Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Mallory has the empty nest issue where she never got to raise her children so maybe she'll be a good parent figure if she can treat Ryan like her own in that respect?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Eh, I dont think depriving Ryan of a "good" choice is a writing mistake. It's a grim world with grey characters, and having a good Superman growing up in a healthy family goes completely against the thesis of the book and the show.

Letting Ryan grow up well-meaning but stunted in some way both opens up new plotlines while still providing opportunities to undermine hero worship.

I'm interested in if the college spin-off show will just be an adaptation of the G-Men plot.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's certainly better than getting beat to death by a baseball bat moments after you're born.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I still wonder about the baby in the hospital with the blue eye beams. I mean, that seems to be the thing about Homelander that scares people the most, and it seems to be a pretty rare V power.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hey I don't know if anyone said this yet, but Stormfront at the end gave me some serious Ma Gnucci vibes from Ennis' Marvel Knights Punisher run and that's why I think she's coming back in season 3.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I still wonder about the baby in the hospital with the blue eye beams. I mean, that seems to be the thing about Homelander that scares people the most, and it seems to be a pretty rare V power.

and we all know blue is stronger than red so

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Snazzy Frocks posted:

and we all know blue is stronger than red so

I thought it was blue light=good and red light=bad? Is that only in regards to robots?

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
star wars and gi joe as well, of course

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Something I keep seeing brought up is “How can Becca stab Stormfront?” and I wanted to nerd out for a moment.

Basically, no matter what the genetic or physiological conditions of your super strength or invulnerability are, there’s no really way to create an impermeable or impregnable mucus membrane, at least not with our current understanding of biology. Things like tongues, the inside of your lungs, and your eyeballs literally couldn’t function if their muscle tissue were any denser or if their cells were shaped differently. They go over this in a few issues if X-Men and also the Luke Cage Marvel TV show.

If Stormfront’s eyeballs were capable of withstanding the amount of pressure generated by the tip of a steel knife, her eyeballs would have to be so dense that light couldn’t move through them and she would be blind.

and this is for sure a show that's concerned with having biologically plausible eyes

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Crespolini posted:

and this is for sure a show that's concerned with having biologically plausible eyes

Exactly. Same thing with Homelander explaining why he couldn't stop that plane in Season 1 . The writers at least try to apply real world physics, though they're not perfect.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BlushingFrightenedFattaileddunnart-mobile.mp4

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
For what it's worth, Stormfront in the comics is momentarily blinded by throwing a bunch of crushed glass shards at his face.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Fionordequester posted:

Same thing with Homelander explaining why he couldn't stop that plane in Season 1 . The writers at least try to apply real world physics, though they're not perfect.

Except that doesn't make sense in physics.

e: the answer to why he couldn't do it is that he didn't want to

breadshaped fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 15, 2020

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Fionordequester posted:

Exactly. Same thing with Homelander explaining why he couldn't stop that plane in Season 1 . The writers at least try to apply real world physics, though they're not perfect.

Right. Homelander is a great example actually, because his eyes are also completely normal.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make

Bedshaped posted:

Except that doesn't make sense in physics.

e: the answer to why he couldn't do it is that he didn't want to

Homelander was lazy in that scene, there's no denying that.

But, handling an airplane really would be a lot more difficult than Superman often makes it look. Try to put too much force on any one part of it would be like holding up a cake with a pencil. Even if you got the balance right, the cake would likely get stabbed through the tip, and it'd be the same with Homelander. Try to adjust the tail, and you risk throwing the plane off-balance if you didn't do it exactly right. Same thing with adjusting the wings.

Theoretically, he might have been able to gently fly up against the landing gear, and let the wind do most of the work as he either let it glide in the air, or land gently in the water. Perhaps he could have gotten some inflatable rafts, stuffed everyone on them, then carted them off to safety at the same time (so there wouldn't be so many trips back-and-forth). Or perhaps he could've snagged someone's cellphone, gotten to a safe place, then called and asked military/airforce personnel/whoever how he could use his powers to help.

He couldn't have just brute-forced it, though... He'd have had to get creative. And unfortunately, he wasn't driven enough to be creative.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Another Bill posted:

Hey I don't know if anyone said this yet, but Stormfront at the end gave me some serious Ma Gnucci vibes from Ennis' Marvel Knights Punisher run and that's why I think she's coming back in season 3.

I just figured that Aya Cash wouldn't even pretend to be stoked to do all those press junkets and Inside the Boys if she was actually written off.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

She said in an interview she wanted to do some work that was relatively short, now that You're the Worst is finished.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

Mesmer erasure that just will not stand

Also the stretchy guy in the church event in s1.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Thundercracker posted:

I just figured that Aya Cash wouldn't even pretend to be stoked to do all those press junkets and Inside the Boys if she was actually written off.

That's part of the job so yea they would pretend to be stoked.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

itry posted:

She said in an interview she wanted to do some work that was relatively short, now that You're the Worst is finished.

The monkey paw curls. Cut to 6 years later, the second Boys feature film is released and Cash is forever typecast as a nazi.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That's part of the job so yea they would pretend to be stoked.

The showrunner literally confirmed she's not dead and is coming back for next season, so we don't actually need to theorize about any of this.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i dont know who is gonna save stormfront but i hope they have a plan for an extra unhinged and traumatized nazi supe

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Well, there is the failed resurrection process that the comics occasionally bring up but dont do much with which could give her a few extra cameos, but I'm in the camp of her not being dead, just because they didnt give her "dying" the gravitaz you would expect for a season antagonist that has been establishing herself as a complete POS.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

The showrunner literally confirmed she's not dead and is coming back for next season, so we don't actually need to theorize about any of this.

Oh did they? That's stupid.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We never saw her die and she was confirmed to be alive in the show, so even if you never heard that interview it was still a very safe bet. She was the throughline through every characters plot, the entire season revolves around her and that coincided with their highest engagement or viewership of any project in their TV division.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Nah someone with all their limbs off and hosed up like that rambling in German like she's totally gone is a pretty safe "she died" bet. Took less to kill the one in the comic.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

At this point, the question is whether she's gonna be the same character... Or just a brain-dead loony? Then again, she seems to have really good regeneration (if the "laser my tits!" scene is any indication).

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I have faith in these writers, so far they've made every* idea from the books at least slightly better, and Aya Cash is great casting.

*I still wish they'd done more with poor Sausage though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nah someone with all their limbs off and hosed up like that rambling in German like she's totally gone is a pretty safe "she died" bet. Took less to kill the one in the comic.

But this just isn’t how death works in any TV show though

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I have faith in these writers, so far they've made every* idea from the books at least slightly better, and Aya Cash is great casting.

Cindy and Sausage are both confirmed for next season

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

But this just isn’t how death works in any TV show though

Stannis still lives!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Lamplighter's story was better in the comic (apart from the bringing him back bit).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Azhais posted:

Cindy and Sausage are both confirmed for next season

I hope they keep most of his origin/personality (obviously since in the show supes are historically US-only it cant be entirely the same), bit of a bummer that he wont get his in-uniform debut Allies-slapping the nazi (unless Stormfront comes back in a not-crippled way).

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

Oh did they? That's stupid.

She didn't die in the show and there was expository dialogue explicitly saying she was alive, it would be dumb not to do SOMETHING with her in S3

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

There was a lot behind Stormfront that was just implied but never fully revealed. I hope the next season tells us how involved she was in the experimentation on adults, why/how is she immortal, or how powerful she really is inside Vought. I like Aya Cash so her coming back as a nazi dath vader for a bit before dying for real would be fun.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Even if Stormfront only does have a couple cursory appearances next season, the other reason Aya Cash might want to do those press junkets is to maintain a good working relationship with Amazon and the showrunner(s). If this wanted intended to be a short run for her, delivering a solid performance (she did) in this role and then doing all the follow on press to keep the show's popularity up is a great way to get her next role(s).

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
I've been a foster parent for a long time and seeing how trauma affects kids who have way less traumatic experience than "literally eyebeamed my own mother to death" its my personal opinion Ryan is hosed.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
Ryan is absolutely hosed. Honestly considering his circumstances he probably turned out the best he could have but killing the one person he loved on accident while trying to save her will absolutely put him in a dark space. I wouldn't be surprised if he tried killing himself but can't.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Sure, but he's in the custody of someone who lost her similarly-aged grandchildren in an absolutely brutal fashion, so I think it's a pretty safe bet that Mallory is at least going to try to help him.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Or she'll smother him while hyper overcompensating for failing to protect her own children and he'll grow up even more isolated than Homelander and turn into the show's version of comics Noir

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I dont think being raised by the CIA is going to make you well-adjusted, even if the mother figure is sympathetic. He's going to have a strange view of America even if he doesnt get funneled into wetworks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
That's a good point, he could turn into Overkill. He just needs to find an artificially intelligent boat