Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I saw it on full-size IMAX 3D and

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

toplitzin posted:

Safer than a potato to the head.

:silent:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Luneshot posted:

In case you'd like a visualization of the number of satellites in orbit, try Stuff In Space.

And remember, that's only large, catalogued objects like rocket stages or defunct satellites. Even a pea-sized piece of debris is capable of crippling a satellite when it impacts at 17,000 miles per hour- or more, if you're going opposite directions.

To be fair though, there shouldn't be many counter (retrograde) rotating objects in space. There's a reason that almost everything is launched with the spin of the earth.

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 14, 2020

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Holy poo poo, I hope that's not gasoline.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Chocobo posted:

Holy poo poo, I hope that's not gasoline.

Dude just wants a super sized tiki torch, don't hate.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Those are rifling marks in the copper driving bands near the base of the shell, which means this shell was fired. Which likely means the fuze is armed.

... I'd choose a better place to sit. Further away. Much further away.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Based on the state of his uniform, I doubt he gives much of a poo poo about anything.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Collateral Damage posted:

Those are rifling marks in the copper driving bands near the base of the shell, which means this shell was fired. Which likely means the fuze is armed.

Gotta generate those likes and subscribes.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

"This is my safety, cap'n."

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

How the hell would a shell that's been fired look that pristine otherwise?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Gotta generate those likes and subscribes.

Yeah! drat those World War II influencers

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

It's a shitload of steel so it can survive the forces of being fired in the first place, idk it might work? It's a battleship shell and I mean we can probably rule out someone rowing it to the shore on a dinghy and dumping it there as a photo prop.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Eschatos posted:

You’d also think it would have disturbed the dirt a little more

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Yeah! drat those World War II influencers

Get your milhistory right dude, that’s clearly a vietnam war product shill.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eschatos posted:

It's made out of the indestructible black box stuff

That's why the explosion couldn't get out

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

BitBasher posted:

To be fair though, there shouldn't be many counter (retrograde) rotating objects in space. There's a reason that almost everything is launched with the spin of the earth.

Sun-synchronous orbits are slightly retrograde polar orbits, and are quite popular because you pass over the same place at the same time every day.

https://twitter.com/LeoLabs_Space/status/1316410784075972609

Luckily for us, this particular collision is between two satellites going almost the complete opposite direction. Clearly, they'll just hit each other, their momentum will cancel out, and all the debris will fall straight down!

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://i.imgur.com/KgyZxLk.mp4

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

large shells come with the driving bands pre rifled to reduce wear on the gun, big heavy rear end shells like that would quickly strip out the barrel if you used plain driving bands and had it cut in the grooves as you fired it. I'm a moron

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 15, 2020

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

coldpudding posted:

large shells come with the driving bands pre rifled to reduce wear on the gun, big heavy rear end shells like that would quickly strip out the barrel if you used plain driving bands and had it cut in the grooves as you fired it.

Not in any info I can find. The driving band was copper or something and those are very much rifling marks from the barrel. Also makes little sense as the whole point of the band is to help seal the combustion section to propel the round better.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Oct 15, 2020

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Dirk the Average posted:

the footing being pipes that could easily roll...
While not substantially better, those pipes are more 'X's like the one he's putting up, they're bound together in the middle so stacked side by side are not super likely to roll, though the possibility of them slipping unnerves me almost as bad as everything else in this vid.

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST

CommieGIR posted:

Not in any info I can find. The driving band was copper or something and those are very much rifling marks from the barrel. Also makes little sense as the whole point of the band is to help seal the combustion section to propel the round better.

never mind it must have been something specific to the local fort guns I helped make wooden shells for.
edit; makes you wonder how in the blue hell that shell wound up laying totally intact on the surface like that, like it must have skipped of the ground or water or something.

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 15, 2020

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

coldpudding posted:

large shells come with the driving bands pre rifled to reduce wear on the gun, big heavy rear end shells like that would quickly strip out the barrel if you used plain driving bands and had it cut in the grooves as you fired it.

From the Military History thread:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

According to my manual on American Explosive Ordnance, on AP rounds

"The body is of high-quality alloy steel, carefully forged and heat-treated, since it is the part which does the actual penetration. Between the forward bourrelet and the rotating band or rear bourrelet, the diameter of the body is slightly reduced in order to provide a general clearance from the bore of the gun. The bourrelet is the bearing surface of the projectile and rides the lands of the rifle. This bearing surface is usually about one-sixth caliber in width, and its surface is generally ground to a fine finish to reduce friction and minimize wear on the lands of the gun. With the major caliber projectiles, it has become standard practice to provide a rear bourrelet or bourrelets in addition to the forward bourrelet. Rear bourrelet or bourrelets will be just before and behind the rotating band, providing better support in the gun and during the moment of ejection at the muzzle.

