Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Cat Face Joe posted:

These are all good ideas, thanks.

My situation here is I have a model that I plan to do in black and white so I'd like to add some depth to the base so it's not just a completely white blob it's standing on.

Maybe consider either having the white on the model be just off-white (like an incredibly light grey or a very bright ivory) or have your snow be patchy/falling on rocks (or logs or whatever) that are big enough to protrude through to give you some contrast? So like there is snow on the top of the rock, but the sides of the rock are too steep for the snow to lie on. Or depending on the model/pose maybe splatter some blood on the snow? I dont have a lot of experience with snowy bases (literally 8 models, ever) but I kind of feel that if you start bringing down the whiteness of the snow it wont read as snow any more unless you can do it incredibly subtly. I could easily be wrong though, as I say I'm hardly a snow base expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Cat Face Joe posted:

My situation here is I have a model that I plan to do in black and white so I'd like to add some depth to the base so it's not just a completely white blob it's standing on.

Yeah, I think your best bet would be to include some rocky outcropping and build up from blue to white - something like this:

If you do the rocks in grayscale it wouldn't even throw off the monochromatic look.

Also worth noting that depending on what snow material you're using, you can wet your brush and sorta feather the edges out to get a wet "slush" look like it's starting to melt at the very edges. Lets a little of whatever you put it on top of show through and adds some texture / tonal contrast. I know you can do it with Valhallan Blizzard, not sure about others but I imagine they're mostly the same stuff.

edit: some better pictures of those bases here: http://wappellious.blogspot.com/2013/09/chamber-of-secrets.html

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 13, 2020

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cat Face Joe posted:

Out of curiosity are you going to paint with black or mix various colors to achieve a look that reads as black? Marco explains better than I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXzfVO2Kdw

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Finished up an ice elemental, some Crysmals, and a gross little imp.

The Crysmals were printed in blue and green transparent resin. The three on the left are blue, the two on the right are green.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Der Shovel posted:

I'd be extremely interested in seeing how that turns out as you start to do contrasts on it. For whatever reason I've never been able to make contrasts work on anything larger, but I'm not ready to give up yet.

Late reply, but I did a whole process post about this guy in particular to show how I do it - here's a link to the post. (It also shows how contrasts make for a nice base for easy half-assed NMM.)

The end result, though, is this, after maybe 2 or 3 hours sustained painting time per mini.

Also, for "contrasts on larger models," here's Japanese wunderkind mini painter Senasuke using Contrasts to paint a Gundam of all things (in Japanese, but YouTube's auto-translate subtitles aren't terrible so you can get the basic idea):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExAZKKjF1as
Of particular interest is the technique she's worked out for mitigating pooling, which starts at the 8:35 mark.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
If you're glazing, using washes, or contrast paints to modulate large surfaces, you can mix gloss varnish into your paint mix. It will help a lot with pooling. Also if your underlayer is a gloss paint or if you take the time to hit it with gloss varnish the two comboed up will help even more.

Also this is the first time Vallejo has let me down:

Right paint is the one I expected, left paint is the one I got :(

Mistaken For Bacon
Apr 26, 2003

Squigs are such a joy to paint. Basing these boys was a nightmare and I lost some fingerprints in the process but I'm pretty happy with the progress. I need to dry brush the edge of the feet more to blend it in but I love this mini.

• What's the name of that glue that makes nice stringy slobber?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Some of my friends made models in hero forge, I want to print and paint them. Are there "secret tips" for painting pink? Like how pink makes a great under coat for yellow or yellow under gold metallic. All the pinks i've painted have been like, strong Kirby pink.

This was the first model volunteer and that shirt lands it right in a paint blind spot of mine.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I can't help you either way, but are you asking how to do a nice pastel pink like that shirt, or are you saying that's what you normally do but this time you want like a neon pink like those sun glasses?

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

The pastel pink of the shirt is what I don't know how to do. The strong purple / pink in the sunglasses is what I have done before.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Serenade posted:

Some of my friends made models in hero forge, I want to print and paint them. Are there "secret tips" for painting pink? Like how pink makes a great under coat for yellow or yellow under gold metallic. All the pinks i've painted have been like, strong Kirby pink.

This was the first model volunteer and that shirt lands it right in a paint blind spot of mine.

I don't think pink is really a color you need "tricks" for like red or yellow. Pink paints tend to work just fine, and you can just mix in some white for highlighting and red or magenta or purple for shading.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Finished a couple of "final boss" necromancers.

The plan is to let the party kill one in a mimic dungeon, then the other in a zombie dungeon, then to have some weird mimic attacks in town that lead them to killing the first one again, then after some quiet/other quests, to fight them both together (after they've put each other back together).

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Serenade posted:

The pastel pink of the shirt is what I don't know how to do. The strong purple / pink in the sunglasses is what I have done before.

