Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Thought I should spam this thread as well as the EV one. This is an amazing bit of kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

knox_harrington posted:

Thought I should spam this thread as well as the EV one. This is an amazing bit of kit.

Lake Zurich? Must be a blast to drive in Switzerland.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
And another one bites the dust. It does have the option code for the 3 spoke steering wheel, but I suppose that's beside the point now.

slidebite posted:

Option sticker on the frunk looks original. I think you can get repos made but it seems appropriate from the photo. Anyone ever try to remove one before? I just assumed you couldn't do it without destroying it.

As a side....

Willroc, I'm not looking to sell but if you're desperate my 996 Coupe is available, but it is Canadian spec and shipping/importing/all that BS would be 100% on you.

It's certainly not perfect, but it belongs in the Stuttgart museum compared to that.
I'm not really looking to deal with importing but thanks for the offer. Only desperate for a deal.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Seller is now interested at lowering the price possibly. Is there any reasonable price you guys would bite on this one for? I would be getting an inspection first at this point, though.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Pull an Ed Bolian and offer them $9k?

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

knox_harrington posted:

Saw a taycan turbo on the road the other day. Great looking vehicle.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Pull an Ed Bolian and offer them $9k?

Without seeing it, 12k sounds ballpark without being gently caress you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

DevCore posted:

my experience is that the swiss, while having great roads, have an almost Dutch approach to speed limits

my personal opinion on that 996 is that i don't touch stuff that's been in accidents where i don't have thorough documentation, but i've seen how shops do and it's mostly bad.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

my experience is that the swiss, while having great roads, have an almost Dutch approach to speed limits

Yeah it's dumb. I know back in the '90s when I was living there the major mountain highways would have an entrance/exit checkpoints and would give you a ticket if you made it to the exit in under the calculated travel/speed time.
Lots of my dads buddies had M5's and Porsches that would rip through the alps, pull over a mile before the exit and read a paper for 10 minutes for the required time to pass, then pull up to the exit gates.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Without seeing it, 12k sounds ballpark without being gently caress you.

Maybe. I'd want to see panel gap and suspension/alignment settings as well as tire wear. If the tub is hosed it's not worth enough to fix so it's a parts car. And that is not a $12k parts car.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well it does at least still have a clean title. It also passed a pre purchase inspection at a Porsche dealer in 2008, 7 years after the only accident on the car fax.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Well it does at least still have a clean title. It also passed a pre purchase inspection at a Porsche dealer in 2008, 7 years after the only accident on the car fax.

Why are you so determined to buy a turd?

Just buy one already. Stop agonizing. You act like you want advice, you withhold information (like that you knew it was hit), string it in later, post poo poo like this where you're like....trying to bargain with us? Just buy whatever the hell you want. This is getting really boring.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

DevCore posted:

Similar, it's Lake Geneva.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah to stereotype completely the Swiss are cautious but incompetent drivers, except in Valais where they are reckless but incompetent.

There is still fun to be had but in general I go way slower than I did back in the UK. A real plus is that they put a load of effort into maintaining roads so even the high passes are mostly in great condition.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Motronic posted:

Why are you so determined to buy a turd?

Just buy one already. Stop agonizing. You act like you want advice, you withhold information (like that you knew it was hit), string it in later, post poo poo like this where you're like....trying to bargain with us? Just buy whatever the hell you want. This is getting really boring.

I didn’t know it was hit until I ran the car fax hours after I saw it. I posted it as soon as I knew. My point with the inspection was that the tub was perhaps not hosed all that badly, which has been brought into the conversation, if it passed a PPI. I’m a total novice in this realm and I’m genuinely looking for the advice I get here, which is very helpful. Thanks to everyone who has posted.

That said, if my posts are getting tiresome I will stop making them.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I don't mind your posts, but I do agree you do seem to be considering these literal wrecks in waiting more than you should.

A 12 year old PPI might be of dubious quality and they may not have been looking for body damage as much as mechanical function.

willroc7 posted:

I'm not really looking to deal with importing but thanks for the offer. Only desperate for a deal.
I don't blame you, I have zero idea how that works. That said I'd sell you mine for the equiv of $16K US ($21K Canadian), but I have no idea of the importation process. If you don't, that's cool and I won't bring it up again.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

slidebite posted:

I don't mind your posts, but I do agree you do seem to be considering these literal wrecks in waiting more than you should.

A 12 year old PPI might be of dubious quality and they may not have been looking for body damage as much as mechanical function.

I don't blame you, I have zero idea how that works. That said I'd sell you mine for the equiv of $16K US ($21K Canadian), but I have no idea of the importation process. If you don't, that's cool and I won't bring it up again.

