Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the sex ghost posted:

I know news is meaningless and nothing matters any more but you would have thought the government legalising crimes committed by the government would have warranted a front page in one of the papers at least. Can't wait for the Betstapo to break my knees for winning too much on an accumulator

which newspaper wouldnt support this?

e: 230AD, death of Zhong Yao, a man with some of the best handwriting in history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently you have to be a "covert human intelligence source" as defined under the RIPA but I can't find where they actually define what one of those is or if there is anything stopping them from just declaring anyone to be one. As far as I know defining one would presumably fall to the same people though.

Also that would just mean that like, the DHSC can start churning out its own 00 agents.

Well, it's covert. Can't just go around telling people.

Also, going to love to be shot dead by HMRC because the classic video game I imported from Canada was cheekily said to be cheaper than it really is to save me on exhorbitant import fees.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently you have to be a "covert human intelligence source" as defined under the RIPA but I can't find where they actually define what one of those is or if there is anything stopping them from just declaring anyone to be one. As far as I know defining one would presumably fall to the same people though.

Also that would just mean that like, the DHSC can start churning out its own 00 agents.

It's basically anyone that the relevant agency says is one. Not just 00 agents, but Fingers Molloy down at the Rose and Crown.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah that's what I was thinking, so they're not just spies and cops but anyone the cops want to make a "covert human intelligence source"

But still, as far as I can tell there is nothing stopping the department of health and social care from training a crack squad of assassins to secure more funding.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

which newspaper wouldnt support this?

e: 230AD, death of Zhong Yao, a man with some of the best handwriting in history

No I mean like you would have thought even the mail or somebody would have had a bit of 'Boris kicks the poo poo out of lawyers and people who don't like crime' and a picture of him gurning and punching the air like he does, but no

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

is that true?*

*too lazy to check

Technically, yes. There were a bunch of Tories who didn't vote, because it was clear Labour weren't going to oppose it en masse.
If it hadn't been a forgone conclusion, Cummy would have called all the Tories in to vote it through.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Not specifically a response to this but CF if you are willing could you please post the left slate for the NEC elections once they start because you're literally the only reason I reupped my membership so I could vote in the thing.

The left slate is the Grassroots Voice slate, which you can read about here: https://futureweneed.com/. This time the voting is with STV rather than FPTP, so they’ve worked out a specific order to vote in in each region to maximise our chances. You can find out your order here: https://futureweneed.com/preference/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have bookmarked it and will check again to make sure once I get a ballot, thank you.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Is the CHIS bill the endgame of that Soldier F shithead?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

I agree with his bio when it says he needs to gently caress off and join the tories.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The little britain header is certainly helping.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

is that true?*

*too lazy to check

Yeah, think it was this bill that had a really low turnout to vote and the Tories won by fewer votes than there are Labour members. It was the same day the Labour Lords sat on their hands and abstained on a vote to block 50k evictions and again the Tories won with fewer votes than there are Labour peers.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah that's what I was thinking, so they're not just spies and cops but anyone the cops want to make a "covert human intelligence source"

But still, as far as I can tell there is nothing stopping the department of health and social care from training a crack squad of assassins to secure more funding.

Covert hit squads to hunt down quarantine breakers.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

I find it hard to get too worked up over the Spycops bill because Labour were right about one thing: the government already does all this poo poo. Undercover agents have literally murdered UK citizens on UK soil, it's public knowledge they did it, and nothing happens. They've infiltrated harmless left-wing groups, essentially raped the women in them, again public knowledge, and nothing happens. Functionally they will never be held account for those crimes so this bill changes nothing.

Don't get me wrong, it's a disgrace that Labour abstained and a complete slap in the face to victims. I just don't think it's actually the death knell for democracy because that already happened way back.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also agree with that assessment, putting it into law might increase the probability of it but the only opposition is going to come with a complete sea change in politics. The only defence against it is mass resistance.

Mostly it's just spectacularly stupid legislation.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

^^^ We may not necessarily agree with it, but there is a logical argument that it can sometimes be in the public interest not to prosecute someone for committing offences if they're achieving a greater good that can only be achieved if they commit offences. The practical effect of all this is to allow the public interest test to be applied before offences are committed and not after them; and for the decisions to be made by different people. It's a different way of cooking, but at the end of the day you still have an omelette.

