Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Lovecraft's poo poo did not come from 'ignorance', he wasn't like the Conan dude who straight up lived in a tiny town in bumfuck texas with no black people who only realized the tropes he was using sucked when he had actual black fans and peers go 'hey I like your work but why is every black person a cannibal dude', he was a well off cosmopolitan guy who had nothing but scorn for minorities around him despite interacting with them constantly to see how completely mundane they are. We super don't need to pretend Lovecraft was some tragic dude, he's fine he's fuckin dead he can't be cancelled.

Building on AnEdgelord's point, and why I think it's slightly on topic and not just :goonsay: he also came from a well-to-do family that weren't nearly as well off as they probably pretended and he built New York up into some shining city on a hill. He showed up and saw early 1900s New York and its collapse into slums...and promptly blamed the tenants instead of the slum lords. He was really upset about that. Most of the time he represented his racist views in stories as the people causing a literal rot of a city. The other symbols are messier. Like he is obsessed with cursed blood, but it's only about race mixing some of the times (one of those times is really bad though).

Anyway, after being robbed he tried and failed to be a door-to-door salesman because holy poo poo did something give him horrible advice when they recommended that job to his awkward, goony rear end. He was a dude who never got the wealth or fame he probably thought he was owed and he saw horrible poverty affecting a shitload of people, and he retreated hard into his imagined superiority and racist views to feel better about himself and create a just world. It's old hat but it's maybe relevant to be accurate as to what mindsets led to awful opinions.

For :goonsay: there's a deep humor to the fact that for all people are obsessed with his Cthulhu Mythos stuff he was supposedly way more proud of his later works. The Cthulhu stuff was mostly him having a fun universe for him and all his friends to geek out about.

What a non-euclidean snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Lovecraft probably ate a lot of pussy, I think.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
matt's currently on twitch watching both town halls at the same time. he's ascending.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Seams posted:

matt's currently on twitch watching both town halls at the same time. he's ascending.

by election day matt's either gonna be the first human to open their third eye or try to choke out virgil in some confused haze.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

by election day matt's either gonna be the first human to open their third eye or try to choke out virgil in some confused haze.

Don't see how those are mutually exclusive.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1316622650706481153

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Matt needs to start watching classic old man anime. Get him some VOTOMS, some Space Battleship Yamato 2199, some Legend of Galactic Heroes, he would be so much happier.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Matt needs to start watching classic old man anime. Get him some VOTOMS, some Space Battleship Yamato 2199, some Legend of Galactic Heroes, he would be so much happier.

would he like Lupin? I think he might.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

uber_stoat posted:

would he like Lupin? I think he might.

I haven't seen enough Lupin to say.

Now Fang of the Sun Dougram, Matt would love Fang of the Sun Dougram. The giant robot series with a bizarrely realistic depiction of the politics of a popular insurgency. Like, our main characters don't actually accomplish much until two thirds of the way into the series when the foreign-born officers of the army order the execution of a popular native-born NCO and that causes a bunch of the native-born enlisted men to desert and join the insurgency.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

There's a reason one of my undergrad professors once told us that Ph.D. stood for Pile it High and Deep.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gripweed posted:

Original Gundam would be right up his alley.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

Original Gundam would be right up his alley.

Matt and Felix comparing the Trump children to the Zabi children.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

THS posted:

hp lovecraft is the kind of twink who would inexplicably have a giant dick

lmao bro, definitely 😂

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Gripweed posted:

lol

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Screenshot tweets or don't post them, dumdumb!!

duck.exe
Apr 14, 2012

Nap Ghost

Gripweed posted:

But who is Char?

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Heath posted:

Screenshot tweets or don't post them, dumdumb!!

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1316910005992542208

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

finally, a maoist standing up to bourgeoise tendencies

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I like censoring everything except for the N

miniscule12
Jan 8, 2020

HAHA YEAH HE PEED IN HIS OWN MOUTH I'M GONNA KEEP BRINGING IT UP.

Why are you nerds talking about lovecraft when on the new chapo ep they said social media shouldn't ban conspiracy theories and that we should no longer consider any act of political violence terrorism.