If you're using GW colors, Fulgrim pink is pretty spot-on for that. If you want an even more desaturated pastel tone, you're gonna want to mix in a slightly green yellow - here's a mixing chart for reference - it's using oil paints but it will give you an idea of what I mean:

For highlighting, using white is going to give you a slightly chalky look - your best bet for smoother highlights is going towards a cream, edging into an almost slightly orange color, and it can be darker than you're probably thinking - a pale flesh tone can actually look really nice as a pink highlight, and your eye reads it as a brighter color even when they're very close in value.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Giant Ethicist posted:

Also, for "contrasts on larger models," here's Japanese wunderkind mini painter Senasuke using Contrasts to paint a Gundam of all things (in Japanese, but YouTube's auto-translate subtitles aren't terrible so you can get the basic idea):
Of particular interest is the technique she's worked out for mitigating pooling, which starts at the 8:35 mark.

Huh

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I have never considered drybrushing with contrast paint.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Giant Ethicist posted:

This is wild, I love it

e: lady proceeds to freehand panel lines on completely flat surfaces with no guidelines using only a brush

Eej fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 13, 2020

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Eej posted:

This is wild, I love it

e: lady proceeds to freehand panel lines on completely flat surfaces with no guidelines using only a brush

Senasuke is real good. Her channel is about 10% GW minis and 90% Gundams these days (Bandai's giving her a lot of money to make stuff on her channel, GW less so) but she has a real eye combined with a powerful "I'll paint however I want, gently caress conventional wisdom" energy. Here she is wet blending Contrasts right on the model, and when she paints with traditional acrylics she does stuff like this:

(She's on Twitter and Instagram, for the following-painters crowd.)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know if I like it, but that is very interesting

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
x-post from the hams thread

Eej posted:

Completed my first (half) unit of Necrons, I'm excited the skeles are back in town

I'm not sure which base looks best so I probably will just randomly do both rocky/sandy and cracked earth textures for variety

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Personally I like the middle and right bases

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
decided to get some age of sigmar hammer bros because I think they look cool and I wanted to try doing dark metal armor. I think they turned out pretty good

next I'll start learning how to do decent looking bases

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He mini's painting people! Do you want a miniatures painting gang tag? Check out this new stickied thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944018

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Leperflesh posted:

He mini's painting people! Do you want a miniatures painting gang tag? Check out this new stickied thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944018

Hell yeah, count me in whenever someone designs something. A 40k tag would be neat too.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I painted a lizardguy. First of many for a Seraphon army.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

NUMBER 1 FULCI FAN posted:

Hell yeah, count me in whenever someone designs something. A 40k tag would be neat too.

Someone come up with some ideas, I can sorta do animated gifs.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Painted some mans, and touched up some others (still missing a head, arm and backpack - conversions in the works that got mixed up during a move). Just waiting on basing material in the mail to finish em off

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

Someone come up with some ideas, I can sorta do animated gifs.

Something that says two thin coats and then a big splash of paint.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Finished some Lumineth Wardens, C&C welcome.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you're using GW colors, Fulgrim pink is pretty spot-on for that. If you want an even more desaturated pastel tone, you're gonna want to mix in a slightly green yellow - here's a mixing chart for reference - it's using oil paints but it will give you an idea of what I mean:

For highlighting, using white is going to give you a slightly chalky look - your best bet for smoother highlights is going towards a cream, edging into an almost slightly orange color, and it can be darker than you're probably thinking - a pale flesh tone can actually look really nice as a pink highlight, and your eye reads it as a brighter color even when they're very close in value.

This helped a bunch, thanks. Playing with the colors, quinacridone red + titanium white works for the "base coat", switching to unbleached titanium + less quinacridone red for the highlights

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!
Update on robo boi. My purple finally arrived:

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Mugaaz posted:

Those are some nice, silky looking duds.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I love that they look like they stepped out of WHFB but HD

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Over a Wraithbone undercoat he did Skeleton Horde, then layered the suit with Wraithbone pot version, then highlighted with Matt White from the Army Painter.

I wonder if this would work for all the white panels on my Horizon Zero Dawn robot miniatures...

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Not the best paintjob I've ever done, I'm really out of practice. But I love how much fun he's having.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

chin up everything sucks posted:

Not the best paintjob I've ever done, I'm really out of practice. But I love how much fun he's having.

If you want some CC: A wash would really help bring out the details! I'd use a brown wash on the bone/metals and a dark green wash on the skin.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

chin up everything sucks posted:

o poo poo waddup

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Mugaaz posted:

I gotta C&C for you :swoon:

GOODAMN :gizz:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mugaaz posted:

Fully aboard with your style here :) Ace work

What you did with the bases really ties everything together too

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mugaaz posted:

Yellow trim on elf skirts is a pretty masochistic choice, take it from me. They look great, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

humblewood miniatures are fantastic but i'm kinda pissed at whoever decided the rooster's staff should have 5 butterflies on it