Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shame Boy posted:

The nuclear power plant in south Florida has a website where they make a big deal of how all the heat they dump into the fragile ecosystem is actually Very Good for the local wildlife, here look at this adorable baby endangered crocodile, they live in the coolant water discharge sluice system because they like the warmth, do you want him to die huh? huh??lurry pond, look only at the adorable manatees. Thank you.

yeah nah thermal pollution is real and it’s bad

It’s just much less bad than the other kind of pollution.

Like, killing birds is always bad, but blocking wind power development over it is counterproductive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
At this point the main point of pretending hydrogen cars are just around the corner is to try and stem the tide of electric cars

there are some potential niche uses though like city busses

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Release heat as steam bing bong nuclear seasteading now

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Platystemon posted:

yeah nah thermal pollution is real and it’s bad

It’s just much less bad than the other kind of pollution.

Like, killing birds is always bad, but blocking wind power development over it is counterproductive.

Nah birds are a gently caress, kill en all 2012

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Arizona’s Palo Verde nuclear plant uses municipal wastewater for cooling, but even that is kind of expensive in the desert, so they’ve been looking at tapping a salty aquifer and using some of that brine.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
e nm this was afddressed

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Is there a reason potable water can't be part of the cooling loop? Just deliver slightly warmer water to residents?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ShadowHawk posted:

Is there a reason potable water can't be part of the cooling loop? Just deliver slightly warmer water to residents?

You'd need a hell of a lot of it, moving at a constant predictable rate, and people would definitely complain about the NUCLEAR WASTE WATER or whatever even though it's not actually dangerous.

Like if water usage in your city dips you gotta keep running the heat exchangers so what are you gonna do, dump the excess clean water?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

It's like how the water that comes out of wastewater treatment plants is clean enough that we could just put it back into the water purification plant, but no that's icky TOILET TO TAP or whatever so instead we have to inject it into the aquifer and then immediately suck it back out of the aquifer for no reason.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Shame Boy posted:

people would definitely complain about the NUCLEAR WASTE WATER or whatever even though it's not actually dangerous.

Doesn't it create a small but undesirable risk that if a pipe leaks you get mildly radioactive drinking water?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Shame Boy posted:

It's like how the water that comes out of wastewater treatment plants is clean enough that we could just put it back into the water purification plant, but no that's icky TOILET TO TAP or whatever so instead we have to inject it into the aquifer and then immediately suck it back out of the aquifer for no reason.

Ahahahaha that reminded me of ... Seattle I think it was? Two kids peed in the aquifer and the residents got their panties in such a twist that they emptied the entire thing.

Which was several million litres.

And upstream of the water treatment system.

Well done, Freedumbland

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Chamale posted:

Doesn't it create a small but undesirable risk that if a pipe leaks you get mildly radioactive drinking water?

would still be less rad exposure than most americans get from inhaling coal plant pollution lmao

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Weatherman posted:

Ahahahaha that reminded me of ... Seattle I think it was? Two kids peed in the aquifer and the residents got their panties in such a twist that they emptied the entire thing.

Which was several million litres.

And upstream of the water treatment system.

Well done, Freedumbland

Portland https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2014/04/17/304128931/one-mans-pee-pushes-portland-to-flush-38m-gallons-of-water

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

just fuckin nuke me up

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Boil the oceans with nuclear power and turn them all into one enormous freshwater pond

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Cheers. Also looks like I was wrong: it was treated water that goes into the mains, not water yet to be treated. Still, a litre (max) of pee in 38 million litres gallons of water is a literal drop in the bucket.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Weatherman posted:

Cheers. Also looks like I was wrong: it was treated water that goes into the mains, not water yet to be treated. Still, a litre (max) of pee in 38 million litres gallons of water is a literal drop in the bucket.
It's an 8X homeopathic solution

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sell it by the gallon to 38 million german perverts, problem solved.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ShadowHawk posted:

It's an 8X homeopathic solution

Equivalent to an 8x solution. It's not properly prepared by a Certified Homeopathic Practitioner so it's not an effective dose.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shame Boy posted:

Sell it by the gallon to 38 million german perverts, problem solved.

Get a gamer girl to take a bath in the reservoir ---> profit

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SpacePig posted:

Equivalent to an 8x solution. It's not properly prepared by a Certified Homeopathic Practitioner so it's not an effective dose.

Quackery!

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SpacePig posted:

otherwise it’s just sparkling whizz.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

gently caress my life into pieces

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Platystemon posted:

otherwise it’s just sparkling whizz.

Yeah it's gotta come from the Piss region of France too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Turns out we got STEMinists from Raytheon, Pratt & Whitney and Collins Aerospace, all your favorite terrifying hell machine companies here to inspire the next generation! You go girls!!

https://twitter.com/jkmgarofano/status/1283105647819661312

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
this D&D alignment chart is weird

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/jkmgarofano/status/1303141879635214337

The exciting part of the job is the part where you Create Value for your employer!

Don't STEM careers sound great girls?

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this D&D alignment chart is weird

Woops! All Lawful Evil!

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Water from a power plant cycling can become contaminated. I grew up near a big rear end coal plant that had a retaining lake for its water and people would fish out of it. DNR closed the lake because the water was so polluted people were getting sick.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peanut President posted:

Water from a power plant cycling can become contaminated. I grew up near a big rear end coal plant that had a retaining lake for its water and people would fish out of it. DNR closed the lake because the water was so polluted people were getting sick.

It's possible it came from the cooling system, but I bet it came from a nearby fly ash slurry lake or something like that since those are generally just like, out there, and can overtop or leak into adjacent bodies of water real easy.

Sometimes they also catastrophically fail and that's fun for everyone:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Fossil_Plant_coal_fly_ash_slurry_spill

quote:

The 1.1 billion US gallons (4,200,000 m3) of sludge were enough to fill 1,660 Olympic-size swimming pools,[28] and the volume released was about 100 times larger than the 1989 Exxon Valdez oil spill[2][29] and about 10 times greater than the volume released in the 2010 Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill, the largest oil spill in history.

Coal!

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 18:07 on Oct 15, 2020

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Weatherman posted:

best part is the reservoir isn’t even covered so birds can poo poo in it all day long

unrelated, portland doesn’t fluoridate their water and it’s a very controversial topic for everyone

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

More like breaking bunkers

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shame Boy posted:

It's possible it came from the cooling system, but I bet it came from a nearby fly ash slurry lake or something like that since those are generally just like, out there, and can overtop or leak into adjacent bodies of water real easy.

Sometimes they also catastrophically fail and that's fun for everyone:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingston_Fossil_Plant_coal_fly_ash_slurry_spill

Coal!

"it does have some heavy metals within it, but it's not toxic or anything" is one of my all-time favorite quotes

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

at last, society recognizes my true gender identity

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

Turns out we got STEMinists from Raytheon, Pratt & Whitney and Collins Aerospace, all your favorite terrifying hell machine companies here to inspire the next generation! You go girls!!

https://twitter.com/jkmgarofano/status/1283105647819661312

"Well, my best advice would be to destroy the voice inside you that says it's wrong to profit from the killing of others. ^^"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

i am harry posted:

"Well, my best advice would be to destroy the voice inside you that says it's wrong to profit from the killing of others. ^^"

Not THAT kind of disruption!

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

T-man posted:

The real solution is communism

always has been

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1316769175545749505