Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Tugging: It is for masturbation

I guess it's time to buy in. :shlick:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://clips.twitch.tv/GlamorousJollyClintmullinsArsonNoSexy

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

downout posted:

Ya, all I can find is a one ~$300 jpg and the rest are 150 or less. There's a single ~1100 dollar explorer folder of jpgs.

Apparently there are parts of the store locked off to you until you have spent a lot of money. It's kind of like unlocking your own stupidity and having a visual representation to show you how much of a simp for Robert's you really are.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Sarsapariller posted:

No. They have lots of ships with those stations blocked out in the art assets, and lots of ships that basically can't function without people sitting in the turrets. It is possible for someone to sit at a second station and gently caress with your power settings, though I have never seen anyone bother because it's not obvious that moving power around does anything. In 8 years they have not even partially implemented a single part of the multi-crew experience. What's there is mostly incidental.

It's totally baffling that Citizens find this acceptable.

Exactly my thoughts. I pledged in 2012 for a few ships and got out in 2013/14 once I realized what a shitshow this is becoming.

Multi-crew ships were one of the things I was looking forward to, cause I was thinking "Even it the game turns out to be mediocre, it might still be fun to herp-derp around in a ship full of goons".

And none of this is in the game, not even for a 2-seater like the Super Hornet and much less for anything bigger. The Idris was revealed in 2013 and it's not playable yet.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

I can answer that!

Interdiction: There is nothing to interdict in the game
Racing: There are no races in the game
Pathfinder: There is nothing to scout or otherwise mark in the game
Scout: Nope, still nothing
Recon: It is a ground vehicle for scouting and there is no scouting no matter how many ways you write it
Passenger: There are no passengers in the game
Exploration: There is nothing to discover in the game
Medium Data: There is no data to transport in the game
Light Science: There is no science mechanic in the game
Dropship: There is nothing to ship or drop in the game
Support-Medical: You have a bed in your ship and people can respawn at it. That's it- seriously.
Reporting: There is no reporting in the game
Search & Rescue: There is no searching and no rescuing in the game
Salvage: There is no salvage in the game
Medium Repair/Refuel: There is no repairing or refueling in the game.
Heavy Refueling: There is no heavy refueling in the game
Heavy Repair: Guess what
Heavy Science: You bought a space telescope and farm, congrats
Mining: You can mine with this ship and ONLY with this ship. It costs 150 dollars to start.
Heavy Construction: There is no construction in the game
Transport: You can carry boxes
Heavy Lifting: It is a Transport
Heavy Military Lifting: It is a Transport but Green
Cargo: You can carry boxes on the ground
Light Freight: You can carry boxes in space
Medium Freight: Best loving ship in the game, by which I mean you can carry boxes
Heavy Freight: You can carry a lot of boxes
Blockade Runner: There are no blockades in the game. You can carry some boxes, instead.
Touring: You can carry boxes but it looks like a yacht and costs 1,000 dollars
Combat: It is a ground vehicle with a gun in a game that spreads 50 players across 20 planets and 50 billion miles of space. The gun has a range of 20 meters.
Heavy Tank: It is a ground vehicle with a gun etc etc but this time it's very slow
Anti-Air: It is a ground vehicle and this time the gun is designed to shoot at space ships but you won't see any space ships.
Tugging: It is for masturbation
Snub Fighter: It is the shittiest fighter and cannot fly farther than the spawn point
Light Fighter: It is a lovely fighter and costs the least
Medium Fighter: It is a so-so fighter that punches at exactly its weight and no higher and coincidentally costs 100 dollars or more
Stealth Fighter: There is no stealth in this game
Gunship: Now you're in the 175 dollar range. Punches above its weight.
Heavy Fighter: Ah, I see you have finally paid to win. Congratulations.
Heavy Gunship: Okay there's such a thing as paying too much to win. You crossed the line around 500 dollars ago.
Electronic Warfare: Doesn't do anything
Minelayer: Doesn't do anything
Corvette: Isn't even in the game
Frigate: Like a Corvette, but even more not-in-the-game
Multi-role Light Carrier: The most not-in-the-game you can ever be
Destroyer: More not-in-the-game than the Carrier, somehow
Light Bomber: It costs 165 dollars and they haven't updated it in about 5 years, it does nothing
Heavy Bomber: There is nothing to bomb in this game. It can fire missiles at ships. The missiles do not work.
Starter: It is poo poo.

