Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This could all have been brought to a head decades ago if Spain had got their way and the FIFA World Cup only allowed teams attached to real countries.

e: 221 years ago in October 1799, the Royal Navy captured a Spanish treasure convoy worth more than £600,000 off of Vigo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Wish we had nice weather and Börek.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

keep punching joe posted:

Wish we had nice weather and Börek.

Same, the weather is good but needs to be less rainy.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Communist Thoughts posted:

All the tories need to do to hold the union together is not allow a 2nd ref.
Theyr stupid enough to fail at that but its pretty easy

Yup. Support for independence can poll as high as it wants, the Tories are still the ones who get to decide if we get a ref or not. And they might be loving spectacularly incompetent, but even they know they hold the power there.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Yes, if done properly and it's what's required. What's the alternative, taking it on the chin as Boris suggested?

Yes, restricting travel and test/trace/isolate are what's required right now. No, it's not a long term solution. You can't have fully closed borders forever.

I think you're confused about what I'm saying. The only "long term" outcome to this pandemic is when enough immunity exists to prevent exponential spread, either because everyone has had it or because of vaccination. Until then all our measures are just delay tactics.

But the point I was trying to make is that delay tactics are what we need. In that regard a lockdown is absolutely necessary even if on it's own it only buys us a few months.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Yup. Support for independence can poll as high as it wants, the Tories are still the ones who get to decide if we get a ref or not. And they might be loving spectacularly incompetent, but even they know they hold the power there.

High support for independence actually helps the Tories. They aren't going to grant another referendum, but they can point to Labour and say "if those guys got in, they'd give Scotland a referendum and that's the end of the UK". The higher the support, the more plausible that argument becomes.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Masks being worn in shops and elsewhere for the last few weeks, infections going up.
Therefore either masks don't work or masks are making it worse.

So, say I, there's another explanation and that is that if people weren't wearing masks so much it would be MORE worse.
Rubbish, says anti-masker and a bunch of other people.... and in any case after a few weeks the masks smell.... (hello? haven't they heard of washing them?)
Mask wearing is a known cause of students going back to university

e: should probably press refresh more

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Gotta say though I don't get what's in it for the SNP to go independent.

Seems like running the country would be a lot harder work than LARPing that you're running the country but still getting paid and going on telly

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Seems like running the country would be a lot harder work than LARPing that you're running the country but still getting paid and going on telly

Those giant no-bid contracts the Tories give to their mates? The SNP get to give those to their mates

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

Amazon is a small business.

According to its accountants.

Nice.

I wonder if the train knowers in this thread can answer this question. I was told by a coworker that Britain is the only country which has a barrier either natural or man made around every bit of railroad in the country? That this was done so the poor couldn't throw things at the rich as they passed by on the train. I've been trying to think of places that have no barrier but can't think of one (apart from platforms I suppose).

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i'm anticipating i will have settled in a pretty true blue forever tory area by 2024, so i'm curious what this means for my vote. like, does it even matter? it's weird to contemplate not voting but what's the point you know?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

jabby posted:

Yes, restricting travel and test/trace/isolate are what's required right now. No, it's not a long term solution. You can't have fully closed borders forever.

I think you're confused about what I'm saying. The only "long term" outcome to this pandemic is when enough immunity exists to prevent exponential spread, either because everyone has had it or because of vaccination. Until then all our measures are just delay tactics.

But the point I was trying to make is that delay tactics are what we need. In that regard a lockdown is absolutely necessary even if on it's own it only buys us a few months.

Isn’t test/trace/isolate a long term solution if it’s actually done well? I thought that was what was done for SARS?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
Boris will grant a referendum because independence means 50+ less non-Tory MPs in Westminster. The Tories won 6 out of 59 seats so getting rid of Scotland would increase their majority massively.

elbkaida
Jan 13, 2008
Look!

bessantj posted:

Nice.

I wonder if the train knowers in this thread can answer this question. I was told by a coworker that Britain is the only country which has a barrier either natural or man made around every bit of railroad in the country? That this was done so the poor couldn't throw things at the rich as they passed by on the train. I've been trying to think of places that have no barrier but can't think of one (apart from platforms I suppose).

They probably did it to stop people and animals running around on tracks, at least in more densely populated areas.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Guavanaut posted:

This could all have been brought to a head decades ago if Spain had got their way and the FIFA World Cup only allowed teams attached to real countries.

e: 221 years ago in October 1799, the Royal Navy captured a Spanish treasure convoy worth more than £600,000 off of Vigo.

The FAW is older than loads of "real" European "countries" so Spain can do one until they free Catalonia or whatever they have going on.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

bessantj posted:

Nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZSepvN4z4A

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I worry that a Starmer victory would be worse in the long run than another Tory one. Every single centrist could then say 'see, sensible haircut boy with no opinions won' and plausibly discredit the left for a long time to come.

