Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Yeah when I say spreadsheets, I really mean grocery lists, to do lists, monthly budget for personal finance and poo poo, not developing a new financial model to lease 737s to Amazon for black friday

We are heavy users of Google sheets for shared task lists etc

Sounds like upgrading from a macbook to an iPad pro is pretty critical here haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I have to make some “user manuals” for stuff at work and that includes a number of screenshots. The screenshot tool on the iPad is decent but fairly minimal. Are there better apps for this kind of stuff?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Xabi posted:

I have to make some “user manuals” for stuff at work and that includes a number of screenshots. The screenshot tool on the iPad is decent but fairly minimal. Are there better apps for this kind of stuff?

Procreate is the gold standard on iPad. It’s entirely developed for iPad so it fully takes advantage of all iPad features and is heavily optimized for it. It’s pretty cheap too. I think :10bux:. There’s also Affinity, and of course Photoshop.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

Procreate is the gold standard on iPad. It’s entirely developed for iPad so it fully takes advantage of all iPad features and is heavily optimized for it. It’s pretty cheap too. I think :10bux:. There’s also Affinity, and of course Photoshop.

I thought Procreate was more of an illustration/painting/drawing app.

I can vouch for Affinity as a full featured Photoshop replacement.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
All of the affinity apps are great and worth buying imo

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

mediaphage posted:

All of the affinity apps are great and worth buying imo

:yeah:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Xabi posted:

For taking iPad screenshots? I’m not sure there’s any option, outside of doing something like capturing the screen on a connected Mac.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

There's always the old method of just collecting a bunch of screenshots and editing them in whatever app later

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Depending on what you need if you have the pencil you can always just drag the tip in from the lower right corner to have a screenshot/editor as well.

Edit: I might have misunderstood this, I thought the pencil interface was different from the regular power+volume one, but it doesn’t look like it.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Vegastar posted:

Depending on what you need if you have the pencil you can always just drag the tip in from the lower right corner to have a screenshot/editor as well.

Oh and depending what you want you could potentially make a Shortcut thing to automate part of your process and add it to the share menu.

(Hell for all I know maybe you could automate it based on the screenshot/new saved image action itself)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I was under the impression that the OP needed an app to manipulate the screenshots with text and annotations and layers etc, like Photoshop, not actually taking screenshots itself?

E: I’m still looking for a way to play a YouTube* video and have the entire screen disabled to touch controls. It’s for my cat. She loves these 10-hour videos on YouTube with birds flying in and out and gets really into it, chattering at the screen and pouncing on it time to time. Every time she tries to touch it she brings up the HUD and ends up closing or minimizing the video. The guided access mode puts a white cloud over the parts that are disabled which is the entire screen since the HUD comes up anywhere that can be tapped.

*If I can easily download the videos then it can be through some other app as well, not necessarily YouTube.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 13, 2020

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

If I want to review PDF documents that I need to checkmark and ultimately sign/date, the new iPad Air should be sufficient for that I assume?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

SourKraut posted:

If I want to review PDF documents that I need to checkmark and ultimately sign/date, the new iPad Air should be sufficient for that I assume?

More than sufficient.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

So the iPad Air 4 is just never going on sale???

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

gret posted:

So the iPad Air 4 is just never going on sale???

You mean the one that isn't in stores yet and still says "Available in October"? I don't see why they'd discount it before it releases.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

On sale, as actually available to purchase.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Boris Galerkin posted:

I have Procreate installed but I hadn’t even considered it for this job because I thought “it is an app for drawing”. It is, but it is also perfect for what I’m looking for. Thank you!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I was under the impression that the OP needed an app to manipulate the screenshots with text and annotations and layers etc, like Photoshop, not actually taking screenshots itself?
Correct!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I have an iPad Air - gen 3. Barely ever used it and it's less than a year old. I was just typing on it today (Logi case) and the screen went black. I could turn it back on every few tries but it'd immediately go black. Then nothing at all (resets, hardware resets, etc all failed). I do notice that when it goes black the power button sets off a camera shutter sound.

There is a few times it's come back on for about 10 seconds and at the top of the iPad there's definitely some glitching/static-y lines about maybe a few lines tall. Then it goes black again.

I'm guessing ... hardware failure?

