Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

TheMostFrench posted:

A rally I attended handed out masks and went around offering people hand sanitiser while marching.

This happened at a rally in Perth as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

bobvonunheil posted:

I don't buy that the 'left' were ever sceptical about COVID, it always felt like "let's be careful and make sure it doesn't gently caress us over" and the body burning and urn stockpiling stuff was always nutjob conspiracy theory territory that I wouldn't necessarily attribute to the 'right' either.

If you even used covid and China in the same sentence, you were accused of being racist, even if the content was definitely not that. The early months of this pandemic had some of the left attacking anyone as sinophobic, and the right taking the opposite end of that, and arguing why can’t they call it the wuhan/China virus.

The far right and far left are similar in their quickness to take an opposing point of view to each other.

Into The Mild fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 14, 2020

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

bobvonunheil posted:

I don't buy that the 'left' were ever sceptical about COVID, it always felt like "let's be careful and make sure it doesn't gently caress us over" and the body burning and urn stockpiling stuff was always nutjob conspiracy theory territory that I wouldn't necessarily attribute to the 'right' either.

It was really convenient at the time about how a 5G protest was fine but the BLM protests weren’t. We were extremely lucky that the BLM protests didn’t lead to transmission as Sierra Madre said.

That was a great post btw.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Six new cases in Victoria, after only seven yesterday. Hopefully this is the start of another sustained downturn, since the flattening over the past fortnight had the let-her-rippers champing at the bit.

On the other hand the Age is saying the government is shifting from an elimination to a suppression stance; it's Chip Le Grand, who's worn his bias openly throughout this, but he's quoting the epidemiologists:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/victorian-pivot-opens-path-out-of-lockdown-20201014-p5654v.html

I still don't understand the meaningful distinction here:

quote:

Most epidemiologists define elimination as no new COVID cases recorded for a life cycle of the virus, usually measured at 14 or 21 days. Although this milestone has been achieved in Western Australia, South Australia, Tasmania and the Northern Territory, it is not the goal of national cabinet, which is aiming for zero community transmissions across all states and territories.

Zero community transmissions for how long? If that's sustained, isn't that elimination? I also still haven't seen anybody explain why, if it can be accomplished in other states, it's impossible here.

If Victoria rolls in and out of stage three and stage four for 2021, like Tony Blakely suggested the other day, or if it accepts a Sydney status quo with life still severely restricted, I think I will genuinely look at the feasibility moving back to WA or moving out to country Victoria.

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

freebooter posted:

On the other hand the Age is saying the government is shifting from an elimination to a suppression stance; it's Chip Le Grand, who's worn his bias openly throughout this, but he's quoting the epidemiologists:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/victorian-pivot-opens-path-out-of-lockdown-20201014-p5654v.html

I still don't understand the meaningful distinction here:

Zero community transmissions for how long? If that's sustained, isn't that elimination? I also still haven't seen anybody explain why, if it can be accomplished in other states, it's impossible here.

If Victoria rolls in and out of stage three and stage four for 2021, like Tony Blakely suggested the other day, or if it accepts a Sydney status quo with life still severely restricted, I think I will genuinely look at the feasibility moving back to WA or moving out to country Victoria.

That's a real confusing paragraph and I still don't fully get it but the rest of article makes clear that they're moving to "we can ease restrictions and open up with low numbers"

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Recoome posted:

It was really convenient at the time about how a 5G protest was fine but the BLM protests weren’t. We were extremely lucky that the BLM protests didn’t lead to transmission as Sierra Madre said.

That was a great post btw.

That's what I said where is my Recoome head pat? :smith:

TammyHEH
Dec 11, 2013

Alfrything is only the ghost of a memory...

Gridlocked posted:

That's what I said where is my Recoome head pat? :smith:

You post like a frenzied boar

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

freebooter posted:

That article is bizarre, saying the unspoken elimination strategy wasn't feasible, then saying before the chaddy outbreak they put it at a coin flip of being achievable. The author purposely confuses provisional dates with a set in stone goal to support their points. Guillotine.

Uhhh depending on where you want to move to. Country Vic isn't teeming with jobs, unless you want poo poo ones in small towns no one else wants. Stawell meat processors are screaming for workers to compensate for visa workers, for some reason they can't attract more locals. :thunk:

If it's a choice between being unemployed in the country and unemployed in the city during stage 4, yeah, just be careful as moving back is hard, a million times more so if you're on income support.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

freebooter posted:

Zero community transmissions for how long? If that's sustained, isn't that elimination?

This is a sticking point for the government.

Andrews continues to say they're not going for elimination, while at the same time, this is the last step of the roadmap.

it's truly dumb, and means if there's a single case of Coronavirus in say, a Mildura nursing home, that means a seafood festival in Sorrento cannot go ahead, and will then need to wait another 28 days with an infinitely resetting clock.

But don't call it elimination! :allears:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Yeast posted:

This is a sticking point for the government.

Andrews continues to say they're not going for elimination, while at the same time, this is the last step of the roadmap.

it's truly dumb, and means if there's a single case of Coronavirus in say, a Mildura nursing home, that means a seafood festival in Sorrento cannot go ahead, and will then need to wait another 28 days with an infinitely resetting clock.

But don't call it elimination! :allears:

It's a ridiculous step for a reason: the Government doesn't expect to ever reach this point. The reason this is on the roadmap is because Dandrews was pressured to put one out. This is his, "here's a roadmap, are you happy?".

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Knobb Manwich posted:

Uhhh depending on where you want to move to. Country Vic isn't teeming with jobs, unless you want poo poo ones in small towns no one else wants. Stawell meat processors are screaming for workers to compensate for visa workers, for some reason they can't attract more locals. :thunk:

If it's a choice between being unemployed in the country and unemployed in the city during stage 4, yeah, just be careful as moving back is hard, a million times more so if you're on income support.

That's the thing, I was already working from home from last year after they shut our office down as a cost saving measure. My partner is also now working from home. So if you don't need to commute to an office, and can't go out to bars/cafes/restaurants, there's zero reason to live in Melbourne anymore and it starts to feel really stupid to pay rent on one bedroom apartment that feels more like a prison cell.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

CelestialScribe posted:

It's a ridiculous step for a reason: the Government doesn't expect to ever reach this point. The reason this is on the roadmap is because Dandrews was pressured to put one out. This is his, "here's a roadmap, are you happy?".

You have Problems and none of them have anything to do with Dandrews

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

CelestialScribe posted:

This is a pretty reductive analysis. Again, what you're reducing this argument down to is, "there is absolutely no reason to break these restrictions". Which, as we've already discussed, is bullshit. If you're willing to condemn the protestors in May/June as doing the same thing - then I'm happy to accept your view here. If you're not, then you're just being disingenuous.

No-one who is of the mindset that they are going to hurr durr ignore the rules and take their kiddy to its favorite park to look at the birdies would ever respond to criticism with language like this. You are hardcore debate trolling this thread. I don't know what your reasons are but A) it's shooting fish in a barrel, are you really deriving satisfaction from this and B) you're just increasing the white noise. Almost exponentially.

Then again nothing of value was lost, carry on, I suppose.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
At this point I am going to assume it's sexual gratification from being scolded, it's been like a week

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!

The Peccadillo posted:

At this point I am going to assume it's sexual gratification from being scolded, it's been like a week

More like 6 months

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

As an aside, I gave blood for the first time last week*. Place was packed and appointments were sparse. I asked the nurse if its usually that busy or its just lockdown meaning people are just looking an excuse to get out. It was the latter.

That's a positive at least. In my case 0+.

*been meaning to for ages but had my own medical issues until recently.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Carnaticum posted:

As an aside, I gave blood for the first time last week*. Place was packed and appointments were sparse. I asked the nurse if its usually that busy or its just lockdown meaning people are just looking an excuse to get out. It was the latter.