These were tetra flare level takes people.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
ok rereg

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

miniscule12 posted:

Why are you nerds talking about lovecraft when on the new chapo ep they said social media shouldn't ban conspiracy theories and that we should no longer consider any act of political violence terrorism.

I haven't listened to it yet but I'm putting down twenty bucks that they didn't say anything remotely like this

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Crane Fist posted:

I haven't listened to it yet but I'm putting down twenty bucks that they didn't say anything remotely like this

Why isn't anyone reacting to them spending a full two hours praising the actions of and fundraising for the legal defense of the kenosha shooter????

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The libertarian bear town story was very enjoyable

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
enjoyable and a superslam on goon island lol

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990

AnEdgelord posted:

If the guy who names his cat the N-word can come around then who else can?

trumo

give me my FUCKIN money!!!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

The Kingfish posted:

lmao bro, definitely 😂

do you have some kind of problem

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Crane Fist posted:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Feelix must be going through something because he has been powerposting non-stop for 3 days, weighing in on every little scrap and tittle of Twitter politics, my feed is set up so it shares things he comments on and he’s been way, way more active this week than any other I can remember.

https://twitter.com/mazmhussain/status/1316912011511562240?s=21

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
he could just be bored

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

DukeDuke posted:

But who is Char?

Chelsea Clinton

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
"Your state is on fire. You failed. You're wrong forever."

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
gently caress Lovecraft that was literally 100 years ago and we could damnatio memoriae him just by not speaking his name. Just kidding, all his poo poo is in the public domain so we're stuck with him forever :v:

I am curious, why did he name his cat that? :catstare:

crepeface posted:

i thought Matt's argument is that video games are interactive and, like the gamerfication of Qanon, makes people invest their emotional energy in it instead of doing a politics in the real world.

...unlike the obsessive fandoms of marvel comics or cw shows
Matt Christman, known lover of Marvel

Bust Rodd posted:

My issue is that he cannot possibly expect anyone to take him seriously as a cultural judge if he openly admits to having watched the last 25 years of Saturday Night Live
This is masochistic on his part. There is no compelling spiritual or logistical reason to do this

Eustace posted:

Ok so instead of laughing about Hunter Biden Im now frowning and shaking my head in disgust. Im sure that'll change things
Hopefully I'm not contradicting my last post- people just need to understand that his brother was worse. The Biden family's violence is institutional and far-reaching, but Hunter's behavior with drugs is mainly a personal struggle that affects him and his close family most. Hunter is "cool" because unlike every other politicians' kid he's the one most likely to ask you for rolling papers. In any case, who would you rather do blow with- Hunter or Don Jr? No contest.

I stopped myself from writing an effort post about Ukraine. I will just say TrueAnon ep 101 is a good listen on the subject

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Lovecraft probably ate a lot of pussy, I think.
Adam Eget: "Where do you get your ideas?" :newlol:

AngryBooch posted:

lmao at that dumb motherfucker whose never had the intense joy of a Dairy Queen Blizzard

Halloween Jack posted:

I've been thinking about why all this cringey liberal poo poo gets to me so much--giving Joe Biden the Chuck Norris Facts treatment, making Kamala their slaykween, sorting Buttigieg into a Hogwart's house and treating his husband like some kind of cuddly mascot, Big Structural Bailey, all that bullshit--it's honestly not that much different from the Alt-Right strategy. They make these "jokes" that make you want to puke, and when you call them out for how childish and stupid it is, they claim they're just kidding. But they really are this loving childish. It helps make their stupid and awful values palatable to themselves as well as others.
Yeah I hate all this poo poo. Who could possibly be cooler than the people who want to means test everything??

miniscule12 posted:

Did you do this, seems on brand

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Matt Christman, known lover of Marvel

Wow man you really understood the point of that post.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

it was a black cat and he was racist

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

He was a big fan of the banned Weird Al parody of Nina Simone's Sinnerman

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

It's really dumb how he deletes his best tweets.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crane Fist posted:

yes, unsurprisingly the actual take was 'conflating lovely political hatchet jobs and some kind of terrorist plot is a bad idea and it's probably not good to let social media companies just decide what 'looks sketchy' even when they're right that this is obviously at best a desperate bit of bullshit'.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1316770240475398145?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

I think it was pretty common a century ago unfortunately, I've heard of several pet dogs called that from around that time.