Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find the Halo 2 elites to be fine, the trouble comes from having no breathing room once your shield drops. Theyre tough buggers but you're not fighting against OP shields as much as you are their rapid firepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Halo 2 brutes are absolutely ridiculous though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Anita Dickinme posted:

yeah the start of High Charity is just brutality on Legendary

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I honestly don’t think I’ll play any of the Halo games on Legendary solo after thinking about it. I had a tough time with CE when the flood showed up and then of course the brutes being absolutely OP in 2... and I was playing on normal. :negative:

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

jokes posted:

Plasma pistol has been an excellent weapon since H:CE, when it was a rapid fire minimum with near-perfect accuracy.

It's weird they never put in a enemy that countered the plasma pistol and pp/headshot combo.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Flannelette posted:

It's weird they never put in a enemy that countered the plasma pistol and pp/headshot combo.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but plasma has never been very useful against flood, no?

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Flannelette posted:

Arguably the Brutes in Halo 2 are pretty close to this. Without any armor thats vulnerable to plasma, they're essentially bullet sponges with possible headshots after de-helmetification.

Arrath posted:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but plasma has never been very useful against flood, no?

In 3 it is the only thing that will damage flood Pure forms regardless of if they're armored up or not. I'd give the CE Plasma Rifle/Pistol extra points mostly because the bullet magnetism in the game tends to make it really easy to pop infection forms with them, and hitting a combat form stuns it briefly.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Oh right I'd repressed H3's pure forms cause they were just horseshit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Back in the day some of my friends were going through Halo 2 legendary and were completely stuck on sniper alley. I ask to try and I get through it first time and though I pretended it was skill and I was really good at the game it was in fact sheer luck and I've never come close again lol

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Anita Dickinme posted:

The shotgun wielding Brutes in Uprising are absolute bastards on Legendary and that’s before they go berserk and become one-hit-kill tanks.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Pure Flood die instantly to the flame thrower. as long as you can beeline to that in a level (and have something to quickly knock down ranged forms...) it's relatively easy. a single tap of flames kill even battle forms right away.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah the laser sword, flamethrower, shotgun, and sentinel beam seem to be the best tools to deal with the flood across the games. Are “kinetic” (human) weapons more effective against them than covenant weapons in general? It seems like the plasma rifle, carbine, pistol, etc. are pretty anemic against them.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Brute Shot works great too. Also the Mauler. I've not found the Spiker super effective... but, yeah, kinetic stuff seems to work golden.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Sally posted:

Brute Shot works great too. Also the Mauler. I've not found the Spiker super effective... but, yeah, kinetic stuff seems to work golden.

100% Brute shot, yeah. melee kills in one hit, maybe two for the tank forms. the actual grenade can blow up groups of infection or combat forms, and it gibs them so they can't revive. or the grenade can knock the ranged forms off of walls/ceilings, allowing you to melee them, or at least it usually neutralizes them or they'll turn into stalkers which are almost harmless

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Halo 3 plasma rifle is lowkey one of the best anti flood weapons in the game for plain old utility.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Sally posted:

Pure Flood die instantly to the flame thrower. as long as you can beeline to that in a level (and have something to quickly knock down ranged forms...) it's relatively easy. a single tap of flames kill even battle forms right away.

Fun fact, everything dies to one tap of flames! (Except vehicles, I guess, and maybe Hunters?). It's just not instant.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Halo 3 plasma rifle is lowkey one of the best anti flood weapons in the game for plain old utility.

Honestly covenant weapons as a whole are excellent. Brute plasma rifles just tear the poo poo out of shields.

The plasma repeater from Reach should be ret-conned to every game. Something about it just feels right, man.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

jokes posted:

The plasma repeater from Reach should be ret-conned to every game. Something about it just feels right, man.

Them's fightin words

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

jokes posted:

Honestly covenant weapons as a whole are excellent. Brute plasma rifles just tear the poo poo out of shields.

You take that back right now :mad: The repeater is truly terrible; it doesn’t even do bonus damage to shields like other plasma weapons. This is because it’s basically a reskinned assault rifle. It was decent in the Reach beta but then for some reason they nerfed it into the ground.

I played a bunch of Invasion back when Reach came out for PC, and I would’ve given up my firstborn child to have a Halo 1 plasma rifle instead of that awful repeater.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

General Battuta posted:

Fun fact, everything dies to one tap of flames! (Except vehicles, I guess, and maybe Hunters?). It's just not instant.

yeah but it's the instant that matters. Pure Flood drop the moment the tiniest whiff of flame touch them. Combat Forms run around screaming and are a hazard to the player. I've died enough times to that to know the difference is a vital one.

