Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

And those rumors really haven't been based on anything, I don't know why they keep persisting. There's no major reason to release a new model right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I'm more interested in what direction they'll go with the next remote. And if it's a non-touch, can I buy it separately for my 4k.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you didn't know, you can use the old remote before they went touch. I like touch, but due to clumsiness I have a rubber shield around it and that does make doing the edge taps a bit more of a hassle.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

one day I’ll get the 10 sec forward/back within five tries

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

EL BROMANCE posted:

If you didn't know, you can use the old remote before they went touch. I like touch, but due to clumsiness I have a rubber shield around it and that does make doing the edge taps a bit more of a hassle.

I use a sideclick for similar reasons. The actual remote is kinda ... uh.. small? lovely?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

And those rumors really haven't been based on anything, I don't know why they keep persisting. There's no major reason to release a new model right now.

I can see them beefing up the processor if they really wanted to push big Apple Arcade titles hard on the aTV

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

jokes posted:

I use a sideclick for similar reasons. The actual remote is kinda ... uh.. small? lovely?

Apple has perfected a quantum technology that allows the user to pick up the remote in the wrong orientation 100% of the the time. I'll deliberately adjust my behvior and nope, somehow, still wrong the next time I pick it up. Remarkable!

Aside from that I actually kinda like the form factor of the existing remote. What sucks is the lack of mute button, while the pointless "TV" button glares at me with spite (I have it reassigned as a long press of the menu button, which is redundant but at least keeps my wife from opening the TV app by accident and having no idea what's going on).

The worst thing about the remote IMO is not actually Apple's fault... the touch pad is about 300% too sensitive when scrubbng in the YouTube TV app, since YT has their own lovely media control overlay that's different from everything else on the device. :(

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, does the skip back/forward gesture even work in the YouTube app?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

smackfu posted:

It does, unless the scrubbing controls are up. It’s obnoxious.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

smackfu posted:

it does, but it somehow requires a more precise input than other video players

somewhat surprisingly, using Siri to seek by specific time increments does work. So I've found myself using that function more often, since the YTTV scrubbing is so bad

ninja edit: realized you said YT and not YTTV. Not sure about straight-up YouTube now that you mention it. So many frustrating little UI decisiions. Like if you just had to pause first to enable scrub-seeking, that would be great. Instead it's, whoops grab the remote wrong and the hyper-sensitive media controls fling you 01:17:06 ahead

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
My last TV had a pretty good remote that actually worked on the iPhone via CEC but not so much with my new one. So now I just mainly use my phone.

YouTube app still seems to be built for another interface and barely works.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Apple remote is bad, but the Sideclick is the cheapest junk I've dealt with in a long time. Ever drop a remote? Better not make a habit of it otherwise you'll bet reassembling your Sideclick regularly.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I got one of those bright red silicone condoms for my Apple TV remote because a) I instantly know which side is the right side up and b) I can find the thing easily on a dark couch

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Endless Mike posted:

The Apple remote is bad, but the Sideclick is the cheapest junk I've dealt with in a long time. Ever drop a remote? Better not make a habit of it otherwise you'll bet reassembling your Sideclick regularly.

I have never had this problem with mine (yet).

I've been using my phone as a remote a lot more these days because I keep misplacing my remote and not giving enough of a poo poo to find it. Whoever, at apple, decided to let you use your phone as a remote loving rules.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I slapped the lightning-to-headphone-jack dongle that came with my iPhone 7 into my remotes lightning port and haven’t had a problem with orientation since.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

FCKGW posted:

I got one of those bright red silicone condoms for my Apple TV remote because a) I instantly know which side is the right side up and b) I can find the thing easily on a dark couch

Did the same, and also prevents it from shattering on the hardwood floor when we drop it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I love how auto update still doesn't work. Neither of my ATVs bothered to do 14, and also whatever the most current one is.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think there's opportunity to have a $99 ATV Stick. I'd definitely prefer having an ATV in my more lightly used / remote rooms of my house that doesn't justify a full ATV. I hate the FireTV sticks, even though I just bought one for $5 this week since I was using an ancient one that took forever to load.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah the regular Fire Stick is pretty naff these days and doesn't support the full codec range, the 4K one is far better. Still not perfect, but you can get them cheap enough that they make for good bedroom boxes. Not sure Apple are going to fight in that form factor, but not impossible.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My fire stick turned absolute rear end after like 6 months of software updates.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
For people using remote alternatives, I got a Sofabaton U1 when it was on sale as a cheap Logitech Harmony alternative and I'm pretty happy with it so far. As far as I can tell it's a garage project from some Chinese manufacturer (the manual even has spelling errors in it), but the remote itself is high quality and works pretty well for the basic purpose of controlling multiple devices, reassign buttons arbitrarily, and creating mixed profiles (e.g. assign volume buttons to device B while all the other buttons control device A).

