Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

:chiefsay: Just as long as you don't sell DRMO items or show them off

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/08/05/chief-loses-anchors-after-pleading-guilty-to-stealing-gear/

Edit: I always find it hilarious how people will get hemmed up over such little money or local/state politicians with bribes and then you have MIC/Wall Street/Trump just openly doing millions and can't touch it. Great system we have

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Happy Birthday to the United States Navy.

245 years of tradition, unhindered by progress.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

This completely hosed me because I got out at Great Lakes and my HOR was southeastern Wisconsin.

I grew up in Hawaii but enlisted from California. I got hosed both by not getting my poo poo shipped home when I got out but also by having to pay Hawaii state income tax.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Proust Malone posted:

I grew up in Hawaii but enlisted from California. I got hosed both by not getting my poo poo shipped home when I got out but also by having to pay Hawaii state income tax.

Oof. California doesn’t collect taxes on military income unless you have permanent orders there.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Suicide on the TR yesterday. A pier watchstander turned their own gun on themselves. :(

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Maybe it's just because I'm mob'd, so I'm having daily contact again, but it feels like suicide rates are spiking throughout the fleet.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

It would be real cool if DOD would put out the Quarterly Suicide Report quicker than 6+ months lagging since we are in mid-Oct and they have only released Q1 CY2020 so far

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Maybe it's just because I'm mob'd, so I'm having daily contact again, but it feels like suicide rates are spiking throughout the fleet.

Your feeling is correct. The rate has been spiking since essentially the quarantine started.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1316430489561989121?s=19

Gonna review it and, wouldn't you guess it, the ban stays :chiefsay:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/Militarydotcom/status/1316430489561989121?s=19

Gonna review it and, wouldn't you guess it, the ban stays :chiefsay:

MCPON actually talked about this earlier this year to my P-CO class. Long and the short of it is you are correct.

The policy was reviewed last year at some point and the Naval Safety Center commissioned a "study" that said even some ridiculously low facial hair length prevented masks of various sorts from sealing. Thus beards equal dead sailors, cats and dogs living together, and mass hysteria.

The fact that civilian fire fighters and the Royal Navy get around it, or that beard wear rules could be tailored depending on duty assignment seemed to not weigh on the decision at all.

As much as I would love to grow a beard, I'm not holding my breath on this one.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Well that concludes Hispanic heritage month.
My piñata was a success and took a lot of effort to bust.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

LingcodKilla posted:

Well that concludes Hispanic heritage month.
My piñata was a success and took a lot of effort to bust.

did you fill it with dildos?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I like the toilet paper rolls for structural stability. Its a nice touch.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I like the toilet paper rolls for structural stability. Its a nice touch.

Thanks. Three coats and a honey comb structure made it a bitch to bust because I got some big loving dudes on this boat and I wanted all the peeps to get a shot.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Make Fish Names Great Again!

SSN-804 will be named "Barb"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrMojok posted:

Make Fish Names Great Again!

SSN-804 will be named "Barb"

:black101:

gently caress yes.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Call me back when the Wahoo gets named.

Edit: Just because it sounds funny but is still a cool fish name. Not any Navy historic reasons.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hanging out in San Diego for a few days waiting on my NALO; it's neat seeing V-22's flying around done up in COD livery.

Laranzu posted:

Call me back when the Wahoo gets named.

Edit: Just because it sounds funny but is still a cool fish name. Not any Navy historic reasons.

Hopefully not until the Cleveland Indians get rid of their racist-rear end mascot, otherwise I foresee a lot of very problematic decorating choices in the chiefs' mess.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Hanging out in San Diego for a few days waiting on my NALO; it's neat seeing V-22's flying around done up in COD livery.

Hopefully not until the Cleveland Indians get rid of their racist-rear end mascot, otherwise I foresee a lot of very problematic decorating choices in the chiefs' mess.

Officially, they did.

Only took until 2018 :ughh:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Oh, wow, I guess they did. I remember seeing they had sort of informally stopped using it on their hats, but it looks like they've now officially dropped it.

I liked the proposal to rename them the Commanders or Commodores with a Commodore Perry theming. There were some cool logo ideas floating around about it.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Oh, wow, I guess they did. I remember seeing they had sort of informally stopped using it on their hats, but it looks like they've now officially dropped it.

I liked the proposal to rename them the Commanders or Commodores with a Commodore Perry theming. There were some cool logo ideas floating around about it.

The Japanese would probably love it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

https://twitter.com/Aviation_Intel/status/1317147069690171392

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Looks like an amphib two days after leaving the pier.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Those poor guys. Meanwhile big navy keeps posting on Facebook/Twitter about it like it’s something to be proud of.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Don't worry I'm sure someone slightly up the chain is already screaming at them to unfuck their ship and get it sat now

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

fuuuuuuuuuck you if you're still in

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

Gray Matter posted:

fuuuuuuuuuck you if you're still in

Hey so glad to quote this and loving mean it.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009
What would make that even better is if INSURV walked up to them and said that they were going to have it starting on Tuesday.

gently caress, depot-level repairs on the plant while underway? That just sounds absolutely miserable. Also, reset periods? Those sailors never got to reset. Maybe 6 hours a week where they aren't necessarily expected to do anything at all? If a single one of those sailors stays in after that bullshit I'll be shocked.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
At least while you're hanging over the side painting the ship you don't have to hear people talking about the drat election :smithicide:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

drat my time in the navy was never remotely THAT bad

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Can't be that bad to do maintenance at sea on those can it? Its not like youre pulling a slow speed piston at sea or anything.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

At least while you're hanging over the side painting the ship you don't have to hear people talking about the drat election :smithicide:

You guys put people over the side at sea? What the gently caress.

That amount of time is gross though.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

lightpole posted:

Can't be that bad to do maintenance at sea on those can it? Its not like youre pulling a slow speed piston at sea or anything.

You guys put people over the side at sea? What the gently caress.

That amount of time is gross though.

Our mini chiefs mess have pulled the "starving sailors in Africa have it worse shut up" about anything they don't want to answer. Meanwhile big Navy acts so proud of 200+ day reverse-recruitment records. /shrug

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It’s a sick competition between CO’s who are trying to get their names in the history books.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

215 straight is some incredible bullshit. gently caress everyone responsible for that. I think our most was like 56? And people were definitely ready to fight.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SquirrelyPSU posted:

215 straight is some incredible bullshit. gently caress everyone responsible for that. I think our most was like 56? And people were definitely ready to fight.

Buddy of mine just got back from a 9 month deployment, 0 liberty ports, and 133 days straight at one point.

Americans aren’t welcome in most of the world right now due to plague, remember?

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

Buddy of mine just got back from a 9 month deployment, 0 liberty ports, and 133 days straight at one point.

Americans aren’t welcome in most of the world right now due to plague, remember?

Oh, I get it. Bosses had no choice, cost of remaining mission capable in a pandemic, etc. Doesn't make me less angry vicariously for everyone on that ship.

I bet they got "well, there's a pier that we can tie to about a week and a half away, so if we do really well during Zone Inspections this week, I think I can pull some strings with the Prime Minister" at least once.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
CO: who's ready for another steel beach picnic!!!???
Crew: kill me please, end this torment.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I thought 28 days was bad.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

loving :lol: if you think the CO was cool with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Meanwhile in the Seabees back to back six day work weeks causes breakdowns