Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Young Kaine is my favourite rapper.

Have to admit he was hot tho. Tim(e) makes fools of us all

E: kainesnyper :hellyeah:

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Tim Kaine can still get it

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

Grondoth posted:

The state gave the GOP until today to remove those, so I guess we'll see what happens. It's a strange fight to pick, cause they're obviously in the wrong; the only reason they could be doing this is to gently caress with things.
Honestly surprised that no one has gone around yet and tagged them with THIS IS NOT A BALLOT DROP BOX or something.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Sarcastro posted:

Depends where they registered. I agree this is potentially a significant issue for local races, but probably less so in Presidential terms (although now that I type that out I see that it isn't any great bit of wisdom).

I mean, if you're registered at your college 2 hours away from your home it's not exactly easy to get to your polling place if you plan to vote in person. Not sure how easy it is to resolve with a mail ballot though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

smoobles posted:

Just sick poo poo, absolutely haram

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Vernii posted:

What's the actual danger that college campuses being shut down / restricted due to covid will suppress the college vote? I saw something yesterday where Charlie Kirk was boasting that he expected 500k less votes from campus disruption.

Those votes might move around a bit, like Charlz says, but there's also the fact that people have been told this time around to "plan your vote" way more than in previous elections. A not-insigificant number of college kids in previous elections voted spur-of-the-moment, like "oh it's election day, better run by the student center and vote lol". Just saying "Ha ha, college campuses are empty due to COVID, guess none of those kids will vote now! *twirls mustache*" isn't really capturing how much Zoomers don't like this guy.

You might see lower vote totals (or, more likely, a percentage less higher than otherwise expected) in college towns, but college-age voters will show up where they are to balance things out.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

smoobles posted:

shook his hand once irl, chunkier than he seems on tv, although this was a couple months after the election and he looked, well, a bit rough. All I could say is 'thanks'. He also looks eerily like my father so it was always a bit odd to see newspapers etc out of the corner of my eye

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

wilderthanmild posted:

I mean, if you're registered at your college 2 hours away from your home it's not exactly easy to get to your polling place if you plan to vote in person. Not sure how easy it is to resolve with a mail ballot though.

Sure, agreed, I just don't think (/hope) that the numbers of college students who end up not able to vote because of this will make or break the Trump/Biden race. Jesus, I loving hope it doesn't.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

bollig posted:

shook his hand once irl, chunkier than he seems on tv, although this was a couple months after the election and he looked, well, a bit rough. All I could say is 'thanks'. He also looks eerily like my father so it was always a bit odd to see newspapers etc out of the corner of my eye

I hate to tell you this, but you're his second family

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

all of you go to horny jail

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Wylie posted:

Those votes might move around a bit, like Charlz says, but there's also the fact that people have been told this time around to "plan your vote" way more than in previous elections. A not-insigificant number of college kids in previous elections voted spur-of-the-moment, like "oh it's election day, better run by the student center and vote lol". Just saying "Ha ha, college campuses are empty due to COVID, guess none of those kids will vote now! *twirls mustache*" isn't really capturing how much Zoomers don't like this guy.

You might see lower vote totals (or, more likely, a percentage less higher than otherwise expected) in college towns, but college-age voters will show up where they are to balance things out.

Also, Charlie Kirk is criminally, abjectly stupid as loving hell. Always try to remember that. His organization is so inept that it was too stupid to notice when it put Donald Trump in front of a fake 10-foot-tall "Presidential seal" at a Turning Point USA event.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2019/07/26/fake-presidential-seal-trump-turning-point-event-charles-leazott/1835339001/

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

smoobles posted:

Tim and Anne in the '70s are every goon couple

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/realrobertomara/status/1316727124481384449

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

this is legitimately adorable

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Guard. That poo poo. With. Your Lives.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
https://twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1316756657280606208?s=19

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

Does he mean "returned" in the "the returns are coming in; here's what we know" sense, or the "they are being returned to sender" sense?

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
If this NYPost story was their final ratfucking shot, then this election is so incredibly over it's not even in doubt.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

DutchDupe posted:

If this NYPost story was their final ratfucking shot, then this election is so incredibly over it's not even in doubt.

I'm bracing for another round of bull next Monday.

DutchDupe
Dec 25, 2013

How does the kitty cat go?

...meow?

Very gooood.
WaPo had a story about the unprecedented surge in early voting that I thought was interesting in that its suggesting many Democrats are abandoning plans to vote by mail and instead are voting early in person, in large part thanks to all the fuckery that was happening with the Postal Service, so it's possible we might actually be getting more returns on election night than we had been anticipating.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
An election is never over until it is over.

However, it looks like the hunter Biden thing was an iCloud hack and I don't think it's gonna look good when that gets verified.

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

DutchDupe posted:

WaPo had a story about the unprecedented surge in early voting that I thought was interesting in that its suggesting many Democrats are abandoning plans to vote by mail and instead are voting early in person, in large part thanks to all the fuckery that was happening with the Postal Service, so it's possible we might actually be getting more returns on election night than we had been anticipating.

I know that's exactly why I switched from planning to vote by mail to planning to vote early in-person, and while anecdote is not evidence, I can't possibly be even close to the only one.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sarcastro posted:

Does he mean "returned" in the "the returns are coming in; here's what we know" sense, or the "they are being returned to sender" sense?

As in, they have come in to the Board of Elections.

WI and PA are the two dumb states that don't do any pre-processing or counting until election day so all we know is just what's been returned not any stats about party ID or anything else.

edit: looking this up a little further the only states that give party ID return rate are:

CA, CO, FL, IA, KS, KY, MD, ME, NC, NJ, NV, OK, PA, SD

So PA actually does report more detail on who turned stuff in, but can't do any pre-processing :psyduck:.

At least FL will likely have everything counted on election night by 9 PM EST or so. God help the Dept. of Elections people in PA and WI.

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Oct 15, 2020

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Sarcastro posted:

I know that's exactly why I switched from planning to vote by mail to planning to vote early in-person, and while anecdote is not evidence, I can't possibly be even close to the only one.

Yeah I did this too. I really hope it's a trend in the places where the early option exists.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
https://twitter.com/mattmfm/status/1316751783931371526

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000

axeil posted:

As in, they have come in to the Board of Elections.

Ah, very good, thanks.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pick posted:

However, it looks like the hunter Biden thing was an iCloud hack and I don't think it's gonna look good when that gets verified.

Where is that this is an iCloud hack being reported?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Pick posted:

It’s not going to look good for whom?

Chinese Gordon
Oct 22, 2008

Does HR1 include universal vote by mail for federal elections? If not, that seems like something that should be in there assuming it is constitutional, which I think it is?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Sarcastro posted:

It means they've been returned to the elections office. I do not know if that means they've been accepted, but it is a very good sign that over half of the mail-in ballots are already back at the elections offices in WI and we've still got 18 days before the polls open.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

young Kaine is a dead ringer for Jello Biafra.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far is where the 3rd party vote is going to go. Fully expect it to be much smaller than normal this year, and the Green vote practically nonexistent (Howie is polling below Kanye at this point) though as usual the libertarian candidate is getting 2-4% percent in polls that include her. Normally I would expect Libertarians to come home to the Republicans but Trump is so toxic and so synonymous with the party that I think more of them are going to either hold their nose for Biden or stay home. That Arizona poll has me curious.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Eric Cantonese posted:

It’s not going to look good for whom?

The leakers.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Pick posted:

The leakers.

Where is it being said that this might be an iCloud hack?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Guliani is reading messages that are iMessages which apparently aren't accessible from a hd the way he is; I'm waiting for confirmation though.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Everyone with even a cursory knowledge of how Apple products store and encrypt data.

It's absurd to think that all of this info would just be sitting on a Macbook hard drive, let alone accessible if the computer was destroyed, and even more ridiculous to think it's recoverable by just a random nobody running a podunk break-fix shop. An iCloud hack is the Occam's Razor answer.

Xombie fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 15, 2020

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

paternity suitor posted:

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1316165171744825344?s=21

It probably doesn’t mean anything, but I find the idea of herding interesting, and given the movement in that national polls lately into “this can’t last can it” territory, I wonder about these foreign pollsters coming in with even higher numbers for Biden.

Ever since 2016 I've wondered how much of Hillary's miraculous ~7% gain in the polls during the last 6 weeks of the election was pure herding effect. There were a lot of polls around the end of September / early October that came really close to the election results, then things slowly reverted to "normal" over the course of October only to run into a brick wall on election day. Was there really that much of a drift in the electorate followed by a spur-of-the-moment shift back to Trump or was it just pollsters playing a game of chicken amongst themselves about not wanting to be the pro-Trump outlier?

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/jomalleydillon/status/1316550240216977409?s=20

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Pick posted:

Guliani is reading messages that are iMessages which apparently aren't accessible from a hd the way he is; I'm waiting for confirmation though.

So Guiliani is literally using stolen and hacked information by the Russians then?

I thought he was just making poo poo up tbh

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

That’s the campaign manager trying to get people to panic-donate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

TulliusCicero posted:

So Guiliani is literally using stolen and hacked information by the Russians then?

I thought he was hyst making poo poo up tbh

They have real photos of Hunter. They got those from somewhere.