Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

glassyalabolas posted:

This website is cool. I'm kind of tempted to go from my Xs to a 12 Mini.

https://www.hotspot3d.com/

drat this is the first thing that has made me think I might want the Mini. My current XS is the limit for as large as I want a phone to be. Whenever I use my wife's XR it feels too big and clunky to me. And the 12 regular looks like it's bigger than the XS but smaller than the XR.

Edit: though ultimately I'm probably gonna skip the 12 generation, I'll be seriously considering a 13 Mini. Fingers crossed for TouchID and no notch!

OldSenileGuy fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Thwomp posted:

Yeah, the new iPad Air’s TouchID in the power button is a harbinger of things to come. Whether that comes next year or in 3 is up to Tim and his supply chain (and how well it works in the new Air which has yet to ship).

I don’t believe Apple has ever been thrilled with FaceID. It’s cool tech but it only ever replicated the TouchID system. Apple put out Animojis for it but nothing really beyond that to do more with the tech. It only ever migrated to the iPad Pro while at the same time they pushed TouchID to the Mac line.

It was only ever a tech that allowed for full screen iPhones (and expensive iPads) with something about as convenient as TouchID.

Animojis are dumb as hell and face id is dumb as hell. Fingerprint sensors are better in every way.

Vegetable posted:

Buy the mini you cowards, tell them we want smaller phones. I'm sick of these giant rear end devices

This :hai: I wish I hadn't bought a new SE so I could buy a 12 Mini instead.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

glassyalabolas posted:

This website is cool. I'm kind of tempted to go from my Xs to a 12 Mini.

https://www.hotspot3d.com/

Dang that’s really cool. Makes me actually consider the gold now. I can’t decide, they’re all nice!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
I badly want to get the 12 mini but I *NEED* all the nice cameras with which to take endless pictures of my cats

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

sourdough posted:

This :hai: I wish I hadn't bought a new SE so I could buy a 12 Mini instead.

I'd prefer it but it is $300 more so no regrets.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The mini pull is real. God damnit.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

illcendiary posted:

I badly want to get the 12 mini but I *NEED* all the nice cameras with which to take endless pictures of my cats

ngl getting the pro or pro max tempts me just for better optical zoom to get better cat pics without disturbing whatever cute thing she’s doing by getting too close

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rafikki posted:

ngl getting the pro or pro max tempts me just for better optical zoom to get better cat pics without disturbing whatever cute thing she’s doing by getting too close
Obviously the solution is MagSafe zoom lens cases.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I know this might be dumb, but has anyone made nice folding keyboard cases for MAX size iPhones? I know they’d be pretty small, but I can think of situations where one would be useful.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cause of the flat display and border peeking out I think I may be boring and get a black mini

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

DangerZoneDelux posted:

This is a very specific case but your second point isn’t how Verizon up works. Sometimes you get an option to select device dollars but it’s been lowered to $5 and it doesn’t show up every month. It may but sometimes you have $3 gift card options. It used to be $5 but that went to $3. Device dollars in Up should not ever be a selling point. Post in the Verizon thread if you have questions. If you get a fios discount that would be worth exploring

This is overall correct. I could be wrong, but Verizon device dollars have settled at $5 a month. For the past 4 months, Verizon has also let you pick a $5 gift card of your choice , so I have been getting gift cards to Amazon and it essentially goes towards whatever I’m buying s the moment.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I think I'm going to hold off on pre-ordering the mini until the reviews come out.

I'm worried about the battery life. If it's even 30% worse than what I'm used to with my 11 I'm gonna get the pro instead.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I've never had Face ID before but I use my phone when I'm kayaking a lot and when my fingers are wet Touch ID doesn't work too well. Also at the end of a good fishing weekend when my thumb is mangled from handling bass. And of course when my fingers are covered in Dorito dust. So for these reasons I'm kinda looking forward to Face ID.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Details of ATT’s trade-in offer are up on their website. I’m on mobile so copy/paste isn’t working well.

It sounds like if you trade in an 8 or higher you get the full 8 hundo. Which is sweet. I’ve got a broken screened 8 (kid phone) that would need a $149 screen replacement, and my wife’s 8+. Pretty sweet that either would get the full amount.

Now, is a normal parent baby picture taker going to notice any difference between the 12 Pro and the Max?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Now, is a normal parent baby picture taker going to notice any difference between the 12 Pro and the Max?

No.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

prom candy posted:

I've never had Face ID before but I use my phone when I'm kayaking a lot and when my fingers are wet Touch ID doesn't work too well. Also at the end of a good fishing weekend when my thumb is mangled from handling bass. And of course when my fingers are covered in Dorito dust. So for these reasons I'm kinda looking forward to Face ID.

Out of curiosity what about handling bass mangles the fingers? I've never really fished in my life :shrug: just wet?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

64bit_Dophins posted:

I think I'm going to hold off on pre-ordering the mini until the reviews come out.

I'm worried about the battery life. If it's even 30% worse than what I'm used to with my 11 I'm gonna get the pro instead.