Pretty sure a car built in German for export to us Canada is super easy to federalize Does it have the us dot sticker I bet it does meaning it is the same a a us one.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

Your car looks lovely but I’m afraid shipping and other import costs would pretty much kill the deal for me. I’ll keep looking and waiting, maybe a real peach of a deal will pop up during the winter. Mind if I ask why you’re selling yours?

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

The next person to come see that car bought it, FWIW.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

willroc7 posted:

The next person to come see that car bought it, FWIW.

Plenty of people buy poo poo cars and many are even happy with their decisions because they get lucky enough and/or don't really understand the difference or care (i.e., they just want a porsche shaped thing that says porsche on it that other people see them driving)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Well, thanks for helping me dodge a bullet.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

Your car looks lovely but I’m afraid shipping and other import costs would pretty much kill the deal for me. I’ll keep looking and waiting, maybe a real peach of a deal will pop up during the winter. Mind if I ask why you’re selling yours?
No problem. I never bought it with the intention of having it for more than a couple years, and I'm now on year 3. I have a bike which I rarely ride and, tbh, always have my eyes open for another fun car. Maybe a TT, maybe in a year or so a new gen Vette... who knows.

I do like it, but it's just a car and I don't have any special attachment to it.

If I were to keep it I see myself potentially going down a rabbit hole in a few years of maybe rebuilding the engine (it runs fine and super strong, just noisy at cold starts) and putting in an IMS solution, who knows.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

slidebite posted:

No problem. I never bought it with the intention of having it for more than a couple years, and I'm now on year 3. I have a bike which I rarely ride and, tbh, always have my eyes open for another fun car. Maybe a TT, maybe in a year or so a new gen Vette... who knows.

I do like it, but it's just a car and I don't have any special attachment to it.

If I were to keep it I see myself potentially going down a rabbit hole in a few years of maybe rebuilding the engine (it runs fine and super strong, just noisy at cold starts) and putting in an IMS solution, who knows.

If you were closer I'd probably buy it. At least I have my parts-car Passat to keep me warm at night...

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
FWIW, importing a car from Canada (as long as it's identical to the one they sell in the US) is pretty painless. I flew up to Toronto in the morning, drove it across the border, picked up some Blanton's in the Duty Free Shop, and was home by the evening with a Boxster Spyder.

All that's involved is a bit of paperwork (+2.5% iirc) and getting Porsche to send the Canadian owner a letter that says the car is identical to the US cars and conforms to EPA/CARB emissions.

The only guff I got from the import guy at the border was when I said "cash" when he asked how I paid for the car. I then had to explain that no, I did not carry tens of thousands of dollars in to Canada that morning, and yeah, I did consider a check and cash to be the same thing in TYOOL 2019.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Now I have to scroll back and see what car slide bite has so I can bother him about it and drive it home through an ice storm on summer tires an illegal kph speedo

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I've been switching my car-buying focus to something electric, but there are a few ICE cars that still call to me. One of them is a 944 Turbo. My first turbo experience was taking a customer's car to the back lot... it was a Turbo S, which at the time was a limited run 944 Turbo with some extra power and special stuff... I remember the rose gold color and plaid interior were distinguishing traits. Anyway, that put a long-time love of turbo cars in me and I'd love to have a nice one...

But I just saw this, and I was wondering if 944 Turbos have ridden the same price inflation curve as other '80s collectables:

Is this a good price for a regular 944? What are Turbos bringing now?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

meatpimp posted:

I've been switching my car-buying focus to something electric, but there are a few ICE cars that still call to me. One of them is a 944 Turbo. My first turbo experience was taking a customer's car to the back lot... it was a Turbo S, which at the time was a limited run 944 Turbo with some extra power and special stuff... I remember the rose gold color and plaid interior were distinguishing traits. Anyway, that put a long-time love of turbo cars in me and I'd love to have a nice one...

But I just saw this, and I was wondering if 944 Turbos have ridden the same price inflation curve as other '80s collectables:

Is this a good price for a regular 944? What are Turbos bringing now?

I'd say that's not a good price since that's an early 944. 85.5 is the first of the ones with decent interiors. 86 is the first turbo and a bit of an oddball because it's the only turbo with "early offset" wheel spacing allowing the use of desirable wheels like Fuchs.

NA and turbo prices went up for a while, then down as first gen boxsters got cheap and available. Now prices are heading back up. I've seen decent non-S turbos in the price range of that listing.

If you haven't checked, you really should look at the interior of an early vs. late 944. The earlies are super leftover 70s bad.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/CyberpunkGame/status/1316783025896583169?s=20

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

There's no way a 2001 996 has a dual row IMS, right? Seller claims it's a July 2000 build date and 2 mechanics have "guessed" it's dual row. BS right?