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 13, 2020

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

BonoMan posted:

If you arent somewhere with good consumer law ; or if youre in the US pm me i have a guy who can likely help you out if Apple isn’t fixing it for free

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BonoMan posted:

I have an iPad Air - gen 3. Barely ever used it and it's less than a year old.

That ought to be a warranty replacement via apple. Might be a bad battery connection? Who knows. It's safe to assume any data on your iPad that's not backed up is now gone forever

If you bought your apple product with a credit card there's a small chance that it covers your electronics beyond apples 1 year warranty

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Same thing happened to my Pro 10.5 a few weeks ago, which is the same body as the iPad Air 3. It didn’t erase my data though, it just wouldn’t stay on for more than a few seconds, and had vertical lines pulsing in from the home button upwards before shutting off

It was 3 years old so I figured I was hosed, was I wrong?

16-bit RDRAM
May 31, 2020

by angerbeet
This happened to my 10.5 pro, take videos of it freaking out if you can

Apple tech tried booting it, i showed him the video, and he immediately said "yeeeeah let's get you a new one"

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Is Apple Notes not meant for serious note-taking using the Pencil? I shifted from Notability to it recently for convenience and it seems buggy - specifically, it'll garble my note-taking occasionally forcing me to leave the note and return to it.

Anyone else noticed it?

Should I just shift back to Notability? And if so, is there an easy way to export my notes to it?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Thanks for the responses. I'll take some videos and take it into the Apple store

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

shrike82 posted:

Is Apple Notes not meant for serious note-taking using the Pencil? I shifted from Notability to it recently for convenience and it seems buggy - specifically, it'll garble my note-taking occasionally forcing me to leave the note and return to it.

Anyone else noticed it?

Should I just shift back to Notability? And if so, is there an easy way to export my notes to it?

Yeah every time I decide to try Apple Notes it gives me some reason to go back to OneNote. I’d say go back to Notability if that’s working for you. The only thing you’re missing is not being able to doubletap a locked screen with your pencil to automatically bring up your favourite note taking app.

As for exporting notes, probably not. Depending on the format and how many you took I guess you could see if you can ctrl-a ctrl-v from notes into notability. Can’t say I’ve ever tried, sorry.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: I’m still looking for a way to play a YouTube* video and have the entire screen disabled to touch controls. It’s for my cat. She loves these 10-hour videos on YouTube with birds flying in and out and gets really into it, chattering at the screen and pouncing on it time to time. Every time she tries to touch it she brings up the HUD and ends up closing or minimizing the video

:3:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Boris Galerkin posted:

E: I’m still looking for a way to play a YouTube* video and have the entire screen disabled to touch controls. It’s for my cat. She loves these 10-hour videos on YouTube with birds flying in and out and gets really into it, chattering at the screen and pouncing on it time to time. Every time she tries to touch it she brings up the HUD and ends up closing or minimizing the video. The guided access mode puts a white cloud over the parts that are disabled which is the entire screen since the HUD comes up anywhere that can be tapped.

*If I can easily download the videos then it can be through some other app as well, not necessarily YouTube.

that’s a really weird excuse for why you’ve been seeing all those Ben Shapiro vids popping up in your ‘Recommended’ list

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I downloaded the YouTube app and it works better with the guided access (can just disable the bottom, top, and middle) but the loving ads. Nothing like watching my cat trying to play with the bird on the screen and then LOUD SOUNDS POLITICAL AD. I don’t see ads via Safari in the middle of videos and the ones that come up before that say “skippable in 5 seconds” can be skipped immediately by refreshing the page.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Boris Galerkin posted:

I downloaded the YouTube app and it works better with the guided access (can just disable the bottom, top, and middle) but the loving ads. Nothing like watching my cat trying to play with the bird on the screen and then LOUD SOUNDS POLITICAL AD. I don’t see ads via Safari in the middle of videos and the ones that come up before that say “skippable in 5 seconds” can be skipped immediately by refreshing the page.

If your cat is watching YouTube for 10 hours a day maybe it should spring for Premium.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

jabro posted:

If your cat is watching YouTube for 10 hours a day maybe it should spring for Premium.

