Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which House?
Black Eagles
Blue Lions
Golden Deer
View Results

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Deltasquid posted:

Oh yes she owns, although I would suggest putting her through the magic classes before going war cleric. The reason I say this is because putting her in war cleric will buff her strength anyway to like 15, so tanking her strength isn't too bad early, and she gets a skill that lets her punch poo poo using her magic stat, so ideally that should be the highest stat anyway.

Normally I might have done this, but I'm being purposefully perverse this run and trying radically different classes with characters than I have done before. Constance is a Myrmidon now, and I'll probably make her a mercenary or thief next just because she has an affinity for swords, and there are no punching-based classes for women. (Though I guess the mastery skill from Brigand would be more useful.)

I finished the Red Canyon mission, and it was ok, but I could feel how weak a lot of my units were for the roles that I had jammed them into. Doing the side missions during the following month is where I've really noticed the difference though. Holy crap, I need like 2-3 units to kill each enemy a lot of the time. And it's not because everyone's under-leveled. I put my professor rate at A+ right away, so I've been able to level people up plenty.

Mercedes is now a fighter. I've been forcing her to use bows, and she never does more than like 5 damage.

Lysithea has just become a Myrmidon, and she's been ok with swords. She's pretty good at dodging, which is good since she has like no defense or HP.

Leonie learned to shoot fire out of her fingers and is now a Monk. She's ok at it I guess. Same goes for Ferdinand except that he can shoot lightning and (thank god) heal people.

Linhardt is a Myrmidon just because of his affinity for swords. I'm still thinking I might have him focus on punching fools and go Brawler -> Grappler.

Hubert is plugging away at using bows and lances. I just made him into a Soldier. He does more damage than Mercedes, to his credit.

I've been relying on healing items and gambits WAY more in this playthrough so far than I did in previous ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Amppelix posted:

honestly the way people will instantly decide a character is awful if they seem like a bad person has never made sense to me. i mean it kinda does, it's only human to dislike people who seem awful, but like. it's a character. the purpose of characters is not to be your friend and have fun times with you, it's to bring interesting and entertaining writing to the table.

like, for a relevant example, i've seen people not do any of lorenz's supports because he seems like (and kinda is) an unlikable fop. don't you *want* to see people dunking on him? you can't have scenes like that if there's no character to dunk on!

Like his and Sylvain's supports are good because Sylvain dunks on Lorenz's lack of game. Of course in said supports Sylvain also strikes out but we know that the man can close the deal, he was just off that time.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Amppelix posted:

honestly the way people will instantly decide a character is awful if they seem like a bad person has never made sense to me. i mean it kinda does, it's only human to dislike people who seem awful, but like. it's a character. the purpose of characters is not to be your friend and have fun times with you, it's to bring interesting and entertaining writing to the table.

like, for a relevant example, i've seen people not do any of lorenz's supports because he seems like (and kinda is) an unlikable fop. don't you *want* to see people dunking on him? you can't have scenes like that if there's no character to dunk on!

agreed 100%. Some of my favourite characters are awful people and liking a character does not mean you identify with and agree with every one of their traits, which the internet really seems to struggle with

Shinon in PoR/RD for example is probably my favourite character in those games and he is an unrelenting bag of poo poo, but they would be worse without him in them

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Amppelix posted:

Lorenz's supports with Claude and Dorothea are my favs for him, and both for the relationship growth reasons. Claude because they go from political adversaries to committed allies, and Dorothea because you can see the *exact* moment in their A support when the switch in his brain flips from "alas, it can never be" to "I must have this woman!" and it's great b/c she's pretty much everything he was told to never want.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Inu posted:

Normally I might have done this, but I'm being purposefully perverse this run and trying radically different classes with characters than I have done before. Constance is a Myrmidon now, and I'll probably make her a mercenary or thief next just because she has an affinity for swords, and there are no punching-based classes for women. (Though I guess the mastery skill from Brigand would be more useful.)

War Cleric exists now.

Also hilariously one of Constance's goals ends up being Swordmaster.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

McTimmy posted:

War Cleric exists now.

