Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Jerusalem posted:

This is part of the reason I dislike Unity so much. It covers what is arguably the most fascinating condensed period in all of history and somehow manages to make it boring. Like, that shouldn't be possible, it's actually incredible that they somehow managed to make Revolutionary-era France dull.

It's still better than the utter wretchedness that was AC3 at least.

There were lots of complaints about AC3 Connor being involved in every major event, so they went the opposite route in Unity and the revolution is barely part of the story, it sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Jerusalem posted:

This is part of the reason I dislike Unity so much. It covers what is arguably the most fascinating condensed period in all of history and somehow manages to make it boring. Like, that shouldn't be possible, it's actually incredible that they somehow managed to make Revolutionary-era France dull.

i mean i sorta get why. its a super duper complicated event on like 20 different levels and lenses and such. it works better as a background period to a story than the main events but not enough happens in the game and everything happens out of order anyway.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I liked the detective stuff and solving the crimes, even though you could just accuse everyone and make it easy.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I enjoyed Unity overall but there’s one aspect that sours it for me, and that’s how it treated Elise. It’s annoying enough that she’s not playable despite seeming like she should be (it would’ve been perfect for the dual-protagonists system they later used in Syndicate), but then they go and kill her off at the end just for cheap drama. What a waste.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bakeneko posted:

I enjoyed Unity overall but there’s one aspect that sours it for me, and that’s how it treated Elise. It’s annoying enough that she’s not playable despite seeming like she should be (it would’ve been perfect for the dual-protagonists system they later used in Syndicate), but then they go and kill her off at the end just for cheap drama. What a waste.

Given what we know about Ubisoft behind the scenes now it seems like the development teams wanted female assassins for years but the higher-ups kept striking them down in favor of STRAIGHT. WHITE. MALES!!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unity was the game where the four player co-op was all guys and when people complained they went 'animation too haaaard'

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

exquisite tea posted:

Given what we know about Ubisoft behind the scenes now it seems like the development teams wanted female assassins for years but the higher-ups kept striking them down in favor of STRAIGHT. WHITE. MALES!!

I actually had a guy ask me why I was playing as Kassandra. I know he was straight from the naked pictures of women he displayed in his car.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I just got the Artemis armor and it's loving fierce:

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Alhazred posted:

I just got the Artemis armor and it's loving fierce:

Yeah, I used that as my transmog until pretty much the end of the last DLC. Just felt right.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I think probably my biggest fear about Valhalla is that the voice acting is gonna be a big step back compared to Origins and Odyssey. Hope I'm wrong but the clips we've seen so far have been pretty bad.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

fuf posted:

I think probably my biggest fear about Valhalla is that the voice acting is gonna be a big step back compared to Origins and Odyssey. Hope I'm wrong but the clips we've seen so far have been pretty bad.

yeah. both eivors sound too calm/chill to me. like alexios voice actor wasn't perfect but it worked for what he was trying to do(big dumb chaotic good super greek hero who fucks and kills his way through greece on a big dumb adventure,

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwjOCpDVoyI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi_PXTu7JZo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmIKMuEC0V4

new gameplay and etc.

fighting joetuns and poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Video unavailable

This video is not available

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

what the gently caress

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
gently caress yeah I love me some gelman

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Sakurazuka posted:

Video unavailable

This video is not available

https://www.ign.com/videos/assassins-creed-valhalla-unleash-your-inner-viking-chapter-1-dual-wielding-raiding

this worked for me

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
lmao chapter 3 whips rear end

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cheers lol

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Earwicker posted:

what the gently caress

No but seriously I watched the last video in those links.

what the gently caress

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I don't know if I actually like those videos, but I do like Brett Gelman and I'm glad he got paid to do something weird

Game still looks cool too, I didn't know about the settlement-building, but then again I've been ignoring all the non-weird press for it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
those were fun videos and I'm always glad to see Gelman getting paid.

Game looks good.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hopefully someone will have the time to clip together just the gameplay parts of these because I don't want to watch a 6 minute video for a handful of 5 second gameplay footage clips.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

Some of those clips are the first time this looked fun to me, but they're way too short to tell for sure. The animation and general polish looks better than the leaked footage from a month ago. It looks more like Witcher's Creed than ever, which I'm fine with.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i just love the ice giants.

i like the idea that the myth shits gonna be loving brain trips mostly instead of "the matrix but real but not real but real".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68ugkg9RePc

Big Bidness posted:

Some of those clips are the first time this looked fun to me, but they're way too short to tell for sure. The animation and general polish looks better than the leaked footage from a month ago. It looks more like Witcher's Creed than ever, which I'm fine with.

yeah. it alot more fluid and way way less spongy than odyssey was. so that's cool.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 13, 2020

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Sakurazuka posted:

Unity was the game where the four player co-op was all guys and when people complained they went 'animation too haaaard'

Being totally fair, Unity’s clothing customization options are absolutely bug-gently caress insane with how detailed they get. Once the decision was made to have just a single gender for MP it definitely would have been one of those “re-doing this means doubling our budget” kind of things.

It also might be worth playing on back-compatibility if Ubisoft bothers to (un)patch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5KaXdeod8

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dewgy posted:

Being totally fair, Unity’s clothing customization options are absolutely bug-gently caress insane with how detailed they get. Once the decision was made to have just a single gender for MP it definitely would have been one of those “re-doing this means doubling our budget” kind of things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ5KaXdeod8

Yeaaaa but there's no way they get that benefit of the doubt when you learn how scummy they've been over and over again...

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

bike tory posted:

Hopefully someone will have the time to clip together just the gameplay parts of these because I don't want to watch a 6 minute video for a handful of 5 second gameplay footage clips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68OvyYHHq1s

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

This isn't the next-gen looking Assassin's Creed that I was hoping it would be, that will likely be the next title, but I am still extremely hyped for this and am excited it's now less than a month away.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I said come in! posted:

This isn't the next-gen looking Assassin's Creed that I was hoping it would be, that will likely be the next title, but I am still extremely hyped for this and am excited it's now less than a month away.

yeah. i am curious if it will be rome or asia/indian subcontent next. i assume they are gonna keep the combat mechanics similar too since they seem to have found their niche.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, the two year break thing had me expecting a bit more of a paradigm shift for sure, but if it ends up feeling like just more of the same, the two saving graces are that it's more of the same of something that was loving awesome, and that there was the two year break to break up the feeling of sameness a bit. I wouldn't say I'm massively hyped, but after one year I would have still felt pretty burned out from the Origins and Odyssey double feature, whereas now I feel like I have a place in my life for this again.

Whether the game ends up surprising me by surpassing its predecessors or feeling like a poor cousin, I'm definitely resolved to cut back on landmark clearing tedium this time, which should help the experience be more enjoyable either way.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 14, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

Yeah, the two year break thing had me expecting a bit more of a paradigm shift for sure, but if it ends up feeling like just more of the same, the two saving graces are that it's more of the same of something that was loving awesome, and that there was the two year break to break up the feeling of sameness a bit. I wouldn't say I'm massively hyped, but after one year I would have still felt pretty burned out from the Origins and Odyssey double feature, whereas now I feel like I have a place in my life for this again.

yea this is where I'm at. I'm a bit bummed they didn't go for a newer experience but I'm not gonna complain MUCH about 'more of the same' when I liked the same the last two times. So yea, I'm not busting a nut over HOT VIKING ACTION but I'm looking forward to playing it and will likely have a fun time chopping people's heads off for Odin once I actually am doing it.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah I’m not bursting at the seams waiting to play this but I got a ton of time and enjoyment out of the last two and can think of way worse titles to help break in a new console with.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

yea this is where I'm at. I'm a bit bummed they didn't go for a newer experience but I'm not gonna complain MUCH about 'more of the same' when I liked the same the last two times. So yea, I'm not busting a nut over HOT VIKING ACTION but I'm looking forward to playing it and will likely have a fun time chopping people's heads off for Odin once I actually am doing it.

yeah. i think i will genuinely enjoy the action and the setting but i need to get my hands on it first and that won't be til Christmas or so. personaly i am ok with the current cycle of 2 asscreed games in a row and than a year long break to build hype and drop updates and DLC for the last one. i just hope they keep the combat mechanics. because while unity and syndicate are probably the best the old system has to offer. its still not very fun. i like poor mans dark souls over dancing with guards for 10 min.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I'm hyped for this because I'm English and want to wander around unspoilt virtual England. They seem to have got the feel of lowland woods quite well; I have doubts about actual landmarks, from what they've shown of Stonehenge, but it will be fun to see, anyway.

My big worry is that the quests will be disappointing. They weren't exactly deep in Odyssey, but they made Kassandra such a fun person to be that it was fine. That's going to be hard to pull off again.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

How they deal with this new generation of consoles vs the last such transition is certainly a study in contrasts.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
That new footage shows the gender select screen and the middle option is:

"Let the Animus choose:
The Animus will represent the stronger MALE or FEMALE memory-stream, depending on its current strength"

Do you think this means it switches up gender periodically throughout the game? Pretty cool idea but might also be a bit jarring.

I usually pick the female PC if given a chance but was thinking I would go male this time for some reason (probably because the female voice actor won't live up to Kassandra)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Lady Eivor on the battlefield, Male Eivor when kissing dudes.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Simone Magus posted:

Unity is aggressively mediocre

I'd say Syndicate is the epitome of mediocrity. It has good songs in it like Jokes Jokes Jokes but is shy of showing players anything good so you will almost certainly not hear those. Unity at least tries to show you big crowds of people and connect to the era it portrays, Syndicate is all about gangs of New York but also Dickens and there's Marx with a funny accent and the Queen is not amused.

Then again the series had probably broke my mind cause after playing the whole series (except 2D games) I consider Odyssey to be the best game in the series if not the best action-adventure game ever. I'm surprised that people aren't bonkers about it and hardcore AC gamers even consider it to be bad AC game. So my opinions about the series are all off. But looking at Valhalla and seeing next(cross)gen AC game to take all the best from Origins and Odyssey fills my heart with optimism.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

fuf posted:

That new footage shows the gender select screen and the middle option is:

"Let the Animus choose:
The Animus will represent the stronger MALE or FEMALE memory-stream, depending on its current strength"

Do you think this means it switches up gender periodically throughout the game? Pretty cool idea but might also be a bit jarring.

They said you could change gender at will.

Since they went with gender being purely cosmetic there's no reason not to do that. In Odyssey it would be a little too much because of spoilers but it's probably fine in Valhalla. You can probably change all skills of your character with a little gold, who says experienced Viking Animus Shamans can't help you with other changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I thought Odyssey IS considered the best of the series? People raved about it when it came out, and when I finally got to play it I was blown away by how good it was.