Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

XIII posted:

Isn't that just how you ride bikes?

Also, Ruby this week?

You know it (to both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Took a short day to have a little fun a half hour from Denver. Very much enjoying this Honzo.

Also some delicious beer from a castle rock brewery I dig a fair bit.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
Perfect hardtail trails down there. Bike looks great.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Has anyone used the Park IB-3 to break their chain?

Mine doesn't even come close to tightening. Operator error?

https://www.jensonusa.com/Park-Tool-IB-3

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

h3r0n posted:

Not sure what you mean but try putting the chain link closer to the part that pushes the pin out.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

h3r0n posted:

I haven't tried it but I have the Topeak 18+ and it breaks chains with ease.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

DeesGrandpa posted:

Took a short day to have a little fun a half hour from Denver. Very much enjoying this Honzo.

Also some delicious beer from a castle rock brewery I dig a fair bit.

My old trails :unsmith:

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Bud Manstrong posted:

Perfect hardtail trails down there. Bike looks great.

e.pilot posted:

My old trails :unsmith:

Yeah I dig it. Come to think of it I think that's the system I've taken my first ride on for both of my hardtails, but never on a FS bike, totally unintentional. It is sandier than I've seen it though, I came pretty close to losing it around turns a couple of times but thankfully stayed upright.

I may just leave a sixer of something on the seller's porch, dude did a loving great build on this and a super good price. The only part I'm not totally sold on is the handlebar. Dude did a raceface SIXC, which is to me a pretty pricey bar, and feels pretty nice, but for some reason I get spooked by a carbon bar. I know this is absurd but I may wind up getting an aluminum bar and selling this at some point.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Slide it this way.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Not sure what you mean but try putting the chain link closer to the part that pushes the pin out.

spwrozek posted:

I haven't tried it but I have the Topeak 18+ and it breaks chains with ease.

Its the threading on the casting OR the threaded piece - the threads dont 'bite' thus never tightening. I'm glad I found out in the garage and not out in the middle of nowhere.

#1 and #2 in this diagram:

https://www.parktool.com/parts?query=IB-3

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

DeesGrandpa posted:

Yeah I dig it. Come to think of it I think that's the system I've taken my first ride on for both of my hardtails, but never on a FS bike, totally unintentional. It is sandier than I've seen it though, I came pretty close to losing it around turns a couple of times but thankfully stayed upright.

I may just leave a sixer of something on the seller's porch, dude did a loving great build on this and a super good price. The only part I'm not totally sold on is the handlebar. Dude did a raceface SIXC, which is to me a pretty pricey bar, and feels pretty nice, but for some reason I get spooked by a carbon bar. I know this is absurd but I may wind up getting an aluminum bar and selling this at some point.

Dunno how often you crash but carbon bars are pretty bombproof these days and a lot of them do have a noticeable effect on smoothing out really high frequency vibration.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

VacaGrande posted:

Dunno how often you crash but carbon bars are pretty bombproof these days and a lot of them do have a noticeable effect on smoothing out really high frequency vibration.

Agree with this. Don’t worry about it and just see how you like them.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
I had been thinking so much about this bike buying thing I was having dreams about it (I don't have much going on). I rode the new optic on a very mellow test loop. I liked it pretty well but felt similar enough to my current optic that I ruled it out. I had sort of resigned myself to getting a ripmo despite the long order times and lack of test ride.

Then I decided to check the other local shops for anything interesting, that's when I found the new sj evo. The groupsets for the money are superior to the ripmo. I really liked the swat box for my long rides. The frame is lighter than the ripmo and it comes with lighter tires (I would have swapped out the assegais right off the bat). I like the geometry options as well. I'll probably run it high and steep most of the time, but the option to go low and slack is nice for a park day.

So there you go, it's going to take just as long to get as the ripmo, but I think it'll fit me a bit better.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
It took almost 2 weeks but I realize that I broke at least one rib in my last crash. Isn't it weird how the ugliest bruises don't hurt that much but stuff you can't see is agonizing?

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

Nocheez posted:

It took almost 2 weeks but I realize that I broke at least one rib in my last crash. Isn't it weird how the ugliest bruises don't hurt that much but stuff you can't see is agonizing?