She wants to be a Jedi.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

McTimmy posted:

War Cleric exists now.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't clear. I'm aiming for her to be a war cleric in the end, I meant that there are no punching classes leading up to that for her.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Lorenz's biggest issue is that he exists in a game with Ferdinand as they both have a similar character archetype but with Ferdinand it is a lot less grating.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why is that an issue

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hunt11 posted:

Lorenz's biggest issue is that he exists in a game with Ferdinand as they both have a similar character archetype but with Ferdinand it is a lot less grating.

I greatly disagree. Both are improved by having the other around, as it gives us two different views of a similar ideology. Hell, they have a support together that puts this in the forefront, making it clear just how different they actually are.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Apropos of nothing, for anyone who has the DLC, 65,000 renown, and want to break the gold/renown management to just go super ham, there's a relatively new overflow glitch discovered using the Pagan Altar.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WTEVcIF3zyXuWt3NMXY159OtLzrmjefQmbIRopH-a6w/edit#gid=0

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Apropos of nothing, for anyone who has the DLC, 65,000 renown, and want to break the gold/renown management to just go super ham, there's a relatively new overflow glitch discovered using the Pagan Altar.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WTEVcIF3zyXuWt3NMXY159OtLzrmjefQmbIRopH-a6w/edit#gid=0

That seems interesting (especially since I want to max all the supports between everyone in one last run) but incredibly tedious.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

if you have the renown, you can just use it once to make big moneys and lose nothing, you don't need to do the renown grind part.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Golden Deer just kinda...ends huh? Not even a second phase to the final boss fight!

Guess on to Blue Lion playthrough now.

Edit:corrected animal. Lions roar, not Eagles :v:

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Oct 15, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Blue Eagle is my favorite route. My favorite lord is Edelmitri.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Hellioning posted:

Blue Eagle is my favorite route. My favorite lord is Edelmitri.

Claudeguarde is best

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Shame Boy posted:

Golden Deer just kinda...ends huh? Not even a second phase to the final boss fight!

You wouldn't be able to handle the majesty a second phase would require after listing to God-Shattering Star for 40 minutes. :colbert:

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

The Shame Boy posted:

Claudeguarde is best

Stop looking at my AO3 bookmarks!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The second phase is when you attack him in the first turn but don't manage to kill him.

Then you realise he moves

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Natural 20 posted:

The second phase is when you attack him in the first turn but don't manage to kill him.

Then you realise he moves

This was me the first time i did the map

The second is when i tried using the ballista to do it on purpose.

At least the cutscene after you beat him is true to how it went down in game play. Byleth up front with Claude in the back weaving in and out with this arrows.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm having a lot of fun in my less-than-ideal class playthrough. Everyone's just past level 10 now.

Lysithea is actually doing pretty well as a Mercenary. She definitely doesn't dish out damage the way a character with higher innate strength would, but she's doing a lot more than earlier in the game, and she's good at dodging enemy attacks.

Constance and Linhardt are also rocking the gauntlets. I think I've been sleeping on training gauntlets as a really effective early-game weapon up until now. I guess because they're really light, even characters without really high strength can still manage to quadruple and put out some damage with them. Constance is also a Mercenary, and Lindhart mastered Myrmidon and is a fighter now while I wait for his fist ability to get to C so I can put him in Grappler.

I also finally got Hubert up to archer after going through soldier, and he's starting to actually do some damage now that he's up past level ten. I probably should have sent him through fighter though for the strength plus 2 ability.

Mercedes (fighter, soon to be archer) and Dorothea (thief) are still kind of bad at doing any damage, and I basically have to use their combat arts every time they attack if I want them to ever do more than than like 5 damage.

This playthrough has created a weird dynamic where, I'll have frontliners who take almost no damage from mages. Usually, when someone like Raphael is out front and gets hit by a magic attack, it's like, well, he's going to take some damage. But with, say, Linhardt on the frontlines, his innate resistance is still having enough of an effect since it's early in the game that he'll take minimal or no damage when a mage attacks him.

