Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

bull3964 posted:

I've already seen first hand my 4a beat a certain top end Samsung flagship in completing tasks. Not by a small margin either.

But I've been assured the Pixel 5 is DOA for having a midrange soc!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Man my Pixel 5 is getting delivered while I'm on vacation. Why is living in the first world sooooo haaaaard.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I don't think you are doing to get any sympathy from anyone here when the very idea of taking a vacation that involves travel away from your house is even beyond a first world luxury at this point.

I haven't even been inside a Target in 7 months.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Samsung has 3 years support now. S20 fe is great. Just do it.

Although lol at phones not getting bigger. Here's mine

Mine's bigger. :smug:

...albeit with a much more noticeable crease. At least long-term durability of the screen itself shouldn't be as big of an issue.

That said, what would it take to get more proper support to get the Awful app to span both screen? Having the app oriented like this is a bit pointless.

Frankly, I'd be interested in trying to implement it myself. My idea for layout would be forum and thread list on the left screen and thread view on the right screen. Basically a tablet view, I guess, but have the divider between the views be at the crease between the screens. Maybe have support for view two threads, one showing on each screen, though I don't know how feasible it would be to implement that.

And while I'm showing off, the skin doesn't quite match the magnesium alloy of a Surface but the skin and the bumper does give me more confidence with day to day handling.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I don't think you are doing to get any sympathy from anyone here when the very idea of taking a vacation that involves travel away from your house is even beyond a first world luxury at this point.

I haven't even been inside a Target in 7 months.

Varies by location, it's not a luxury at all here and we're travelling around BC as per normal.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Varies by location, it's not a luxury at all here and we're travelling around BC as per normal.

Yah, I still have to go to the store, doctor's appointments, etc. here in Omaha. Went to Target to get a flu shot + $5 just two days ago, went to the university to sell back a book yesterday.

I've also got a full face shield and mask combo...plus if you learn to treat every crowded store like a maze to get around stupid people standing and talking with poorly worn masks...it tends to be okay I guess? Granted, Prime helps with a lot of little things I'd rather not face the world for like juice or something. My Amazon usage has gone up by at least 90% since March.

Though since Nebraska is one of the states that's on the rise from COVID, I'll just stay home and play with the Pixel 5 that way. :v: No 5G or pets to fulfill the cat/dog tax but I started a garden so maybe I'll post plant pictures.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Interest in the Pixel 5 seems to be eclipsing that for the Pixel 4 devices. Anyone got thoughts on this? I think it's a return to basics, like better battery life, ultra wide camera, improved screen refresh rate, lower price point, all-screen design etc.

Probably just about it. I haven't bought a Google device since the Nexus 5, but I have ordered a Pixel 5. Partly because it came at a time I wanted to upgrade from my Hauwei P10 which is now 3 years old and partly because of the price point - which with the free headphones bundled in (UK purchase) makes it a pretty attractive deal as I was in the market for new headphones as well.

It looks to have everything I wanted from a phone, mainly a good camera, decent battery life & clean version of Android with some extra perks like wireless charging & IP rating that some of the similar priced phones don't have but are probably more useful to me than the top of the range Snapdragon.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 14, 2020

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Edward IV posted:

That said, what would it take to get more proper support to get the Awful app to span both screen? Having the app oriented like this is a bit pointless.

the whole point is you're supposed to have another app on the 2nd screen

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/stushep/status/1316435829179461632

Wouldn't this be the proximity sensor? I think one other person has also posted about this.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

ThermoPhysical posted:

Wouldn't this be the proximity sensor? I think one other person has also posted about this.

Well gently caress, that's not a good sign. I'll wait for other reports before canceling tho

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Your 7 day average case count in all of Canada is barely double what it is in just my state.

Basically, there's nowhere in the US where you should be conducting life even close to normal at this point despite a huge majority of people thinking this whole thing is over.

It's massively stressful (and a non-trivial hit on my sanity) when I'm planning months in advance what I should do to ensure I don't jeopardize my 70 year old parents safety around the holidays while I see others going about their normal routine as if nothing is happening (not directing that at anyone here exactly, just in general.)

I mean I get to remain cutoff from my friends as the weather makes it too cold to really get together outside just so I only feel slightly uneasy about spending the evening at my parents house for Thanksgiving. But hey, the NFL was able to have fans in the stands for the football game last sunday so I guess everything is ok.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Your 7 day average case count in all of Canada is barely double what it is in just my state.

