Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

fuf posted:

Henry??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC0WhJfW0XI&t=3635s

I am still worried about the quality of the voice acting tbh

the "speak english but with a dodgy accent" thing kind of worked in Origins and Odyssey because they all had fun, sing-songy voices. But here it's like every single character is doing the same monotonous, gruff ~viking voice~

oh well

The Dane's seem to be having a bit of fun, I'm not looking forward to the Anglo-Saxon voice acting, especially if its just the normal limited range of video game English accents where the only options are posh or Wurzels drop out. With the different kingdoms they could of really commited to regional accents, had everyone from Mercia sound like a brummie, but I doubt it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

They added a bunch of accessibility options right down to making assassinations one hit kills again.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I think this is a new interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phx_hZnq0K4

Real interesting stuff, game sounds huge again (I really hope it's not as bloated as Odyssey got though, the new quest system SEEMS like it'd fix that, though). My biggest thing to hear was there's ~30ish assassination missions each basically part of this version of the cult storyline, all having their own 'confession scene' of various lengths depending on how 'important' the character is. Those are, unsurprisingly, some of my favorite things in this game about being a magic historical assassin, so I'm quite eager for them!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well that's getting turned on first thing lol

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

That all sounds great. Wish all games had such granularity in accessibility options...honestly that cements the purchase for me.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Yup, just pre-ordered the Gold Edition after reading this.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

ilitarist posted:

In Odyssey I remember meeting high level mercenaries out of my league just wandering the world, plotting their demise so that I can get higher rank and associated boosts. You can hire mercenaries you like and then summon them. Some of them are story characters involved in quests. Some have unique artifacts. They are the main counterweight to taking fortresses head on: even if you don't cause an alarm a longer fight will attract mercs.

There are like, two of them involved in quests in the sense that someone tells you 'hey this mercenary us a bad guy watch out!' you don't actually speak to them or engage with them beyond that. You also don't engage with them after hiring them, and they mostly have randomized loot same as any fortress captain/etc. But I think the reason you don't see this as a bad thing is because....

ilitarist posted:

Origins and Odyssey really want an average Joe to have fun exploring and engaging with gameplay systems. For me Odyssey had ~150 of good content and most of it was emergent gameplay not connected to goofy quests with bad writing many of which I'd rather replace with unambitious "kill 5 Athenian archers" randomly generated quests.

See, I disagree with this. Origins has a few lame sidequests but for the most part they're pretty lovingly crafted and tie into the narrative. Odyssey has a few too but much fewer and far between, and the fact that you conflate them with the 'kill five archers' bullshit shows they kinda hosed up? Like why even add a mercenary system and a region conquest system and a recruitment system when narratively they have less relevance than that one time Bayek helped find a cat and then starred in a play?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Wolfsheim posted:

See, I disagree with this. Origins has a few lame sidequests but for the most part they're pretty lovingly crafted and tie into the narrative. Odyssey has a few too but much fewer and far between, and the fact that you conflate them with the 'kill five archers' bullshit shows they kinda hosed up? Like why even add a mercenary system and a region conquest system and a recruitment system when narratively they have less relevance than that one time Bayek helped find a cat and then starred in a play?

Origins stories might be somewhat better than Odyssey, but both of those games have awful stories compared to any book or a movie I'd spend more than a 10 minutes on. But no book or movie can give me Odyssey gameplay. So I'd prefer simpler unintrusive lighthearted quests of Odyssey as long as the writing is not offensive. Even if Origins has cool individual cutscenes its plot is much more separated from the game. Bayek is an inconsistent character: all the good cutscenes showing off facial animation tell you he's determined avenger who only thinks about his dead son. But then right before the final showdown he doesn't have enough level so the story basically requires him budding up with some Roman architect. In Odyssey your character doesn't have an urgent mission and he might not actually be into this whole family business that much, the plot actually works for the kind of game I'm playing.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Oct 15, 2020

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Origins narrative is told almost entirely over the course of two cutscenes. Bayek kills some dudes and Aya shows up to make the plot happen, Bayek kills some more dudes and Aya shows up again to make the plot happen. The end. You can see where Aya was originally planned to have a much larger role in the story because it's absolutely bizarre how little screen time she gets for actually establishing the whole Assassins thing.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

The Origins narrative is told almost entirely over the course of two cutscenes. Bayek kills some dudes and Aya shows up to make the plot happen, Bayek kills some more dudes and Aya shows up again to make the plot happen. The end. You can see where Aya was originally planned to have a much larger role in the story because it's absolutely bizarre how little screen time she gets for actually establishing the whole Assassins thing.

Without looking it up, name any of the original members of the Brotherhood in Origins other than Bayek and Aya. There are four.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

...Julius Caesar?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

I think there was that crocodile lady who kept giving quests to me, the biggest crocodile poacher in Egypt

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The dual protagonists of Origins was handled incredibly poorly. Having one guy move rocks for 95% percent, and then have a lady push a boulder in the last 5% leads to an uneven experience.

