Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pastry of the Year posted:

It's hardly Current Events, but I've been following the old CMRO to finally read the mid-90s Spider-Man titles from the point at which I originally fell off. I don't think they're as bad as they're made out to be, but good grief are they ever frustrating sometimes.

This might not be what you're talking about but 90s Spider-Man is tough to read if you're doing the CMRO thing. Having to switch and cycle through four or five different titles makes every story disjointed, even if it is the only way to get the overall complete picture of what's happening to the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Minor spoilers for Immortal Hulk #38.

Maybe I'm reading too much into things but here's something I liked. It's about William Blake.
In the issue, the young Bruce Banner is reading Paradise Lost, not a version with Blake illustrations but still. He also talks to and deals with the original "Devil Hulk," a manifestation of his repressed anger and resentment (I guess, which to be honest always just felt like the regular Hulk) by Paul Jenkins I believe. The Devil Hulk used to look like this:

Before that a very similar character conceptually showed up in PAD's run in the early 90s, a manifestation of Bruce's fear and resentment of his abusive father:

Here's how the Devil Hulk looks in Incredible Hulk vol 2 #30:

Here's the biblical serpent in Eden from young Bruce's Paradise Lost:

Here he is when he finally appears in the flesh:

I saw that and immediately thought oh! The Ghost of a Flea!
The Ghost of a Flea is a painting by William Blake from around 1819, depicting a spirit Blake purportedly saw in a seance with John Varley, a spirit earily similar to one who he had seen in 1790.
Here he is:

Blake heard a lot of things from angels and spirits and for the most part as far as we can tell he believed them. One of those things was that fleas were inhabited by the spirits of dead men who had lived with a dangerous surplus of blood-lust and rage. He described the painting as depicting (I'm citing a 1910 review here)
"a monsterous creature whose bloodthirsty instinct was imprinted on every detail of its appearance, with 'burning eyes which long for moisture', and a 'face worthy of a murderer'."
Very Hulk-adjacent indeed-- especially when we consider the Devil Hulk's narrative frustration at being penned up, imprisoned, and diminished, with the Flea's purported rage at being shackled in a tiny little bloodsucking shape:
"'It was first intended,' said he (the flea) 'to make me as big as a bullock; but then when it was considered from my construction, so armed—and so powerful withal, that in proportion to my bulk, (mischievous as I now am) that I should have been a too mighty destroyer; it was determined to make me—no bigger than I am."
You may also recall the Ghost of a Flea from his brief appearance in From Hell, as Gull detaches from time and sees his true debased self reflected in the Flea's horrified self-regard in the hand-mirror.

This isn't Blake's first major appearance in this series and I hope it won't be his last. In a way, Blake's tricky, overstuffed, Romantic theology is not only a through-line for Ewing's Hulk but for the grammar of the comic book itself. I love Blake, he's my all-time favorite visual artist and in my top 5 poets. Immortal Hulk is so good.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lobok posted:

This might not be what you're talking about but 90s Spider-Man is tough to read if you're doing the CMRO thing. Having to switch and cycle through four or five different titles makes every story disjointed, even if it is the only way to get the overall complete picture of what's happening to the character.

Oh, yeah, it's a bumpy ride for sure and you sort of have to mentally sand down the edges that don't fit neatly, but apart from doing the admirably insane Marvel Chronology Project thing and slicing up each individual comic book into chronological panels and pages, it still works surprisingly... okay.

You can sort of tell when editorial was and was not paying attention.

How Wonderful! posted:

Minor spoilers for Immortal Hulk #38.

This is so, so neat. Thank you for catching this and writing it up! Immortal Hulk is one of those books that I let pile up for a few months and then re-read straight through again from the start.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
What's CMRO?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Chronological marvel reading order, I believe

Reading all of marvel in release day order starting at ff #1

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Pastry of the Year posted:

the admirably insane Marvel Chronology Project thing and slicing up each individual comic book into chronological panels and pages

Uhhh wtf

Skwirl posted:

What's CMRO?

Edit: beaten. How to read stuff in chronological order and/or publishing order. Basically a how-to for being a Marvel fan of any era.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lobok posted:

Uhhh wtf

Edit: beaten. How to read stuff in chronological order and/or publishing order. Basically a how-to for being a Marvel fan of any era.

That sounds like a really good way to stop being a Marvel fan.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

lol yeah, I mean you can read everything Marvel publishes/published each month but it's best for what Pastry of the Year is doing and going through specific character or team histories.

