Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

babypolis posted:

it was insanely straightfoward, just go into the item world for a very high level item with the failure modifier that made all the enemies inside incredibly weak but they still gave out full XP
No the title affected the xp enemies gave, too.

However, the title was not applied to the random objects lying around you could summon your guys into, and so they got the xp for being summoned into a level 300+ item when your highest dude is like 20. And there was a good chance you'd get to keep the item afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/jl23vo.webm

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The Ys English dubs of old are something else. Ys 3 manages to get the entire intro cutscene wrong.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

volke doesn't get too many conversations but the ones he does get are good

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

posted the wrong line smh

the best one from that convo is "maybe i should just tell mist he's dead"

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I recently finished my New Game+ run of Battle Chasers: Nightwar. I went into that game expecting nothing and came out really loving it. It scratched a weird JRPG itch, despite having absolutely minimal story and characters. It's mostly just a bunch of dungeons on an overworld map - there's not many towns to explore or stuff like that. I'm not a big fan of dungeon crawlers, generally, so this surprised me a bit.

What drew me in was that it's from a bunch of people that made the Darksiders games. Darksiders was a pretty good 'dark and edgy' clone of Ocarina of Time with combo-heavy combat, but Battle Chasers is a little less grand in scope. Darksiders 2 leaned more into RPG mechanics with gear rarity and levels and such.... and Battle Chasers is kinda that stuff from Darksiders 2, in JRPG form. Yeah, I wouldn't think it sounds great either, when it's put like that - I didn't even like Darksiders 2 that much.

But the combat really hooked me, it's classic turn-based stuff, kinda similar to FFX or... Octopath Traveler? I just loved the chunky feeling of landing hits and the variety of abilities each character gets, plus the special abilities (called bursts) - the party has a shared pool of burst energy they can use to do big moves, like healing and dispelling, or attacking all enemies and stunning them, doing 3 moves in a row, etc. Characters also earn overcharge for certain instant actions, which they can then either use instead of actual mana or to power up some more time-consuming attacks.

But it also has issues, like the fact that it doesn't seem to really have an ending. It just ends without much resolution, like there was something more planned after the final boss but they ran out of time.

...I'm now hankering for another JRPG, I'm eyeing Tales of Vesperia since it landed on Game pass, but I've never played a Tales game before.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
vesperia is okay at best, mediocre at worst. its cast is fun but its story is very padded out and drops any real themes it tries to get going earlier on and its combat is some of the clunkiest in the entire series until you get to the very late game. it's not on gamepass but tales of berseria goes on sale for pretty cheap regularly and is a much better game if you're going to play any tales game

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I know Vesperia's combat is clunky and outdated but the people standing up for Berseria are crazy imho. The combat in that boils down to "mash Velvet's claw button over and over until the game ends". At least I had to vaguely try to make combos in Vesperia. At least talk about Graces or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

I know Vesperia's combat is clunky and outdated but the people standing up for Berseria are crazy imho. The combat in that boils down to "mash Velvet's claw button over and over until the game ends". At least I had to vaguely try to make combos in Vesperia. At least talk about Graces or something.

There are multiple other characters to play as if you don't like Velvet and if your argument is 'well that is the easiest' then no Tales Game really comes out ahead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
From what I played of a Vesperia it was way to clunky to bother with combos.

At least Berseria was easy enough to do combos without caring

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Easy combat is much much better than actively bad combat.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tales of vesperia is a tales game where the ability to perform basic evasive maneuvers is something you have to unlock and it takes up a skill slot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Berseria's combat is simple but at least playable. Vesperia's combat borders on unplayable for a solid third of the game, and only gets decent near the end. The decision to gate major gameplay features behind weapon skills was insane.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Man, calling it clunky is one thing, but "actively bad"? Come off it. It's perfectly functional even if it represents the last of the dying breed of TP-based Tales games. It's no Graces but I'd still place it solidly above Zestiria and Berseria at the very least. And yeah, I could play characters other than Velvet but I shouldn't be forced to switch who I'm playing if I want a balanced experience. I never had to do that for any OTHER Tales game.

Edit: This forum is extremely aggressive against Vesperia so I'm unlikely to be heard, but things like 'basic combat mechanics requiring skills' is not an objective con. It means the combat system is gradually evolving as you play, and rewards investment and forethought in weapon upgrading. Like, yes, they probably should've given the Arte Ball earlier in the progression, but other than that I genuinely prefer the gradual ramp up of skills rather than the 'dump everything on you at once' later games in the series do.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 15, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I won't come off it because it's true. Yuri is one of the worst playing characters in the entire series. The man's shoes are glued to the floor and all his basic attacks have about 75 years of endlag. Patty is the only enjoyable character to play as and she's incredibly touch-and-go with when shes available for the first half of the game.

