Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Crobear already wears black turtleneck in an attempt to emulate him. The rest will certainly appear on its own as a result of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow_Moe
Feb 18, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Crobear already wears black turtleneck in an attempt to emulate him. The rest will certainly appear on its own as a result of it.

It's a pity he doesn't really have the body shape for it. Instead he looks like a garbage sack full of yoghurt.

Incidently, that's how you could describe star citizer as well...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Viscous Soda posted:

Isn't there that stupid Murry cup thingie?

Oh that's true. I hadn't really thought of that because it's 1 track and hasn't seen an update in 5 or 6 years now. I should also add that there were races in the actual game- but only for one specific ground vehicle at a time, and you had to spawn the vehicle/load the vehicle/fly the vehicle to the start line before the race expired, and ALSO someone else had to do this as well or the race would never start, so naturally nobody ever actually did a ground vehicle race. I think they've been taken out, since then.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

Another example is ships thrusters.
Ships in Star Citizen (and SQ42) have directional thrusters that output forces which cause the ship to move. In many games, your control inputs would cause the ship to move, and animations will play to correspond. In Star Citizen your control inputs cause thrusters to fire which cause the ship to move.

This has direct impacts on how different ships feel in the universe, how they perform in atmosphere vs space, and even better, how damage affects ships. Each individual thruster on a ship is a separate game entity with it's own states and they can individually be damaged, causing them to fail, which directly changes how a ship handles.

Another, another example is that one exists in a playable state the other only exists in our eroticized dreams!

monkeytek fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 15, 2020

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

https://ogn.theonion.com/gamers-we-need-to-come-clean-cyberpunk-2077-is-just-1845368691

"Unfortunately, we also aren’t able to refund any of your pre-orders. That money is already spent."

Replace Cyberpunk 2077 with Star Citizen and I think this is a future Letter from the Chairman.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Slow_Moe posted:

It's a pity he doesn't really have the body shape for it. Instead he looks like a garbage sack full of yoghurt.

:lol:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

quote:

SQ42 isn't reinventing the wheel.

They are. Maybe not in all aspects, but they are building a game that is doing things you might recognize, but in unrecognizable ways.

They are building things more complex than any sane studio would do, because no other studio would make those choices because it would take too long and those providing them money wouldn't wait that long for a return on their investment.

CIG have the luxury of being able to take a very, very long time thanks to the backers.

You might enjoy reading the old "The Shipyard" posts like https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/16179-The-Shipyard-Ship-Thrusters-And-You

They aren't perfectly up to date, but they might give you some insight into how they are building incredibly complex systems that will act on each other to cause gameplay to emerge without having been specifically built for.

For example, take their "pipes" they build into ships: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/52xkvtfk898oxr/post/Systems_table_2.png

These pipes are used for a ship to internally communicate with itself. In a normal game, your shields display on your HUD because a programmer set up your HUD to have an animation around a number saved somewhere in your ships representation in the code. When your shields take damage, that number changes and the HUD updates. This is "normal" and a totally fine way to make a game.
In SC and SQ42 instead, some programmer set it up so that when your shields take damage, they output that data to the "Info" pipe. The HUD is paying attention to the "Info" pipe and sees the data change, so it displays differently.
At first glance this actually feels like more work for the same result.
However, here is what sets it apart. In the completed game, that "Info" pipe will have a physical representation inside your ship. An enemy is using ballistic weapons which can penetrate shields and armor to a small degree. They hit the same area of your ship 20 times causing some bullets to pierce through and hit the "Info" pipe right where it connects to your shield generator. Now the shield can't put it's information on the "Info" pipe, so your shields on your HUD disappear. You still have shields, but you have no idea what their current state is and have to play differently.

Now maybe the shape of your ship means that the Coolers were behind the Shield generator on that Info pipe, so even though the damage was near the Shield generator, now you also can't see that your overheating. But maybe a different ship is built more robustly and doesn't have that problem.

