Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

chaosbreather posted:

Imagine a future where your mum is hanging out with her friends on Horizon, making stuff, having a great time. Should an army of trolls be able to make her violently ill and traumatised with no consequences? Can such a system even survive the first attack? What you and others in this thread are advocating for is actually a society where terrorism is legal, or only results in being banned from the store that you attack, or a prison sentence of the next half hour.

gently caress just think about the shenanigans SA pulled in Second Life and how that made that entire platform commercially unviable to anyone who isn’t a sex worker.

I this thing that you're doing an example of this kind of trolling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Mantis42 posted:

lmao how pathetic do you have to be to defend facebook, literally simping for a hypercapitalist surveillance state because maaaybe they'll ban some of the nazis they create

Don't worry, they just want to make enable everyone to work from home and end the physical office, absolutely no data collection interests anymore!!! lol.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

There aren’t any cuddly indies in VR. Microsoft is a defence contractor who works closely with the NSA and who does its best to destroy small technology businesses. I believe Facebook is on the right track to carve out the space to make VR a real thing and I agree with their decision making, but yeah obvs as soon as Apple release their thing the Quests are going right into the trash.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 15, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Would getting a USB or PCI WiFi6 dongle for a desktop and creating an adhoc network for the Quest be the best option for low latency Virtual Desktop? I guess I could make it a bridge network if the Quest needs internet connectivity to run VDesktop.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

blue squares posted:

I tried the Superhot Demo and it was hard as hell, but pretty cool. Echo Arena looks fun but also maybe vomit inducing with all the movement?

Its free, give it a try. The movement is deceptively comfortable because you're controlling all movement 1:1 with your hands basically so the world reacts to your brain as your brain expects it to. Echo Arena is a little more hectic though than the single player game, Lone Echo which takes things slower. Lone Echo is another one of the must play games, especially if you're looking for single player campaigns. Its breathtaking just floating out above the rings of saturn, with AAA polish.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Anybody else getting a pretty noticeable fan buzz while using their Q2?

Started yesterday and doesn’t stop even when the Quest isn’t under load. That said, it doesn’t seem to get worse under load either.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Leathal posted:

Started yesterday and doesn’t stop even when the Quest isn’t under load. That said, it doesn’t seem to get worse under load either.

No, I can't say that's my case.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Leathal posted:

Nope, mine's completely silent. Probably worth reaching out to support.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

blue squares posted:

I've read a few lists of "best VR games" and all the lists have left me with doubts so I'll just ask in here. What are the can't-miss VR experiences (SteamVR or Oculus)?

I've gotten the most out of H3VR (PCVR) more than any other game. The dev is super active and there's changes all the time. It's not for everyone but it has some really cool modes.

Superhot is real good, Thrill of the Fight is literally a workout. I do tri-athlons and a 30 minute TotF session has me gasping.

"The Forest" is real good in PCVR. The game is a little janky anyway so some of the VR jank fits in nicely. The crafting system is perfect for VR though. I'd recommend playing this one with friends on Flat though, it's really funny for them to watch you in VR.

I enjoyed No Man's Sky in PCVR too. This one is a bit more controversial and the menu system is legit bad in VR. But the game works way better as a chill explore game and that fits in VR. Usually you can find it for like $15 too.

Leathal posted:

Nope.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
What's the best USB3 C to A cable out there right now for Link?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

blue squares posted:

I've read a few lists of "best VR games" and all the lists have left me with doubts so I'll just ask in here. What are the can't-miss VR experiences (SteamVR or Oculus)?

Vivecraft with SteamVR is honestly a list topper for me. The scale and stuff never gets old to me, idk. The official minecraft VR for non-java minecraft doesn't hold a candle to it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Alien Isolation is on sale. I know the VR is just controller which is fine, but overall is it worth playing in VR even with it being an unofficial mod/unfinished mode?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

veni veni veni posted:

Alien Isolation is on sale. I know the VR is just controller which is fine, but overall is it worth playing in VR even with it being an unofficial mod/unfinished mode?

It is the most frightened I’ve ever been in VR, for what it’s worth.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

Its free, give it a try. The movement is deceptively comfortable because you're controlling all movement 1:1 with your hands basically so the world reacts to your brain as your brain expects it to. Echo Arena is a little more hectic though than the single player game, Lone Echo which takes things slower. Lone Echo is another one of the must play games, especially if you're looking for single player campaigns. Its breathtaking just floating out above the rings of saturn, with AAA polish.

Thanks for this post. I will try it since it is free!

Lone Echo seems good, but I think it is only PCVR. I got that to work with Steam, but I haven't tried it via just the Oculus store. Is it the same process or is there another guide I need to follow to get that set up? I am on a Quest 2 and I can't tell if I can play it. I thought I could play anything at all if its coming from my PC, but maybe not.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 15, 2020

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

I've gotten the most out of H3VR (PCVR) more than any other game. The dev is super active and there's changes all the time. It's not for everyone but it has some really cool modes.

Superhot is real good, Thrill of the Fight is literally a workout. I do tri-athlons and a 30 minute TotF session has me gasping.

"The Forest" is real good in PCVR. The game is a little janky anyway so some of the VR jank fits in nicely. The crafting system is perfect for VR though. I'd recommend playing this one with friends on Flat though, it's really funny for them to watch you in VR.

I enjoyed No Man's Sky in PCVR too. This one is a bit more controversial and the menu system is legit bad in VR. But the game works way better as a chill explore game and that fits in VR. Usually you can find it for like $15 too.
Superhot is a must-grab, it's not even that spendy. It's so much fun being tee-ball John Wick.

blue squares posted:

Games I haven't seen mentioned for you yet:

- Until You Fall
- Robo Recall

UYF is my #1 favorite VR game. The soundtrack is awesome and the action kicks a lot of rear end. Lots of different ways to play the game.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just spent a couple hours on my new Q2.

Holy cow, I don't think I can go back to my Q1. The screen resolution on the 2 is just so much better.

That strap is garbage though.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

blue squares posted:

Thanks for this post. I will try it since it is free!

Lone Echo seems good, but I think it is only PCVR. I got that to work with Steam, but I haven't tried it via just the Oculus store. Is it the same process or is there another guide I need to follow to get that set up? I am on a Quest 2 and I can't tell if I can play it. I thought I could play anything at all if its coming from my PC, but maybe not.

So, if you plug a usb cable into the quest to your PC, and have the oculus software installed on your computer, it will ask you if you want to use link. At that point it acts as a rift PC headset and runs anything through the oculus PC store natively. If you're using Virtual Desktop then you'd actually have to use a program called revive to access it and at that point... just use link.

Some others you might want to check out on there as well (especially if you can catch them on sale) Chronos (a 3rd person dark souls style action RPG), Asgard's Wrath (a surprisingly meaty vr game with some 40 hours of content single player), stormland (better get your VR legs first for this one), robo recall (also has crossbuy with the quest so you can play the pc version or the quest version), and Lucky's Tale is worth checking out if you like mario style platformers, and its also free.

Another recent game I've enjoyed phantom: covert ops, which is on the quest native, but also cross buy with the PC version, and interestingly one of the first to have cross saves, so you can pick up where you left on one version on the other. Its a stealth espionage game, where you paddle a kayak, sounds silly but works well, though some of the kayak movement could make someone newer to VR sick potentially.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Opened a ticket for the fact that Q2 Link is not going above 2.0 speeds. Honestly, so far the link is kinda garbage for me. Virtual Desktop works surprisingly well though!

Maybe I'll go get a authentic link cable tomorrow.

Can anyone with a Q2 do me a favor? If you can test if the included cable can plug into a USB-C connection on your PC and show up as USB 3.0 in the Oculus test?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tom Guycot posted:

So, if you plug a usb cable into the quest to your PC, and have the oculus software installed on your computer, it will ask you if you want to use link. At that point it acts as a rift PC headset and runs anything through the oculus PC store natively. If you're using Virtual Desktop then you'd actually have to use a program called revive to access it and at that point... just use link.