No other game has all this functionality at once, done to the level of fidelity that we deliver.
-Chris Roberts 2020

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

The Titanic posted:

Always curious about the ambition bit. :)

It feels like we're mixing the concept of ambition with the concept of not understanding modern technology. Like we have Elite and we've had that Star Wars and Star Trek MMO that allowed people to play in ships and on foot, they just did it in a technologically feasible way to actually deliver a product to people.

If CR actually wanted to deliver what he wanted to deliver (a functional MMO set in space), he'd have needed to do it from ground up in this manner.

Like the big elephant in the room is Star Citizen is just an arena shooter without an MMO framework, already maxed with around 50 players. They may or may not squeeze more in there, but I don't see this number reaching 100 for example, like an average Fortnight game even.

Ultimately we learned that server meshing is not the CR version of shooting between servers, it's just moving players to other servers that also probably have 50 players caps. People will phase in and out around you. That's fine I guess. :)

But at that scale, you'll never have fleet battles. You'll never even get to fully populate some big capital ship. The "vision" is not matching what's being built, and the technological direction is absent, filled instead with "no cheating" that ends up being cheating anyway when nobody is looking, but not quickly enough and with no organization.

So is it really ambition, or is it more or less a failure of understanding how to actually achieve a realistic goal? 8-9 years in seems to indicate the latter. But if people want to fund it, more power to them. :)

It's something like trying to sell new property. Normally the showroom doesn't change (concept), while the building at the back is being constructed. In Star Citizen's terms the showroom is the final product. Also, the showroom is constantly being built out, like a beautiful indoor pool area, or a new snooker room. The construction at the back now is at a complete standstill, with Crobbers still presenting new features built into the showroom and agrees to every new addition that's being suggested. As investors / homeowners begin questioning, "Where is our house / property??" Crobbers just points to the showroom and says "There it is! And I absolve myself of all issues!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

The Titanic posted:

Ray trace searches to find who used an item is not a good use at all for ray tracing and makes no sense.

You have event triggers for immediate use, and in MMOs I imagine you have some sort of a queue event logged with a time of use so the server can return with what would have happened after that time period.

But you're not going to "search" for used items. You'll always know when somebody uses an item.

Sorry if I'm wrong or if I'm not talking about the right stuff. :shrug:

Ray tracing is a rendering technique, primarily for light bounces. It can help light a scene through a single window that has light because that light isn't just a single light ray, but whatever surface the light hits also emits light so it can make a darker room be lit more.

This effect is kind of "faked" with stuff like post process auto exposure or eye adaptation filters where a dark room will "get lighter" and when you go outside things "go back to normal after you are blinded for a second or so" for example.

So a ray trace is tracing the "line" as some ray bounces off of surfaces. There's no point in using this technique to "search" for users using items.

You're exactly right

E: And even if you aren't rendering with ray-tracing for your lighting, there are things games will toss a ray to calculate, (we can nitpick "ray-tracing" vs "ray-casting" vs just measuring things for language but not important) but "searching for who used an item" is not a use-case that makes any sense for that whatsoever. Roberts was probably at a meeting with engineers where something about rays came up and he garbled it in his head.

MilesK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g

I'm no programmer or game developer, but I rewatched this video and still believe he works on the SC physics code. Sure he only fixes the collision for a single item in a single spaceship while the Bugsmashers guy is figuring out why that item launches you into space.. but surely after 5 years he's come up with fixes for every error in the item/physics grid/skeletal code and falling through geometry is no longer a problem. If anyone more knowledgeable is reading this, is Chris' rambling "The next stage is ray tracing searches to detect the use of items fluidly and systematically" a real thing? I assume he's still talking about collisions. He starts laughing his rear end off as he goes into the limitless possibilities it can bring before quickly wrapping up the video.