Now take those same ideas and expand that complexity to Shields, Coolers, Thrusters, Weapons, Power Plants, Engines, ship mass (i.e. how loaded with cargo), component layout (i.e. ship mass is toward the front, huge engine is at the back, you lose vertical thrusters and now your big engine will cause you to tip head-over-heels if you punch it too hard), etc. etc.

People talk about how other games are comparable to Star Citizen, without any understanding of what CIG is actually trying to build here. I dare you to find a game with that level of detail, that also looks this good and also covers as vast of playable area. You won't.

edit
I just invented a gameplay loop using those pre-existing systems, because this book wasn't long enough already. CIG already have "hacking chips" in the game. They can add one with a transmitter. Now I sneak onto your Idris and get to your engineering section because I know the Info pipe runs near a bulkhead on an Idris. I stick that hacking chip to the wall in a hidden place and sneak off your ship. Now I have your ships full Info pipe transmitted to me. I know the state of your shields, your ammo count, how overheated you are, what cargo is onboard, what players are on your ship, whether your turrets are powered up, what components you have in every damned thing, etc.
That's a possible gameplay loop that could be created in the future, using systems CIG are intentionally built to allow for future complex changes.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

This is the only way to "play" Star Citizer.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Sarsapariller posted:

I can answer that!

Interdiction: There is nothing to interdict in the game
Racing: There are no races in the game
Pathfinder: There is nothing to scout or otherwise mark in the game
Scout: Nope, still nothing
Recon: It is a ground vehicle for scouting and there is no scouting no matter how many ways you write it
Passenger: There are no passengers in the game
Exploration: There is nothing to discover in the game
Medium Data: There is no data to transport in the game
Light Science: There is no science mechanic in the game
Dropship: There is nothing to ship or drop in the game
Support-Medical: You have a bed in your ship and people can respawn at it. That's it- seriously.
Reporting: There is no reporting in the game
Search & Rescue: There is no searching and no rescuing in the game
Salvage: There is no salvage in the game
Medium Repair/Refuel: There is no repairing or refueling in the game.
Heavy Refueling: There is no heavy refueling in the game
Heavy Repair: Guess what
Heavy Science: You bought a space telescope and farm, congrats
Mining: You can mine with this ship and ONLY with this ship. It costs 150 dollars to start.
Heavy Construction: There is no construction in the game
Transport: You can carry boxes
Heavy Lifting: It is a Transport
Heavy Military Lifting: It is a Transport but Green
Cargo: You can carry boxes on the ground
Light Freight: You can carry boxes in space
Medium Freight: Best loving ship in the game, by which I mean you can carry boxes
Heavy Freight: You can carry a lot of boxes
Blockade Runner: There are no blockades in the game. You can carry some boxes, instead.
Touring: You can carry boxes but it looks like a yacht and costs 1,000 dollars
Combat: It is a ground vehicle with a gun in a game that spreads 50 players across 20 planets and 50 billion miles of space. The gun has a range of 20 meters.
Heavy Tank: It is a ground vehicle with a gun etc etc but this time it's very slow
Anti-Air: It is a ground vehicle and this time the gun is designed to shoot at space ships but you won't see any space ships.
Tugging: It is for masturbation
Snub Fighter: It is the shittiest fighter and cannot fly farther than the spawn point
Light Fighter: It is a lovely fighter and costs the least
Medium Fighter: It is a so-so fighter that punches at exactly its weight and no higher and coincidentally costs 100 dollars or more
Stealth Fighter: There is no stealth in this game
Gunship: Now you're in the 175 dollar range. Punches above its weight.
Heavy Fighter: Ah, I see you have finally paid to win. Congratulations.
Heavy Gunship: Okay there's such a thing as paying too much to win. You crossed the line around 500 dollars ago.
Electronic Warfare: Doesn't do anything
Minelayer: Doesn't do anything
Corvette: Isn't even in the game
Frigate: Like a Corvette, but even more not-in-the-game
Multi-role Light Carrier: The most not-in-the-game you can ever be
Destroyer: More not-in-the-game than the Carrier, somehow
Light Bomber: It costs 165 dollars and they haven't updated it in about 5 years, it does nothing
Heavy Bomber: There is nothing to bomb in this game. It can fire missiles at ships. The missiles do not work.
Starter: It is poo poo.

lol forever.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Mirificus posted:

They aren't perfectly up to date, but they might give you some insight into how they are building incredibly complex systems that will act on each other to cause gameplay to emerge without having been specifically built for.

