Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Wark Say posted:

Those little Danelectro stompers are so drat dandy just to look at. :)

Goddamn they always sound good but are such a goddamn PITA to place on a board. Until I saw this I forgot how much I like that little guy with P90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

You're a sweet little bassbreaker
I wanna take you home there's just so much we can do

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Couldn't resist this, been thinking about one for a while. Hopefully it'll be fun and not something that just ends up gathering dust.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Added to my collection of lovely guitars

Hondo H700B, copy of the Fender Bullet H1. This one is from 1983 and has a replaced pickup, and the coil split no longer works. It does play pretty good, and now can sit in a rack next to the Lotus and Mako H2 copies I have.

I have to say again that Samick after ~1980 really was making decent guitars, but no one knows because out of the box they were rarely playable without a setup. At least the manufacturers are better about that now. Out of the box I haven't really had any unplayable new guitars in the last 10 years. Before then, sheesh, no wonder the low end got a bad reputation.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Couldn't resist this, been thinking about one for a while. Hopefully it'll be fun and not something that just ends up gathering dust.

I have an older one. Not a HB. I play around with it from time to time but always wanted a pedal steel. I’d love to see HB make a pedal steel. They’re so expensive.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

kenny powerzzz posted:

I have an older one. Not a HB. I play around with it from time to time but always wanted a pedal steel. I’d love to see HB make a pedal steel. They’re so expensive.

Got mine in the mail a couple of days ago. The strings were poo poo but that was expected from reading the reviews so I bought a Pyramid set (.018 - .060) which made a world of difference. Not sure if they strung it with a plain guitar set or what, but it was almost unplayable with the factory strings... also got a Shubbs tone bar since the one included wasn't getting any rave reviews.

Gotta say that with these minor upgrades it's a heck of a nice sounding instrument. Bright, full sound from the single coil, and not getting a ton of hum from it either. Tuners aren't as bad as I expected and it seems to hold the tune pretty well. Using open E right now but might experiment a bit with different tunings later.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

ugh

I live in a small apartment on the second floor, which means I basically haven't gotten to play drums since I moved in here (going on seven years ago)

I've off and on tried to think of ways I can play quietly/silently, but with my kit being a frankenstein of chunks of an electronic kit with parts of an acoustic kit, it's the worst of both worlds

so tonight I've been poking around, seeing what it'd cost to get, like, a bass drum and a floor tom (I have an acoustic snare and a set of rototoms, because I grew up a prog nerd), and put mesh heads on all those and then start looking at those, I dunno what you call them, cymbals with a zillion tiny holes in that aren't very loud, and use those.

and I'm sitting here trying to do some math with that and it's like $160 for one new floor tom and I flip over to the used section of guitar center's website and there's a fuckin' double-bass five-tom monstrosity in "good" (read: beat to poo poo, but probably still playable for a non-pro/non-gigger) condition for just under three hundred.

like, ugh

it's exactly the opposite of the sort of thing I should be considering, but the part of my brain that wishes I was in hawkwind is screaming at me like JUST loving GET IT AND FIGURE OUT HOW TO MAKE IT QUIET LATER

I'd probably honestly just set up half (or less) of it, at least until some point in the future when we move into a house.

but it's such a bad/good idea.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Probably the oddest thing I've ever bought

Let's look closer

Maestro, as in Gibson's super low-end line that used to be sold through Walmart. And a Non-Reverse Firebird. Supposedly a prototype for a model they never put into production. Would be about 10 years old according to the guy I bought it from. Has some scrapes and scuffs and dings, so it was played. Will need strings and setup, interested in taking it apart to see if there are any markings in the neck pocket or under the pickguard.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That looks like a rock n' roll machine.

Wheres Wallace
May 5, 2009

:) keep on keepin' on :)
Got a great deal on a used Line 6 Powercab 212.

My HX Stomp can finally push air and use less DSP for a cab sim.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Got mine in the mail a couple of days ago. The strings were poo poo but that was expected from reading the reviews so I bought a Pyramid set (.018 - .060) which made a world of difference. Not sure if they strung it with a plain guitar set or what, but it was almost unplayable with the factory strings... also got a Shubbs tone bar since the one included wasn't getting any rave reviews.