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/mentor-2001-porsche-911/7217706061.html

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Macan is back from repair and they did an awesome job. Paint looks great, gaps are even, etc. Nice to have a good body shop within walking distance of my house, although obviously it's better not to need them ever.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I'm looking at buying a SUV for the family soon, and I'm considering a Porsche Macan as my first Porsche. One thing I haven't found though are safety ratings, as it appears that American orgs won't buy luxury cars just to crash them. Given we expect to have a small child soon, this is high on my list of important things to consider in the purchase. Curious if Porsche puts out their own evidence of safety, or if there's an alternate data source to the NHTSA that has some good info on Porsche crash ratings?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

IIHS is better than NHTSA IMO, but they don’t have any Porsche data either. You could try Euro NCAP, but I am not familiar with them beyond their existence.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/porsche/macan/7888

edit: also, these are for EU cars. I assume with regards to crash safety they are the same but perhaps not!

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 21, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

Macan is back from repair and they did an awesome job. Paint looks great, gaps are even, etc. Nice to have a good body shop within walking distance of my house, although obviously it's better not to need them ever.

being able to walk to the shop is so much more convenient than bumming a ride or trying to make my wife come get me.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

willroc7 posted:

There's no way a 2001 996 has a dual row IMS, right? Seller claims it's a July 2000 build date and 2 mechanics have "guessed" it's dual row. BS right?

https://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/d/mentor-2001-porsche-911/7217706061.html
Not that I'm an authority but iirc 1999 is almost 100% and it fell off rapidly for 2000 model year. I can't imagine any 2001 having it.... but who knows for sure. I defintely wouldn't bet that it would.

Flipside, if it's got 80K on it and it's original, I probably wouldn't be losing sleep over it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Toe Rag posted:

IIHS is better than NHTSA IMO, but they don’t have any Porsche data either. You could try Euro NCAP, but I am not familiar with them beyond their existence.

https://www.euroncap.com/en/results/porsche/macan/7888

edit: also, these are for EU cars. I assume with regards to crash safety they are the same but perhaps not!
The US and EU cars can absolutely be very different due to different regulations. That said I'm sure it's a very safe car and wouldn't think twice about that.

Also holy poo poo the Macan is 6 years old?!?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

being able to walk to the shop is so much more convenient than bumming a ride or trying to make my wife come get me.
It's incredible how much of a factor it is, to the point that it's one of the main reasons I do most of the work myself. Because gently caress bumming rides or *gasp* taking public transport from the shop, I'd just wrench myself if I can.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

willroc7 posted:

slidebite posted:

Not that I'm an authority but iirc 1999 is almost 100% and it fell off rapidly for 2000 model year. I can't imagine any 2001 having it.... but who knows for sure. I defintely wouldn't bet that it would.

Flipside, if it's got 80K on it and it's original, I probably wouldn't be losing sleep over it.

You could just budget $1-2K to have the LN Engineering retrofit put in regardless of whether it's a single or dual row (though the kits are different IIRC). With the cost of a used/rebuilt engine in the $10-20K range, it's not a bad idea for the peace of mind

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

The US and EU cars can absolutely be very different due to different regulations. That said I'm sure it's a very safe car and wouldn't think twice about that.

generally everyone is trying to world car it up front, especially for lower volume markets. unless there's a really compelling reason for cars to be different for different markets, they try to keep stuff as common as possible.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

got off on a technicality posted:

You could just budget $1-2K to have the LN Engineering retrofit put in regardless of whether it's a single or dual row (though the kits are different IIRC). With the cost of a used/rebuilt engine in the $10-20K range, it's not a bad idea for the peace of mind
It's a good negotiable item but I give minimal peace of mind to any rolling element ims bearing.

Those fail shockingly often too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

generally everyone is trying to world car it up front, especially for lower volume markets. unless there's a really compelling reason for cars to be different for different markets, they try to keep stuff as common as possible.

They do of course try to standardize but pretty recently I recall still seeing significant difference in weights and safety equipment in some models between US and EU versions. I don't remember the exact car though it wasn't Porsche probably. In any case yeah they're likely to be very similar if not identical.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

There are some differences but the core safety cage and airbags and stuff like that is going to be pretty much the same with maybe some minor adjustments between the EU and US. That's what makes the car safe.

Now when you get in to developing country stuff eeh yeah that's where it gets spicier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There are some differences but the core safety cage and airbags and stuff like that is going to be pretty much the same with maybe some minor adjustments between the EU and US. That's what makes the car safe.

Now when you get in to developing country stuff eeh yeah that's where it gets spicier.

I want one of those $999 electric cars.