For example, take their "pipes" they build into ships: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/media/52xkvtfk898oxr/post/Systems_table_2.png

These pipes are used for a ship to internally communicate with itself. In a normal game, your shields display on your HUD because a programmer set up your HUD to have an animation around a number saved somewhere in your ships representation in the code. When your shields take damage, that number changes and the HUD updates. This is "normal" and a totally fine way to make a game.
In SC and SQ42 instead, some programmer set it up so that when your shields take damage, they output that data to the "Info" pipe. The HUD is paying attention to the "Info" pipe and sees the data change, so it displays differently.
At first glance this actually feels like more work for the same result.
However, here is what sets it apart. In the completed game, that "Info" pipe will have a physical representation inside your ship. An enemy is using ballistic weapons which can penetrate shields and armor to a small degree. They hit the same area of your ship 20 times causing some bullets to pierce through and hit the "Info" pipe right where it connects to your shield generator. Now the shield can't put it's information on the "Info" pipe, so your shields on your HUD disappear. You still have shields, but you have no idea what their current state is and have to play differently.

just loving lol

dynamic
centralized
database

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
They should just make a Star Citizen tabletop rpg. They could still sell JPEGs, miniatures and on top of that the game would actually work like you tell it to.

That or mobile gacha.

Hire me Chris.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Oct 15, 2020

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
What about the physical joystick they have been producing for the past 5 years but yet not delivered.

And how's the FOIP integrated camera going.

Also where is Theaters of War

And the AMD letter

Tickler in Black.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

holy gently caress a companion mobile star citizen gacha app would be amazing.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

phosdex posted:

just loving lol

dynamic
centralized
database

What? You have something against static dispersed database?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

WaltherFeng posted:

They should just make a Star Citizen tabletop rpg. They could still sell JPEGs, miniatures and on top of that the game would actually work like you tell it to.

That or mobile gacha.

Hire me Chris.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/citizen-spotlight/13425-Star-Citizen-Board-Game-Brettspiel-Deutsch-Englisch

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1050622/wip-star-citizen-boardgame

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5f51aj/fanmade_star_citizen_boardgame/

Also there was a kickstarter from the actual team at one point that was some kind of lovely space board game but I can't remember the name of it now

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

That or mobile gacha.

Hire me Chris.

Gotcha covered for tabletop gaming https://ttcombat.com/collections/dropfleet-commander

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

The information about how the simulated population of the PU is represented goes back over years, it is very dense and tends to use quite a bit of technical jargon... for example that word 'instantiated' might seem like a slightly made up word to say 'instanced, or put in place' etc, but it isn't, it has an actual meaning in computer science. It's when one part of a representation of a game asset or phenomenon is handled by one system when it is merely virtually simulated and then transferred to another game system when it becomes a possible player encounter. The player does not see this transfer take place. Game designers have spent decades learning how to 'fake' things that the player sees or experiences, NPC scripting is a part of this fakery. Scripts are triggered by what the players do and where they are, but they cannot change. If you go to Whiterun you will see Heimskr sometimes, but he will always be in Whiterun and his behaviour won't change. If you go to the market you will see NPC's and they will have dialogue and actions t perform, if however you are wearing an Amulet of Marra you will have a different script running for that NPC interaction. It's faked to look like the NPC has choice and autonomy, when they don't. The same in Mass Effect etc, if you hit the right dialogue tree options then the character interaction script options change. It's not dynamic, it's faked. The difference is that Chris Roberts will always take the opportunity to not fake it if he possibly can.

In Star Citizen the NPC's (both AI and Quantum) can change, they have personality traits and goals which can be affected by events, environment and player interactions. The Quantum system tells the AI NPC probability controller whether a player is likely to encounter an NPC at a particular location and time, and what type of NPC they will likely encounter. Once spawned the AI system takes control and the player interaction also governs what happens to that NPC, they may go 'out of sight' and back into the Quantum system, or they may persist with the player for as long as the player continues that relationship.