Gotta say that with these minor upgrades it's a heck of a nice sounding instrument. Bright, full sound from the single coil, and not getting a ton of hum from it either. Tuners aren't as bad as I expected and it seems to hold the tune pretty well. Using open E right now but might experiment a bit with different tunings later.

Sup fellow open-tuner.

DADGAD is always fun and really versatile. I do a variation of it on my resonator in DADADG. The tension on that 1st string is super high though... I've popped quite a few when switching tunings.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion

Got the LP/SG in June from Japan and have been happy. Just got the POG for a few hundred, drat. But love how it can emulate a bass and also play extremely downtuned metal with distortion. And of course... the wah is an absolutely essential piece of guitar gear.

Do you guys have any experience with Roland space echoes? I know the pedal is nothing like the box, but I think my next pedal will be a more quality delay/reverb and I need advice!

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

No advice but that is a gorgeous guitar. Gat dang.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Agreed on that guitar being really nice.
I would definitely get an Epiphone over a Gibson, at this point.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Gorgeous guitar. I had a Gibson SG ages ago that suffered the typical neck dive, and I’ve always wondered if having one with a vibrola would help alleviate that. How does that one hang?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Indeed that is a handsome guitar!

For your question: My experience with the Space Echo is that more than a little bit of its fame is sorta oversold and the price-gouging Roland/Boss is doing is completely loving stupid.

The pedal is fine and it having tap on tap (heh) actively makes it better than the OG Space Echo unit.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I owned a real RE-201 for several years in the 00s and if money were no object I’d buy another one (or an Echofix EF-X2) but since money presumably is an object and you’re already looking at digital modeling for your analog tape delay I’d personally skip the RE-20 and either get a do-everything delay like a Strymon Timeline or Boss DD-500 or, if you specifically want the multihead analog tape delay sound, a Strymon Volante.

lmbo calrissian
Feb 1, 2007

i'm into fashion
men are my passion
Thanks dudes. It's def my favorite thing that I own. The vibrato gets loosened very quickly. As for how it throws my tuning, I really don't know tbh. I still haven't adjusted the intonation either..

saw vids of the strymon volante and i'm diggin it. probably will go for something like this over the space echo then

gregday
May 23, 2003

First new acoustic in over 15 years, the Breedlove Stage Exotic Concert CE in Myrtlewood.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Building a baby pedal collection now that I've had the guitar a few weeks. Not pictured: a Chase Bliss Mood coming from Reverb on Friday. I was originally looking at other delay pedals, but the Cirrus popped up locally and seems to be well regarded... I'm still working on deciphering the billion different knobs. I'm planning on putting the Mood and Cirrus behind my synths, as well.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Oh hey, I actually have things to post!

Cab sim pedal. Sounds tremendous with even just a fuzz in front of it.

Excited to build some amp flavoured overdrives to go with it.

110ish year old guitar bodied mandolin I got from a pawn shop.

The neck is a bit bowed, meaning the fretboard has separated where it joins the body, but otherwise the body is looking pretty sound save for a couple of top cracks.

Guess I'm learning some luthiery to round out the year!

lmbo calrissian posted:

Got the LP/SG in June from Japan and have been happy.

Hell yes! Pelham Blue is such a sick colour.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

gregday posted:

First new acoustic in over 15 years, the Breedlove Stage Exotic Concert CE in Myrtlewood.

Looks the business, how does it sound?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

monolithburger posted:

110ish year old guitar bodied mandolin I got from a pawn shop.

The neck is a bit bowed, meaning the fretboard has separated where it joins the body, but otherwise the body is looking pretty sound save for a couple of top cracks.

Guess I'm learning some luthiery to round out the year!
This'll be a beauty when cleaned up.
Neck resets are pretty common on this age guitar even from the big boys it's just something that age and tension eventually win out on.

There's enough information about it on YouTube now that you should be able to find out whatever you need.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Thumposaurus posted:

This'll be a beauty when cleaned up.
Neck resets are pretty common on this age guitar even from the big boys it's just something that age and tension eventually win out on.

There's enough information about it on YouTube now that you should be able to find out whatever you need.

:yeah: There's just so many greybeard luthiers who've made videos about seemingly every situation/technique. It's so handy to have.

This is the video that sold me on buying this baby: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJ_STIiYi7I there's so much potential here.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The nice thing about selling classic gear like an MPC2000XL is that it holds its value. I basically got exactly what I paid for it, and with the dosh I was able to buy an MPC One. I sort of realized that I've been spoiled by DAWs with things like 'slice to MIDI note' features, and far too lazy to go back and learn the classic way to tweak breakbeats and other loops. I splurged on the LaunchPad Pro and FaderPort as well because A: my Ableton Push poo poo the bed and B: I've always wanted a motorized fader. Gonna put in some time this afternoon learning my way around the One.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

My addiction to Charvel continues. It is exactly what I have been looking for, a Telecaster Deluxe with a fast neck. It needs a setup but otherwise seems like a fine guitar.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Rad, the Duplantier Signature! A couple buddies said that it's "the perfect Tele for metal".

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Luna posted:

My addiction to Charvel continues. It is exactly what I have been looking for, a Telecaster Deluxe with a fast neck. It needs a setup but otherwise seems like a fine guitar.

A perfect thing. :wow:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Nothing special but my last gear purchase is in the lower right. It's a used MXR Analog Chorus that the previous owner took paint stripper to because he wanted to repaint it, then gave up, and just pawned it off onto a shop. That means I got it super cheap.

Yeah that's a Russian clone of the ZVEX Fuzz Factory. Don't ask.
The Pharaoh in the upper left is the #12 pedal ever made by them.
A handful of those blank BYOC pedals I built.
And, yes, I have a Metal Zone. Sue me.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Catastrophe posted:

Nothing special but my last gear purchase is in the lower right. It's a used MXR Analog Chorus that the previous owner took paint stripper to because he wanted to repaint it, then gave up, and just pawned it off onto a shop. That means I got it super cheap.

Yeah that's a Russian clone of the ZVEX Fuzz Factory. Don't ask.
The Pharaoh in the upper left is the #12 pedal ever made by them.
A handful of those blank BYOC pedals I built.
And, yes, I have a Metal Zone. Sue me.

Nice setup. I almost bought one of those Marshalls but I got good deal on a supro blues king. I've always wanted to try a pharaoh fuzz. I like metal zones and my favorite setting for the Boss Hm-2 is volume maxed, bass maxed, treble maxed, and gain at like 1. Both very unpopular opinions.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I have the same Donner tuner.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

Looks the business, how does it sound?

Not sure exactly how to answer without posting a recording. But compared to my cheap Alvarez RD8C, it's brighter, louder, crisper, and has great low action so I can play it much faster. I was a little undecided between this and going for a better known brand like Martin, Taylor, or Washburn. But after just one day, no regrets. This is perfect for me.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
I've been saving for months for my first new computer in over 7 years, but now there's a bunch of new video cards coming out now, so I feel I can get a better deal down the line a bit.

So I've had a Boss DD500 and the new Boss OC5 sitting in my Sweetwater cart for a few days.

But then last night, I saw Musician's Friend has the G&L ASAT I've been interested in for $70 off. Haven't had a New Guitar Day in 7 years....

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gl-tribute-asat-special-electric-guitar?rNtt=g&l%20asat&index=6

Feels sorta nice to have uptown problems for a change.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Added to my Hondo pile

Hondo H-703, three single coil copy of the Fender Bullet. Metallic black, factory black hardware.

They sure made a bunch of versions of a poor-selling, low-end guitar, and this was years before they started making the actual Squier version for Fender.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

widefault posted:

Added to my Hondo pile

Not gonna lie, you have a very weird fetish

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
My band is in the mastering stage of our first album.

I want to give everyone little gifts. I’m the guitar player so I need something for

Harmonica/Vocals
Bass
Drums
keyboard

Any suggestions for something fun or cute or musical or ??

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Bag of weed for each em, extra nuggies for your favorite, and a metronome for the drummer, and take his bag of weed for yourself

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I am Otis posted:

Bag of weed for each em, extra nuggies for your favorite, and a metronome for the drummer, and take his bag of weed for yourself

:hmmyes:

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I am Otis posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

I am Otis posted:

This is the only acceptable course of action.