I broke a couple fingers a few weeks ago and I swear they hurt worse now than they did the day it happened.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nocheez did they not do a normal chest x-ray when you got the imaging done? Or am I thinking of another goon...

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

VelociBacon posted:

Nocheez did they not do a normal chest x-ray when you got the imaging done? Or am I thinking of another goon...

Not me. I took a fall but didn't get any medical treatment. I even rode the same route a week later just to say I did it, plus another 4 or 5 miles afterward for good measure.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

n8r posted:

Then I decided to check the other local shops for anything interesting, that's when I found the new sj evo. The groupsets for the money are superior to the ripmo. I really liked the swat box for my long rides. The frame is lighter than the ripmo and it comes with lighter tires (I would have swapped out the assegais right off the bat). I like the geometry options as well. I'll probably run it high and steep most of the time, but the option to go low and slack is nice for a park day.

So there you go, it's going to take just as long to get as the ripmo, but I think it'll fit me a bit better.

Nice! When did they quote you for delivery? I love the SWAT box and the top cap tool.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

World Cup DH starting soon! Women at 0330 PST and Men at 0430 PST!

It's Maribor!

My Fantasy Team:

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Oct 16, 2020

afflictionwisp
Aug 26, 2003

h3r0n posted:

I carry one of these, haven't had any issues with the chain tool. Has worked well enough that I haven't had the need yet to buy a dedicated tool.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Bud Manstrong posted:

Nice! When did they quote you for delivery? I love the SWAT box and the top cap tool.

I didn't get a really firm date. February / March. All of the trails are closed until April 1st so I'm in no rush at this point

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
I'm back!

I want to get my son a bike to start doing trails with me. But the bike shop keeps talking about "you need a 24" or a 26"" but when I look at the frames they have with 24" tires and 26" tires, they are tiny compared to him.

He's 8 years old and 4'8". His Inseam is 2'1", and his Arm length is 1'9".

The siskiu d7 starts at a height of 5''3 for their size chart. Do you think he would be ok on a small frame D7? His height is my only worry, but the rest of his measurements fit just fine in their the websites measure guide. I was thinking he's growing fast and should probably be close to 5'3 by mid summer.

*edit* their small says it's for 5'1" to 5'5" without using the "Find your size" button.

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 17, 2020

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Kilazar posted:

I'm back!

I want to get my son a bike to start doing trails with me. But the bike shop keeps talking about "you need a 24" or a 26"" but when I look at the frames they have with 24" tires and 26" tires, they are tiny compared to him.

The siskiu d7 starts at a height of 5''3 for their size chart. Do you think he would be ok on a small frame D7? His height is my only worry, but the rest of his measurements fit just fine in their the websites measure guide. I was thinking he's growing fast and should probably be close to 5'3 by mid summer.

*edit* their small says it's for 5'1" to 5'5" without using the "Find your size" button.

What about this?

https://www.canyon.com/en-us/mountain-bikes/trail-bikes/neuron/neuron-young-hero/2624.html

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

It's a pretty ride, but for 100 less on the d7 he gets a dropper post. I really wish I could see these bikes in person. I'm not concerned so much on the 1x11 vs 1x12. I feel the dropper would more important especially after experiencing some of our stuff on my hard tail sans dropper.

*edit Thanks for that link though! Comparing the geometry they are not too far apart (keeping in mind I know nothing about how effective 2 to 10cm could actually be)

but the head tube on the d7 is 102, and the head tube on the canyon is 90. Makes me feel like it would be like someone that should be at the top end of a medium bike upsizing to a large?

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 17, 2020

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Just lovin it. Hoping that Fruita calms down a bit one the cold discourages most of the campers and I can have a fun long weekend out there.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Kilazar posted:

I'm back!

I've got an 8 year old who is 4'6" right now on a used 21spd 24" Trek Precaliber I snagged for $150ish and it's just on the large side of perfect (I haven't measured his legs and arms). Front shock helps out on the rocks and roots that are everywhere here in PA and the deep gearing helps with climbing. But he's still a 70lbs kid on a 27lbs bike, so muscling the bike around isn't really an option. Controllability is occasionally an issue and I end up ferrying the bike up any remotely technical climb. He's gotten a little skittish after spills because it's hard for him to handle the mass of the bike on the way to the ground.