Awesome. That’s what I do now for my Steam games and it works great (except for when it sits on a black screen and I have to restart everything multiple times)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Decided to grab Alien Isolation. Still DLing. I noticed it seems to support controller or touch controllers. How is the motion control support? What's going to be the smoothest experience? If the motion controls aren't good I'm fine with just using a controller.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
Picked up my Quest 2. It's updating right now but coming from a CV1 initial impressions are great. Screen clarity is awesome. I can definitely see the slight screen door too but it's night and day compared to the OG Rift.

I bought the link cable too but I might return it if the wireless works as well as a lot of people are saying.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

veni veni veni posted:

Decided to grab Alien Isolation. Still DLing. I noticed it seems to support controller or touch controllers. How is the motion control support? What's going to be the smoothest experience? If the motion controls aren't good I'm fine with just using a controller.

If you are using the Mother VR mod it's really excellent.
The thing with the game (and I suspect the reason they took out VR officially) is you will poo poo your pants.
VR is great at making you feel you are really 'there' which is great until 'there' is cowering under a desk trying not to breathe while shaking like a making GBS threads dog.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also the first time the xenomorph stabs you through the back and out your stomach it sure is..........something

:stare:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
God drat FNAF is intimidating in VR. I’ve played most of the games without issue but something about having the giant blue rabbit literally standing next to me makes my brain go “NOPE! NONE OF THIS!”.

Also I may murder my cat. Apparently me doing VR makes her very excited and she will inevitably start running around and knocking poo poo off tables which is distracting at best but nerve-racking when playing a horror game.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I just an Index as my first VR setup, and I've been a little disappointed in the clarity. I've spent a lot of time adjusting and readjusting the ipd, straps, and lense position and found a decent setting, but text is sometime difficult to read in the popup menus because the letters bleed a bit. I figured the lense was smudged so I wiped it down with a micro fiber but that doesn't seemed to have helped. Things are just a little fuzzy and the colors are a little muted, and the overall visual fidelity is significantly lower than playing on a normal 1080p monitor. Am I just expecting too much from this?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Riatsala posted:

Am I just expecting too much from this?

Pretty much. If you're just coming into VR, know that everybody reviewing headsets are grading them on a scale. The optics just ain't perfect yet.

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

Inacio posted:

oof, /r/oculus has tons of posts about their FB accounts being disabled.

Is there something about linking your FB account to your Quest that makes it more likely for your account to get flagged or is it just people getting caught in the election bot dragnet? Like I wonder if they do some kind of check when you link the account that is exacerbating this. Mine is arriving tomorrow and now I'm worried even though I've had my account for years and there's nothing suspicious about it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Riatsala posted:

I just an Index as my first VR setup, and I've been a little disappointed in the clarity. I've spent a lot of time adjusting and readjusting the ipd, straps, and lense position and found a decent setting, but text is sometime difficult to read in the popup menus because the letters bleed a bit. I figured the lense was smudged so I wiped it down with a micro fiber but that doesn't seemed to have helped. Things are just a little fuzzy and the colors are a little muted, and the overall visual fidelity is significantly lower than playing on a normal 1080p monitor. Am I just expecting too much from this?

Go into the SteamVR settings and you'll probably see "Resolution Per Eye" set to something like 130%. Turn it down to 100%.

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Carmant posted:

Is there something about linking your FB account to your Quest that makes it more likely for your account to get flagged or is it just people getting caught in the election bot dragnet? Like I wonder if they do some kind of check when you link the account that is exacerbating this. Mine is arriving tomorrow and now I'm worried even though I've had my account for years and there's nothing suspicious about it.

It'll be the fact the accounts are brand new rather than being anything to do with the Quest.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

Are the Q2 controller handles, where the battery is, about the same size/shape as the Q1? I have a few 3d printed items I got from Etsy that I'm curious will fit, like a grip with a side strap and the magnetic base for simulators.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

blue squares posted:

Pistol Whip is the best I've tried so far, by a long shot. It really clicks for me, and I don't have many complaints beyond "I want more levels."

