Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JacquelineDempsey posted:

:psyduck: This is like when I visited the MOMA for the first time and learned that Dali's The Persistence of Memory is small. Very small.

(9 x 13 inches)

It's also a good counterexample for when you see the Mona Lisa and realize it just looks kinda small and dingy in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Captain Hygiene posted:

It's also a good counterexample for when you see the Mona Lisa and realize it just looks kinda small and dingy in person.

The apex of Paris Syndrome.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

flakeloaf posted:

David is tall. Very tall.

good to see they finally covered up his d*ck

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

flakeloaf posted:

The apex of Paris Syndrome.

Praxis syndrome

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Oh so his dick isn't really that small

Phlegmish posted:

Look it's cold if you stand around with no clothes on, and he's a grower not a shower

No, it's small and shriveled. But focus on his face. Most photos are from a straight or lower angle, but if you were to look down, as if you were above him (or from Goliath's perspective), you'd notice David has a look of terror on his face. He's about to fight a giant and his army - he's frightened, and who doesn't nerf up a bit when scared?

Michaelangelo was drat good,

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Michelangelo was a brilliant madman.

He was also so gay he didn't know what a naked woman looked like so he just sculpted a dude and put tits on it.

Anyway I could look at David all day.

Look at that, that's incredible.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Wait 9 is very small? This is very unsettling...

Mona Lisa's expression, this whole time, was trying to cover up a laugh at you. Yes you, specifically. She was a witch, and a time traveler, and this was the funniest thing she found in all the days of this world.

RoboRodent posted:

Michelangelo was a brilliant madman.

He was also so gay he didn't know what a naked woman looked like so he just sculpted a dude and put tits on it.

Anyway I could look at David all day.

Look at that, that's incredible.

Using male models for female figures was just renaissance norm because they loving loathed women. I dunno who Michelangelo hosed but I'm a bi dude leaning towards the men and even the gayest gay guy I've ever gay kissed knows what women look like.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 22:55 on Oct 15, 2020

Docetic Mountain
Jul 5, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

even the gayest gay guy I've ever gay kissed knows what women look like.

You and he have access to the internet, television, film, photos, etc. my guy. It's... not really comparable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

even the gayest gay guy I've ever gay kissed knows what women look like.

PYF bad womens' anatomy thread suggests even some women may not know what women look like

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I'm not an a expert historian but pretty sure they had lots of women around if he wanted a reference. In fact it would've been impossible for him to avoid it. Did you know popes used to have orgies?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yeah with loads of women and gay old decrepit painters, right?

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
He wasn't invited, sure. I guess it makes sense if you think about it in certain terms...

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

doverhog posted:

He wasn't invited, sure. I guess it makes sense if you think about it in certain terms...

That's a shame. I have it on good authority that Michelangelo was a party dude.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

PYF bad womens' anatomy thread suggests even some women may not know what women look like

Not to brag, but I've seen several women over the years, so this LeoNERDo guy could learn a thing or two from me. I've only observed them from a distance but from what I can tell they are remarkably similar to us, just not as hairy

e: wait you weren't even talking about Da Vinci, but the other guy

Phlegmish has a new favorite as of 02:03 on Oct 16, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Leonardo da Vincel.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Phlegmish posted:

Not to brag, but I've seen several women over the years, so this LeoNERDo guy could learn a thing or two from me. I've only observed them from a distance but from what I can tell they are remarkably similar to us, just not as hairy

e: wait you weren't even talking about Da Vinci, but the other guy

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Leonardo da Vincel.

:emptyquote:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
So gay he couldn’t even look at a vagina

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
like its the ark of the covenant or something lol

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

christmas boots posted:

So gay he couldn’t even look at a vagina

https://twitter.com/grittyrebootSA/status/1315521034829860865?3

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

I watch this every time it gets posted and it only gets better.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Leslie Jordan is such a sweet guy and one of my favorite character actors.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Leslie Jordan. Ah. I wondered who had risen Henry Gibson from the grave.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Mr Webster in the lyrics of When You Say Nothing At All ("old Mr Webster could never define what's being said between your heart and mine") is referring to Webster's dictionary.
I've never actually listened to the lyrics properly before, but that line always stood out to me for some reason, and I thought it odd when I heard the song sung by a man, and he didn't change it to Mrs Webster.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Well, delicately kiss my pomegranates!

I didn't realize Leslie Jordan actually sounded like that, I assumed Beauregard la Fontaine on American Dad was just a voice that he made up.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I’ve loved that dude ever since the first time I saw him in Ski Patrol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCaeEvoBLK0

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Why the hell is Steven Merchant 6'7"?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ricky Gervais always gets to the trees first and eats all the lower leaves, so he had to grow that tall to get at the high ones.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Aphrodite posted:

Ricky Gervais always gets to the trees first and eats all the lower leaves, so he had to grow that tall to get at the high ones.

Ricky Gervais does always go for the low hanging fruit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The archaic Finnish word orpana means cousin, not orphan. Some bits in historical novels might make a lot more sense if I'd re-read them knowing that.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The archaic Finnish word orpana means cousin, not orphan. Some bits in historical novels might make a lot more sense if I'd re-read them knowing that.

lol apparently it means both, that's a weird combination of meanings

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/orpana

Also the PIE root *h₃órbʰos means orphan and slave haha
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstruction:Proto-Indo-European/h%E2%82%83%C3%B3rb%CA%B0os

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

lol apparently it means both, that's a weird combination of meanings

It doesn't, it just means cousin (in both the sense of cousin and in the broader sense of "some kind of relative IDK"), but so many people think it means orphan, too, that of course a lovely on-line dictionary is going to list that meaning. At least that's what I'm going to assume until I find an example of that usage (I checked all my "old-rear end dictionaries I should've thrown out when my old-rear end relative died and I was emptying their home but didn't, because I don't throw away books" and not one listed the meaning orphan).

I'll pop round to my mother's place today anyway and I'll check the etymological dictionary there. Maybe steal it, too.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i mean words mean what people think they mean

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Right, and when the writer thinks they mean something and a nerd 100 years later thinks they mean something else, not good things happen.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

true

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Etymologinen sanakirja has no mention of "orpana" meaning orphan, so any such use is modern, by a person who - like me - has seen the word and thought it meant orphan. Only reason I looked it up now was that I ran across it in a 1970s novel set in the middle ages and orphan just made no sense.

("Munkinkirkon noita" by Raija Kauttu. It's not bad.)

E: now I also get the old saying that I saw in a book of old sayings and never understood before: "Napalanko - perseorpana".

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 13:19 on Oct 25, 2020

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Does the dictionary also give the PIE etymology?

I suppose the meaning could have drifted via slave > worker > fellow/comrade > family member > cousin

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Carthag Tuek posted:

Sure, but "one editor on Wiktionary" is not enough people.

E: not even if it's one really determined editor.

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Oct 26, 2020

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Does the dictionary also give the PIE etymology?

It said it (probably) comes from the PIE word that became "orphan" in other languages (and "orpo" in Finnish as well), if that's what you mean. Both words are attested from the 1600s, by the by, so they were in use simultaneously, with the different meanings.

I didn't end up stealing the book because I didn't think to bring a bag so I can't quote it here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So this is quite mild really. I was look at the results of a survey of a different grammars over the UK and I have just discovered that most people don't say 'I'm going to my bed' they say 'I'm going to bed' loads of the other ones I could really accept but surely everyone says 'I'm going to my bed'