This is a really fun way to play the game if you haven't tried something like this yet!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Playing against type rules and I've ran physical powerhouse Lysithea four times now.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Inu posted:

while I wait for his fist ability to get to C so I can put him in Grappler.
i know you're probably just doing this for flavour but this reminded me that brawler (grappler is the advanced class) is as close to a worthless class as this game gets. The only reason to ever put anyone in it is, indeed, just for flavour, or if you refuse to train any weapons other than gauntlets on them. and when are you ever doing that instead of at least training both axes and brawling to get to war master?

on top of your unit probably being able to qualify for the invaluable brigand, it has the worst mastery ability of all intermediate classes, and no class abilities to give it any utility of its own. unarmed combat is just so useless.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Amppelix posted:

i know you're probably just doing this for flavour but this reminded me that brawler (grappler is the advanced class) is as close to a worthless class as this game gets. The only reason to ever put anyone in it is, indeed, just for flavour, or if you refuse to train any weapons other than gauntlets on them. and when are you ever doing that instead of at least training both axes and brawling to get to war master?

on top of your unit probably being able to qualify for the invaluable brigand, it has the worst mastery ability of all intermediate classes, and no class abilities to give it any utility of its own. unarmed combat is just so useless.

Unarmed combat would've at least had a niche if they would've allowed you to use combat arts with them. But you can't even do that.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

wait, ok, let's be fair to brawler. i did forget one thing. brawlers (and grapplers) have thief movement, meaning they aren't impeded by forest. that's an actually useful property that i might see myself classing someone into brawler for if they already have the gauntlet rank for just for a few maps where it would help.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Yes but punching a horse to death with your bare hands.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
There's uses for unarmed combat but most of the characters that'd want it also end up in Grappler & War Monk, thus getting it innately. Its a really bad mastery ability in this context. That alone isn't a reason to run someone as a Brawler though, just that its mastery is wash. Its move, ability to be a guard adjutant, and growths are all interesting sides to it as an intermediate class, though its still worth running people through Brigand as well or instead, especially if you want Death Blow.

Also, suggesting that the only thing to do is train to go War Master is pretty silly. Fierce Iron Fist is loving great, and while its Grappler Locked as mentioned Grapplers have 6 move and no terrain penalty making Grappler a perfectly fine Endgame class with it.

Rimusutera fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Oct 17, 2020

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

ok being doubly fair i also forgot about guard adjutants. i guess brawler has a decent little package of utility after all

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Amppelix posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to be effective in this run. Linhardt as a gauntlet user was actually one of the first ideas I had for this run since he has those supports with Caspar about how to fight. It is 100% for flavor.

With that said, Brigand's death blow is pretty useful, so maybe I'll have Linhardt switch to Brigand at some point. Unfortunately, he has a bane in fists AND axes, so this is going to be slow going for him. (I started the game with him only learning gauntlets since I figured he would not level up his punching ability as quickly as other characters, so I haven't trained him in axes as much, and he's not even at C yet.)

Actually, I have a question about how a mechanic in this game works. Maybe someone knows?

When you equip a class it will have proficiency in some things. For example, Brigand has Axe +2 Brawl +1. Does this mean that every time that unit engages in battle, they are getting one point of brawl and two points of axe, even if they don't actually use either of those weapon types? Or is it more like they will get an additional +2 to Axe every time they use an axe, and an additional +1 to brawl every time they use a gauntlet?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
For weapons I think it’s the latter, and I wanna say the former for armor/riding/flying; as long as you’re in a class with one of those it gains a point per fight.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Aura Knuckles are a thing so in all honesty you should probably pick up Fiendish Blow from mage and equip him with those. Also yeah, its the latter and you always get the points with every combat for the movement skill type.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I just picked this up because it finally got the $40 threshold which I can recoup most of if it's not for me (my suspicion, never played any FE games and not into anime, generally). I chose golden deer (prefer ranged play but during the tutorial I couldn't figure it how to tell the range of my attackers, lot more to learn obviously) but it's there anything I should know before playing? I feel like there's a million characters and I don't know if there are particular ones to try to recruit, etc. I'm pretty casual and rarely play through games more than once so games like this give me FOMO.

