pretty light to me out of my EF metro. It grew on me, though.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Cool, that is great info. I like it enough not to let it gather dust and it is likely to get finished some day in 2021, 15ml is not a lot of ink.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Thinking of asking for a high-capacity demonstrator for Xmas, and I've had my eye on TWSBIs for a while - any thoughts on the Eco vs the 580 Mini vs the Vac Mini?

I feel like the full-size 580 or Vac are going to be too long and/or awkward when posted, which is how I prefer to write. I read that the Vac mini might be harder to disassemble and clean than other types of filling mechanism, which could be an issue given that I don't know a thing about properly cleaning a pen.

Alternative option: are any of the cheapo Ebay Chinese knockoffs of TWSBI worth considering instead?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Surprise T Rex posted:

Thinking of asking for a high-capacity demonstrator for Xmas, and I've had my eye on TWSBIs for a while - any thoughts on the Eco vs the 580 Mini vs the Vac Mini?

I feel like the full-size 580 or Vac are going to be too long and/or awkward when posted, which is how I prefer to write. I read that the Vac mini might be harder to disassemble and clean than other types of filling mechanism, which could be an issue given that I don't know a thing about properly cleaning a pen.

Alternative option: are any of the cheapo Ebay Chinese knockoffs of TWSBI worth considering instead?

I don't know enough to answer your question directly, but 1) yes the full size Vac is awkward when posted and 2) you might also want to look into the Chinese knockoff Pilot Custom 823, if not the Pilot itself.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I have a 580 and it is nice unposted. I did not like the Eco I got, it feels flimsy.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What's the name of the knock off 823?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Surprise T Rex posted:

Have you considered the (clear) Moonman M2?

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

gschmidl posted:

Have you considered the (clear) Moonman M2?

I had not, but after having a quick look I think I want one with a piston/vac fill mechanism rather than an eyedropper.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Sankis posted:

What's the name of the knock off 823?

Wing Sung 699.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Surprise T Rex posted:

I had not, but after having a quick look I think I want one with a piston/vac fill mechanism rather than an eyedropper.

I got this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000148690882.html

So far (3 months in) it has not ex- or imploded (or leaked).

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Surprise T Rex posted:

Vacumatic filling systems are a pain to clean if you don't disassemble them. Fortunately TWSBI's vacs are stupid easy to maintain, just use the wrench to unscrew the plunger. It's a little less fiddly than the 580 honestly. Also the 700r basically doesn't post, so if that's something you absolutely positively need your pen to do you should look elsewhere. That being said, it's a nice size in the hand imo.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Will the TWSBI 580 Inkwell work with the 580ALR series? I'm tired of having to clean the tiny textured aluminum section with soap every time I refill it (which is pretty infrequent, this thing really does hold a lot of ink!).

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I've settled on getting a sailor 1911 L (probably for Christmas) I'm excited. Just wish i was felt like I could splurge and buy like four colors. (I won't). Still, stoked.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Hey so I got a decent pen and filled it with Baystate Blue (RIP). I'm definitely noticing jellied lumps already but it's running just fine atm. Am I good to clean it once it runs out or should I act now before it clogs?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Frances Nurples posted:

Hey so I got a decent pen and filled it with Baystate Blue (RIP). I'm definitely noticing jellied lumps already but it's running just fine atm. Am I good to clean it once it runs out or should I act now before it clogs?

Clean now, soak the feed/nib in ammonia or white vinegar over night.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

Word, thanks.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

LionArcher posted:

I've settled on getting a sailor 1911 L (probably for Christmas) I'm excited. Just wish i was felt like I could splurge and buy like four colors. (I won't). Still, stoked.

NICE!! i swore to myself i'd never spend more than $100 on a pen but the fresca blue 1911L is probably like my #1 bucket list pen or w/e

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

meat glitter posted:

i swore to myself i'd never spend more than $100 on a pen

Hahahaha

Oh that brings back such memories.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sankis posted:

Hahahaha

Oh that brings back such memories.

I recently paid 85EU for a pen and it writes similar to a 25EU pen, which is just fine.
At what point will one start noticing a real difference and on what metrics is that difference most pronounced?