OwlFancier posted:

RIPA section 26 subsection 6:

quote:

...A person is a covert human intelligence source if—

(a) he establishes or maintains a personal or other relationship with a person for the covert purpose of facilitating the doing of anything falling within paragraph (b) or (c);

(b)he covertly uses such a relationship to obtain information or to provide access to any information to another person; or

(c)he covertly discloses information obtained by the use of such a relationship, or as a consequence of the existence of such a relationship.

Further sections provide that it's unlawful to use someone as a CHIS without it being properly authorised, and/or without having a properly trained handler to supervise the CHIS and be directly responsible for their safety. (Which doesn't stop it happening, but does eventually come back to bite people in highly amusing fashion some years later in court.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 15, 2020

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
They've given the license to kill to the FSA because they intend to murder everyone involved in the production of proletarian snacks like monster munch.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

Oh poo poo they've given it to the gambling commision so they can go after anyone campaigning against betting machines haven't they? They're going to destroy people's lives because they are threatening the "economically important" betting industry.

This law is so loving broad it's actually mind boggling.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

RIPA section 26 subsection 6:

It's unlawful to use someone as a CHIS without it being properly authorised, and/or without having a properly trained handler to supervise the CHIS and be directly responsible for their safety. (Which doesn't stop it happening, but does eventually come back to bite people in highly amusing fashion some years later in court.)

Ah, so yes that is very broad, and from what I found the justification for authorizing them is broadly the same as the CHIS bill, but yes there is supposed to be someone "permanently working" at the agency or whatever as their handler.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Oh poo poo they've given it to the gambling commision so they can go after anyone campaigning against betting machines haven't they? They're going to destroy people's lives because they are threatening the "economically important" betting industry.

This law is so loving broad it's actually mind boggling.

As far as I could see in the RIPA they actually already had given all these weird agencies the power to covertly investigate people possibly as far back as 2000?? So the CHIS bill actually is just copying RIPA in terms of who it applies to but also legalizing criminal conduct.

So as with everything, it's blair's fault.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 15, 2020

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

they can also target children for rape, torture and murder too with this bill. stella creasy raised this and they gave the same vague "oh it's covered elsewhere" non-answer. gently caress me.

i think they're anticipating civil unrest as brexit and state asset stripping really bite. we were talking about the collapse of the USSR t'other day, this is exactly what you'd expect from a state gearing up for a series of systemic shocks innit. they need someone to do wet work but they can't be doing with a bunch of rolling scandals and lawsuits. easier to just legalise it all and let the MI5 subcontractors do what they want to e.g. people trying to unionise at a serco hospital in 2027 or whatever. leave the main agitators mutilated and catatonic, watch the terror spread and everyone quietly fall in line.

edit: yeah much of this stuff already happens but this is the most overt, unapologetic and broad sanction i've ever known them have for this kind of thing. there's not even a vague apologetic attempt to bullshit people on what this is.

gh0stpinballa fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 15, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

jabby posted:

I find it hard to get too worked up over the Spycops bill because Labour were right about one thing: the government already does all this poo poo. Undercover agents have literally murdered UK citizens on UK soil, it's public knowledge they did it, and nothing happens. They've infiltrated harmless left-wing groups, essentially raped the women in them, again public knowledge, and nothing happens. Functionally they will never be held account for those crimes so this bill changes nothing.

Don't get me wrong, it's a disgrace that Labour abstained and a complete slap in the face to victims. I just don't think it's actually the death knell for democracy because that already happened way back.

It's the difference between tacit permission and enthusiastic endorsement.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Trin Tragula posted:

^^^ We may not necessarily agree with it, but there is a logical argument that it can sometimes be in the public interest not to prosecute someone for committing offences if they're achieving a greater good that can only be achieved if they commit offences. The practical effect of all this is to allow the public interest test to be applied before offences are committed and not after them; and for the decisions to be made by different people. It's a different way of cooking, but at the end of the day you still have an omelette.

My complaint is that I don't think the former is true and I especially don't think the former is true in the case of the cops and the security services. I want them to stop doing that, I want them to be prosecuted for that, or preferably I would rather they did not exist altogether.

Even ignoring the complete vacuum of confidence I have in the ability of the cops and government to self regulate the use of that power somehow better than they already do.