Basically, there's nowhere in the US where you should be conducting life even close to normal at this point despite a huge majority of people thinking this whole thing is over.

Yeah, sounds brutal down there. My condolences :(

ThermoPhysical posted:

That's the proximity sensor. Same thing on other phones that use an under display one. It emits IR.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

I can do the same thing if I film my oneplus 8 pro or Samsung. IR shows up on cameras, not in person.

This is a complete non issue and I really doubt this is visible without a camera pointed at it, it's a troll post.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

I can do the same thing if I film my oneplus 8 pro or Samsung. IR shows up on cameras, not in person.

This is a complete non issue and I really doubt this is visible without a camera pointed at it, it's a troll post.

Apparently, it's showing up in person as well?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

bull3964 posted:

My rear end has been back in the office since Memorial Day when my region in New York state hit phase 1 reopening :stare:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

Do we have proof of that? Because in other under display proximity sensors it only shows up when filmed. It's IR.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

I quite simply do not believe it. This isn't something that I can see happens as a result of a defect. Under display proximity sensors are pretty commonplace at this point and the tech is well understood. IR is invisible to the naked eye and IR is the only thing that proximity sensors emit.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do we have proof of that? Because in other under display proximity sensors it only shows up when filmed. It's IR.

bull3964 posted:

I quite simply do not believe it. This isn't something that I can see happens as a result of a defect. Under display proximity sensors are pretty commonplace at this point and the tech is well understood. IR is invisible to the naked eye and IR is the only thing that proximity sensors emit.

One poster claims it is visible without a camera but it looks like it IS the proximity sensor...and that it is also visible to the naked eye?

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/08/26/psa-galaxy-note-10-proximity-sensor-not-dead-pixel/

This happened on the Galaxy Note 10 and still was visible there to without cameras. I know it's IR but that's kinda weird if you can still see it?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

One poster claims it is visible without a camera but it looks like it IS the proximity sensor...and that it is also visible to the naked eye?

https://www.droid-life.com/2019/08/26/psa-galaxy-note-10-proximity-sensor-not-dead-pixel/

This happened on the Galaxy Note 10 and still was visible there to without cameras. I know it's IR but that's kinda weird if you can still see it?

The pixel can appear to blink because it has to go off to let the proximity sensor do its thing. Then it comes back on again.

So, that's likely what they are seeing in person and it's 100% perfectly normal and not a defect.

Then they go and film it which means when it goes off, the IR shines through which is super bright. That exaggerates the effect and fuels the internet outrage machine.

Their phones are not defective, full stop. It's idiots being idiots.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

The pixel can appear to blink because it has to go off to let the proximity sensor do its thing. Then it comes back on again.

So, that's likely what they are seeing in person and it's 100% perfectly normal and not a defect.

Then they go and film it which means when it goes off, the IR shines through which is super bright. That exaggerates the effect and fuels the internet outrage machine.

Their phones are not defective, full stop. It's idiots being idiots.

Yeah, now it's gone from "concerning" to "this is interesting" for me cause I've never seen the proximity sensor on previous phones. What're the chances maybe Google changed it?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

Yeah, now it's gone from "concerning" to "this is interesting" for me cause I've never seen the proximity sensor on previous phones. What're the chances maybe Google changed it?

Almost non-existent e: oops forgot about the tiny bezels now, so possible!

sourdough fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 14, 2020

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Yeah I've got the same thing with the proximity sensor flashing. It's absolutely visible to the naked eye the same way it appears in that video above. A rapidly flashing green dot. It only appears during calls so who cares.

Edit:

It's as visible to my eyes as it is in this pic.

HelixFox fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 14, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

Up until now, google has had enough bezel to put them in. It's actually even in the bezel of my OP8P (just barely). The 4a has it in the bezel.

My guess is it had something to do with simplifying the design of the bezel surround since they didn't have to make a cutout for the speaker that made it easier to put it under the display.

Samsung doesn't really seem to employ the proximity sensor unless you are on a call, at least not that I can see whereas Pixels seem to light it up during the unlock process.

That tweet though plainly has the person on a call, so they are engineering a situation to feign outrage over.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

sourdough posted:

the whole point is you're supposed to have another app on the 2nd screen

I guess but I do think there is still some merit for spanning both screen. My aforementioned layout is basically a tablet layout but designed to work around the screen gap. One legitimately useful application is to be able to have a thread available on one screen while drafting a new post on the other screen.