The rotating band has three primary functions: to seal the bore, to position and center the rear end of the projectile, and to rotate the projectile. A secondary function is to hold the projectile in place during loading and elevating for firing. The rotating band is made of commercially pure copper, or of cupro-nickel alloy containing 2.5% nickel, or in some cases a gilding metal consisting of 90% copper, 10% zinc. As a general rule, rotating bands are about one-third caliber in width."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tubgoat posted:

While not substantially better, those pipes are more 'X's like the one he's putting up, they're bound together in the middle so stacked side by side are not super likely to roll, though the possibility of them slipping unnerves me almost as bad as everything else in this vid.
Scaffolding is erector sets for non skilled labor. They're a lot safer than they look because they are made to be built where the scaffolding isn't yet. Which still isn't very safe I guess but the only really scary ones are where they aren't harnessed right (which includes that one I guess)

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

coldpudding posted:

Sorry, man, you're wrong. That's either a 16" or 18" naval shell. Not shown: the hypothetical industrial machine shop between these guys in the magazine

lifting these smooth bois with extremely soft copper/nickel rings

To the breach via this process

E: quite beaten due to phone image posting >:(

Pissed Ape Sexist fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 15, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/zzgCHF2.gifv

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My friends and I used to have bottle rocket fights using snorkels as handguns.

We were smart enough to tuck the motor exhaust inside the pipe, though...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

To the breach via this process

E: quite beaten due to phone image posting >:(

Unless you're the British at Jutland, in which case, go ahead and leave those doors all open, keep some spare charges near the turret, preferably out of their casings so they leak a bit of gunpowder and cordite in a little cartoony trail down to the magazines, and store about 50% more shells and propellant than your magazines are really designed for.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Just ram some more bags of powder in there to make Reagan’s dick hard. What’s the worst that could happen?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

Just ram some more bags of powder in there to make Reagan’s dick hard. What’s the worst that could happen?

That Korean War-era propellant could have problems...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Boner Land? I told the GPS to route for Dixville!

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

Unless you're the British at Jutland, in which case, go ahead and leave those doors all open, keep some spare charges near the turret, preferably out of their casings so they leak a bit of gunpowder and cordite in a little cartoony trail down to the magazines, and store about 50% more shells and propellant than your magazines are really designed for.

Those poor dumbbastards. I toured the USS Massachusetts in Fall River, MA a few months back and the entire gun system was fascinating in terms of safety-forward thinking (which makes sense for an entirely analog, manual, and complex system operated by teenagers that don't want to be there). Airproof lockout doors to progressively isolate munitions between decks that the vertical powder and shell elevators traversed, no extra room for anything but exactly what needed to go in the specific single-serving cradle for whatever you were passing along, etc. I was fascinated by all the little forethought stuff most of all-- throughout the whole powder charge deck, there were big REMOVE AND CHECK ALL WATCHES/TOBACCO/BUTTONED UNIFORM ARTICLES/JEWELRY signs at every door, and every railing and corner that could possibly be bumped was rounded over and covered with soft polished brass overlays so nothing could possibly make a spark. I thought that was a cool touch.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Eschatos posted:

Didn’t even scratch the paint!

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why are they artificially inseminating bulls anyway?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pissed Ape Sexist posted:

lifting these smooth bois with extremely soft copper/nickel rings

poo poo the wear on the shell is really apparent next to the unfired rounds too. nice photos all

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/russbites/status/1316547894716047360

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I found this: https://worldwar2database.com/gallery/wwii1033

quote:

Using an unexploded 16 inch (406 millimeter) HC Mark 13 1,900 pound (862 kg) battleship naval shell for a resting place, Private First Class Raymond L. Hubert (October 17, 1924 - May 17, 1988) of Detroit, Michigan, attached to the 2nd Marine Division, 8th Marine Regiment, shakes sand from his boondockers. 8th Marines succeeded in reaching the sea in the vicinity of Tanapag Harbor at 1300 Hours on July 4. The regiment went into reserve the next day. A Browning Automatic Rifleman ("BAR Man"), Hubert was washing his feet in the surf when Staff Sergeant Andrew B. Knight (November 8, 1916 - March 25, 1959) of Washington, District of Columbia, asked Marines to pose for photos. Knight was a former Washington Post photographer. Hubert was putting his shoes on when the photo was taken; Knight asked him to "do something" so he sat on the dud shell. Hubert sat on the shell knowing full well it was armed and could explode any time. A buddy handed Hubert his M1 Garand rifle for the photo. This photo was circulated nationally during late July - early August 1944, appearing in the Washington Post, Bakersfield Californian and other newspapers. Hubert was a tool and die maker for the auto industry after the war. Knight, whose first wife was popular Big Band singer Evelyn Knight, returned to photography at the Washington Post and died of an esophageal hemorrhage at age 42 and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. This photo later was the basis for a mural at Camp Pendleton.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Flamboné :piss:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

The Bloop posted:

It's made out of the indestructible black box stuff

That's why the explosion couldn't get out

Hopefully they didn't miss the underside or else a highly directional blast could launch it vertically to a height of over 1000 feet.