In particular, for me it means I finally have volume control on my Sonos setup (optical input because no second ARC port) without having to juggle multiple remotes.

Edit: The same remote can also be set up for arbitrary Bluetooth keyboard/media button control with a bunch of devices.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 16, 2020

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Trying to install Steam Link and Hyper Light Drifter on my ATV 4K and the download button is just a spinning throbber. I was able to install Plex last night, anyone else having issues with the App Store?

Edit:
Logout and restart fixed it! Now I have an extra Apple TV listed in my phone remote so that sucks.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 16, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I cancelled my ATV+ free 1 yr last week because it was up for renewal end of the month. Now I get an email from Apple saying its extended for free until Feb. But looks like since i had already cancelled, I don't get the free extra period. Not a big deal, didn't really watch it much.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Oh god I’ve got that problem where the ATV shows up twice in the control center-based remote on my iPhone, but not in remote.app. Only one of the ATV’s listed is the correct one, the other just times out connecting.

How can I get rid of the wrong one? Or even all of them and then just start over?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Mahoning posted:

It does, unless the scrubbing controls are up. It’s obnoxious.

Ohhhh

Like god damnit lol it’s like it’s intentional

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Does anyone else have an issue in the YouTube app when the timeline/scrubbing controls are on the screen and you swipe up to hide them, the video stutters for just a second? It's insanely irritating and makes me not want to ever bring up the timeline. The worst part is the stutter doesn't happen if you do the same action in the pre-roll ads.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Euphoriaphone posted:

Does anyone else have an issue in the YouTube app when the timeline/scrubbing controls are on the screen and you swipe up to hide them, the video stutters for just a second? It's insanely irritating and makes me not want to ever bring up the timeline. The worst part is the stutter doesn't happen if you do the same action in the pre-roll ads.

Same for me yeah

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Euphoriaphone posted:

have an issue in the YouTube app

yes all the time

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

https://function101.com/products/button-remote-for-apple-tv

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I'm not a fan of the stock remote, but my problem with the alternatives is that none of them are RF. IR doesn't work well in my setup. None of them have Siri either.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

CygnusTM posted:

I'm not a fan of the stock remote, but my problem with the alternatives is that none of them are RF. IR doesn't work well in my setup. None of them have Siri either.

Yep. I thought about buying that Function remote, but it's IR. And they purposely made a remote for the ATV but didn't include a Home button. You have to long press the Menu button. Seems dumb to not include that if you're going to make a remote specifically.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You can also use the old silver Apple TV remote with the news ones. They cost $19 and have a home long-press.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

One of those cheap harmony smart controls works (if they still exist) and has the option to use either IR or Bluetooth.

e: I guess the closest one is the Harmony Companion now and it's more expensive because of the smarthome buttons on the remote.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My harmony remote is my primary for my AppleTV. Wish it had a microphone otherwise works fantastic. RF to the hub then IR to the ATV

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

FCKGW posted:

You can also use the old silver Apple TV remote with the news ones. They cost $19 and have a home long-press.

This one is also not RF, I think.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
In interesting news, ATV 4K will be able to stream Dolby Atmos directly to one or two HomePods (full size). Of course, this still leaves the big issue that there's no way for it to act as a passthrough for other devices, so you can't use it as a Sonos replacement or whatever.

CygnusTM posted:

The Sofabaton one I mentioned has both IR and Bluetooth modes.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Roadie posted:

In interesting news, ATV 4K will be able to stream Dolby Atmos directly to one or two HomePods (full size). Of course, this still leaves the big issue that there's no way for it to act as a passthrough for other devices, so you can't use it as a Sonos replacement or whatever.

TvOS14 broke my HomePods sync on my Apple TV HD so if it’s magically fixed this winter I’ll be happy. I won’t have Atmos but if there is a decent Apple TV upgrade this winter I’ll get it.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Roadie posted:

I have the Sofabaton. It does RF/Bluetooth to Fire TV, but not Apple TV.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

CygnusTM posted:

I have the Sofabaton. It does RF/Bluetooth to Fire TV, but not Apple TV.

Mine is set up for it right now. The Bluetooth mode for ATV is just hidden under the Bluetooth menu item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/apple-music-tv-launch-videos-1234809088/

This is kinda neat, I watch the little advertised MTV Classic in the background quite often and I like to think the amount of people who repeat the age-old mantra of 'I remember MTV when they showed music videos' will put their money time where their mouth is.