Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Pollyanna posted:

I heard the FDA is allowing companies to sell chicken with tumors in them. How bad is that for you? Is there a way to identify these tumors from sight in the supermarket and avoid that chicken?

Weeeeellllllll, that depends.

If the chicken had metastatic growth in the muscle tissue, I wouldn't personally want to eat it, but if it had a tumour in some other tissue, it's very very unlikely that you would be at risk. My understanding is that chickens with mets are condemned, and not processed for human consumption.

More concerning would be the underlying cause of the tumours: if it's caused by a virus, you're likely OK, because it's extraordinarily unlikely (so much so that I would say it's impossible if it weren't too certain a statement) that an avian oncovirus would affect a human. If it's because of chemical carcinogens, that's a different story. However, you're probably more likely to get cancer from eating too much meat than you are from eating meat that contains too much arsenic.

Caveat: I stopped being a practicing cancer biologist six years ago, and am a bit rusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Looks like BA video has its new team. Their "hello world" video is up:

https://youtu.be/r5lZB-ecGsw

:yikes:

No actual apology, just resetting and hoping everyone didn't actually care about making right the damage done to former staff. Clean slate, no harm no foul right guys??

Bonus points for performative Zoom calling when they have actual camera operators.

E: no beef with the new talent, I hope it goes well for them, though I know it'll never be the same viewership.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Oct 13, 2020

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

BrianBoitano posted:

Looks like BA video has its new team. Their "hello world" video is up:

https://youtu.be/r5lZB-ecGsw

:yikes:

No actual apology, just resetting and hoping everyone didn't actually care about making right the damage done to former staff. Clean slate, no harm no foul right guys??

Bonus points for performative Zoom caling when they have actual camera operators.

E: no beef with the new talent, I hope it goes well for them, though I know it'll never be the same viewership.

Feels incredibly weird and bad that they tapped sonia chopra to just slot right into priya krishna's job, considering they were both on ugly delicious together and vox/eater are tied up like mad with david chang and bon appetit by extension of virtue

Feels like they learned nothing and didn't even miss a beat, also feeling very very weird about Marcus Sammuelson's role

BUT, sohla seems way happier and is really killing it on her new show so this has ultimately been a win

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

What were the criticisms of the previous group? Felt too forced having the nonwhite chefs only making dishes in line with their ethnicity or was there abuse happening or?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Ratings will be down, and Conde Nast will say "see, dark skinned people don't get as many viewers" instead of considering that maybe the company's fuckups turned people off

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

VelociBacon posted:

What were the criticisms of the previous group? Felt too forced having the nonwhite chefs only making dishes in line with their ethnicity or was there abuse happening or?

Tokenism was part of it, yes, but unequal pay and race trends in "front page" promotion was the real issue. The EIC had a brownface photo surface, so that was the way to garner enough media attention that they could address the bigger issues.

The bulk of the talent did a mass resignation in August. The EIC resigned in shame, as did one higher-up, but to my knowledge they didn't apologize or acknowledge their biases in general. Perhaps to avoid admitting guilt and thus liability, but still. The above video is trying real hard to nod to people who know what's going on without acknowledging that BA had a systemic problem and they're sorry.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

For those of you who've enjoyed watching Doņa Ángela on De Me Casa a Tu Cocina, I give you Doņa Chabelita.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVX9NkNK0jU

Brilliant way of skinning the chicken feet. Regular use of hands in boiling or near-boiling water. SHE STIRS THE TOASTING CHILES ON THE COMAL BY HAND WTF. She's amazing.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
In other news, a bunch of Wasps have tested positive in advance of the final.

So that's going well

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

bartolimu posted:

For those of you who've enjoyed watching Doña Ángela on De Me Casa a Tu Cocina, I give you Doña Chabelita.

Brilliant way of skinning the chicken feet. Regular use of hands in boiling or near-boiling water. SHE STIRS THE TOASTING CHILES ON THE COMAL BY HAND WTF. She's amazing.

Just a couple minutes in, but quoting so I can find it easily later. I like what I've watched so far! Thanks!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

bartolimu posted:

For those of you who've enjoyed watching Doņa Ángela on De Me Casa a Tu Cocina, I give you Doņa Chabelita.

Neat! Did she only use the ancho seeds or did she use the guajillo seeds as well? (I don't speak spanish lol).

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Eeyo posted:

Neat! Did she only use the ancho seeds or did she use the guajillo seeds as well? (I don't speak spanish lol).

Yes. She said the guajillo seeds would make it too spicy.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Huh that's weird. I've gotten 2 bags of guajillos (from 2 different vendors) that are quite mild, and my bag of anchos are moderately spicy. Are guajillos usually supposed to be spicier?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Eeyo posted:

Huh that's weird. I've gotten 2 bags of guajillos (from 2 different vendors) that are quite mild, and my bag of anchos are moderately spicy. Are guajillos usually supposed to be spicier?

Chiles are crazy unpredictable, and crossbreed like nobody's business.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Guajillos are pretty low on the heat scale in my experience, but yeah, crossbreeding and local environmental factors can change that a lot. I also don't use seeds for most applications (because they can make things pretty bitter), so I wouldn't have known certain seeds add more spice than others. I'd expect most of the heat to be in the ribs and membranes, rather than in the actual seed.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
When you toast the seeds they get super nutty and tasty, and aren't crazy spicy

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
She says it will make the dish “more spicy,” not “too spicy,” so it could be just a controlling the heat level thing.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

bartolimu posted:

Guajillos are pretty low on the heat scale in my experience, but yeah, crossbreeding and local environmental factors can change that a lot. I also don't use seeds for most applications (because they can make things pretty bitter), so I wouldn't have known certain seeds add more spice than others. I'd expect most of the heat to be in the ribs and membranes, rather than in the actual seed.

That's interesting. I was told at some point in my life that the seeds of a chilli are the spiciest part, and I've always just accepted this. I didn't realise they could add bitterness as well.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
With the caveat that chiles are wildly unpredictable, I toasted some guajillo seeds less than a week ago and they tasted like roasted peanuts and weren't noticeably spicy

Hauki
May 11, 2010

pile of brown posted:

With the caveat that chiles are wildly unpredictable, I toasted some guajillo seeds less than a week ago and they tasted like roasted peanuts and weren't noticeably spicy

i think that's, like, half of what makes a good salsa macha

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Enfys posted:

That's interesting. I was told at some point in my life that the seeds of a chilli are the spiciest part, and I've always just accepted this. I didn't realise they could add bitterness as well.

I think the spiciest parts are the membranes around the seeds, but if you get rid of the seeds you get rid of those ribs.

Everyones Favorite Poster
Dec 6, 2017

:toot:
Howdy goons - I have an instant pot coming tomorrow and I'd like to try to cook up this relatively simple recipe I found on seriouseats to test it out:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html

My question is - is there a general rule of thumb for converting times in these regular pressure cooker recipes to the instant pot? Is it approximately the same? More? Or completely dependent on what you're making?

Thanks!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Everyones Favorite Poster posted:

Howdy goons - I have an instant pot coming tomorrow and I'd like to try to cook up this relatively simple recipe I found on seriouseats to test it out:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/05/colombian-chicken-stew-with-potatoes-tomato-onion-recipe.html

My question is - is there a general rule of thumb for converting times in these regular pressure cooker recipes to the instant pot? Is it approximately the same? More? Or completely dependent on what you're making?

Thanks!

Can't answer that but try this one sometime. I sautee onions first and thicken it after it's done but it holds up.

https://pinchofyum.com/instant-pot-coconut-tandoori-chicken

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Thanks!

The only conversion for an instant pot you need to make is know it can't do pressure canning.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I've got a bunch of leftover miso risotto that I've shaped into pucks and am about to dip in panko to fry up into some kind of Japanese arancini and was wondering if anyone had some good dipping sauce ideas.

EFP: No conversions needed that I've ever seen with SE recipes, but if you aren't already saving your veg and chicken scraps in a freezer bag for stock, its time to start doing that now that you have an IP.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Guildenstern Mother posted:

So I've got a bunch of leftover miso risotto that I've shaped into pucks and am about to dip in panko to fry up into some kind of Japanese arancini and was wondering if anyone had some good dipping sauce ideas.

EFP: No conversions needed that I've ever seen with SE recipes, but if you aren't already saving your veg and chicken scraps in a freezer bag for stock, its time to start doing that now that you have an IP.

Sriracha and kewpie would be good, or tempura sauce (soy sauce, mirin, bonito)

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Inspired by a couple of the other forums, I've thrown up a feedback thread for GWS here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3944730

Swing by if you've got opinions or suggestions, or something you want to get off your chest!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

xtal posted:

Sriracha and kewpie would be good, or tempura sauce (soy sauce, mirin, bonito)

That's pretty much what I did, and it was pretty tasty, but now I'm thinking something like tonkatsu sauce

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks!

An instant pot does have a slightly lower pressure than traditional stovetop models, so things like beans you definitely need to time differently. You should probably just follow the book/manual for timings beans. For example, soaked pintos take 6-9 minutes of pressure cooking (plus the natural pressure release, which adds like 15-30 minutes waiting time) for an instant pot. For an old-school pressure cooker it's more like 3-6 minutes (plus natural release).

But that's just beans, I don't eat meat so I don't have a good sense for if there's a large difference there. I suspect the size of the chicken will be a bigger factor than pressure difference anyway. Either way I'd guess the chicken will get cooked through, but you can make some notes to dial in the pressure cooker on subsequent dishes as you learn the ins and outs of your cooker.

Dec 6, 2017

Thanks for all the feedback folks! The instant pot came in today and I'll be testing it with that chicken stew recipe - if you don't hear back within 24 hours I've exploded the house.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

That's pretty much what I did, and it was pretty tasty, but now I'm thinking something like tonkatsu sauce

Yes, but also sesame oil with salt and cumin.

Also, HP sauce would be good.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Eeyo posted:

An instant pot does have a slightly lower pressure than traditional stovetop models, so things like beans you definitely need to time differently. You should probably just follow the book/manual for timings beans. For example, soaked pintos take 6-9 minutes of pressure cooking (plus the natural pressure release, which adds like 15-30 minutes waiting time) for an instant pot. For an old-school pressure cooker it's more like 3-6 minutes (plus natural release).

But that's just beans, I don't eat meat so I don't have a good sense for if there's a large difference there. I suspect the size of the chicken will be a bigger factor than pressure difference anyway. Either way I'd guess the chicken will get cooked through, but you can make some notes to dial in the pressure cooker on subsequent dishes as you learn the ins and outs of your cooker.

Yeah, there isn't a set metric; you just have to experiment until you find what you like, even if there's a "guide" to go by. The IP guide says to cook unsoaked pintos for about 33 minutes, but my family prefers them at 45 or so minutes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I have needs I didn't know I had until today.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/fajita-burger-ninfas-best-texas-chef-dream/

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yes, but also sesame oil with salt and cumin.

Also, HP sauce would be good.

ooooh HP sauce, good call.

So I'm an idiot and forgot to thaw this chuck steak. I know you can cook from frozen in the instant pot, and I've had it under cold running water for about an hour now so the outside is thawed at least. Should...should I still try and sear it first?

Dec 6, 2017

Thanks for all the feedback folks! The instant pot came in today and I'll be testing it with that chicken stew recipe - if you don't hear back within 24 hours I've exploded the house.

The stew turned out delicious! Let it sit on natural release for about 10 mins before hitting the quick release.

No explosions and definitely not too bad for my first attempt at butchering a chicken and pressure cookin something!

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I ended up drinking wine about it until the chuck roast problem resolved/thawed itself. A+ cooking technique, feel free to steal

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

HomerSimpsonDrooling.gif

I won't be going to Texas anytime soon, but I need this in my piehole

ZentraediElite
Oct 22, 2002

It's Instant/Crock pot season... anybody have any go to recipes for weeknights they're fond of? We usually resort to making chili but I'd like to expand our options.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

ZentraediElite posted:

It's Instant/Crock pot season... anybody have any go to recipes for weeknights they're fond of? We usually resort to making chili but I'd like to expand our options.

https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com has a lot of good ones. I like the chicken gnocchi.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

ZentraediElite posted:

29 Pressure Cooker Recipes for Quicker, Easier Dinners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/10/pressure-cooker-beef-stew-recipe.html I like this for a lot of reasons, but mostly because its a reliable time table for when to take out the flavor veg and put in the ones you're actually going to eat.

Any risotto.

Indian food, go out buy the spices once and be done with it, and be ready to throw together dinner with whatever happens be hanging around the house. Chickpeas? Potatoes? Spinach? Chicken? All are welcome. Maybe start with butter chicken the first time, very low initial investment as far as spices go if that's a concern

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/03/easy-pressure-cooker-pork-chile-verde-recipe.html Don't be tempted to add liquid to this, I put beer in the first time because I was a coward and scared of burn warnings.