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

veni veni veni posted:

There's no motion controller support for it, yet anyway. The most you can do it look around to aim your weapons, but you can't aim anything individually with your hands. It's still one of the most horrifying experiences ever.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
Got my quest 2 in today. Even with 69 ipd, it looks real good. Mainly just installed sidequest stuff. The beta for ancient dungeon is pretty cool. The art style reminds me of Legend of Dungeon. Lambda1vr doesn't fully work with the quest 2 just yet. There is an fov problem right now, it will make you sick. About to try out hexen.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Stan Taylor posted:

Pistol Whip is the best I've tried so far, by a long shot. It really clicks for me, and I don't have many complaints beyond "I want more levels."

This a million times. Please give us some CDLC.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Riatsala posted:

VR is still riding the bleeding edge of graphics power, despite what it may look like from a lot of the games, and pushing the kind of resolution you probably imagine in your head is hard.

Your index for example has a resolution per eye of 1440x1600, which it has to stretch across the entire field of view. Even if you blew up a virtual screen in VR to the size of an imax screen, spanning your vision from edge to edge, you're still getting at most a 1440 wide display. Compared to your 1080p monitor (which also has the benefit of a tiny "fov" a couple feet away), its not going to be as sharp. As far as mainstream headsets, the tail end of 2020 is only finally getting close to a 1920x1080 viewing experience (still, at imax size) with the Q2, and exceeding it with the G2.

Getting to a comparable clarity of a 1080p monitor 2 feet away is still a couple generations away (there are some ridiculous bespoke headsets you can get right now, but its not exactly mainstream consumer stuff), and then you have to remember thats only part of the battle. You also want as much FOV as possible, but the more you increase the FOV the more you lose that clarity once again. Until we have massive increases in performance power, its a tightrope walk getting it to look sharp enough, be wide enough, and still run good looking games at high frame rates (rendered twice).

That said, right now VR is more about the interactive experience, and immersive nature you can't get any other way. Besides, you're lucky to come in when you did, with kit like that. Look at what we were working with back at the launch of modern VR in 2016 (i won't even scare you with dk1/2 comparisons!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTaYQNghAxI&t=154s

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

The Quest 2 Costco pack is back in stock which seems ideal to me. The Q2 256gb, Elite strap, and fit pack for $430, which is like 70 less than elsewhere. I'm hovering over the checkout button...
https://www.costco.com/.product.1490909.html
I keep spending too much on this stuff but can't help it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I am blown away by how much better Virtual Desktop is than link. The bit-rate with link feels super low (I’d love to look at some debug to see what it is, or better yet, be able to tweak it) even after setting the encode resolution to 3664. It’s softer and there are lots of compression artifacts. My cable is being detected as USB 3.0 so there should be enough bandwidth to match what I’m doing over my Comcast rental router with Virtual Desktop. In Virtual Desktop I set the bit-rate to 70 (default is 91) and I feel absolutely no lag whatsoever, the colors pop more than link (someone at oculus says this is artificial but who cares when it looks good), and everything is so much sharper. Plus I don’t have to have a cable in.

Tonight I was testing with Assetto Corsa and the frame rate stayed at a solid 72 on a fairly complex track in a pretty detailed car.

The quest 2 completely falls to pieces with something as heavy as a flight-sim though. X-plane using the better Vulkan rendering engine is just unplayable with the quest 2 in either Virtual Desktop or link. CPU usage is really high in x-plane but I’ve got a 9900k overclocked, there’s not much more I can do about that. Add the video encoder for link or virtual desktop on top of that and it’s just not enough juice.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 16, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Would getting a USB or PCI WiFi6 dongle for a desktop and creating an adhoc network for the Quest be the best option for low latency Virtual Desktop? I guess I could make it a bridge network if the Quest needs internet connectivity to run VDesktop.

I read dongles don't work as well as proper routers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Do we have any indication that the G2 will have a wireless option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doesn't seem likely, there's been no mention of it.