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

Keetron posted:

I recently paid 85EU for a pen and it writes similar to a 25EU pen, which is just fine.
At what point will one start noticing a real difference and on what metrics is that difference most pronounced?

There's really no reliable metric - you can think of it as similar to food. Paying extra money can get you access to particular experiences (eg aged steaks and vintage wine on the one hand, and layered nibs and celebrity nibmeister adjustments on the other), but whether it's "good" is heavily subjective despite there being objective differences in the product you're receiving. There's every possibility that Jinhaos and fast food are enough to keep you satisfied for life.

If it makes you happy and you can afford it, then you shouldn't worry too much about calculating value-for-money. There are too many intangibles to consider.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Keetron posted:

Pen Addict has a statement that after $300-400 range there is no difference, but taste, but to that point there can be. Really depends on the nibs from his point.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

meat glitter posted:

NICE!! i swore to myself i'd never spend more than $100 on a pen but the fresca blue 1911L is probably like my #1 bucket list pen or w/e

fresca blue is on my list, but so is the wicked witch of the west, the other blue, the key lime, and finally (the one I'll probably get) tangerine dream. If I do buy it. (Still not 100%) would the thread want pics? I'll go 1911L in medium nib. (I prefer non scratchy but not too big.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

LionArcher posted:

Pen Addict has a statement that after $300-400 range there is no difference, but taste, but to that point there can be. Really depends on the nibs from his point.

More expensive pens may not be about how they write but what they look like, e. g. the Nakaya Dorsal Fin which takes several months of work and curing. Or they're overpriced garbage from "luxury" companies.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The most consistently good writer I have is a Platinum Preppy. They're unbeatable.

One of the worst writing pens I have is a Pilot Murex red stripe that regularly sells for 250+.

:shrug:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

gschmidl posted:

More expensive pens may not be about how they write but what they look like, e. g. the Nakaya Dorsal Fin which takes several months of work and curing. Or they're overpriced garbage from "luxury" companies.

yeah, from what I've seen. Though the sailor pro gear slim I tried was a very nice writer (just too small) for my hands, which is why i'm looking at the 1911L. Honestly, like others have said my "best" writer is the Lamy 2000. I figure pair that with a Sailor and really there will be no better "combo" of pens I could have for daily writers.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

LionArcher posted:

fresca blue is on my list, but so is the wicked witch of the west, the other blue, the key lime, and finally (the one I'll probably get) tangerine dream. If I do buy it. (Still not 100%) would the thread want pics? I'll go 1911L in medium nib. (I prefer non scratchy but not too big.

I got the wicked witch of the west, I like it a lot. It's a good understated purple.

I'm eying the VP LS as well, though I'm balking a little at that purchase.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

Heath posted:

The most consistently good writer I have is a Platinum Preppy. They're unbeatable.

One of the worst writing pens I have is a Pilot Murex red stripe that regularly sells for 250+.

:shrug:

That's too bad about the Murex. I've been looking to get an integrated nib pen. Myu and Murex are outside of my price range, but apparently Hero has done a few (849/850) and also had an upscale brand called Paidi that released some. Do you think it's inherent in the design?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Pens with integrated nibs are notoriously difficult to tune. I had a Parker Falcon and I have a Paidi 5. The Paidi was okay, but the Parker was a complete mess and difficult to work on. Nature of the beast, I suppose.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

fanny packrat posted:

That's too bad about the Murex. I've been looking to get an integrated nib pen. Myu and Murex are outside of my price range, but apparently Hero has done a few (849/850) and also had an upscale brand called Paidi that released some. Do you think it's inherent in the design?

I'm not educated enough to say for sure, but the pen is just too drat fine. It's easily the finest nib I own, so anything I put in it dries out in the nib instantly if I'm not constantly writing with it

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Fun Shoe

fanny packrat posted:

I don't get along with my Myu but I don't think the nib is the problem - there's no reason it shouldn't have the potential to write just the same as any other steel nib. What bugs me is the diameter and the slippery grip. The Pilot Super Ultra has a similar profile but has an inlaid nib in an urushi-covered barrel and it's much nicer to grasp. Not easy to track one of those down, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

LionArcher posted:

That is way over my price range, I'll stick to the sub 100 pens and it also means I am complete with 4 pens unless I find new colors I *need* in a pen such as a nice deep dark green.