It is also not necessarily 'things' that are instantiated it could be a change in a condition. For example an NPC is a shop vendor that you encounter regularly since you have a home nearby where (s)he works. As they build up a r record of interaction with you the possibility of them changing roles begins to emerge the game system dynamically changes the options for that AI NPC according to the amount of player contact they have. You may get the opportunity to ask them to accompany you wherever you go, they then leave their job and have completely different set of goals from now on. If you then decide to part ways, the NPC will go off and find other things to do according to the environmental influences that exist at the time... but they have a record of what happened which stays with them even if they become 'virtual again', if you go to a place where they are 'virtually', there is a chance you will meet them again and they will remember you.

Will there be an exact ratio of 9:1 NPC's to a player wherever they go? Not necessarily, it depends upon the local environmental conditions. If 50 players go out into deep space, then the likely ratio to NPC to players will be near 0:1 for the majority of the time, but if those players now choose to go to an abandoned area where the economy has run down according to local conditions or lore then it wouldn't be appropriate to 'instantiate' 450 NPC's in a place that is supposed to be virtually deserted. So you may get a 1:1 ratio or perhaps 2:1 ratio. Now let's say that one of the group of 50 decides to go off to TEASA Spaceport, he's the only live player in there - it's supposed to be a busy bustling spaceport, they won't put in 9 NPC's just to maintain a strict 9:1 ratio - they'll put in whatever seems appropriate to the environment.

To answer your question specifically with the above in mind, if 100K player congregate in one area in the game (extremely unlikely and in a lot of places not even possible due to physical space constraints) then the NPC:PC ratio would be appropriate to the local conditions for that place. In your mind you are now thinking, well if 100K players turn up at TEASA Spaceport that's a huge number of NPC's in a small geographic region - but TEASA Spaceport couldn't physically hold 100K players, so it's not going to happen. The vendors will be there, the maintenance personnel, the security checkpoint guards and the mission giver NPC's will be there no matter how many PC's there are.

This 'environment appropriate' population is unique, most games simply have scripted events and that includes where NPC's are placed and what their actions are. Star Citizen NPC's (AI controlled) will be location and environment aware they have goals and personalities - they have homes, jobs and a 24 hours life cycle which includes places they like to hang out after work and which 'friends' they hang out with, if one area is far too crowded they will avoid it. If a place becomes run down or crime ridden, they will leave and go somewhere else. The quantum system merely deals with what the local environment 'should' look like according to the economic drivers and local conditions, the AI controllers take this into account when deciding which NPC's, and how many, to spawn in an area. The game server will also take into account how many players are in that area and they become part of the 'local population calculation' for the time they are present. They have told us that the Quantum system can handle up to 2 million virtual NPC's. If these were simple scripts then there would be no limit, the fact that there is a limit tells us that even Quanta have data to manage not simply a static database of scripts to draw from when an event is triggered.

One thing that Star Citizen does that is not usual practise is to layer simple variables and systems so that the possible numbers of variations become infinite. The DNA tech to create an infinite number of unique looking NPC's for example and also the reputation system. There is no game that has ever been created that has the possibility that you will meet an NPC and know that no other human has ever seen this face before, not even the developers who made the game and now that you have met him/her, every other player will now see that face - only on that NPC. This means they can do things that no other game does like have NPC's that live, grow old and die and you'll never see them again. When a player or NPC kills an NPC that NPC is gone, it will not respawn AND the record of that kill stays on the NPC's or players historical record which is a part of the reputation system. You may encounter NPC's who were once friends to other players but now have moved on. NPC's can be dynamic, the player interaction with the NPC can change the goals, skill levels and personality of that NPC.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
edit: what are the chances of getting a ps5 this xmas? Is it gonna be easy or what?

