Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cool to see Otto Schmidt drawing Catwoman. Now give him a Black Canary team book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
at least it saves me money for 2 months.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

Well heck, I'll bit if no one else will.

Who was the self-insert character (for Damon Lindelof, I assume?) in Watchmen?

The main Klan villain echoes a lot of sentiment Lindeloff has also expressed in interviews. Knowing Lindeloff is a man who thinks that Congress should always be 50/50 liberal/conservative so everyone is represented makes the guys whole speech about how he just wants white men to have a voice again at the end really loving skeezy and uncomfortable to watch.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Rhyno posted:

https://darkknightnews.com/2020/10/...IIB6RMKBFkgoSXU

Holy poo poo NONE of this sounds interesting at all

Eh, for a 2 month "event" it's fine I'm interested in checking it out. But good lord, thinking about the pieces of this that were supposed to be part of the legitimate new 5G status quo is a whole other thing. I would not want to read 6+ months of this.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

quote:

Back in Metropolis, Clark’s son Jon has taken on the mantle of Superman. After seeing the horrors that befell Gotham, he bottles Metropolis in order to keep it safe, putting him at odds with Supergirl.

I don't know who's coffee Jon poo poo in but man DC has just pretty much destroyed any interest I have in him these days with one dumbass decision after another.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Remember back when we just got good stories in a reasonable world for months at a time?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Beerdeer posted:

Remember back when we just got good stories in a reasonable world for months at a time?

Not from DC, no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

I don't know who's coffee Jon poo poo in but man DC has just pretty much destroyed any interest I have in him these days with one dumbass decision after another.

You know what it feels like? When Geoff Johns pushes out a legacy character to bring back the REAL DEAL. Maybe Bendis is a huge Kon-El fan.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Cael posted:

Eh, for a 2 month "event" it's fine I'm interested in checking it out. But good lord, thinking about the pieces of this that were supposed to be part of the legitimate new 5G status quo is a whole other thing. I would not want to read 6+ months of this.

to be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if some things in that were just "gently caress it, 5G is dead and this isn't in continuity anymore, we can do whatever we want now"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm way into some of these designs.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

The main Klan villain echoes a lot of sentiment Lindeloff has also expressed in interviews. Knowing Lindeloff is a man who thinks that Congress should always be 50/50 liberal/conservative so everyone is represented makes the guys whole speech about how he just wants white men to have a voice again at the end really loving skeezy and uncomfortable to watch.

Considering what happens to that guy immediately after his big supervillain monologue, this seems like a stretch.

As for Rorschach, I remember seeing that while it doesn’t explicitly reference the show (I think that vague reference to Oklahoma is about as direct as it’ll get), King did make sure not to contradict the series.

Anyway more cool designs give me all the designs

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hup posted:

Considering what happens to that guy immediately after his big supervillain monologue, this seems like a stretch.

Lindeloff is a right leaning centrist, at best. I don't think he's an actual nazi in real life, but he's definitely the kind of guy who thinks free speech applies to them, and that if they play by the rules they deserve representation. Yeah the character dies, but he's never refuted. The obvious answer of "no Nazis don't get a voice" isn't given, he's instead punished for his slights against doctor Manhattan. So yeah, he dies, but it's not because of being a nazi, it's because of his reach exceeding his grasp. A nice way of getting to have that character there as a mouthpiece, and then still act like he was given his comeuppance when he was not, at least not for the part Damon agrees on.

He's also a bad writer though so maybe I'm wrong and it wasn't intentional and he's only an idiot and terrible person outside of the show.

E: He also had it so the super violent nazi hero was actually a black guy who was also a nazi sympathizer. Which is cool and good and not weird and problematic at all in any way.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 15, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Vince MechMahon posted:

I was not aware that Lindelof said anything about Congress (or white power) to that effect, and Google isn't turning up much of anything. I am curious how you make the leap from that to "his self-insert is the racist Klan mastermind who gets immediately murdered after giving his supervillain speech", but that's a lens to view the series through, certainly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Edge & Christian posted:

I was not aware that Lindelof said anything about Congress (or white power) to that effect, and Google isn't turning up much of anything. I am curious how you make the leap from that to "his self-insert is the racist Klan mastermind who gets immediately murdered after giving his supervillain speech", but that's a lens to view the series through, certainly.

He never said anything about white power, sorry if my original post was confusing. The article was posted here on the forums but I of course can't find it now. Was an interview around the beginning of the series where he said the Congress thing. He's a lovely centrist who should not be telling stories like the one he tried and failed to tell in Watchmen where he acts like he's not, though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Vince MechMahon posted:

E: He also had it so the super violent nazi hero was actually a black guy who was also a nazi sympathizer. Which is cool and good and not weird and problematic at all in any way.

wait he wasn't a nazi sympathizer what show were you watching

Arkhams Razor
Jun 10, 2009

Vince MechMahon posted:

The article was posted here on the forums but I of course can't find it now.
It was from the Vulture interview:

quote:

In the world of the show, a lot of the racial politics emanate from the fact that Robert Redford, a well-intentioned liberal, has been president of the United States for decades. You don’t say he’s created a dystopian nightmare, but you certainly don’t say we all lived happily ever after.
What you’re talking about is exactly the intention. Clearly, it was off the table to say that the president of the United States was going to modeled on Trump in any way. Then it’s not Watchmen. Also, we were left a clue at the end of the original, which is that Robert Redford was running for president. We contend that he never, ever would have been able to beat NixonIn the comic, Nixon wins the Vietnam War with Dr. Manhattan’s help and makes that country the 51st U.S. state. Riding a wave of popularity, he ends the constitutional prohibition on third terms and serves all the way up through the events of the comic in 1985. at the height of Nixon’s popularity, especially post-squid. So Nixon wins in ’88, he beats Redford, and then he dies in office in ’90. Redford gets to run again, against Gerald Ford, and he wins. We had all these conversations about, “Who was on the Supreme Court in ’92 when Redford became president? Who would have been on Nixon’s Supreme Court? How many years would it have taken for Redford to get a Supreme Court that would go liberal?” In the meantime, the world is still spinning as a result of 3 million people dying in New York.

Liberals get two things wildly wrong, in my opinion as an unabashed liberal. One is we spend way too much time wagging our fingers. The second is we don’t know when to stop regulating. Regulation is important, it’s necessary, but that’s what the people on the right legitimately fear. So, when does it stop? What is it to be 30 years into a liberal regime? That felt like low-hanging fruit that is too delicious not to not grab at. It’s going to be imperfect. You need a two-party system in order to achieve some level of balance. It doesn’t mean that I’m not wildly progressive. But if you said to me, “How do you feel about a Senate that is divided 70-30?” I’d say that’s no bueno. That’s not going to be representative of America.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Arguing that lindelof sees himself as a klansman certainly is a take

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
There's nuance in any political conversation and saying "a guy having dumb opinions about 'reaching across the aisle'" equates with "having some intentional equivalence with a KKK member" is wild, and feels like just using ethical opprobrium as a short-cut to critique and evaluation. It reminds me of a person from a different subforum who said that the only people who insist on a meaningful distinction between the KKK and the Third Reich are nazis and KKK members which struck me as a take from the planet Neptune it was so out of this world inscrutable to me.

I think in analyzing media precision and deliberation are always going to be more compelling than moral outrage because if a text is truly morally abhorrent then a precise and deliberate reading will turn that up anyway. There are numerous thoughtful and scathing critiques of the politics of the Watchmen show. But just going "well, the show-runner is probably this because he might be that because I think he said this other thing" is thin soup at a cold table.

radlum
May 13, 2013

site posted:

Arguing that lindelof sees himself as a klansman certainly is a take

lovely centrism aside, I don’t see how one can go from “the series doesn’t refute the senator enough” to “Lindelof’s self insert is a klansman”

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

Lindelof has the incoherent political opinions of the average American with a strong leaning towards "civility" and "reason," but he absolutely views the white supremacist who gets vaporized while wearing a speedo as a "fundamentally ridiculous" figure.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

wait he wasn't a nazi sympathizer what show were you watching

Have you read Watchmen? Hooded Justice is a literal nazi, and they included the WW2 scene where he gets the leaflets from the Nazis so that isn't a continuity error with him no longer being an Eastern European white guy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Andrew_Jackson5 posted:

Lindelof has the incoherent political opinions of the average American with a strong leaning towards "civility" and "reason," but he absolutely views the white supremacist who gets vaporized while wearing a speedo as a "fundamentally ridiculous" figure.

Again, I think it's less intention, and more that he's an idiot who doesn't know what he believes and accidentally had the Nazi say a bunch of poo poo he really believes and then glossed over it because he probably didn't even realize he was doing it. Cause he's a real dumb guy and not a good writer.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Was totally wrong on who I was thinking of, ignore this post.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 15, 2020

Andrew_Jackson5
Jan 9, 2015

what a web sight

Jiro posted:

I could see Lindelof stumbling his way narratively through that scene. I mean he did it through the entire season of Picard being fundamentally ignorant of what Star Trek is, in its original timeline post TNG, and character motivations and themes. And for a guy that believes the American Legislative body should be 50/50 and still thinks that anything meaningful would get done is............... definitely something.

Damon Lindelof had nothing to do with Picard! I know people don't like the guy but it seems unfair to blame him for the failures of a show he did not make.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Andrew_Jackson5 posted:

Damon Lindelof had nothing to do with Picard! I know people don't like the guy but it seems unfair to blame him for the failures of a show he did not make.

You're totally right it was Kurtzman I was thinking of. That's my bad.

