Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

eschaton posted:

yes, because it makes it at least theoretically possible to extract the development-localization string templates from the source code without having to parse (if not implement the semantics of) the full language

I specifically meant from a "misuse of the operator" perspective, not i18n

but as eschaton said using raw c string formatting has its pitfalls for i18n as well

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Oct 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I give absolutely zero fucks if I see "copying 1 file(s)", "copying 1 file", or "copying 1 files".

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

You may not care, but the CEO will the next time (maybe next month?) he actually tried using the product

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Phobeste posted:

the second, that’s pretty much boosts hallmark. I don’t think it’s apparent from the code but iirc in addition to overloading operator() (call) it’s overloading operator, (statement separator) for some reason
an abomination upon the lorde

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Xarn posted:

I give absolutely zero fucks if I see "copying 1 file(s)", "copying 1 file", or "copying 1 files".

the extended version of which is "i give zero fucks if my software is user-hostile"

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

the extended version of which is "i give zero fucks if my software is user-hostile"

ah, I see you too have heard of the unix philosophy

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Xarn posted:

msdos user spotted

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
I am not a native English speaker and I prefer by a factor of one billion percent that the software I use is not localised.

I am still trying to figure out what improperly set bit in my environment makes GCC sometimes produce error messages partially in Danish (all the usual suspects are en_US.UTF-8, so I really have no idea).

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Athas posted:

I am not a native English speaker and I prefer by a factor of one billion percent that the software I use is not localised.

why?

(I'm a native english speaker but I've come across/can imagine reasons for such a strong preference. so I'm not completely ignorant, just curious!)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Athas posted:

I am still trying to figure out what improperly set bit in my environment makes GCC sometimes produce error messages partially in Danish (all the usual suspects are en_US.UTF-8, so I really have no idea).

error messages and open source are both cases where localization is very bad (in slightly different senses) yeah, but properly done localization for everyday stuff is for the vast majority of people good and cool

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Athas posted:

Good news! In my experience every localisation venture gets poo poo-canned as soon as the boss learns that it will cost more than an person-afternoon piping the code base through google translate.

Plunk. straight into the shitter next to all the accessibility proposals.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Athas posted:

lmao i hate that

also the locale env vars are a mess cause software will randomly use LC_ALL or LANG or whatever the gently caress with no rhyme or reason

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

pokeyman posted:

why?

(I'm a native english speaker but I've come across/can imagine reasons for such a strong preference. so I'm not completely ignorant, just curious!)

one reason: when you gotta google an unhelpful error message, you don’t want to have to start by trying to guess what the original English was before some volunteer dunning-krugered it into gibberish

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I prefer using sw with slightly broken grammar to "reticulating the splines" and similar poo poo.

I would also willingly trade-off broken grammar for accurate progress bars, or CRC checks, or proper impl of atomic replacements, or ...

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Also this

Athas posted:

Soricidus posted:

one reason: when you gotta google an unhelpful error message, you don’t want to have to start by trying to guess what the original English was before some volunteer dunning-krugered it into gibberish

Doing helpdesk by phone for my 80+ grandparents on their localized version of Windows is hell.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Soricidus posted:

yeah big time

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Xarn posted:

I prefer using sw with slightly broken grammar to "reticulating the splines" and similar poo poo.

I would also willingly trade-off broken grammar for accurate progress bars, or CRC checks, or proper impl of atomic replacements, or ...

well, i'll certainly trust that you'll put the time you save making comprehensive localisation impossible towards solving those entirely tractable goals.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
If you think that "write to a different file, then atomically rename it to the one you should replace" is intractable, we should continue the conversation here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3863535&perpage=40&pagenumber=529

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’d definitely rather have bad grammar than ever see another error message that begins “oops”

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Xarn posted:

accurate progress bars

no such thing

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Soricidus posted:

I’d definitely rather have bad grammar than ever see another error message that begins “oops”

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Athas posted:

okay but you can read and write english. preferring the original language when it's one you're fluent in is not exactly a hot take.

Xarn posted:

If you think that "write to a different file, then atomically rename it to the one you should replace" is intractable, we should continue the conversation here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3863535&perpage=40&pagenumber=529

that is significantly less atomic and foolproof than the posix manpages would lead you to believe. a naive "write new file, rename new file to old name" followed by a power failure can lead to the name pointing to the new file but none of the data you wrote being in that file. you need to actually wait for the data to be written to disk before the rename. you might think that you just need to call fsync() in between, but fsync() doesn't actually reliably report errors and fsync() reporting success could actually just mean that your write was discarded.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Soricidus posted:

got it changing errors to start with uwups

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ewps we did a fucky wucky in our code. aah! its just too hawd :(

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Xarn posted:

if you think it is tractable, then i recommend https://danluu.com/deconstruct-files/

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, I expected that someone will make me die on that hill as soon as I posted :v:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Speaking of annoying progress """bars""", I had to use Webex yesterday.

Apparently someone thought that "bringing in the chairs" is a good progress message for online teleconf. software.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Bloody posted:

if you think it is tractable, then i recommend https://danluu.com/deconstruct-files/

people who think their stuff works in these situations tend to not have spent much effort testing in these situations

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Volte posted:

by totally fine i mean it's still a perfectly localizable string. it's still a guillotinable offense to use the bitshift operator for that purpose.

but more than that, don't use any operator to feed parameters into a format string one at a time, not even a dedicated one

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
and while it's hard to write files in the perfect way, doing write-then-rename still solves most of your problems and there's no excuse for not doing at least that much

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
i used to think "oops" error messages were the worst, but i recently got one that started with "hmm..."

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
also i've said this a bunch but it makes me lol that all voice assistants are essentially CLIs but somehow even less usable. like if you gently caress up command line syntax or use the wrong flags or whatever you know immediately what you did wrong when the terminal dumps out a wall of text, but if you say something the wrong way to alexa you're forced to wait like 5 full seconds for her to say "oh dear i'm sorry" at best, or at worst she says "ok... i found the following results for 'something you definitely did not ask for'"

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Plorkyeran posted:

okay but you can read and write english. preferring the original language when it's one you're fluent in is not exactly a hot take.

I'm not self-centered enough to think my own preferences are The Only Way To Do Software, but most of the software I use day-to-day is command like stuff where localisation is completely pointless. There was never a time in my life where I wanted my native language in the command line, even when I was a literal childe. Glibc and the coreutils have a hilarious amount of code in them to support dubious localisation functionality that should be done at a way higher level.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

people who think their stuff works in these situations tend to not have spent much effort testing in these situations
people who think that computers work at all clearly have not spent much time using computers

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Athas posted:

I'm not self-centered enough to think my own preferences are The Only Way To Do Software, but most of the software I use day-to-day is command like stuff where localisation is completely pointless. There was never a time in my life where I wanted my native language in the command line, even when I was a literal childe. Glibc and the coreutils have a hilarious amount of code in them to support dubious localisation functionality that should be done at a way higher level.

okay, but again, you can read and write english. are you aware that there are people who use computers (and yes, even developer tools) who often have to resort to jamming poo poo into google translate?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

then they should go all the way and localize the c keywords and the stdlib

code:
hver (heltal i = 0; i < 10; i++) {
  skriv("penus");
}
there are zero danes who use gcc and dont speak english, that specific localization is pointless

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html#skills4

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tw: esr

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Localization is good. I just don't give a poo poo about proper pluralization and similar details.

But please, please, please, have your errors also emit a unique ID that people can google, so that they don't have to guess on what the original error message was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
ORA-12154