As an aside, one issue with spanning with a horizontal split is not being able to view material being "covered" by the screen gap if there aren't enough posts in a page to scroll the page to bring the obscured material into view.

I mean I get that I'm probably going to be in the minority, it's not an app breaking issue, and I can just use it on a single screen but, assuming it's not an insurmountable amount of work, it would be a nice thing to have so that it looks less janky.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Edward IV posted:

One legitimately useful application is to be able to have a thread available on one screen while drafting a new post on the other screen.

I actually first thought that's what it was, with the floating button there, but yeah bit of a missed opportunity. I'd prefer that to tablet view, as I at least never care about having my bookmarkers or subforum visible when I'm reading a thread, but absolutely would like to be able to view multiple posts in a thread while writing a reply.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I feel like dual screens are just gonna be a temporary gimmick and won't be the future of smartphones in any way. That's my hot take for the day.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Edward IV posted:

Probably me getting (and using) one myself, so uh, good luck.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Sereri posted:

You don't want Jeffrey to buy you one so you can optimize the forums viewing experience??

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I'm not sure Microsoft takes avatar certificates

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Sereri posted:

Is there a way I can contribute code? I'm currently working towards a Masters in Computer Science and one of my classes is having us write an app. Our group has decided on an Android app so I need to start cutting my teeth on Android app development.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Edward IV posted:

Is there a way I can contribute code? I'm currently working towards a Masters in Computer Science and one of my classes is having us write an app. Our group has decided on an Android app so I need to start cutting my teeth on Android app development.

sure ;)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I gotta admit, while I love the fold 2, the weight is becoming more inconvenient as the weather gets nicer down under. Not really a shorts phone. Unless you like your shorts around for your ankles.

The pixel 5 on the other hand... :getin:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I feel like dual screens are just gonna be a temporary gimmick and won't be the future of smartphones in any way. That's my hot take for the day.

I think so too, but who knows. I don't care about using a tablet almost anywhere outside my home, and even smaller modern phones are big enough that video or other big screen content is good enough on them. I even much prefer watching videos more discretely on a smaller display when I'm out and about, just would rather not have people seeing whatever dumb poo poo I am watching from over my shoulder lol. The one time they feel too small is multiwindow stuff, but it's pretty rare to really need multitasking like that. Being able to copy text from the app switcher solved like more than half of the times I care about using multiwindows.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

One neat thing I noticed about the OP8T is due to the dual battery, it doesn't NEED warp charger to get decent rates. In fact, I think it's probably the fastest charging phone ever on USB-PD 2.0. You can get 27w of charging using a regular run of the mill USB-PD charger. I'm assuming that's 9v@3a. It can then charge each battery at 9v@1.5a (13.5w).

The 65w warp charger can also do USB-PD 45w charging. So, it's really a win win from a travel perspective with the phone. You can leave the fast charger at home and just travel with a USB-C PD 2.0 charger and get almost as good speeds as the last gen warp charge or you can travel with the 65w charger and get insane charging speeds and still be able to charge your laptop with the same charger.

I would love to see a future pixel adopt dual batteries so it could do 27w charging.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 14, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I wonder how much additional space and expense dual batteries costs, because frankly that's a brilliant solution to charging speeds.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is the future.

THE FUTURE

*futuristic whooshing noises*

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Dual screens maybe not, but phones that fold out into a single big screen seem like they're the natural evolution of smartphones, really. They unite the compact and easily portable nature of the average smartphone and the larger screen real estate of a tablet.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I'm holding an OG IPad Air 2 and a Pixel 2 xl as I type this. I like my iPad for reading comics and websites but I don't like iOS making it harder to get stuff onto the iPad.

There are no great tablet options out there for Android, so when UnfortunateSexFart and Edward IV post their foldable pics, my brain looks at these two things I'm holding and goes, "why can't these two things be one thing?"

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've never seen the use for a tablet until now, had a Pixel C briefly and returned it. But now I think maybe a regular sized phone and tablet is still a better combo than a foldable until they get the weight down.

If you never exercise with your phone the weight is OK though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I've never seen the use for a tablet until now, had a Pixel C briefly and returned it. But now I think maybe a regular sized phone and tablet is still a better combo than a foldable until they get the weight down.

If you never exercise with your phone the weight is OK though.

Yeah, I'd just rather have a normal phone + ipad for now. Cheaper, more durable, more convenient as a phone, better as a tablet.