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

not thrilled reading the synopses but i like most of these new designs a lot. something very fun and light about them

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Parallax posted:

not thrilled reading the synopses but i like most of these new designs a lot. something very fun and light about them

a young stephanie brown watching naruto AMVs and taking mental notes about kakashi just in case she ever loses an eye

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

Have you read Watchmen? Hooded Justice is a literal nazi, and they included the WW2 scene where he gets the leaflets from the Nazis so that isn't a continuity error with him no longer being an Eastern European white guy.

That scene was actually set in WW1 and was an actual propaganda letter that Germany targeted at black people.

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/6655/

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

Still bummed they don't actually get to call themselves Batgirl, though.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Barry Convex posted:

This vaguely reminds me of how JLA/Avengers #3 was originally going to depict alternate versions of the Marvel and DC universes that were "what if DC characters had been created by Silver Age Marvel" and vice versa. I think Batman was going to be a blind teenager who was clearly an analogue for Spider-Man and Daredevil.

(iirc, Busiek said DC editorial killed the idea because the way the Silver Age DC-ified Marvel heroes were depicted implied DC to be "sillier" than Marvel, which is an implication that DiDio and possibly Levitz were known to be insecure about and hate)

is there a source on this because that sounds great

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Raserys posted:

is there a source on this because that sounds great

It gets brought up in the supplementary book of JLA/Avengers. You know, the fancy hardcover version.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Barry Convex posted:

This vaguely reminds me of how JLA/Avengers #3 was originally going to depict alternate versions of the Marvel and DC universes that were "what if DC characters had been created by Silver Age Marvel" and vice versa. I think Batman was going to be a blind teenager who was clearly an analogue for Spider-Man and Daredevil.

(iirc, Busiek said DC editorial killed the idea because the way the Silver Age DC-ified Marvel heroes were depicted implied DC to be "sillier" than Marvel, which is an implication that DiDio and possibly Levitz were known to be insecure about and hate)
From the aforementioned hardcover supplement:

Kurt Busiek posted:

Originally, in #3, the plan was for the second act to involve the JLA and Avengers characters on very different worlds, and in very different versions of themselves — essentially, we'd see a classic Marvel take on the DC heroes, full of violent emotion, and a classic DC take on the Marvel heroes, rife with fictional cities, Schwartzian SF ideas and more. And we had a fine time cooking up different versions of the characters to fit the bill.
But when it came time to plot #3, DC-side editor Dan Raspler felt it just didn't work. He felt it hurt the momentum of the story, that it was too much like the Amalgam event referenced earlier in this volume and that it focused too much on the characters as individuals, not as the teams promised in the logos. We tried it a couple of different ways, and I could quibble with him about this or that, but the bottom line is that he was right — particularly that last point about too much solo-hero focus and not enough team stuff. At this point in the story, we needed to be seeing the teams come together, to work with one another rather than do battle, and we didn't need to be introducing new versions of anyone.
That was the pitch, though it was Dan Raspler (not Didio) who nixed it for stated reasons other than "it made DC heroes seem silly". As for the pitch itself:

Kurt Busiek posted:

As they return to their homes, we see several of them in transformed contexts – in essence, we see the DC version of Marvel heroes, with Cap operating out of the Pentagon in Capital City, talking with Bucky the Teen Marvel, leader of the Teen Allies; Iron Man, mayor of Electric City; Hawkeye, famous TV-detective, exposing hoaxes weekly; and Quicksilver and the Scarlet Witch, teenagers whose alien artifacts give them super-powers. We see the Marvel version of DC heroes - a youngish, tormented Superman, who failed to save his people, plunging them into suspended animation in the Phantom Zone, who seeks a solution to their plight while strenuously battling evil on Earth; a teenaged Batman with actual bat-powers, feared (and hated!) by those he strives to protect; a Martian Manhunter torn between his love for Earth and his loyalty to the invading army he's supposed to be a spy for; crippled cop Joe Carter who uses the sword of Khufu to transform into Hawkman, etc. Not necessarily those, but that sort of thing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Edge & Christian posted:

From the aforementioned hardcover supplement:
That was the pitch, though it was Dan Raspler (not Didio) who nixed it for stated reasons other than "it made DC heroes seem silly". As for the pitch itself:

Essentially gender swapped heroes

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yes, the two genders: Marvel and DC

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I remember hearing that the Marvel-ized Flash was a washed up pro athlete who takes an experimental PED and transforms into a nearly mindless creature of pure speed. He wanders the countryside trying to do good while seeking a cure, etc. Would have been a lot of fun to see.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I see it took about...a month? Less?...for DC to hop back on their anti-Wally programming, despite suggesting that they definitely won't do that anymore probably.

Looking forward to Batgirls for sure, though.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
If this is the dregs of Didio's 5g then it's not a surprise that the first thing he did after Heroes In Crisis was make Wally a horrible murderous villain possessed by EVIL that only Barry Allen, The One True Flash, can stop.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Barry Convex posted:

Future State details announced. it's a reworked 5G, alright

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1316741077953466368

Clark what are you wearing, good God man

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The creative teams seem really diverse, and it has a bit of a DC 1,000,000 vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm up for some DC 2099, why not?