Good on you. More people should donate if they can.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Carnaticum posted:

I went in last week for my 6th donation and mentioned that I had a bit of fatigue for a few days after the last one (I run daily and noticed that I just didn't quite have the same spring in my step, if I wasn't running I probably wouldn't have noticed) and they told me I was permanently banned from giving blood. I tried to explain that I run a lot and sweat a lot and I may have just not replaced my salt correctly but they wouldn't hear it. I get that it's probably an insurance thing but it didn't feel great. I should ask if I can get a doctor's note or something. I only mentioned it cos I thought they might give me advice on modifying the running or diet or something

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

EoinCannon posted:

I went in last week for my 6th donation and mentioned that I had a bit of fatigue for a few days after the last one (I run daily and noticed that I just didn't quite have the same spring in my step, if I wasn't running I probably wouldn't have noticed) and they told me I was permanently banned from giving blood. I tried to explain that I run a lot and sweat a lot and I may have just not replaced my salt correctly but they wouldn't hear it. I get that it's probably an insurance thing but it didn't feel great. I should ask if I can get a doctor's note or something. I only mentioned it cos I thought they might give me advice on modifying the running or diet or something

Nah good luck but they basically gently caress you because of that. It really sucks but they are very draconian about it and these days they'll black ball you forever.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Carnaticum posted:

aaaaayyyy

(thank you)

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

NPR Journalizard posted:

Good on you. More people should donate if they can.

Definately. I would but :britain:

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tomberforce posted:

Definately. I would but :britain:

That's ok, I will donate for you.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

my blood is mine. i made it. you can't have it.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

loving leaners

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

no but really i can't give it for 3 years due to :catdrugs:

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
i also cant donate blood due to living in england during the mad cow scare, which is a great excuse because i am also somehow terrible with getting any amount of blood taken, cant imagine how itd be donating a solid chunk of it. thank u heroes who donate

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
although in an ideal world we wouldnt have to donate, we'd just farm the rich

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sulla Faex posted:

although in an ideal world we wouldnt have to donate, we'd just farm the rich

I don't want no bougie blood

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hambeet posted:

no but really i can't give it for 3 years due to :catdrugs:

i think by this stage my blood is more :birddrugs: than blood by volume

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't want no bougie blood

too rich for your taste?

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

hambeet posted:

too rich for your taste?

No too rich for their blood. $- people can't accept $+ people's blood

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
WA is making radar detectors illegal.

While it is a lovely punitive law, it's also pretty funny how mad people are.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Do radar detectors even work in Australia? I thought most cops and camera cars use lasers and fixed cameras use piezoelectrics.

EDIT: Okay, going to the Vic speedcamera operator sites says that some fixed cameras do use radar.

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

hooman posted:

So where does Waze fit in? Is using a crowd sourced traffic map, a "radar detector"?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

What about radar detector detector detectors?

hambeet fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 15, 2020

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

trunkh posted:

So where does Waze fit in? Is using a crowd sourced traffic map, a "radar detector"?

Google maps also presents this data (google owns Waze)

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

trunkh posted:

Speed camera alerts on GPS devices and phones are banned in some European countries IIRC, it could be included if they want it to be and are sufficiently tech-savvy. Probably near impossible to actually catch anyone that way though.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cops just enter fake speed traps

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hambeet posted:

too rich for your taste?

Sans clots preferably

hooman posted:

I'm betting there's a lot of nanny states being throw around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

uvar posted:

Speed camera alerts on GPS devices and phones are banned in some European countries IIRC, it could be included if they want it to be and are sufficiently tech-savvy. Probably near impossible to actually catch anyone that way though.

I think banning crowd sourced info is dumb, and have very little faith in the tech savviness of all Australian Politicians, recall Turnbull's quote around the law of math and the law of Australia.