Any settings I should turn off? I'm more into action RPGs so might turn off the combat animations to try and speed things up.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

I just picked this up because it finally got the $40 threshold which I can recoup most of if it's not for me (my suspicion, never played any FE games and not into anime, generally). I chose golden deer (prefer ranged play but during the tutorial I couldn't figure it how to tell the range of my attackers, lot more to learn obviously) but it's there anything I should know before playing? I feel like there's a million characters and I don't know if there are particular ones to try to recruit, etc. I'm pretty casual and rarely play through games more than once so games like this give me FOMO.

Any settings I should turn off? I'm more into action RPGs so might turn off the combat animations to try and speed things up.

If you’re not on Maddening the game is pretty easy going as far as not loving up tbh. Most people agree that it adds more to not recruit a whole bunch of people on your first playthough, at least the ones from other houses, but if you really don’t want to miss out on side quests some characters from other houses are needed (but there’s still plenty just with the characters you already have).

Also, X is for enemy ranges and clicking on an enemy highlights their effective range.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
So a couple of things.

You can recruit pretty much everyone available on any route, so if you're worried about not experiencing all the characters or whatever on a single playthrough theres that. That said I and a lot of people encourage not *over* recruiting everyone, unless you enjoy grinding everyone up you'll end up not using all of them anyway just do to how Fire Emblem plays and miss out on the experience of a certain dynamic of the Time Skip. fighting people you didn't recruit

Three Houses has a lot of UI stuff that helps you. Besides checking enemy ranges individually and their aggro lines etc, as well as when you select your units and move them around, or even go to select to attack you can see info about how combat will go and can back out of this before confirming. You can use stuff like this to help give you a feel of things. General advice is to take it easy and plan out your attacks as you go, check enemy stats and all those other things that probably involve working against your action RPG instincts.

Golden Deer probably gives the most Lore/World exposition of all the routes so if there's one to do and only do its probably that, but there's still stuff you'll have questions about if you don't play the other routes. Don't worry about doing that unless you end up actually enjoying the game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Suburban Dad posted:

Just play how you want. Outside of maddening, the game isn't that hard, and it's really good about slow-dripping mechanics to you. I ended up ignoring half the mechanics my first play through (including recruiting by accident).

That said, this is really a game you need to play through multiple times to get even half the stuff in it.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks dudes. I'll not worry about it much for now. These sort of games give me analysis paralysis and I don't often finish than so we'll see. As for ranged attacks I meant my party's range. Is there an easy way to see that for bow characters before confirming moving them? I've literally done just the tutorial battle so maybe it will be explained.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

You're not committed to a move you make until you actually execute an attack/hit wait/etc., if that's what you're worried about. Just press B to undo it.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Suburban Dad posted:

Thanks dudes. I'll not worry about it much for now. These sort of games give me analysis paralysis and I don't often finish than so we'll see. As for ranged attacks I meant my party's range. Is there an easy way to see that for bow characters before confirming moving them? I've literally done just the tutorial battle so maybe it will be explained.

That's what I was saying, sorry if it wasn't clear. You can back out of moves before confirming them, and when highlighted you can see a units max range. Otherwise you can check inventories and see the range of bow weapons and magic tomes etc in there, and do math based on additional skills (the archer class gets +1 bow range or example) or combat arts like Curved Shot.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Suburban Dad posted:

Like some other people said, this game is not super hard aside from Maddening (which I've still never played).

This was my first FE game, and I actually NEVER figured out some of the mechanics on my first playthrough on normal difficulty. I still beat the game without too much trouble.

Like, I literally didn't realize that battalions give stat boosts on my first game. I think I generally attacked enemies by clicking on them instead of positioning units and then choosing attack, which meant I sometimes wasn't positioning ranged units very strategically. I didn't know that units learned skills in combat as well as during teaching sessions, etc.

So even not understanding core gameplay mechanics, I was still able to beat the game on Normal.

I feel like the best things to pay attention to when you're just starting the game are:

1) Hit ZR in battle to get a purple overlay that shows what parts of the map are in range of enemy attacks.

2) When you move units around, arrows will appear from enemy units showing who they will probably attack next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Thanks, y'all