Basically, I would err on the side of a smaller rather than a bigger bike. He'll be able to pedal either one but he'll likely build more confidence on rougher stuff with a smaller bike. It's not going to be a forever bike for him either way, and kids bikes are easy to resell because there's always new ones growing into them. Getting used is ideal from a value perspective, but I know that's hard right now. I managed to snag the one I got only after F5ing CL and FB marketplace for weeks and catching a new posting within the first 10 min.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I've got an 8 year old who is 4'6" right now on a used 21spd 24" Trek Precaliber I snagged for $150ish and it's just on the large side of perfect (I haven't measured his legs and arms). Front shock helps out on the rocks and roots that are everywhere here in PA and the deep gearing helps with climbing. But he's still a 70lbs kid on a 27lbs bike, so muscling the bike around isn't really an option. Controllability is occasionally an issue and I end up ferrying the bike up any remotely technical climb. He's gotten a little skittish after spills because it's hard for him to handle the mass of the bike on the way to the ground.

Basically, I would err on the side of a smaller rather than a bigger bike. He'll be able to pedal either one but he'll likely build more confidence on rougher stuff with a smaller bike. It's not going to be a forever bike for him either way, and kids bikes are easy to resell because there's always new ones growing into them. Getting used is ideal from a value perspective, but I know that's hard right now. I managed to snag the one I got only after F5ing CL and FB marketplace for weeks and catching a new posting within the first 10 min.

Thanks. The pre caliber just looks so small next to him so that was a concern. That he would be outgrown on a 24" by summer. I been waiting for the shop to get a 24" rosco in hopes that it would be a frame closer to his size and to actually see him on the bike.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'm intrigued
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHGt09eIyoI

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I took a look at that but it seems like it wanted to be a drama series and I couldn't care less about the personality conflicts of random bikers.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

As long as he can get good leg extension and not bump steer with his knees I'd always err on the smaller side. Muscling around a large and heavy frame just isn't fun when you're tiny.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

afflictionwisp posted:

I carry one of these, haven't had any issues with the chain tool. Has worked well enough that I haven't had the need yet to buy a dedicated tool.

Mine must be a bit fubar is my guess. I can wiggle the threaded piece right out of the chain tool. I emailed their customer service to see if this was a known issue and if there was a replacement threaded piece. They're just sending me a whole new one. :toot:

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day

New bike day. First impressions are insanely good, but what stands out is how well it climbs. Climbs that would have left me beat at the top on my Honzo were no problem, even without using the rear lockout. Ripping down trails is incredibly loving fun.

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

yoohoo posted:

New bike day. First impressions are insanely good, but what stands out is how well it climbs. Climbs that would have left me beat at the top on my Honzo were no problem, even without using the rear lockout. Ripping down trails is incredibly loving fun.

More pics.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

yoohoo posted:

What is it?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

VelociBacon posted:

What is it?

Looks like it is a Trek Fuel EX7.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Yep it’s a Fuel EX7. I was hoping for an 8 but this was more or less the only bike in my size that I wanted in the area, so I went for it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

yoohoo posted:

Yep it’s a Fuel EX7. I was hoping for an 8 but this was more or less the only bike in my size that I wanted in the area, so I went for it.

I have noticed the GX components are much nicer than NX but having a bike is much better than not. Sweet new ride.

P.S. Lose the reflectors on the spokes...

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

spwrozek posted:

P.S. Lose the reflectors on the spokes...

After they went through all the effort to line them up so perfectly in that shot? Rude. :colbert:

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

After they went through all the effort to line them up so perfectly in that shot? Rude. :colbert:

Thank you I’m glad somebody noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What do you all do when you come up fast behind a slower rider? Do you patiently wait for them to notice you and move out of the way or do you say something? Yesterday I felt bad because I was going fast and quickly found myself right behind two slow riders and one of them seemed startled. I think I overestimate the sound my freehub makes and maybe others can't hear it against the sound of their own bikes. I wasn't being a dick or anything and when they scooted over I thanked them and told them to enjoy their ride. I was only behind them for a few seconds.

If the trail allows, in past instances I have said something like, "I'm going to pass on your left once the trail opens up", but this was a very tight trail without much passing opportunity. I'll be honest in saying I was very much in the zone and really wanted to pass these riders quickly to keep my momentum.