As a programmer (:smuggo:) the way he struggles to rename a function/method in that "didnt' see you there" thing comes across as pretty bad, its something this whole thread ragged on Chris for. It doesn't look like someone who is familiar with this codebase.

Now, maybe he sat down at the code for this promo and it isn't the same code he works on but he does work on code... but listening to the guy talk... he seems really really out of touch with the technical state of game design for the last... two decades. I do not believe he writes code or has for years. He dictates design to others.

Best I can do translating that line of Chris rambling, is that he's saying that they're working on detecting which objects are interactable by a player so they know to calculate physics for them. But that should really just be a trivial distance check? Or an occlusion check, either you just do a sphere test against the player position and a radius, or you're casting a ray and doing collision detection on the interim, or maybe you're using the frame buffer itself, but you don't do ray-tracing...

All of this really just means their "physics grids" code that they called "done" isn't, its buggy as heck. This should just work, but because physics grids are broken they have to work on patches like casting rays to detect things that should already be known a priori based on the level structure.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 15, 2020

downout
Jul 6, 2009

L. Ron Hoover posted:

so what the gently caress have the whales been buying everyday? currency? the rest of the ships? nothing because the funding tracker is faked?

Well if the money laundering speculation is right, I'd figure a big part of that is initially spending "clean" money on stuff in the store. The newly purchased, clean jpgs would be sold on the grey market for "dirty" money. Which at that point starts the obfuscation. The clean money pile would be increased from this transaction which could be used to buy "bargains" on the grey market to further spin the market of jpgs (and conveniently keep it churning, creating false demand). The jpgs owned by the "dirty" money piles could be bought and sold back and forth across the grey market between the clean and dirty piles of money all under the guise of "honest" speculation. Further creating obfuscation, churn, and the appearance of demand.

Sorry for all the quotes, it's just most of this is complete speculation and bytes of data for $$$$.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

A few minutes later....

https://clips.twitch.tv/FurryAbstruseAnteaterGrammarKing

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Beet Wagon posted:

Nobody should underestimate the reach and power of the Rusisan mob that runs /r/starcitizen_refunds

Nice work on that one by the way

]spoiler]also I'm a little nervous as my last check hasn't showed up and it's been 2 weeks and I have bills past due have you guys gotten yours already? sorry to post here I forgot my password on the ops channel so also let the mods know I need to get that sorted if you don't mind[/spoiler]

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ganking someone trying to mine some rocks, the single seater buggy not blowing up, the man child scream

Perfect in every way

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

:kiss:

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

CIG art team apparently don't know how rank insignia work. Someone's going to have to inform the Citizens strutting around in the new outfits that they are all enlisted men, not commissioned.

Yes Sir, Chief Petty Officer!

Wait a loving minute.

They literally googled "Master Chief Rank Insignia" and used the first thing that came up didn't they

Holy poo poo, hahahaha

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Wow, their character models aren't aging well.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

CIG is essentially a startup studio; so there were, and still are, all kinds of growing pains that you won't necessarily see in a 8 year Rockstar/Bethesda effort. These elder studios already have existing pipelines, software, management, etc. in place, and they usually are already self funded so there's no need to divert resources 'answering to the public'.

As a whole it's a project with many, many moving parts, some operating more effectively than others, some needing more grease than others. Imagine where CIG will be once they finish SQ42 and can focus their work on another chapter without all the previous 'growing pains' to worry about.

There's certainly reason to hold them accountable. They really have made some avoidable mistakes, but that's easy for me to say. I haven't ever launched a crowd funded project that took in 100x's the amount of money I asked for with everyone screaming "BUILD YOUR DREAMS BRO"

quote:

Well with Star Citizen there isn't anything faked.

Let's use Star Wars Squadrons as an example.

When you return to you capital ship in Squadrons, you enter a cutscene and a new level is loaded, which consists of two rooms with clicky interactions.

In SQ42, your mother ship is an actual ship entity in the game, and you will land in it. It's a fully realized game asset, so you can look out windows and see the game world as it really is.