Speaking of, is there anyone here who reads all of Marvel's output each month? I assume you'd either be a Marvel employee or a comic book shop employee.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

nemesis_hub posted:

Having just read the new Amazing Spidey, I can tell you that Kindred is Harry Osborn. I wonder if there will be any further twists though.

I think it's quite likely at this point that given the repeated flashbacks to his death that he's actually the pre-OMD Harry, and the marriage will also be addressed as part of this. I mean, they're putting out a reprint of ASM Annual #21, for Pete's sake!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Nah it rules

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Lobok posted:

Uhhh wtf

Get in there and check it out.

I actually think this is neat as hell. I don't know if anyone will ever, practically speaking, use it as anything other than a rough guide to follow a character, but still.

Jordan7hm posted:

Nah it rules

Correct

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
CMRO is very much not chronological (e: at least the one I'm referring to, whichis the Complete Marvel Reading Order - https://cmro.travis-starnes.com/reading-order.php, different from the marvel chronology project), it's roughly publishing order with some lumping by storyline.

But there's some interesting partial reads through chronology. I like this blog for that: https://www.supermegamonkey.net/chronocomic/

I read through it as I do my own reading. I think generally he hits all the high points in the 60s / early to mid 70s, even if he doesn't rate the greats from that era as highly as I would.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 14, 2020

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Warhammer Comic is good. A Marneus Calgar origin story is a very safe way to start the comics, but it gets the vibe of the universe well

How clever of a writer is Keiron Gillem? The first issue sets up an extremely obvious and kinda dumb twist, but it's so obvious I'm wondering if it's a misdirection and the actual twist is going to be that there is no twist.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The Warhammer Comic is good. A Marneus Calgar origin story is a very safe way to start the comics, but it gets the vibe of the universe well

How clever of a writer is Keiron Gillem? The first issue sets up an extremely obvious and kinda dumb twist, but it's so obvious I'm wondering if it's a misdirection and the actual twist is going to be that there is no twist.

Kieron Gillen is one of the smartest writers to exist in comics in terms of set up and pay off. He wrote the Kid Loki Journey into Mystery run for gently caress's sake.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gripweed posted:

Care to spoil? It's going to be a few months before I actually get to read it, if it even is going to be allowed on the app.

On the CMRO topic, I tried really hard to do it with Uncanny but it feels like such a slog. I'm thinking I'll just find a summary site for the first 70 issues and skip to Claremont.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gripweed posted:

He's both very smart and a Warhammer fan and player so it'll be fine, one imagines.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I can’t imagine reading the first 50 issues of xmen in a row. They were bad until right as they got cancelled.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

He's both very smart and a Warhammer fan and player so it'll be fine, one imagines.

Skwirl posted:

Kieron Gillen is one of the smartest writers to exist in comics in terms of set up and pay off. He wrote the Kid Loki Journey into Mystery run for gently caress's sake.

Good, I hope you're right. It won't be a big deal if the dumb obvious twist happens, but it would be a little disappointing.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Care to spoil? It's going to be a few months before I actually get to read it, if it even is going to be allowed on the app.

The comic flashes back and forth between Marneus Calgar now as the Chapter Master of the Ultramarines, and in his childhood as the young scion of rich Ultramar nobility preparing to take the trial to become a Space Marine. As a child he's accompanied to the training by his two friends and his helot. Both his friends objected to bringing his helot, pointing out that its a waste of time, he's just a helot, but Marneus was like, "you never know, Space Marines can come from any walk of life". Marneus Calgar and his helot have the same skin tone and hair color and wouldn't look that different if not for their different styles of dress.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Kieron Gillen is a very smart and good writer but I totally get why some people are put off by him. I’ll hold my hand up and say the “story about a story” stuff got very old for me.

Oh and in addition Immortal Hulk continues to be the best book currently in print and the Age of Khonshu is over so now Aaron can get on to the next big, silly, fun thing on his plans. The last two or three have felt they’re over way, way too quickly for the size of them though.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I really liked the Black Panther/Moon Knight fight. Aaron’s Avengers feels very much like a light hearted JLA book. You even got Ghost Rider in the Firestorm/audience surrogate role

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Let me just say, Moon Phoenix looked super dope.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I really liked the Black Panther/Moon Knight fight. Aaron’s Avengers feels very much like a light hearted JLA book. You even got Ghost Rider in the Firestorm/audience surrogate role

It has had its ups and downs, but I really appreciate Aaron's dedication to throwing an endless barrage of characters and groups at the wall and seeing what sticks. It really makes Avengers feel like the tentpole Marvel comic in a way that it hasn't for quite some time.

radlum
May 13, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Good, I hope you're right. It won't be a big deal if the dumb obvious twist happens, but it would be a little disappointing.