The question of Scottish independence could legally be kicked into the long grass no matter popular support, but if Holyrood went full UDI it would put Westminster in a very difficult position. Would they be willing to do what the Spaniards did to Catalonia, or perhaps worse? Would Holyrood be able to marshal enough power to prevent that? Do the Scottish police/forces based in Scotland enforce the British law or (independent) Scottish law? Could the Tories deal with genuine civil unrest once support for indy reaches 75%+ as demographic trends suggest it will over the coming decades.

I'm not at all saying that this will end in Ireland level conflict because I don't think that's what anyone wants, but there is a lot more to consider when we talk about power than the technically 'legal' argument.

Maybe some of them actually believe in something

Clarence
May 3, 2012

bessantj posted:

Nice.

Weymouth harbour is the most obvious one, but that's been closed for over 20 years now. Tracks are still in situ though. Anything else currently around, e.g. Porthmadog, could probably be seen as an extended level crossing.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The new angle is "well, we all die eventually":

https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1316282095279407106

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I mean, that logic can apply to literally all medical treatment and also eating, drinking and breathing. So sure.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Random question because I'm sure someone will know.

For bathroom extractor fans where the noisy bit is in the roof rather than the vent (or any HVAC really) you can get axial fans like

where air goes in, air comes out, easy enough, and you can get inline centrifugal fans like

where the air is flung out at right angles, and then marshaled around so that the duct can be inline, which seems inefficient to me, but I'm looking for a centrifugal fan like every other centrifugal blower type, like

although that's obviously complete overkill for a bathroom (make your own poo poo poo poo jokes), because I need to turn 90 degrees in very limited space and it seems like having a fan that normally does that anyway would be ideal.

Why are all the centrifugal bathroom fans inline when that seems far worse? Why can I not get an ordinary 150mm ducted blower that isn't 415V 1.5kW and designed for an oil rig?
You can get external units that do exactly that

but they're about 300 quid and not what I actually need.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
while my experience on European trains isn't all that extensive, having some sort of fence alongside the track seems to be the norm pretty much everywhere I've been, so I'm calling bullshit on the "only in the UK" part

the "to stop the poors throwing things" bit is so obviously laughable I'm not even going to bother

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Clarence posted:

Weymouth harbour is the most obvious one, but that's been closed for over 20 years now. Tracks are still in situ though. Anything else currently around, e.g. Porthmadog, could probably be seen as an extended level crossing.

As the title of the linked video says, the line into Weymouth harbour was classified as a tramway since it ran on public highways without fencing. As such it had to comply with the BoT rules for tramways - either the locomotive had to have skirts covering the wheels and engine rods, cowcatchers at each end, lamps and warning bells (like an American train, basically) or (as in the case of Weymouth) ordinary equipment could be used but had to proceed at no more than 5mph (and technically follow all other rules of the road such as traffic lights, Give Way signs and pedestrian crossings!) and be accompanies by staff on the ground with red flags to clear the way and protect any traffic approaching the train.

The 'proper' railway was legally required to be fully fenced - with only a few exceptions in very remote bits of Scotland and Wales - virtually from Day 1. Partly it was to stop animals and livestock wandering onto the line and having a messy end to their existence, and partly on the part of the railway companies to protect their property and reduce their liability for any injuries caused to people unfamiliar with these new-fangles Iron Horses.

It's also why, until the 1990s, British trains didn't have headlamps like trains in America and virtually every other country - they only had dim marker lamps to (just about) indicate the presence of a train to other people (think the difference between a car's sidelights and the proper headlamps) because with a fully-fenced right of way protected by manned signal boxes at regular intervals (something not feasible in large parts of North America and elsewhere) they didn't need to see where they were going.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

sassassin posted:

The FAW is older than loads of "real" European "countries" so Spain can do one until they free Catalonia or whatever they have going on.
That's exactly why it'd push it to a head. Saying to the constituent nations of the UK "you can become independent, join the UN, and enter into the cup, or you can play in CONIFA with Catalonia (and Cornwall and Yorkshire)" would get people talking about the issue in an understandable way in a very short time, rather than giving some parts of the UK special status not afforded to other places based only on age of association.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Turns out I'm pos, sick.

Lots of love to government, especially if my overweight elderly at-risk parents got it from me.

Feeling great lads.

vvvv
okay could always be worse, condolences and everything

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Oct 14, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They've given my friend two weeks, maybe.

Christ I don't know what to do.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Dad’s funeral tomorrow after he unexpectedly passed a couple of weeks ago. We’re tier 2. We’ve been trying to plan how everything after the funeral will go with absolutely gently caress all luck. We literally can’t predict anything, and we also can’t work out how to turn a 30 person funeral into a 15 person wake in a bar that also allows separate households to sit together but not as part of the wake party. gently caress knows. gently caress this poo poo, gently caress this year.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Did any regular ITT have it yet or am I the first?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Jabby had it during the first wave, from working at a hospital.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Private Speech posted:

Jabby had it really early on, iirc.