I do not think there are unseen john mclaine's out there heroically saving lives by shooting up buildings full of terrorists and I don't think creating legislative sanctions for them is a good idea. We know what cops do with power and it isn't help us.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Oct 15, 2020

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

gh0stpinballa posted:

edit: yeah much of this stuff already happens but this is the most overt, unapologetic and broad sanction i've ever known them have for this kind of thing. there's not even a vague apologetic attempt to bullshit people on what this is.

Yeah I mean this is what really gets me, they have just dropped all pretence. It's basically saying get in line, or we'll kill you and rape your kids.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

like all the previous bills that legalised crimes the state was already doing but discouraged from, it will make those things much worse

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
turns out the gubmint have a new interactive covid map

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

(and a new 'experimental' dashboard)

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/simonmaginn/status/1316792246537277448?s=19

lol

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

turns out the gubmint have a new interactive covid map

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/details/interactive-map

(and a new 'experimental' dashboard)

https://coronavirus-staging.data.gov.uk/
What does 'supressed'mean? We have a huge housing estate near us (a <50 cases area) that's just a big, eerie blank.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume it means there are no recorded cases in that area.

Also woop woop living and working in 400+ zone!

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I assume it means there are no recorded cases in that area.

Also woop woop living and working in 400+ zone!

So few that reporting a number at all makes them traceable and reveals personal information when data can be cross compared. NHS usually suppresses the numbers if there are less than 6 of them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Where I live has one of the lowest rates in London :unsmith:

Every single place I've visited in the last 7 days is a loving plague pit :smith:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's straight up not allowing me to connect to the server.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Doesnt want you infecting it.

Lol, york is totally being swung by the big red blob that is right where the university is.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 15, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Actually this is interesting because you can actually track the different waves across the country, particularly the fact that pre-lockdown London had the highest infection rates in the centre of town, but now the highest rates are all in the commuter belt; forcing everyone back to the office working *swimmingly*.

In fact apart from South Tottenham all of the >200 areas in London are richer, lower-density areas, which could mean either that they're the kind of area where people are much more likely to go "Nah we won't get it here" or be full of people with the time to go get tested (and not worry about losing their jobs if they have to isolate).

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Mr Phillby posted:

Pratchett was writting better stories about wizard schools decades before Harry potter was a thing.

I realise theres some genuine derivative stuff based on HP but its frustrating how much other stuff gets lumped in with Harry Potter when 'magic boarding school' was already a very popular genre of British children's books for decades.

Uh. Unseen University is, well, very clearly a university, specifically Oxbridge. Not a school, boarding or otherwise. Totally different genre; Harry Potter is Billy Bunter With Broomsticks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's straight up not allowing me to connect to the server.

You complained about this last time this site came up, are you sure you've not got some weird issue with your connection (or have nullrouted gov.uk to keep them from being able to connect to you :tinfoil:)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Very emphatically a university in fact, most of its plots and jokes revolve around it being one.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

feedmegin posted:

Uh. Unseen University is, well, very clearly a university, specifically Oxbridge. Not a school, boarding or otherwise. Totally different genre; Harry Potter is Billy Bunter With Broomsticks.

Sourcery is definitely in the "kid goes to wizard school" genre.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Actually this is interesting because you can actually track the different waves across the country, particularly the fact that pre-lockdown London had the highest infection rates in the centre of town, but now the highest rates are all in the commuter belt; forcing everyone back to the office working *swimmingly*.

In fact apart from South Tottenham all of the >200 areas in London are richer, lower-density areas, which could mean either that they're the kind of area where people are much more likely to go "Nah we won't get it here" or be full of people with the time to go get tested (and not worry about losing their jobs if they have to isolate).

Which number are we using here, daily or per week?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You complained about this last time this site came up, are you sure you've not got some weird issue with your connection (or have nullrouted gov.uk to keep them from being able to connect to you :tinfoil:)

Or have you noscripted it, which flat out prevents me from using some websites if they have too many layers of cross connecting javascript.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Sourcery is definitely in the "kid goes to wizard school" genre.

I mean, yes, technically but it's a bit of a departure too :v:

Kid goes to wizard school and starts a metaphor for the arms race is not necessarily normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

feedmegin posted:

Harry Potter is Mildred Hubble with a penis and a saviour complex.