The comic flashes back and forth between Marneus Calgar now as the Chapter Master of the Ultramarines, and in his childhood as the young scion of rich Ultramar nobility preparing to take the trial to become a Space Marine. As a child he's accompanied to the training by his two friends and his helot. Both his friends objected to bringing his helot, pointing out that its a waste of time, he's just a helot, but Marneus was like, "you never know, Space Marines can come from any walk of life". Marneus Calgar and his helot have the same skin tone and hair color and wouldn't look that different if not for their different styles of dress.

Does Calgar have a canon origin in the lore of the game or a Black Library book? I don't care much for Ultramarines, but that would be a neat twist. I liked the comic and the tone; the data pages went from kind of serious to over the top in a good way and I liked how the Mechanicus guys behaved.

ASM was mediocre; the twist didn't surprise me and I hope there's more to it, otherwise, it didn't deserve to be hidden for 49 issues.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Not any more, he had one back in the Rogue Trader days, but that was written out and changed a few times over since. I hope the story hook is a little more twisty than that, nice guy space marine that cares for the common man isn't exactly breaking new ground.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Oct 15, 2020

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

JordanKai posted:

It has had its ups and downs, but I really appreciate Aaron's dedication to throwing an endless barrage of characters and groups at the wall and seeing what sticks. It really makes Avengers feel like the tentpole Marvel comic in a way that it hasn't for quite some time.

Yeah the Avengers definitely feel like the Big Team that handle all the really epic bad poo poo under Aaron, which I really like.

I also appreciate that it doesn’t take itself too seriously so it can do the crazy things it does and I don’t get frustrated with it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

radlum posted:

Does Calgar have a canon origin in the lore of the game or a Black Library book? I don't care much for Ultramarines, but that would be a neat twist. I liked the comic and the tone; the data pages went from kind of serious to over the top in a good way and I liked how the Mechanicus guys behaved.

AFAIK Calgar doesn't have a canon origin story before this comic, but a Space Marine's origin doesn't matter that much. The amount of brain surgery and psycho conditioning they go through means that most of them don't remember their life before they were a Space Marine. The Space Marine selection process looks for a core of mental strength, and then strips away everything else around it and builds a Space Marine on top of it.

And Calgar having been born a lowly helot doesn't make him more impressive considering that most Space Marines start out as illiterate savages on Feral Worlds. I just read the novel about the Blood Angels' Chapter Master, Mephiston. He started out as part of a tribe of cancer-ridden wandering scrap dealers on the rad-blasted hellhole Baal Secundus. A helot in a palace in Ultramar has a far more pleasant life than 99% of other aspiring Space Marines.

That's why I think the twist would be dumb. It adds a rags to riches story that isn't impressive in the larger canon and also doesn't matter to the character in the modern day. It's adding a feel-good element purely for it's own sake, which is the opposite of the whole point of 40k.

But if it's a double reverse twist, setting up non-40k fans to expect that standard kind of story but then just not doing it, welcome to 40k buddy that kind of stuff doesn't happen, then its pretty clever.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
I'm thrilled that Captain Marvel is revisiting the world established in Captain Marvel: The End and building upon in. Especially with that speculation as to who the antagonist is. :black101: (The new characters look/seem cool too.)

Immortal Hulk also remains so, so good, and thanks How Wonderful! for that extra insight.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Gripweed posted:

That's why I think the twist would be dumb. It adds a rags to riches story that isn't impressive in the larger canon and also doesn't matter to the character in the modern day. It's adding a feel-good element purely for it's own sake, which is the opposite of the whole point of 40k.

But if it's a double reverse twist, setting up non-40k fans to expect that standard kind of story but then just not doing it, welcome to 40k buddy that kind of stuff doesn't happen, then its pretty clever.

To be fair to Gillen, he's on the shortlist of writers in the setting I'd trust to remember that space marines are meant to be the lesser of the evils.

Edit: Calgar's Rogue Trader era origin was both mundane and perfectly on brand for the era. A child survivor of a tyranid raid on his colony, revenge drove him to throw himself into training and eventually earn a place among the marines. A few early victories against the tyranids made him cocky and he over extended his squad, killing everyone under his command and leaving him so brutalized he needed bionic replacements for all his limbs and both his eyes.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Oct 16, 2020

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

nemesis_hub posted:

Having just read the new Amazing Spidey, I can tell you that Kindred is Harry Osborn. I wonder if there will be any further twists though.

The tombstone at the beginning with George Stacy threw me, and then it being revealed as Harry ended up being a nice surprise.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Jordan7hm posted:

I can’t imagine reading the first 50 issues of xmen in a row. They were bad until right as they got cancelled.

I got the X-Men box set just before the pandemic hit. I'm now making a years-long effort to read all of X-Men chronologically (I even got a Champions hardcover because that's what Iceman and Angel were up to after leaving the team) after having read the box set while in quarantine, and can verify that you are (mostly) correct (I liked the Neal Adams issues).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I think X-Men did get better right before it was originally cancelled but it stinks up until then. The one good thing about it is that I love when someone like Unus the Untouchable pops up in a modern book and they try to use the character well but some of that early stuff is just unsalvageable.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Red posted:

The tombstone at the beginning with George Stacy threw me, and then it being revealed as Harry ended up being a nice surprise.

Did those two people have any actual direct contact back in the day? Seems like he's just stirring up poo poo which doesn't really involve himself.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

cant cook creole bream posted:

Did those two people have any actual direct contact back in the day? Seems like he's just stirring up poo poo which doesn't really involve himself.

Harry actually was friends with Gwen from high school, before they even met Peter. I'm sure he knew Captain Stacy. And he probably knows how much Peter feels bad about the Stacys.

Speaking of Last Remains, Spencer's just done an interview about the reveal and what the latest storyline. I think it's the first he's done since the book started?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Hippo posted:

I got the X-Men box set just before the pandemic hit. I'm now making a years-long effort to read all of X-Men chronologically (I even got a Champions hardcover because that's what Iceman and Angel were up to after leaving the team) after having read the box set while in quarantine, and can verify that you are (mostly) correct (I liked the Neal Adams issues).

Yeah, I just googled what Steranko did and started there cuz I thought they started at the same time. The Adams issues at the end were good.

I also generally like the xmen appearances in their time away from having their own titles. Beast does some weird stuff.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Again, this Avengers arc had some fun parts but I just can't get over the overall story and character of Moon Knight going "Arrg I'm so smart! Seeing things so clearly! Definitely not crazy! Doing what has to be done! You losers just don't understand!......oh wait poo poo I guess I made a mistake here oopsie-doodle :(." It's practically Bendisian.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Harry actually was friends with Gwen from high school, before they even met Peter. I'm sure he knew Captain Stacy. And he probably knows how much Peter feels bad about the Stacys.

This.

Harry and Gwen went to STANDARD HIGH, and met Peter, Flash, etc. at ESU - see Amazing Spider-Man #31.

Kindred dredged up the Sin-Eater, who really hosed with Spidey emotionally, and had him go after Peter's worst enemy, so using the Stacys makes a ton of sense.

Even as the Goblin, Harry hired people to harass Peter.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Red posted:

This.

Harry and Gwen went to STANDARD HIGH, and met Peter, Flash, etc. at ESU - see Amazing Spider-Man #31.

Kindred dredged up the Sin-Eater, who really hosed with Spidey emotionally, and had him go after Peter's worst enemy, so using the Stacys makes a ton of sense.

Even as the Goblin, Harry hired people to harass Peter.

Also I've seen people point out Harry screwed with Peter with a messed-up 'family dinner' in Spectacular #189. Which was another DeMatteis story. So honestly, he's on-brand here.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also I've seen people point out Harry screwed with Peter with a messed-up 'family dinner' in Spectacular #189. Which was another DeMatteis story. So honestly, he's on-brand here.

I just looked it up and Yup, messed up "family" dinner, but the cover says it's "The final battle with the Green Goblin," then for whatever reason Marvel Unlimited is missing the next 9 issues then issue 200 opens with Green Goblin kidnapping Mary Jane. Like I'm sure everyone knew it wasn't the final battle especially since 189 ends with him getting arrested, not thrown to certain doom or anything, but they couldn't wait a full year?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Final order cutoff for Taskmaster #1 is tomorrow- if anyone is considering picking it up, I'd appreciate it if you'd let your store know to order it in. Pre-orders are a huge metric for publishers deciding what's doing well and what isn't, and I'm hoping the numbers on this series convince them to let me do another!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Was reading that History Of The Marvel Universe thing and the idea that a being as old as the universe would be at the end of time like "and then World War 2 happened, and America? Did great. It was very important. This was followed by two wars they did less great at, so they get a page total, and also they're combined into a wizard jungle conflict for some reason" is very funny