(also i am fairly certain that if you don't get Combat Forms with the flamethrower just so, they can last long enough for the flames to go out and keep fighting. I know a Pure Flood will die with the lightest tap of the trigger... i need to shower Combat Forms slightly more to be sure they drop--which is why I prefer the shotgun for them where possible)

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Well that was an experience.

Turns out giving the humans in Infection loving BATTLE RIFLES goes kinda poorly for the zombies!

What the christ, 343.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Isnt that a classic format for infection?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't remember that. I've only ever played infection with shotguns+pistols, or just one of those two.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Shotguns with pistols was excellent because pistols were pretty poo poo at headshots.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

OK, having finally gotten a game that wasn't Speed Demons, I can confirm that normal infection has shotty/pistol like god intended.

I can also confirm that Speed Demons is way too loving common. One game that wasn't it.

ONE.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something I've wondered about Halo 2 and 3. Were the other Prophets (aka the San'Shyuum as a species) aware of the lie that the Halos were superweapons and not holy relics? Truth, Regret and Mercy all definitely knew the Great Journey was a falsehood, but did the other prophets know? If they didn't does that mean that the Elites committed genocide against another group that was just as duped as they were?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

There's no clear canonical answer. In Halo 3, some random dialogue seems to suggest that Truth knew the Ark would keep him safe from Halo. But if Truth knew that Halo was just going to kill his rear end, why did he send Tartarus to activate Halo and kill his rear end? It doesn't really make any sense.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

As I understand it, all the Hierarchs knew was that Humanity were the Reclaimers, not that the Halos were a superweapon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
But does that mean the other prophets signed off on the order to murder the Elites? Or was that a unilateral decision by the Hierarchs that ended up getting most of their species killed off in a civil war?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is never explained or suggested in game, but I like the idea that Truth had to get rid of the Elites immediately because he knew they were about to figure out Humans were Forerunners. There were already dudes like the heretic leader who'd made the jump, but the Ark being on Earth was the ultimate smoking gun and would've led the Elites to the (har) truth.

So Truth had to strike first before the Elites made the connection.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Proper Nouns

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

But does that mean the other prophets signed off on the order to murder the Elites? Or was that a unilateral decision by the Hierarchs that ended up getting most of their species killed off in a civil war?

Oh, most of them were totally down for it. The ones that weren't either got purged with their Elite allies or got away with them.

Then there's the Flood, which probably killed a fair number too.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Are wraiths in Halo 2 meant to be impossibly tanky to anything short of a scorpion shot or are the two at the end of Metropolis just bugged/scripted to take an assload of damage?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are wraiths in Halo 2 meant to be impossibly tanky to anything short of a scorpion shot or are the two at the end of Metropolis just bugged/scripted to take an assload of damage?

They're pretty heavily armored but like Ghosts you can shoot them in the fusion core on the back to almost instantly destroy them, or kill the turret gunner and start punchin'

The Gauss hog takes way longer to kill them than I remembered though

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RBA Starblade posted:

They're pretty heavily armored but like Ghosts you can shoot them in the fusion core on the back to almost instantly destroy them, or kill the turret gunner and start punchin'

The Gauss hog takes way longer to kill them than I remembered though

Halo 2 wraiths don't have a turret gunner, they have two side guns. I tried to sabotage them from the back and it took three grenades and still didn't go down.

Also lol at Cortana "concentrate on the wraiths they're the biggest threat!" when there's three jackal snipers above them.

If Halo 2 had its base game speed with the better balancing of Halo 3 it would be a lot better with less cheap deaths.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

Halo 2 wraiths don't have a turret gunner, they have two side guns. I tried to sabotage them from the back and it took three grenades and still didn't go down.

Uh that doesn't sound right. One grenade will kill any boarded tank, iirc.

If that (somehow) fails you don't actually need grenades, just keep meleeing.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

General Battuta posted:

Uh that doesn't sound right. One grenade will kill any boarded tank, iirc.

If that (somehow) fails you don't actually need grenades, just keep meleeing.

Then it must have been one hell of a bug because that wraith ate three grenades and four rockets to the face and was still standing. I only managed to complete the level because I got a checkpoint where the pelican lands and I could get into the building.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Then it must have been one hell of a bug because that wraith ate three grenades and four rockets to the face and was still standing. I only managed to complete the level because I got a checkpoint where the pelican lands and I could get into the building.

Oh no no no, they take one grenade when you board them and plant one.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah grenades don't do poo poo to Wraiths unless it's shoved into the pilot's mouth. I think it takes like 5 plasmas to the fusion core on the back to destroy a wraith?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ablative posted:

Oh no no no, they take one grenade when you board them and plant one.

Thats what I did. I boarded it from the front, dropped in a grenade and dismounted. Thst didn't kill it, so I boarded from the rear and naded it and that didn't kill it, so I grabbed the spanker and unloaded four shots into it and that didn't kill it. Thing was a bastard thst wouldn't die.