Yakuza 0 did best with two equal main characters that get 50-50 playtime. I never finished Syndicate because it's so hard to give a poo poo about that game.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Oct 15, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

I think there was that crocodile lady who kept giving quests to me, the biggest crocodile poacher in Egypt

Crocodile lady is one, yes. You remember her because you meet her twice, unlike the others.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Eimi posted:

Nah she's the lady in the Mykonos questchain where her father is an rear end in a top hat cultist and she's orchestrating a rebellion and you help her out and then if you romance her, the response the ending is basically "Hey I have to go fight the rest of this cult but I'll come back if I can" and then you sail into the sunset and were never seen or heard from again.

For me the ending was that she was super angry at me and never wanting to met see me again for killing a guy in a duel.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 15, 2020

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The dual protagonists of Origins was handled incredibly poorly. Having one guy move rocks for 95% percent, and then have a lady push a boulder in the last 5% leads to an uneven experience.

Yakuza 0 did best with two equal main characters that get 50-50 playtime. I never finished Syndicate because it's so hard to give a poo poo about that game.

See, I appreciated this because of the implication that Bayek is a little bit of a rube who will stop to help every wayward person he meets, whereas Aya doesn't give a poo poo and is just doing all the heavy political maneuvering behind the scenes. The fact that they were both being played anyway and almost inadvertently started a centuries-long assassin cabal in the process of getting revenge is great. But then I don't think Origins is really about having dual protagonists so much as just going "wouldn't it be cool to be Aya for these few brief scenes" so comparing it to one of the greatest games of this generation with two excellent protagonists seems a bit unfair!

I feel like Odyssey tried to have it both ways by making the PC a good-hearted dupe when needed then a cold-hearted calculating mercenary when needed. It was like they wanted to have both the standard AC protagonist sometimes but a blank slate Elder Scrolls protagonist the rest of the time and never really tried to reconcile the two, if that makes sense.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Neytiri and the bald priest with never-explained scar who dresses like a Flinstone.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Kuiperdolin posted:

Neytiri and the bald priest with never-explained scar who dresses like a Flinstone.

Origins rules and it doesn't not-rule because you can't remember any of the characters who they decide are important at the very end of the game. That game is about a man's journey across the desert trying to avenge his dead son and watches his marriage fall apart but he finds greater purpose in being Egyptian Sheriff guy. Bayek experiences an actual emotional journey.

Kassandra just like, wants to find her family? And then I guess get revenge for what the cult did to her family? it's been done a million times in video games and it's still contrived

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Kassandra wants to get her money, reconnect with her mom, and gently caress around. Big same.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Alchenar posted:

Without looking it up, name any of the original members of the Brotherhood in Origins other than Bayek and Aya. There are four.

its her cousin the playwrite and that one priest friend i think. probably that mom whos kid got drowned.

Sandwolf posted:

Origins rules and it doesn't not-rule because you can't remember any of the characters who they decide are important at the very end of the game. That game is about a man's journey across the desert trying to avenge his dead son and watches his marriage fall apart but he finds greater purpose in being Egyptian Sheriff guy. Bayek experiences an actual emotional journey.

Kassandra just like, wants to find her family? And then I guess get revenge for what the cult did to her family? it's been done a million times in video games and it's still contrived

yeah. i think both have weak main stories but they nail the overall theme?/feel? with the main thrust of the game. like with kassandra/alyxios, i got the full mythic greek hero fantasy mixed with the weird humor and tragedy that you can create with your actions. your basically Herakles loving and fighting your way through greece uncaring about politics outside family/friends and money.

with bayek its basicaly an honorable man out of time and him and his wife trying to avenge their sons in their own ways and slowly separating because of it. what you said basicaly.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

See, I appreciated this because of the implication that Bayek is a little bit of a rube who will stop to help every wayward person he meets, whereas Aya doesn't give a poo poo and is just doing all the heavy political maneuvering behind the scenes. The fact that they were both being played anyway and almost inadvertently started a centuries-long assassin cabal in the process of getting revenge is great. But then I don't think Origins is really about having dual protagonists so much as just going "wouldn't it be cool to be Aya for these few brief scenes" so comparing it to one of the greatest games of this generation with two excellent protagonists seems a bit unfair!

I feel like Odyssey tried to have it both ways by making the PC a good-hearted dupe when needed then a cold-hearted calculating mercenary when needed. It was like they wanted to have both the standard AC protagonist sometimes but a blank slate Elder Scrolls protagonist the rest of the time and never really tried to reconcile the two, if that makes sense.

yeah. it sucks that the dickhead sex pest super overall manager shot aya getting a bigger role but both bayek and her had great chemistry and they each covered for each others flaws which was cool.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Nice to see we go to Newfoundland in this game (of all the locations that've been in more than one AC game, that is the weirdest) Wonder if Novgorod or Constantinople will show up too so we can hit all the big Viking highlights.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Hanging out with Rurik sounds like a great idea for DLC. You can also have his son Oleg as a mystical dude.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mameluke posted:

Nice to see we go to Newfoundland in this game (of all the locations that've been in more than one AC game, that is the weirdest) Wonder if Novgorod or Constantinople will show up too so we can hit all the big Viking highlights.

looking forward to the next AC game after this one taking place entirely in Newfoundland, Assassin's Creed: The Shipping News based on the 1993 novel by E. Annie Proulx. the player character is a middle aged small town newspaper reporter with Newfie roots relocating from the US after a family tragedy. explore the island as you learn about cod fishing, the shipping industry, and local culture. navigate complicated family dynamics as you uncover the dark secrets of your own childhood, or travel into St Johns to "assassinate" a lobster at one of many fine local seafood establishments

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 15, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Earwicker posted:

looking forward to the next AC game after this one taking place entirely in Newfoundland, Assassin's Creed: The Shipping News based on the 1993 novel by E. Annie Proulx. the player character is a middle aged small town newspaper reporter with Newfie roots relocating from the US after a family tragedy. explore the island as you learn about cod fishing, the shipping industry, and local culture. navigate complicated family dynamics as you uncover the dark secrets of your own childhood, or travel into St Johns to "assassinate" a lobster at one of many fine local seafood establishments

I'd play it

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Earwicker posted:

This would be the coolest premise in the series since 2.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Just watched the deep dive video and I'm definitely more interested in this now. Figured it might be a little too generic. I played AC: Odyssey for ~20 hours before playing Last of Us and then platinuming Ghost of Tsushima, but haven't been compelled to get back into it yet with all the new games coming out.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

KingKapalone posted:

Just watched the deep dive video and I'm definitely more interested in this now. Figured it might be a little too generic. I played AC: Odyssey for ~20 hours before playing Last of Us and then platinuming Ghost of Tsushima, but haven't been compelled to get back into it yet with all the new games coming out.

yeah.. i reinstalled odyssey to get back into the swing of things for valhalla but actually the new multiplayer expansion for ghost of tsushima comes out today, which includes new game+

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1317118182268768257

not a surprise but nice to know.

i assume the Gold edition/post game info hits next week.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/assassinscreed/status/1317118182268768257

not a surprise but nice to know.

i assume the Gold edition/post game info hits next week.

Doesn’t that just mean version 1.0 of the game is officially finished, and doesn’t actually have anything to do with the “Gold edition”, which just comes with the season pass? (Which, don’t get me wrong, I preordered myself.)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

Doesn’t that just mean version 1.0 of the game is officially finished, and doesn’t actually have anything to do with the “Gold edition”, which just comes with the season pass? (Which, don’t get me wrong, I preordered myself.)

Yeah, gold just means you have your 1.0 version that's ready to ship and get pressed to disc.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thrawn527 posted:

yeah. i just mean its not gonna get delayed or anything. never was gonna be anyway but idk. it was new news.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"going gold" means the game is done, it referred to the golden "master disc" or whatever being sent out to the places that spat out all the CDs so they could start printing them for release

I don't know if that's still a thing, probably they'd just send a digital version?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqnVQWePtrs

Watched this review today and oof..

Not the best look. NPCs doing flying butt attacks that don't make contact but do damage. Music and voiceovers missing in numerous areas. Weather effects not functioning or not implemented. Redundant quests. Most concerning is there are far more things you can't use sneak attacks on or assassinate.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 16, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I don't think going gold means much any more because they just start working on the day 1 patch immediately anyway

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Shammypants posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqnVQWePtrs

Watched this review today and oof..

Not the best look. NPCs doing flying butt attacks that don't make contact but do damage. Music and voiceovers missing in numerous areas. Weather effects not functioning or not implemented. Redundant quests. Most concerning is there are far more things you can't use sneak attacks on or assassinate.

https://youtu.be/aqnVQWePtrs?t=330

Oh wow. It's not even like he's combing the game for stuff this bad, he's just picking stuff he came across in an afternoon of playing.

e: also I really like this guy, thanks for linking to him. He's making a lot of subjective judgements about the game but linking them really effectively to game footage so that for every opinion I'm there nodding and thinking 'yep, I can absolutely see what you are describing'.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 16, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
noooo I hope he's wrong

although definitely cemented my decision to go with the male voice actor. the female voice kinda sucks.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Eh.......I'm still gonna buy it

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Cyberpunk first and then I can pick this up on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I was absolutely avoiding the DLC bundle anyway because of how badly Odyssey burned me, but ooph, that's not a good look. Might hold off on preordering entirely.