All of the tech for SC/SQ42 was built ground up. When CIG first got a hold of CryeEngine back when it was meant for first person shooters in small 2x2km maps.

Because everything they want to do in Star Citizen will also be done in Squadron 42, they can't cut corners on anything. They can't have set pieces separated by cutscene. Docking and launching fighters is real in the game world and the devs had to learn to make objects with their own physics interact in a real way.

Games like Space Engineers get around this by not allowing different physics objects from interacting; if you want to land or dock you will be fusing physics grids.

Basically, there's a retarded number of things happening in the engine that other games aren't doing.

When you see aircraft flying around in Cyberpunk next month, remember those are scripted set pieces. In Star Citizen when a ship flies over you, that's a real game object with a flight control calculating exact thrust numbers and countering inertia and gravity. Its emitting a heat signature, and an electronic noise signature, and its cross section can actually bounce back signals.

quote:

The concepts of Star Citizen and Squadron 42 are not new. We all have watched sci-fi shows, and we all have played games where these universes are realized.

The difference is just how they are realized.

Like in the early days of SQ42 development, they showcased some spider style mech meant for mining asteroids. This was supposed to be something to just make the environment more interesting for players to fly around.

Instead of just leaving it at that, these miners are completely modeled and have functioning cockpits and systems just in case those things ever became usable in the PU. The expectation of the devs is that everything being made for SQ42 gameplay will also be something players can use in the PU.

quote:

Another example is ships thrusters.
Ships in Star Citizen (and SQ42) have directional thrusters that output forces which cause the ship to move. In many games, your control inputs would cause the ship to move, and animations will play to correspond. In Star Citizen your control inputs cause thrusters to fire which cause the ship to move.

This has direct impacts on how different ships feel in the universe, how they perform in atmosphere vs space, and even better, how damage affects ships. Each individual thruster on a ship is a separate game entity with it's own states and they can individually be damaged, causing them to fail, which directly changes how a ship handles.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dwesa posted:

Scott Manley received death threats after he made video criticizing Star Citizen. I can understand why OA doesn't want to irritate toxic cultists.

Nah, OA does the loving same with any game he covers. Pathological fear to confrontation and that his own opinions may be lacking and open to criticism.

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

Racing: There are no races in the game

Isn't there that stupid Murry cup thingie?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sarsapariller posted:

CIG art team apparently don't know how rank insignia work. Someone's going to have to inform the Citizens strutting around in the new outfits that they are all enlisted men, not commissioned.

Wait a loving minute.

They literally googled "Master Chief Rank Insignia" and used the first thing that came up didn't they

Holy poo poo, hahahaha

Homelander has seen better days,

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

trucutru posted:

Homelander has seen better days,

Nah it’s the witch from Lovecraft Country.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Sarsapariller posted:

This looks like a kid’s action figure of some obscure walk-on character from Buck Rogers in the 25th Century.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Don't know about you guys, but I am excited about the best drat space sim ever.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

MedicineHut posted:

Nah, OA does the loving same with any game he covers. Pathological fear to confrontation and that his own opinions may be lacking and open to criticism.

I don't think it's fear of confrontation, but a deliberate business choice. Why antagonize people if what they are looking for is to hear that the game they are interested in is good?

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

The Titanic posted:

Imagine your "FU'D RO DAH!!!" In Skyrim on a table (everybody does this :lol:) except it crashes the server and CIG need to go in to manually edit database rows until the server can come online again.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > DOTA > Star Citizer: FU'D RO DAH!!!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

MilesK posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=165H_5jgE5g

I'm no programmer or game developer, but I rewatched this video and still believe he works on the SC physics code. Sure he only fixes the collision for a single item in a single spaceship while the Bugsmashers guy is figuring out why that item launches you into space.. but surely after 5 years he's come up with fixes for every error in the item/physics grid/skeletal code and falling through geometry is no longer a problem. If anyone more knowledgeable is reading this, is Chris' rambling "The next stage is ray tracing searches to detect the use of items fluidly and systematically" a real thing? I assume he's still talking about collisions. He starts laughing his rear end off as he goes into the limitless possibilities it can bring before quickly wrapping up the video.

