Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

look fantastic. this is the style i am always trying to get my students to produce for showing off their products. i can do it in keyshot and maxwell but i haven't used the render engine you are using (cycles?) and tbh being able to get that quality for free is huge

can you share the blend file of it? and maybe like a high level summary of your process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

oh yeah i've used hdris and the sky texture, there are a couple in my balls thread. this was more of a studio-type render and

Sagebrush posted:

look fantastic. this is the style i am always trying to get my students to produce for showing off their products. i can do it in keyshot and maxwell but i haven't used the render engine you are using (cycles?) and tbh being able to get that quality for free is huge

can you share the blend file of it? and maybe like a high level summary of your process?

i was following a step-by-step tutorial, wasn't doing anything creative. sagebrush search for blender guru chair on youtube, i was just following along. i'm sure some of the stuff he talks about in the last segment about rendering would be of interest to you

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

cycles is quite nice though

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
those are excellent. your modelling puts me to shame

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

here's the blend file if you want to poke around at it https://mega.nz/folder/scdhwAhT#6dj83uXEfZmWxfXoV5Z35g

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:chanpop: thanks bruv I may enjoy it myself

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

if i have audio at a specific BPM and want to sync animations, is there a shortcut to getting keyframes in the right spots? I used a calculator

https://www.vjamm.com/support_av_bpm.php%3Flang=en.html

that says for 110bpm i need a keyframe every 13.636363636363637. Can I auto-generate a frame every 13.636363636363637 bpm? any ideas?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo mate idk, personally I'd see if I could change the fps to something that 110 divided into equally? you can set custom frame rates

i dunno how you're encoding the video tho

I always render to images and use ffmpeg

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

googling around says you can export audio and import that into curves. might be a good option. i can easily just bounce a click at the required bpm, but it's not very fancy.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good luck, let me know if you have success cos i’ve never done anything like that before

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Key > Add F Curve Monitor lets you do cyclic keyframes. That seems better than baking.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

lol yep

ultra photosensitivity warning on this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_rcq6mEJPU

it's not perfectly synced (barely at all) but this is probably the way to get rhythym in,

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol I want more

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

in time I want to do a full length clip for one of my music tracks but it’s hard to find time and ideas that I am capable of actually rendering that would be apt. I don’t want it to feel like 45s stretched to 3m+.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

oh and if I use a more sensible bpm it’s easier to sync. 90bpm comes out to 1b/16f rather than the weird decimal I got at 91bpm. cool

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
long term projects are worth it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

100%. just tricky getting the time to do so. rodtronics graphics are a bit of an inspo tbh

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

echi are there any plans for new rodtronic tshirts?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Roosevelt posted:

echi are there any plans for new rodtronic tshirts?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
literally got some flying to me as we speak for me to see how they turned out. australia has now started supplying which makes it way cheaper for me, i’ll have to work out tho how it works for end user, choosing different outlets will drastically affect price given exchange rates etc, depending where they live.

but yes. hopefully soon. my biggest issue is pricing, ultimately they may have to be more expensive than I feel comfortable with. but may have to suck it up and not act as a charity just to get my designs on the streets. I do not feel comfortable asking people to pay what seems like a lot of money to me for a tshirt that I designed. it feels wrong. 🤷‍♂️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
heartwarming that you ask tho. ex wife really treated rodtronics like a total waste of my life and time and embracing something creative even if simply for the sake of it has taken a bit of work. current gf been great for that. and starting to see organic growth on my instagram which is also quite interesting. I like to think rodtronics is more unique than say truly skill laden, there are many render people out there making amazing poo poo. a lot churn out loads of similar things, but I do hope that by kinda operating a little bit outsider art style, at the very least rodtronics is more unique that is normal. I hope. not good at trumpeting what I do perceive as my own good parts.

well why not posted:

100%. just tricky getting the time to do so. rodtronics graphics are a bit of an inspo tbh

yeah man I hear ya. and thanks, it means a lot. really. everyone’s positive comments do.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

there's a lot of cg artists out there sure, but there's a million of everything these days and i think rodtronics has it's own kinda niche and identity. anyone can follow tutorials but the jump to making something fresh and original feeling is the tricky part.