Jakabite posted:

Dad’s funeral tomorrow after he unexpectedly passed a couple of weeks ago. We’re tier 2. We’ve been trying to plan how everything after the funeral will go with absolutely gently caress all luck. We literally can’t predict anything, and we also can’t work out how to turn a 30 person funeral into a 15 person wake in a bar that also allows separate households to sit together but not as part of the wake party. gently caress knows. gently caress this poo poo, gently caress this year.

OwlFancier posted:

They've given my friend two weeks, maybe.

Christ I don't know what to do.

Condolences to you both. I'm bad at this but I am genuinely thinking of you and hoping for the best.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Private Speech posted:

I had it March, if you want to count me as a regular, but managed to stay out of hospital and felt OK come summer.

Funnily enough, I went out in town the other week and got caught in the rain and I've felt out of breath since. I don't think it's Covid this time round, but clearly my lungs aren't as healed as I thought they were :(

Edit: Condolences to anyone who's got ill, hope you do well.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

jabby posted:

High support for independence actually helps the Tories. They aren't going to grant another referendum, but they can point to Labour and say "if those guys got in, they'd give Scotland a referendum and that's the end of the UK". The higher the support, the more plausible that argument becomes.

Yes, sorry, thought you were saying these measures were pointless because they won't work long term.

On Scottish Independence, they still have a legal route open to them, to go to court and claim that Scotland is still a nation in its own right and therefore can hold a referendum if it wants to. To oppose that, the UK government would have to argue that the act of Union essentially ended Scotland, and by extension Wales and England, being nations. That would be amusing.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

elbkaida posted:

They probably did it to stop people and animals running around on tracks, at least in more densely populated areas.

Maybe. You reminded me of working up Whitton Junction, where the tracks split there's a bit of a hill where a fox lives, I could always tell when a shift was nearly over because he'd come out and have a look at what we were doing.

Clarence posted:

That's more of a tram than a train, I think he meant train tracks that wouldn't mostly be in the road.

BalloonFish posted:

As the title of the linked video says, the line into Weymouth harbour was classified as a tramway since it ran on public highways without fencing. As such it had to comply with the BoT rules for tramways - either the locomotive had to have skirts covering the wheels and engine rods, cowcatchers at each end, lamps and warning bells (like an American train, basically) or (as in the case of Weymouth) ordinary equipment could be used but had to proceed at no more than 5mph (and technically follow all other rules of the road such as traffic lights, Give Way signs and pedestrian crossings!) and be accompanies by staff on the ground with red flags to clear the way and protect any traffic approaching the train.

The 'proper' railway was legally required to be fully fenced - with only a few exceptions in very remote bits of Scotland and Wales - virtually from Day 1. Partly it was to stop animals and livestock wandering onto the line and having a messy end to their existence, and partly on the part of the railway companies to protect their property and reduce their liability for any injuries caused to people unfamiliar with these new-fangles Iron Horses.

It's also why, until the 1990s, British trains didn't have headlamps like trains in America and virtually every other country - they only had dim marker lamps to (just about) indicate the presence of a train to other people (think the difference between a car's sidelights and the proper headlamps) because with a fully-fenced right of way protected by manned signal boxes at regular intervals (something not feasible in large parts of North America and elsewhere) they didn't need to see where they were going.

That makes more sense.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jedit posted:

Not really. It's only not a betrayal now because Labour betrayed the working class first.

Labour betrayed the working class loving decades ago mate, this isn't sudden.

It's a party full of true believers.

Guavanaut posted:

Wish that happened, would've saved a lot of misery not having a national team.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

elbkaida posted:

Back when I was still a rail person (15-20 years ago), if a fatality happened (and the knock on cost of literally £00000s switching hands between train operators / network rail), if it could be shown the person got on to the track via a platform (or other 'legitimate' means), the TOC would have to pay, but if through a broken or non-existent fence etc then NR would have to pay. We used to joke that if there was a fatality reps from NR and TOC would race to the scene and if TOC personnel got there first, check pockets for a ticket - proof TOC responsibility - and remove it (to shift blame to NR) and if NR got there first, check pockets for a ticket and if NOT found, put one in pocket to shift blame to TOC. Of course, this is mere 'urban myth' and probably never happened. Animals on the line also cause £00000s.

Suicides on the railways cause huge sums of money to be lost from the system. In Japan, the families of suicides on the rail are sent the bill. Imagine the outcry if that happened here! (hidden because some might find this info upsetting.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 14, 2020

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
These days, just for saying you're English etc.

https://twitter.com/BBCWalesNews/status/1316382625750282240

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

How will they know? Will people have to carry ID cards identifying their addresses?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For those who were getting the notifications on the NHS app that lead nowhere they've fixed it now and it actually tells you not to worry

I stopped counting after my 10th one of those but just got one a minute ago

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How will they know? Will people have to carry ID cards identifying their addresses?

Driving licence has home address on it so I guess they'll just ask for that.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Spot checks on if you know the first two lines of Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Skarsnik posted:

For those who were getting the notifications on the NHS app that lead nowhere they've fixed it now and it actually tells you not to worry

Wait wait... they fixed it by keeping the notifications but having them say DON'T WORRY at you? :stare: