Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Seriously missed opportunity to title that entry Duergar Duerguard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bieeanshee posted:

I remember that! When I first heard about spelljammer, I thought that image was supposed to be a sneaky early teaser.

Well now that it's confirmed not to be a figment of someone's imagination I want to see it too.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

Much appreciated but in addition to how often the content from the OSR winds up being yikes, I'm just kind of over that game-play loop. Every once in a while I'll kind of miss old D&D out of pure nostalgia for back when I was a kid, but I'm much more interested in other stuff these days. There have been so very many dungeons and crypts, please, let me play something different.

You really should look into the Ultraviolet Grasslands setting. At base, it is a Oregon Trail caravanner point-crawl in a psychedelic and spray-painted-Wizard-on-the-side-of-a-van world. I find it refreshing because it is unique. There are psychic cat-lords who make dogs fight giant rats for their own amusement, Rainbow colored peoples (literally, Bluelanders have a history of being necromancers), Porcelain Princes, carnivorous hyper-tech wild mechanicals called Vomes, Glass Houses, a Grassland Colossus, and a Near Moon just hovering over a valley with treasures to be explored therein. Watch out for the changes in gravity!

And the weird world is all wrapped in a trade and barter game.

An introduction to the UVG is free and can be found here: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/produc...0fuzzy%20riffs.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Warthur posted:

I mean, look at that image. Nothing stopping that being on front of a 7 year old's storybook, and that's no bad thing because I wanna read that storybook, it looks rad.

That turtle looks so mad / disgusted, it rules.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Slam sector

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Riiiight.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Man that axe was undersold, looking at the stock... handle.... thing it's a shovel/axe/blaster, perfect for that Spacedwarf Spaceprospector on the go

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Darwinism posted:

Man that axe was undersold, looking at the stock... handle.... thing it's a shovel/axe/blaster, perfect for that Spacedwarf Spaceprospector on the go

This image was the first time early teens me had ever considered adapting a rule set for a different genre. Not that DND was the best but it was the early 90s and I had limited access to non-DND / GURPS / SR / Cyberpunk 2020 rule sets. Hell I hadn’t even found WOD yet.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

I mean, that's the vibe it gave me, don't think I was far off :shrug:

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010

Deep Rock Galactic had humble beginnings I see.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

:scrunt:

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Hollandia posted:

I mean, that's the vibe it gave me, don't think I was far off :shrug:
It totally is, but there is also a real healthy slice of Brett from Alien in it as well.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What book was this from? I know I've seen it before but I can't remember where.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It was used an ad in Dragon Magazine a lot back in the 90s

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

whydirt posted:

It was used an ad in Dragon Magazine a lot back in the 90s

I only ever saw it in Dragon. Did the 90’s TSR space RPG (not gammaworld) have dwarfs?

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
It's on page 7 of issue 177 of Dragon - given the placement, I suspect it'd be a recurring spot:

UrbanLabyrinth fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 12, 2020

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

is that supposed to be a space dwarf or a space hillbilly

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

theironjef posted:

Was the thing where Duergar have fire elemental hair quills new to 4e? Because it was rad.

I fought a bunch of them on a campaign two weeks ago and they used the quills and everyone was amazed because we never knew that they had this poo poo on 4e

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Plutonis posted:

is that supposed to be a space dwarf or a space hillbilly

yeah

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I wasn't sure where exactly to put this post, but I hope this thread is germane enough.

When there was online discourse about the problem of D&D portraying orcs as being "naturally evil" or something similar, there was this tweet from The Alexandrian:

It never sat well with me because it felt far too exculpatory of old-school D&D and of Gygax, as though the portrayal of orcs in this way couldn't have come from this.

And it mostly derives from the technicality that A. alignment didn't have a good/evil axis until AD&D, and B. orcs were capable of being in the neutral category of the law/chaos axis in OD&D:

from D&D Book 1 - Men and Magic

Because OD&D relied a lot on "reading between the lines" in terms of describing its fantasy milieu, it's true that you're not going to get an explicit declaration of orcs being evil, but even at this early stage, you already see functional descriptions of orcs that imply less-than-civilized behavior, to put it mildly.

from D&D Book 2 - Monsters & Treasure

from D&D Book 3 - The Underworld and Wilderness Adventures

___

By as early as the Holmes Basic Set (1977), orcs were already being described as "evil":

___

When we get to the D&D Box Sets from Moldvay and Mentzer, the "evil" part of their alignment is dropped, but the descriptions of orc behavior still regards them as being rather barbaric:

D&D Basic - Moldvay Edition

D&D Basic - Mentzer Edition

D&D Rules Cyclopedia

___

Of course, by the time we get to AD&D 1st Edition, which was written by Gary Gygax, this is how orcs are described:

My overall point in digging up all this is that the part where he says "anyone going for straight up orcs must be evil because gygax is just ignorant" is... wrong, because Gygax was a big influence in how orcs were portrayed over the years, and leading into the standardization of them as being evil as a matter of course.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Honestly even without the history lesson that Alexandrian post just feels like one of those classic liberal “pro-life is pro-death!!!” gotchas where you behave as if your opponents are arguing in good faith when they are most definitely not.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Has anyone reviewed Infinity RPG fully? Alexandrian wrote it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

“Tribal colors”. Yuk.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Even if much of those statblocks and flavor text don’t say “Orcs are always evil,” they still have some pretty racist language devoted to telling you how horrible orcs are.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

hyphz posted:

I did not know that and it cracks me up.

It's a fine game. It's a little crunchy for my taste, but given that 2d20 keeps trying to be Cortex Prime / Fate more and more, I would like the pendulum to swing back that way. The book is arguably the worst reference book I own (I remember once trying to figure out how to use a grenade launcher I had picked up, and "grenade launcher", "grenades", and "explosion damage" were in different parts of the book), but the system is pretty rock solid.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I like the Infinity and Conan rpgs a lot more than I expected. Really hope the Dune game with that system is just as good.

It took a little while to get used to, but it works pretty well for narrative heavy action adventure with some meat on the bones. Fate just never clicked with me, so I am glad it has become a mostly forgotten relic.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

gradenko_2000 posted:

from D&D Book 1 - Men and Magic

It's sad because the concept of law vs chaos could have been interesting in a game that was willing to approach it in a nuanced way. But D&D was a wargame and they needed two sides. They gave it away when they called high level chaos priests "Evil High Priests" instead of something badass.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Not only is Evil High Priest bad, it's wrong. It should have been Evil Patriarch. Also, third level should have been Evil Village Priest, just calling it Shaman is weird and racist as it's the only other one that isn't just the regular level title with Evil in front.

E: (Evil) Acolyte, (Evil) Adept, Village Priest/Shaman, (Evil) Priest, (Evil) Curate, (Evil) Bishop, (Evil) Lama, Patriarch/Evil High Priest, for those unfamiliar with it.

Yes, it's stupid.

90s Cringe Rock fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 14, 2020

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DalaranJ posted:

It's sad because the concept of law vs chaos could have been interesting in a game that was willing to approach it in a nuanced way. But D&D was a wargame and they needed two sides. They gave it away when they called high level chaos priests "Evil High Priests" instead of something badass.

The chaos = baddies and law = goodies is an element pulled from Three Hearts and Three Lions, along with a few other specific D&D quirks. I know a lot of people also point to the Elric books as an influence on the law/chaos axis, too but there's a least more ambiguity there in what's objectively good or bad that I think you see later D&D writers extrapolate out when law/chaos becomes a separate axis from good/evil in D&D.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it's also kinda dumb to claim that the Chaos alignment doesn't represent evil when that's where the Evil High Priests exclusively belong to

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
IIRC the gods of Law and Chaos in the Elric books are both Cthulhu-grade horrors inimical to humanity, it's just that in Elric's time the gods of Chaos were ascendant and the gods of Law were incredibly remote and uninvolved in mortal affairs.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Not only is Evil High Priest bad, it's wrong. It should have been Evil Patriarch. Also, third level should have been Evil Village Priest, just calling it Shaman is weird and racist as it's the only other one that isn't just the regular level title with Evil in front.

E: (Evil) Acolyte, (Evil) Adept, Village Priest/Shaman, (Evil) Priest, (Evil) Curate, (Evil) Bishop, (Evil) Lama, Patriarch/Evil High Priest, for those unfamiliar with it.

Yes, it's stupid.

It made a certain kind of sense to me as a kid GM, read as a chart of NPC titles. Like, if I was populating a haunted church and I wanted the villain to be an evil Bishop, I could look at that chart and go "Ah, very good, 6th level". I never once thought it was that you leveled through those unrelated jobs.

Naturally that's extremely pointless design information though and I just was a dumb kid.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

hyphz posted:

I need to pick back up my Infinity F&F, but *gestures at everything* right now.

He was the line developer, not the writer, although I guess he could have written for it too. It's serviceable enough, I suspect the fact that he's working within a premade system and everything fluff had to be approved by Corvus Belli probably mitigated his tendencies.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

DalaranJ posted:

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's also kinda dumb to claim that the Chaos alignment doesn't represent evil when that's where the Evil High Priests exclusively belong to

The 1974 edition of D&D is so badly written that it's at times unclear whether evil and chaos even are synonymous. When Holmes approached TSR with his attempt to clean up the rules, he had interpreted Gygax' drunken scribbles to mean that Law/Chaos was separate from Good/Evil, and nobody at TSR bothered to correct him.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

IIRC the gods of Law and Chaos in the Elric books are both Cthulhu-grade horrors inimical to humanity, it's just that in Elric's time the gods of Chaos were ascendant and the gods of Law were incredibly remote and uninvolved in mortal affairs.

Law isn't presented as being better than Chaos, but Chaos has classic demon iconography, and the very last line of a Chaotic entity is to tell Elric said demon was much more evil than Elric, so I think it should be remembered that Moorcock's Chaos at least looked a lot more like D&D Evil than D&D Chaos.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
Can we just all take a minute to appreciate how lovely Gygax's fantasy biological determinism worldview was?

This entire idea that you need races of inherently evil monsters to slay is just so off-putting to me. You can very easily get unambiguous bad guys that the PCs aren't going to feel bad about killing without going down this insane, 19th century scientific racism route!

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

KingKalamari posted:

Can we just all take a minute to appreciate how lovely Gygax's fantasy biological determinism worldview was?

This entire idea that you need races of inherently evil monsters to slay is just so off-putting to me. You can very easily get unambiguous bad guys that the PCs aren't going to feel bad about killing without going down this insane, 19th century scientific racism route!

The argument would be "orcs are not people, they are inhuman abominations made by evil gods" and other signifiers you could get by reading fantasy of the era, or really any horror.

This argument is undermined by making them playable characters and giving them any sort of human culture. There is a growing presumption over time in D&D that everything should be playable, especially as the settings grow more complex.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There is a growing presumption over time in D&D that everything should be playable, especially as the settings grow more complex.

D&D had aspirations to and has positioned itself as a generic fantasy RPG, but is at its core incredibly restrictive in how it says magic works and which races must be playable. Making everything playable is kind of the natural development of a need to meet the demands that come with the position of being ostensibly generic.

Then they'll release a new edition and the playable races will be pared down and the whole process has to start over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

admanb posted:

Honestly even without the history lesson that Alexandrian post just feels like one of those classic liberal “pro-life is pro-death!!!” gotchas where you behave as if your opponents are arguing in good faith when they are most definitely not.
yeah I feel like trying to go "actually gygax was fine with orcs being chaotic instead of evil" is already giving the opposing argument way too much credit, even if it was Gygax-sanctified dogma it would still be dumb and bullshit.