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Oct 15, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mirificus posted:

One thing that Star Citizen does that is not usual practise is to layer simple variables and systems so that the possible numbers of variations become infinite. The DNA tech to create an infinite number of unique looking NPC's for example and also the reputation system. There is no game that has ever been created that has the possibility that you will meet an NPC and know that no other human has ever seen this face before, not even the developers who made the game and now that you have met him/her, every other player will now see that face - only on that NPC. This means they can do things that no other game does like have NPC's that live, grow old and die and you'll never see them again. When a player or NPC kills an NPC that NPC is gone, it will not respawn AND the record of that kill stays on the NPC's or players historical record which is a part of the reputation system. You may encounter NPC's who were once friends to other players but now have moved on. NPC's can be dynamic, the player interaction with the NPC can change the goals, skill levels and personality of that NPC.

One thing that Star Citizen does that is not usual... is the thing behind pretty much every single video game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

edit: what are the chances of getting a ps5 this xmas? Is it gonna be easy or what?

Most likely impossible. Sony massively over reported how many PS5's they would have available for pre-order as is.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Mirificus posted:

for example that word 'instantiated' might seem like a slightly made up word to say 'instanced, or put in place' etc, but it isn't, it has an actual meaning in computer science. It's when one part of a representation of a game asset or phenomenon is handled by one system when it is merely virtually simulated and then transferred to another game system when it becomes a possible player encounter.

That's not what the word "instantiated" means in computer science or any other context.

Citizens have this weird obsession with the idea of video games "faking" everything. You cannot perfectly represent real life with a computer, everything is "faked". Like at what arbitrary point do you consider something no longer being "faked"? Star Citizen doesn't model electrons orbiting a nucleus, sounds pretty fake to me!

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 15, 2020

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

I said come in! posted:

Most likely impossible. Sony massively over reported how many PS5's they would have available for pre-order as is.

ooh bummer, was hoping it would all be ok by xmas :(

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Popete posted:

That's not what the word "instantiated" means in computer science or any other context.

Citizens have this weird obsession with the idea of video games "faking" everything. You cannot perfectly represent real life with a computer, everything is "faked". Like at what arbitrary point do you consider something no longer being "faked"? Star Citizen doesn't model electrons orbiting a nucleus, sounds pretty fake to me!

In the last 500 years, the Fourth Stimpire has dominated four systems, which it has united into one starzone, Stimsis. The Fourth Stimpire has origins from the Ten Empire War in which 10 of the United Stimpires revolted against each rules. All empires except for the fourth swore freedom upon their citizens. There is no free speech in the Fourth Stimpire, and all self-controlled transportation has been made illegal without undergoing painful medical verification methods, in which arteries are severed without pain resistant, operated entirely by machines. The way they work claim to be the most hygenic and healthy way possible, but these machines often rub against pain points, causing great deals of pain to patients. The heart is then extracted from the body and placed into a glass grinding machine. Various energy centers are also dissected and replaced with dangerous transplants. After the painful, 52 hour surgical procedure, patients will then have to use a fused guidance tool, which pumps painful resistors into the body every 2 hours. The pain they have caused is so bad, the victim would freeze in a tense position. They would then collapse afterwards.

Sexual stimulation in any way within the grounds of the Fourth Stimpire is strictly prohibited, and anyone detected even touching their sexual organs will be subjected to a penectomy or if the offender was a female, they would then have a razor inserted into their ovaries. They would pump a blue solution into the womb until the stitchings burst. Offenders would also be forced to show their operated areas in public, and they would always harass and punch them to a pulp, against their will.

Otherwise, offenders would be tazed with the worst type of electricity in the systematic district, causing so much pain, the victim would scream and flail in madness. The pain would also triple every second, but no death would be incurred. This is also used in combat against enemy units, which is why all UEE forces must wear the upgraded suit to block this effect.

However, enertainment is also questionable in UEE grounds. Sporting events end with the losing team being rounded into a grinder and shredded on live television, boxing matches end with the loser having their hands removed without anasthesia, flight races would end with the losers having their arms and legs removed, then being injected with insanity, for entertainment. People are also forced into these events, by undergoing a painful 127 hour procedure which involves tweaking the muscles so they will not listen to brain commands, and then having a painful drug injected which also causes madness if the player is not sporting. This is all for entertainment, and anyone not watching any of it during sporting times and cheering for the winning team, they will be imprisoned into galactic camps.

Snuff films are also broadcast, and actors are actually murdered just for entertainment. Stealth droids also guide these forced actors into behaving exactly as the director dreams, otherwise they will be punished by being placed into a macerator and having their execution written into the film. Any film that does not feature someone being murdered will be burned and the entire crew behind it will be executed in the most grotesque way possible - vivisection.

All executions are broadcast, and anyone who misses even a millisecond, even by blinking, will be executed. All citizens must boo to the person being executed, and the family is gathered to be injected with eternators, which cause pain forever, making them immoral but feeling the pain tenfold every millisecond. They cannot pass out, but they will feel like it forever.

Conquests by this Stimpire end in the planet being razed, and all the citizens being executed in the same way as their citizens are. The planet is then destroyed and all remnants of it are removed, and any memories of it will be erased instantly from civil minds. People who are also killed are also erased from memories, and all memories of them, including toys and pictures, are destroyed.

Prisoners undergo 40,000 years of relentless and endless labor, and anyone not complying is sentenced to the eternator injection. All prisoners injected with eternators are placed into capsules and launched into far space, then the room is closed tight to ensure maximum insanity. Some prisoners are also subjected to the removal of blood, the lungs, the liver, the genitals, the skeleton, the muscles, the eyes, and even the injection of pressure. Prisoners sentenced to pressure chambers are locked in until they are inflated to a high level. The decompression is then stopped to make sure they are inflated and uncomfortable.

Children born on the 14th of July are subjected to the removal of their skeleton and an implant of a silver liquid to replace it. The nervous sysem is also injected in various parts to ensure it is five times more sensitive than the average.

Restaurants also are ordered to serve civil meat, and anyone attending must give themself up to be cooked into a grotesque meal. They are cooked alive, undergoing extreme pain, and are then subjected to industrial grinders and blenders. The Stimpire orders at least 1 million citizens to be dispatched every day, as they are afraid the population may overthrow them. But only one planet is cared for, and the rest are banned from eating, drinking, talking, using technology, touching anyone, wearing unauthorized clothes, touching buildings, or walking a centimeter out of designated routes. Civil enforcers are on every planet, and they are engineered so that they are 40 times larger than the 300 quadrillion population. At least 7 billion die every 12 hours under this rule.

Thoughts are also surveyed, and anyone who does not think anything to loving the Stimpire with more than their capabilities will be sentenced to a prison. Prisoners who are punished for this violation will meet their greatest fear, only to have it amplified so they will turn insane as they imagine it exactly as they fear it. They then undergo a painful extraction of all fluids, to be replaced by a toxin which causes permanent irritation. The unknown substance keeps the subject aging normally, except they will never die. Prisoners punished in this way are unable to be reverted, despite many efforts, and they will never be able to be disposed.

The sickening truths have been revealed only today, and invigilation teams are still investigating the truths without setting foot in the galactic space of this sickening empire.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Literally none of this is in game or ever will be.
the DNA system will just be a random character creator and the AI will be simple scripts

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/193577/star-traders

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Is that not the one that ended up in trouble because Ryan Archer had been up to his old tricks but the old guy who designed the game wouldn't believe it and doubled down on the old "you don't know what you're talking about" defence?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

He just needed to tell everybody he was a developer first. :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Is that not the one that ended up in trouble because Ryan Archer had been up to his old tricks but the old guy who designed the game wouldn't believe it and doubled down on the old "you don't know what you're talking about" defence?

From the reviews section:

quote:

The artist Ryan Archer plagiarised other artists and passed the work off as his own. The designer David Ladyman ignored all the evidence and defended Archer. Even when another artist was brought on board to "help" with the project (read replace all the ripped off work) there was no admission of error.

I loved that period of time, so many imbeciles

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

peter gabriel posted:

Literally none of this is in game or ever will be.
the DNA system will just be a random character creator and the AI will be simple scripts

No, you see, if you're married to a npc and your character has a cleft chin but your son doesn't that means that the npc has been quantum-cheating on you (due to the 9-to-1 ratio) so you can bring her to space court and get all her ships!

peter gabriel posted:

From the reviews section:

I loved that period of time, so many imbeciles

To be fair it did cause Archer to stop doing "art" (as Ryan Archer) so it was a win

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 15, 2020

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

phosdex posted:

https://ogn.theonion.com/gamers-we-need-to-come-clean-cyberpunk-2077-is-just-1845368691

"Unfortunately, we also aren’t able to refund any of your pre-orders. That money is already spent."

Replace Cyberpunk 2077 with Star Citizen and I think this is a future Letter from the Chairman.

You also need to remove the sentence: "Obviously, we’re not trying to absolve ourselves of this." :trustme:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

How's Starn Cytizun doing?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Ryan "Copy in Photoshop" Archer was a great period.

I think he also originated the Sandi "Stolen from the movie Stealth" standup cardboard cutout.

He even provided an artists interpretation using different photoshop filters how he "drew it from hand" or something.

I can't even find the cutout anymore. But I did see the showroom one with her in the black dress that was just another art asset with her head photoshopped on it.

The really weird part about all that stuff is that she was a model, so I don't know why they didn't just have her do the thing instead of steal 123rf pictures and photoshop her onto it.

Equally fun stuff on "where did the money all go?!":
https://gameranx.com/updates/id/65872/article/star-citizens-squadron-42-to-appear-in-reality-show-2/

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalPenny posted:

So as a mighty man I have +80% resistance to the PMS debuff... So I may not be up to speed on the current meta of menstral game play

But surely not even the inferior woman class needs to go the toilet to Inspect for a blood puddles before they cast cotton wool dispel spells ?

Is ice cream the tier two dispel PMS?

Asking for a freind obviously...

I want to respond to you in a snarky and comical manner but I'm really not sure how yet. So consider this an iou for a future snarky comment. Maybe some other girl can come up with something super clever. :downs:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

TheAgent posted:

and where the gently caress is erin roberts lol

okay I see things are going swimmingly

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Where's Waldo: Star Citizen edition

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure you could put erin and ben side by side and I'd have a really hard time picking out who is who at this point

erin's been trying to out stress-eat and out stress-drink me, which is loving saying something

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I drank like two bottles of wine and slammed a box of donuts a couple of weeks back

maybe that should be the "theagent challenge": you get super drunk and sick on donuts and then try to tell everyone during the debates how trump is like chris roberts, oh, you haven't heard of star citizen?, let me tell you about it as you roll your fuckin eyes at me and HEY I'm speaking, why are you trying to watch politics this is STAR CITIZEN and its funny, well, not now, but like, it will be funny, I mean, its funny if you are into video games which you aren't at all, BUT IF YOU WERE you'd totally be laughing with me and not looking at me like some fat pathetic drunk who can't shut the gently caress up about STAR CITIZEN

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Mirificus posted:

quote:

for example that word 'instantiated' might seem like a slightly made up word to say 'instanced, or put in place' etc, but it isn't, it has an actual meaning in computer science. It's when one part of a representation of a game asset or phenomenon is handled by one system when it is merely virtually simulated and then transferred to another game system when it becomes a possible player encounter.

What in the actual gently caress is this person talking about?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

if i remember correctly they did kick ryan archer out and some of art got remade.

:ohdear: cheating in star citizen? :ohdear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTUXEIKI9Jc

my favorite bit is the comments where they wonder if its developer going around making players miserable :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dark Off posted:

:ohdear: cheating in star citizen? :ohdear:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTUXEIKI9Jc

my favorite bit is the comments where they wonder if its developer going around making players miserable :allears:

I mean it's CryEngine and it's entirely cobbled together, there's no way they will ever have any cheat detection, ninety percent of the game is client authoritative. This was inevitable. What astonishes me is that ever since ship purchasing was implemented a year or whatever ago, there has only been one economy-breaking dupe glitch. I keep expecting more to drop just due to economic pressure but I guess the population of this game is so miniscule that not enough edge cases are being hit.