I'd say Vespy's early game combat is worse than most any Tales game except Tempest.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
you are forced to do it in several tales games because several tales games prior to graces f have characters who are downright unplayable and out of vesperia's entire cast the only one who's fun to play as from the word go is someone who joins your party 20 hours into the game

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I did Vesperia 3 years ago and Berseria 2 years ago, so this isn't me talking about playing these games far off in the past. Vesperia's combat was horse poo poo, sluggish, and just a plain pain in the rear end. Berseria was much more fun.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Alright nevermind I'm just gonna quit this argument, I can see when I'm absurdly outnumbered. I dunno why I even tried to defend one of the most beloved Tales games elsewhere on the internet here.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
berseria's combat is pretty shallow and clearly them trying to hack something together out of a system full of ideas that straight-up didn't work but. it's hardly worse than the extreme clunk of early 3d tales games that vesperia kinda represents the worst of, xillia is the actual last bastion of tp-based tales and it plays much better

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Edit: This forum is extremely aggressive against Vesperia so I'm unlikely to be heard, but things like 'basic combat mechanics requiring skills' is not an objective con. It means the combat system is gradually evolving as you play, and rewards investment and forethought in weapon upgrading. Like, yes, they probably should've given the Arte Ball earlier in the progression, but other than that I genuinely prefer the gradual ramp up of skills rather than the 'dump everything on you at once' later games in the series do.
This'd be fine if the features unlocked were bonuses, but basic things like combat not feeling as clunky shouldn't be time gated or something you get as a 'reward.' Stuff like mystic artes or the F arc abilities are fine as things you get as the game goes on, but 'backstepping' isn't.

edit: also symphonia is the most beloved tales game so by that logic ti has the best combat in the series

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

at least let them try the game out since it's on gamepass at no further cost before you start going on about how vesperia is the worst thing in the world!

but yeah i would try it and if you're not feeling it after the first dungeon you're safe to stop playing because it won't get better until 40 hours in

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Alright nevermind I'm just gonna quit this argument, I can see when I'm absurdly outnumbered. I dunno why I even tried to defend one of the most beloved Tales games elsewhere on the internet here.

Symphonia is also one of the most beloved Tales games elsewhere. A lot of that beloved element is "I played this game when I was younger."

It is sort of like Final Fantasy where people have a lot of fond memories of them but objectively a vast majority of them are seriously broken games. FF6 is my favorite in the series but lol if you try to tell me it isn't a bug-ridden mess.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i didn't even initiate this argument calling it the worst game ever i just said it's mediocre and its combat is bad...

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

locking all of the fun poo poo like judiths aerial control in the last 3rd of the game sucked.

and you can like the game all you want! nobody is telling you different. nobody is also attacking you by not caring for it!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean you shouldn’t judge a game based on popular opinion.

I have played exactly three tales games, Xilia Vesperia, and Berseria.

Vesperia was defiantly the worst to play.

I played the remake so it was the prettiest

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah the remake of vespy looks really nice, i wish they'd gone in more for that kind of lightning. xillia had a few good looking bits like the starter town but was pretty bland, and bersy looked bland pretty much the whole time

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:

Infinity Gaia posted:

Man, calling it clunky is one thing, but "actively bad"? Come off it. It's perfectly functional even if it represents the last of the dying breed of TP-based Tales games. It's no Graces but I'd still place it solidly above Zestiria and Berseria at the very least. And yeah, I could play characters other than Velvet but I shouldn't be forced to switch who I'm playing if I want a balanced experience. I never had to do that for any OTHER Tales game.

I would not describe a game where people regularly have trouble with a tutorial fight because the game doesn't really give you the tools to take on multiple enemies with a single character as having "perfectly functional" combat.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

vesperia's combat is clunky but not that much worse than abyss or symphonia. its the bad cutscene direction (at least in the remaster where they messed with a lot of them to add patty, not that patty's bad but the execution is off everywhere), and the story not ever committing to being about the things it's purportedly about, that soured me on it.

also just a lot of Old JRPG Jank that most other series had jettisoned even by 2008 like e.g. a couple weird bits where you suddenly have to do a solo fight with a character and can game over easily if you're not ready for it, or yeah the entire item skill system.

it has a ton of signs of 'rushed/unfinished game' all over the second half in general, none of which were changed in the remaster.

Tales of Woe fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 15, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I played Vesperia after Abyss and I definitely felt it was worse. Everybody just felt slower and their normals were bad and fatal strikes existed. It wasn't a great time.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i feel weird for wanting a graces f remaster considering i just have to dust off and plug in my ps3 to play it... but i have to dust off and plug in my ps3 to play it!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think vesperia's combat is worse than abyss' but really it's all moot anyway cause 2d tales games were having way better combat systems at the same time the entire symphonia-vesperia line was coming out, 3d tales just stayed trapped doing worse versions of destiny 2's combat for a few years

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

After playing Genshin Impact for a little bit the combat in Berseria was really hard to go back to.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they're entirely different games...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

After playing Bayonetta for a bit the combat in Picross is hard to go back to...

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Edit: This forum is extremely aggressive against Vesperia so I'm unlikely to be heard, but things like 'basic combat mechanics requiring skills' is not an objective con. It means the combat system is gradually evolving as you play, and rewards investment and forethought in weapon upgrading.

no, the way vesperia handles it is an objective con. it's okay to gate skills behind progress or leveling. the tales series calls those, Artes.

it is NOT okay to gate basic combat functionality, like backstepping, dodge cancelling, or free run behind progress and leveling, and tying them to limited resources

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Oct 15, 2020

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
changing characters in berseria is part of the battle system i think, and while you can easily just crush claw with velvet the entire game you're really missing out by not engaging with the battle swap at all. chaining mystic artes together feels great

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Berseria is mostly pretty easy with Velvet but that felt like deliberate meta design, she starts as a Tales protagonist but almost immediately becomes an apocalyptic abomination

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
demon fang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Durendal posted:

After playing Genshin Impact for a little bit the combat in Berseria was really hard to go back to.

I too couldn't enjoy Berseria without mashing the attack button over and over desperately trying to make up for lovely gatcha rates.