I always relate it to music and what people click with. Tom Delonge is a bad guitar player and singer but he found his niche and has had a huge career.

There's a million insane virtuoso guitarists but no one likes technical shredding - it is for losers - they like things that make them feel or think of something besides a sweaty guy doing scales in his lair for months at a time.

It's important to know your stuff, sure, but creativity and clarity of vision are more important by a thousand times. ✅

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

heartwarming that you ask tho. ex wife really treated rodtronics like a total waste of my life and time and embracing something creative even if simply for the sake of it has taken a bit of work. current gf been great for that. and starting to see organic growth on my instagram which is also quite interesting. I like to think rodtronics is more unique than say truly skill laden, there are many render people out there making amazing poo poo. a lot churn out loads of similar things, but I do hope that by kinda operating a little bit outsider art style, at the very least rodtronics is more unique that is normal. I hope. not good at trumpeting what I do perceive as my own good parts.

yeah man I hear ya. and thanks, it means a lot. really. everyone’s positive comments do.

sounds like you should divorce your ex wife, really...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

there's a lot of cg artists out there sure, but there's a million of everything these days and i think rodtronics has it's own kinda niche and identity. anyone can follow tutorials but the jump to making something fresh and original feeling is the tricky part.

I always relate it to music and what people click with. Tom Delonge is a bad guitar player and singer but he found his niche and has had a huge career.

There's a million insane virtuoso guitarists but no one likes technical shredding - it is for losers - they like things that make them feel or think of something besides a sweaty guy doing scales in his lair for months at a time.

It's important to know your stuff, sure, but creativity and clarity of vision are more important by a thousand times. ✅

thankyou for the encouragement man. hope to continue honing my niche/fetish

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

echinopsis posted:

literally got some flying to me as we speak for me to see how they turned out. australia has now started supplying which makes it way cheaper for me, i’ll have to work out tho how it works for end user, choosing different outlets will drastically affect price given exchange rates etc, depending where they live.

heck yeah this was just about the only thing stopping me from buying one. keep us posted when you figure it out.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/cetlKwG.mp4

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

hmm idk. I really wanted to see if a picture like this looked ok on shirt, or it would be washed out or all black etc. not convinced. when i did the rainbow shirt i actually vectorised the render in illustrator then exported as huge size so was generating a 5 specific colour image rather than a render with gradients etc. I think this confirms to me that gradients don’t really work 🤷‍♂️

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

i don't think it looks bad but it's hard to tell from the photo tbh

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/WT7lZC7.mp4

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

I love this

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

owns

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/HandyMessyHarvestmen.webm

bit lazy but might as well share it

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

sick i love the wireframe / roughness texture. is it the wireframe node + bump mapping?

another tempo sync test, this time no audio. Check the weird noise in the top right corner. Not sure what caused it, i'm sure i just need to jiggle some stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5yZfXKc_SQ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

well why not posted:

sick i love the wireframe / roughness texture. is it the wireframe node + bump mapping?

wireframe node yeah but between two principled shaders which both had the texture going to them, only one has metallic up at 1 and roughness 0 so it’s like polished metal bits.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo!!! did you model that?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the reflections on the metal parts of the handle is really good

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

echinopsis posted:

holy poo poo!!! did you model that?

yeah, it was good practice putting lots of holes in surfaces [silently hoping no one notices the lovely normals around the bottom]

Roosevelt posted:

the reflections on the metal parts of the handle is really good

that’s the great thing about physical based rendering, just give it a material with the right properties and the engine does all the work

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

wow just found the built in material library, lots of good examples of procedural materials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:monocle: