Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

djfooboo posted:

If I disappear let the goons know that my wife killed me. Spirit Island, Pax Pamir, and Battlecon all arriving at once 😳
Tomorrow I’m receiving:
-Battlecon (big box)
-Too Many Bones Trove Storage Box (big box)
-Super Fantasy Brawl (a stupidly large box for no reason when everything would fit in something 1/3 the size)

I wish the deliveries had been spaced out at least a day, c’mon...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

LashLightning posted:

And her new partner. Turns out the wife is also into boardgames and the goon was murdered for entirely unrelated reasons.

That's 2020 for you.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

JazzFlight posted:

Tomorrow I’m receiving:
-Battlecon (big box)
-Too Many Bones Trove Storage Box (big box)
-Super Fantasy Brawl (a stupidly large box for no reason when everything would fit in something 1/3 the size)

I wish the deliveries had been spaced out at least a day, c’mon...

Who's the fulfillment house/mailing service for Battlecon? I haven't seen any tracking emails and nothing's shown up in FedEx so I'm wondering if it's just trickling my way...

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Memnaelar posted:

Who's the fulfillment house/mailing service for Battlecon? I haven't seen any tracking emails and nothing's shown up in FedEx so I'm wondering if it's just trickling my way...

Looks like Level 99 in-house. Or at least, that's who emailed me and I don't see another name on the tracking. (Just got my tracking info today.) I'm guessing yours just hasn't been hit yet.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, I was sweating not getting a L99 notice and then mine landed today. Patience!

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of dice, I'm unironically annoyed that the Tiny Epic Pirate special dice went from

To this bullshit

(Skull Dice left. Standard dice right)

They fixed it.

:hai:

A night and day difference. They look great!
The Crimson cubes now have a silver sheen to them which looks great.

Glad they listened to feedback. The old skull dice were just a straight up bait and switch.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You remember our venerable house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiBB3nBR-w

Launches on KS Oct 20th
I'm... interested in this potentially. The video game is hard as balls, so I'll be curious to watch some playtests.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

Infinitum posted:

You remember our venerable house...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiBB3nBR-w

Launches on KS Oct 20th
I'm... interested in this potentially. The video game is hard as balls, so I'll be curious to watch some playtests.

Briefly watched a playthrough video and it looks a bit old school mechanically- roll to hit, then roll for damage, then the enemy rolls to save. I'm actually really disappointed. If this was at all decent looking I'd have had practically no choice but to buy it, the computer game is just so drat good.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
As I said elsewhere, I am dubious because I've never seen any of this company's games discussed anywhere, let alone enthusiastically. And they've done 8 campaigns already. That's not a guarantee they're not doing anything interesting - certainly there are plenty of Kickstarters I've missed first time around and then found really compelling on a later foray - but after 8 separate games?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Anyone want to buy a TV on its side?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8LuO4llt-E

To be fair Arcade1Up actually know what they're doing, as they do arcade cabinet remakes, but.. it's just a TV on its side.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Infinitum posted:

Anyone want to buy a TV on its side?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8LuO4llt-E

To be fair Arcade1Up actually know what they're doing, as they do arcade cabinet remakes, but.. it's just a TV on its side.

My enthusiasm for this product dropped rapidly every time he said “classic board games” and then showed dumpster trash like monopoly or the game of life.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

OrthoTrot posted:

Briefly watched a playthrough video and it looks a bit old school mechanically- roll to hit, then roll for damage, then the enemy rolls to save. I'm actually really disappointed. If this was at all decent looking I'd have had practically no choice but to buy it, the computer game is just so drat good.

Mythic has never been a great rules company, from the little I've seen of their output. I'll watch the campaign and a few gameplay videos but it's a longshot that a DD boardgame would bring anything to the, um, table that the PC version doesn't do better.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

If you’re interested in a similar concept board game to darkest dungeon, without the sanity stuff, check out Isaac Childres’ most famous game design, Forge War.

Players compete for resources to outfit a crew of adventurers to send them on quests for stuff, points, and experience. It’s good.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

ketchup vs catsup posted:

If you’re interested in a similar concept board game to darkest dungeon, without the sanity stuff, check out Isaac Childres’ most famous game design, Forge War.

Players compete for resources to outfit a crew of adventurers to send them on quests for stuff, points, and experience. It’s good.

I think Forge War is a fun design with some neat stuff happening in it, but it has the personality of a ramen noodle.

The biggest appeal of Darkest Dungeon, for me, is that it's dripping with theme and personality even if the mechanics are pretty wonky and, um, maybe not good. Forge War is the opposite of that.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I’m just glad more people are playing isaac’s games. He hasn’t done anything of note yet but I expect good things from him

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I like Forge War a lot but I wouldn't put it in a category with Darkest Dungeon. There's isn't really any combat, it's just whether you can give the adventurers the right equipment to clear a quest. I do think it is a really neat and bizarre game in that it's like three separate minigames of area control, worker placement, and resource management in one.

But, yeah, I don't know why I would want a Darkest Dungeon board game, the video game itself is already pretty board-gamey. This just feels like I'd be playing the video game except I have to do all the drat recordkeeping in a Kingdom: Death Monster kind of way. But I'm judging without seeing the campaign. Maybe it'll bring something different to the table.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

What it brings to the table is miniatures.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

moths posted:

What it brings to the table is miniatures.

Also, it's on a table.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/484998492/mortasheen-a-weird-monstrous-pen-and-paper-rpg-world/description

So! Jonathan Wojcik, aka Bogleech, a guy who makes cool articles about monsters and bugs, has finally put out the kickstarter for the RPG that he's had in the backburner for literal decades, possibly a decade: Mortasheen. It's a post-apocalyptic game where you play a mad scientist growing his own monsters, kind of like Pokemon by way of Resident Evil but with a campy, upbeat tone.

I am going to be straight with you: I've been a fan of this setting since I first heard of it, and I backed this on that merit alone. But I've been hesitant to post about it here, since there's barely any information at all on the mechanics. Before the last update, we just knew that someone who wasn't Bogleech was working on the mechanics side of things and that it was an original system.

After some prodding on my part, I got an important bit of info:

quote:

As I've always been transparent about, I don't have any involvement in the mechanics myself; besides the fact that they developed certain play concepts especially to convey the kind of world I set up.

A reason why I can't tell people it's "done" however is that, while it may well be playable, and they're confident in it, they still want to give you guys opportunity to give feedback with enough time for that feedback to matter. Some teams make the mistake of finalizing a system behind the scenes and going straight to print, positive they've made something that's intuitive to learn and fun to play, only to find out that a disappointing number of players find parts of it more obtuse or tedious than expected. So, this is a team that won't call something totally done without giving the fans a say in that.

This resolved a lot of my doubts regarding this kickstarter: if they're going to ask, and get, feedback, then the system is prrrrobably not going to be a fossilized heartbreaker whose quirks the creators know from front to back because they've been playtesting it for fifteen years, but completely blindside the newbies.

Also there's a monster that's just a skull with a bunch of eyestalks coming out of it, and it's one of the most straightforward ones.

It's called Eyedra.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The doubts have cropped up again. I don't know if this will be good. I really hope it is. But why aren't they showing the rules, then?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
In other Kickstarter news, Unbound is getting a reprint. It's the first 'big' game from Rowan, Rook, and Decard -- the people who made Spire -- and I've been saying for years that it's criminally underrated.

If you backed the first Kickstarter for Unbound, which was many years ago, there's not really anything for you here (and you'll get the updated pdf for free when it releases) but if you haven't I strongly recommend taking a look at this game. It's got tactical combat, a card-driven system which works phenomenally well for both action and storytelling, and a bunch of tables in the back for making up what sort of game you want to play.

I'll be honest, it could use a little more guidance when it comes to making up your own setting and enemies, but overall it's a great piece of design.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh hey, a Stargate SG1 RPG!

Oh. It's 5e OGL.

And the rules sample has zero chargen info in it. I assume that's a bad sign.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Echophonic posted:

Oh hey, a Stargate SG1 RPG!

Oh. It's 5e OGL.

And the rules sample has zero chargen info in it. I assume that's a bad sign.

Yeah, a handful of licensed properties were announced recently for…some reason. Including a My Little Pony one, despite a much more appropriate bespoke game already existing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

Yeah, a handful of licensed properties were announced recently for…some reason. Including a My Little Pony one, despite a much more appropriate bespoke game already existing.

Apparently someone at Hasbro finally realized in the past few years how useful D&D would be for ~vertical integration~ so funneling MLP to it tracks

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

My main concern with the darkest dungeon board game is that it's probably going to be extremely expensive to get everything and I loved the pc version so I will want all the miniatures

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

Including a My Little Pony one, despite a much more appropriate bespoke game already existing.

Gamma World? :thunk:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Infinitum posted:

My Little Mutant: Radiation is Magic

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I assume the real answer is Tails of Equestria, though that series seemed to be handled hamhandedly by River Horse or whoever was in charge of it because after a while the distributors for North America just stopped having it on their website while the European distributors were still releasing stuff. I don't know what really happened but whoever they got to handle this stuff was definitely not managing it well and there were plenty of times when they had announced new content that was ready to be sent to stores and then it would just disappear entirely from their website.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I'm currently backing Veiled Fate.

It's the followup to the game Moonrakers, which a friend of mine backed and our group has enjoyed quite a bit(we're all teachers who are working over zoom these days, so we made a pact to not see other people). But I'm having trouble convincing myself that Veiled Fate is worth the bucks. There's a lot less in the box than Moonrakers, and you can talk about premium components all you want, but I'm looking at a hundred dollars with shipping, and that's the version with standees instead of minis. And without some of the cards...

So I might jump ship for CRASH OCTOPUS, because it's cheaper, and absolutely charming, and deluxe components in a flicking game means weird shapes, which they totally have. They seem to have thought of all the things they could do with this silly little dex game.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Veiled Fate has had the heaviest marketing for a Kickstarter I've ever come across. It's been months of ads and videos.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Mojo Jojo posted:

Veiled Fate has had the heaviest marketing for a Kickstarter I've ever come across. It's been months of ads and videos.

I admit that I just glanced over the KS page, but my first question, thus far unanswered, is if I only care about my demigod having the most VP at the end, why would I waste an action to help a different demigod, except to throw the other players off the scent of figuring out who I care about?

why do I care that other players don't know who I am focused on?

I like the whole "the players are the ones behind the scenes influencing the on-board factions/characters/whatevers to achieve their goals" thing that more games (war of whispers, 18XX of course, etc) are doing but the secrecy doesn't make sense to me.

Again, just glanced at the KS page, I could have missed a major game element

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

It's entirely to throw other players off the scent, because you all essentially vote on what happens.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The group votes on what happens. If you give away the game they can completely ruin any chance you have, sending you to the abyss, putting you on spots with negative renown.

To just further your interest blatantly would be akin to trying to win Secret Hitler by showing everyone that you’re Hitler.

It’s pricey for what it is but the quality of Moonrakers was so fantastic that I’m willing to pay it. The playthroughs I’ve watched for Veiled Fate were all pretty fun, too.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

Yeah it's real pretty, but not something I can justify. Just seems aggressively overproduced.

I'll stick with the Octopus, since they're not hiding content behind the upgrades.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
For those niche folks who aren't completely turned away by the words 3D printable 40K imperial guard army then you're welcome.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/40emperor/azadi-death-front

Oddly it's an army of women but nary a crop top in sight. How peculiar. Still, move with the times I suppose!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Apparently someone at Hasbro finally realized in the past few years how useful D&D would be for ~vertical integration~ so funneling MLP to it tracks

There were already extensive and apparently well-selling off-brand MLP conversions for Pathfinder. Hasbro is probably, as usual, cashing in five years past the point there was demand.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Hello, time for me to self-promote!

I've just launched The Map is not The Territory which is a collection of dungeon adventures, essays, and mini-games all based off a single map. It's a bit of a weird project and I'm filled with anxiety that it's going to crash and burn, so if you've got some spare cash... why not give it to me so I can pay two dozen authors to write fancy stuff?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/HardWiredIsland/status/1317842459980754946

Freyja and Ettin going in hard

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Jihad Joe posted:

For those niche folks who aren't completely turned away by the words 3D printable 40K imperial guard army then you're welcome.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/40emperor/azadi-death-front

Oddly it's an army of women but nary a crop top in sight. How peculiar. Still, move with the times I suppose!

I love everything about these, except how large the weapons are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

For Sale, a classic auction game from 1995, is taking preorders for a new version up on kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/eaglegryphon/for-sale-autorama-and-for-sale-advisors-expansion