How does the video of the code whisperer himself whispering to the code has only 65,214 views :eyepop:

Hammerstein posted:

Wow, their character models aren't aging well.

If they were aging well they would be seniors by now

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Meridian posted:

I'm more than excited .... I'm tane rubbing.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Meridian posted:

:same: , but I really hope they one day make a proper remaster of TIE Fighter

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

Dwesa posted:

Scott Manley received death threats after he made video criticizing Star Citizen. I can understand why OA doesn't want to irritate toxic cultists.

Sid Alpha got death threats and someone saying they were going to rape his daughter.

And the comments on a Street Roller youtube video turned my stomach: citizens rejoicing and making jokes about the dude being handicapped.

That's stuff you can't even laugh at; it's just upsetting to see people sink that low because of a loving video game.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Kosumo posted:

I'm more than excited .... I'm tane rubbing.

Kosumo, with lust on his mind

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Sarsapariller posted:

Wait a loving minute.

Holy poo poo, hahahaha

So many herringbone gears.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Scruffpuff posted:

The Internet was a mistake. In bygone days, village idiots were isolated in their respective villages, and the relative normalcy of their neighbors kept them in check. Today, the village idiots are one giant network of millions of village idiots, who can now mobilize as a united front, the result of which is that we're all pretty much hosed.

Reality TV shows and all who watch them, would disagree.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

trucutru posted:

I don't think it's fear of confrontation, but a deliberate business choice. Why antagonize people if what they are looking for is to hear that the game they are interested in is good?

Could be, but I think that decision comes from his probable inability to have proper confrontations and debated discussions. You can see how he engages in some discussions following his videos, and in the forums, I suspect his skin is thinner than Roberts. The guy would be bulldozed to bits if he ever attempted to enter that kind of discourse.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

yesterday i joined the mask farming discord and when someone fell through the world i jokingly said "it's just an alpha man its only been in development for 8 years"
this one guy got so tilted he muted me right away (announcing it, naturally) lol

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Inacio posted:

yesterday i joined the mask farming discord and when someone fell through the world i jokingly said "it's just an alpha man its only been in development for 8 years"
this one guy got so tilted he muted me right away (announcing it, naturally) lol

Development only started this year, when CIG cryrekt that lawsuit. Checkmate FUDster

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I figured it out. They want the variety of Eve, with the mechanics of Elite.

And Eve is an amazingly beautiful game, and you'd never guess it's 17 years old.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Jobs, Wozniak, and that other guy developed, built, and sold their brand-new computers within 4 years of starting. And they started, literally, from scratch.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

The ice cream and "leave me the gently caress alone" buttons need more than just a tier 0 experience.

So as a mighty man I have +80% resistance to the PMS debuff... So I may not be up to speed on the current meta of menstral game play

But surely not even the inferior woman class needs to go the toilet to Inspect for a blood puddles before they cast cotton wool dispel spells ?

Is ice cream the tier two dispel PMS?

Asking for a freind obviously...

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Nowher posted:

Montoya is such an unlikable rear end in a top hat.

If I had to choose between being stranded on a deserted island with Chris or Montoya I'd choose Chris ... Montoya is the Apex of obnoxious Asshats

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Comrad beet,

It seams the Kremlin has decided to give you one more chance, resorted the secrecy you have squandered.

Take note this was not free your qouta of freelancers has doubled.

Do not fail us again.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dynastocles posted:

Jobs, Wozniak, and that other guy developed, built, and sold their brand-new computers within 4 years of starting. And they started, literally, from scratch.

the concept of a computer already existed. Chris has had to literally conceive every single aspect of star citizen because none of it (nothing) has ever been thought of before, much less done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Inacio posted:

the concept of a computer already existed. Chris has had to literally conceive every single aspect of star citizen because none of it (nothing) has ever been thought of before, much less done

CIG also had to literally start from scratch. Chris took some rocks and started digging for some raw materials so they could build their own better computers on which they would develop store citizer. Don't ask where all those young developers came from