Really don't want to judge your parenting style, but I'm not sure that's healthy. We limit our dogs screentime to 3 hours a day to DogTV and make it take a walk after 90 minutes. Got to find balance in their lives. You'll end up with a pet that sleeps all day and doesn't pitch in around the house.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Martytoof posted:

Yeah every time I decide to try Apple Notes it gives me some reason to go back to OneNote. I’d say go back to Notability if that’s working for you. The only thing you’re missing is not being able to doubletap a locked screen with your pencil to automatically bring up your favourite note taking app.
I wish that OneNote would:

a) Improve performance when moving selected ink around. GoodNotes creates a transparent bitmap copy and moves it across the screen, whereas OneNote appears to think it's a great idea to redraw everything every frame. While it's not relevant, it feels stupid, when some competing app will do just fine and fast.

b) Support paging and multiple pages per canvas, and then on top of that import PDFs in vector format where applicable. Considering I mess with a lot of PDFs I need to annotate and that eventually also get accompanied by blank page(s) of notes, I don't get around GoodNotes. Even tho I sometimes want an infinite canvas like in OneNote.

c) Better use/control of pen pressure. While it does technically support it, to get an appreciable difference in stroke width, you pretty much need to mash the pentip into the display like a brute.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

To be honest the only reason I haven't explored alternatives to OneNote is that I've got dozens of notebooks going back years so the thought of migrating to a new platform is downright intimidating. OneNote certainly has its failings I guess I've just gotten used to living within their constraints.

That pen pressure one is a thing though. Sometimes OneNote feels like it wonks out and what I feel is normal pressure starts to draw this line as if I were pushing on the screen with all my might.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
What’s a good app to use to test your iPad battery ?

Also, I have an iPad Pro 10.5 (2016). I’m debating upgrading to either the 2018 or 2020 pro. Given I literally just use it as a web browser, chat, mayyyybe light gaming , I think the 2018 will be fine, but I weirdly haven’t seen any promos or discounts on used 2018 iPads.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

Also, I have an iPad Pro 10.5 (2016). I’m debating upgrading to either the 2018 or 2020 pro. Given I literally just use it as a web browser, chat, mayyyybe light gaming , I think the 2018 will be fine, but I weirdly haven’t seen any promos or discounts on used 2018 iPads.

Call Applecare and get them to run a diagnostics to pull the battery health. Hell call right now no wait times. It’s been dead all week. Just need your apple id logged in on device and they will ping it with a test. You go to settings privacy data and analytics and if they did it right it will show start diagnostics with apple support. You can start test and ask battery health once it finishes

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

If you have a Mac you can use Coconut Battery to get a quick battery health summary of the iPad when plugged in.

Otherwise do what is suggested above ^^^^

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Sorry for what is probably an ignorant question, but I have never been in the Apple ecosystem. I was originally looking for a basic drawing tablet for my daughter (8) but she has a Chromebook, which seem to be incompatible with drawing tablets. Tonight it dawned on me that finding a refurbished iPad and getting Procreate may be a good option but I don't know A) if Procreate would be usable for a smart 8 year old; or B) what the cheapest model iPad there is that can run the application.

What model(s) should I be looking at? I'm fine with refurbished, even though I understand they aren't easy to get.

I see the models listed on https://procreate.art/faq but I don't know enough about iPads to know what to filter through that list.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 18, 2020

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Don't know your budget but the cheapest iPad I think is like $329, and regularly goes on sale for $250. It'll run Procreate (or pretty much anything else) no problem.

For the stylus there's the Pencil, or the cheaper Logitech Crayon which works almost the same, it's missing the pressure sensitivity of the Pencil.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - I'll keep an eye out for sales. It's good to know the cheapest models will run it. I wouldn't want to have a frustrating experience due to a lack of power.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

me your dad posted:

Sorry for what is probably an ignorant question, but I have never been in the Apple ecosystem. I was originally looking for a basic drawing tablet for my daughter (8) but she has a Chromebook, which seem to be incompatible with drawing tablets. Tonight it dawned on me that finding a refurbished iPad and getting Procreate may be a good option but I don't know A) if Procreate would be usable for a smart 8 year old; or B) what the cheapest model iPad there is that can run the application.

What model(s) should I be looking at? I'm fine with refurbished, even though I understand they aren't easy to get.

I see the models listed on https://procreate.art/faq but I don't know enough about iPads to know what to filter through that list.

My 8 yr old daughter loves procreate to bits and has since she was 5. It’s really intuitive and kids just get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

squirrelzipper posted:

My 8 yr old daughter loves procreate to bits and has since she was 5. It’s really intuitive and kids just get it.

That's great to know - thank you!