The mini has a smaller battery but it also has a smaller screen and it’s OLED instead of LCD so I don’t think the battery will take as much as a hit as you think. Apple is claiming 15hr video playback vs 17hr on the 11.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:(

quote:

The ‌iPhone 12 Pro‌ Max also offers a wider optical zoom range, sensor-shift optical image stabilization, a telephoto lens with a larger aperture, and longer battery life.

I always bought the Max to have the better camera. But ATT is only giving a $700 trade-in for the Max, while $800 for the cheaper Pro. Arg, I’ll probably just stick with the cheaper Pro and get an extra $100 trade-in.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Inner Light posted:

Out of curiosity what about handling bass mangles the fingers? I've never really fished in my life :shrug: just wet?
I don't know about bass specifically (...and don't know any particular fish really), but I've gotten little cuts here and there the few times I've gone. There can be just random sharp bits on the fish, like the mouth/jaw or some of the fins or something. Or you can be dumb and cut yourself while cutting bait or hooking/unhooking the bait/fish :v:

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Inner Light posted:

Fish are sharp

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I’ve met a few dumb ones.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Wrong thread oops!

buglord fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 16, 2020

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

buglord posted:

At first it was kind of funny but I seem to have a recurring issue where my wife keeps having sex with my hunchback son and occasionally sister. I have no idea if it has anything to do with her being beautiful or lustful but its making it hard to get enough piety to reform my faith because these scandals keep popping up. I guess I can divorce her but my intrigue is really low and divorce also costs piety (although maybe it shouldn't if I caught her cheating right?) Incidentally, im reforming because im getting really tired of having to jail people for scandals. What I end up doing is pausing the game as soon as it happens, releasing them from prison (because even though its like 1100AD, their private life is none of my business) and sometimes getting a net positive relationship boost from it.

Also echoing what others said: Byzantium is too stable and in the 98 hours ive played, I dont think I've seen them not splattered across europe like a purple blood stain.
same

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

At first it was kind of funny but I seem to have a recurring issue where my wife keeps having sex with my hunchback son and occasionally sister. I have no idea if it has anything to do with her being beautiful or lustful but its making it hard to get enough piety to reform my faith because these scandals keep popping up. I guess I can divorce her but my intrigue is really low and divorce also costs piety (although maybe it shouldn't if I caught her cheating right?) Incidentally, im reforming because im getting really tired of having to jail people for scandals. What I end up doing is pausing the game as soon as it happens, releasing them from prison (because even though its like 1100AD, their private life is none of my business) and sometimes getting a net positive relationship boost from it.

Also echoing what others said: Byzantium is too stable and in the 98 hours ive played, I dont think I've seen them not splattered across europe like a purple blood stain.

Yeah but what colour iPhone are you getting.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Xfinity Mobile (hella cheap MVNO and I’ve never had a connection issue) is giving $250 over 24 months in credits for new customers or a $250 gift card after 30-90 days for existing customers with purchase, no trade-in needed. So I like the idea of that plus whatever I get on swappa for my X.

They’re running that until January so I’m starting to think I’m just going to wait until I can hold a mini in person and see if the screen is big enough for me while getting the benefits of a smaller phone. With all the models and the way the economy is right now I do wonder if we won’t see as frantic of a purchasing wave as we have previously. Then again I don’t know how impacted their inventory has been either.

Chances I just preorder a pro this morning are still at like 80%.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

track day bro! posted:

Yeah but what colour iPhone are you getting.
I think "purple blood stain" would indicate either blue or red.

(Now I'm wishing the blue was a deeper almost purple shade of blue)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Rinkles posted:

My iPhone just restarted itself three times in 15 minutes (sudden black screen followed by apple logo boot up), each time I was using a different app (chrome, twitter, awful). Any idea what the hell this is?

I'm on 14.0.1. SE 2020.

Still doing this. Guess I should contact Apple support. Never had to deal with them before.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So these credit things in the US are just the equivalent of those “$0 phones when you subscribe to a 24 month contract at $100 a month” “deals” right?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ijyt posted:

So these credit things in the US are just the equivalent of those “$0 phones when you subscribe to a 24 month contract at $100 a month” “deals” right?

Yeah, the carrier deals are the same old "sign up for 2+ years and pay a fee if you break early" contracts.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They’re also lovely because you usually lose the discount if you try to pay off your phone early and depending on the promotion details that might put you in a weird spot if you’re traveling and need your phone unlocked.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:lmao:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Here I was thinking it was 5am EST and not PST.

Got up early for nothing.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Guess I'm going with the Blue. Too much of a coward to rock the gold as a middle aged father of 3 kids that never leaves the house anymore. If I see one in the wild and I just love it I think I have some period of time to exchange it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
As a middle aged father of 2 I totally got the gold. gently caress the haters.

Also got $400 for my X and, I'm hoping, a future bill credit for $200 for being a loyal T-Mobile customer.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 16, 2020

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

As a middle aged father of 2 I totally got the gold. gently caress the haters.

Respect

I feel you, I'm just undecided between all four and can easily see getting each of them. I have the white 11 pro right now and it's a nice combination. I keep coming back to the blue so that's where I'm at.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The gold is awesome, it’d be between blue and gold for me in the Pro bracket.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
preordered 5 mins early on att's site. thank you tim

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Still waiting for App store app to work. Says 'almost there'

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Ordered :gary:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU