Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
He's just fallen into the common genius trap of believing that, since he's an expert in one really complicated field, he's automatically an expert at everything less complicated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BattleMaster posted:

Carmack was irreplaceable during his time at id; he isn't doing anything irreplaceable at Oculus.

maybe not irreplacable, but he's the public face of their tech and seems to have his hands pretty deep in all the crazier poo poo they're able to pull off, which isn't nothing.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Turin Turambar posted:

He did what he did because he is indeed a genius (or close to it, I guess), AND a superfocused workaholic.
But really, no one could dominate the entire industry like he did for 10 years with only the second part of the equation. The 24h of the day wouldn't be enough.

id Tech 4 was where the wheels started coming off - Carmack had very rigid ideas of good, pure code and design principles, and the rest of the team considered themselves lucky if they could nudge him back onto a more sane track if he got a weird idea in his head. There was one story I remember hearing when both the teller and I were a few beers in where he said Carmack was dead set on setting up a Doom 1-style networking model for multiplayer where all players had to connect because of some aspect of how the engine had been structured, and the entire team literally worked behind Carmack's back and replaced his code with a saner model, then had to dig in their heels and wear him down on the issue. He also forced another team member to work in a role for which they weren't well-suited despite them being hired on originally for something else, and more or less ground them into miserable dirt.

Staff mismanagement and ego trips aside, I do wonder what made him lose his way, because id Tech 3 was very much The Right Thing in 1999.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 15, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

How playable is Deus Ex with a controller? Some cursory Google searching makes it seem like it's a pain to set up to be playable on a controller and I'd be better off emulating the PS2 version. Is that true?

Figured I'd ask here since asking about controller support on reddit or steam forums will get me bullshit unhelpful replies.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 15, 2020

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The PS2 version is absolutely awful, although an emulator might help with that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This says you need to edit stuff in the preferences menu, but I've never tried it

https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Deus_Ex#Controller_support

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SeANMcBAY posted:

How playable is Deus Ex with a controller? Some cursory Google searching makes it seem like it's a pain to set up to be playable on a controller and I'd be better off emulating the PS2 version. Is that true?

Figured I'd ask here since asking about controller support on reddit or steam forums will get me bullshit unhelpful replies.

There exists some Steam Controller configurations for this. Right click on the game in the steam library, go to manage, and click Controller Configuration.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

PS2 Deus Ex with mouse and a keyboard is a funny experience, esp. when using those tiny gaming keypad things. Same goes for Half-Life on PS2.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Basically everything I've ever heard about Carmack seems to suggest that he's a great technical guy and an absolutely terrible boss. The stuff he did with Doom and Quake is genuinely genius - like the whole BSP thing for Doom was adapting stuff from mathematics papers into video games and it takes a certain level of genius to be the kind of person who reads mathematical papers in the first place. I think his problem is he just assumed "I work hard, so everyone else should work as hard as I do" and didn't really understand that his particular brand of psychopathy is not universal and that in fact most people will perform worse when trying to work like that.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

The PS2 version is absolutely awful, although an emulator might help with that.

I'm going to regret you saying that. Let's see how much worse than the Xbox version it is!

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

madeintaipei posted:

I'm going to regret you saying that. Let's see how much worse than the Xbox version it is!

The Xbox version is so bad it doesn't even exist

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I don't remember the PS2 version being that bad apart from having long load times every time you moved twenty steps in any direction, despite the maps being broken up into a bunch of smaller ones, which I assume an emulator would be able to alleviate. The inventory system is simplified too, but inventory-tetris isn't that fun.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

HolyKrap posted:

The Xbox version is so bad it doesn't even exist

Whoops. I confused DX for DX:IW. I even bought the PS2 version without noticing it wasn't IW! It can't be that bad. I liked IW even though it sucked.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would love if it was possible to rip the graphics and back port them because the ps2 version looks good which Deus Ex most certainly does not even by 2000 standards.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i love quake but i've never tried this arcane dimensions thing. what's the absolute most basic, easiest way to mount it up and get it running?

i'm legit really bad at computer most of the time so keep that in mind.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

I would love if it was possible to rip the graphics and back port them because the ps2 version looks good which Deus Ex most certainly does not even by 2000 standards.

Wait, the PS2 version looks better?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Johnny Joestar posted:

i love quake but i've never tried this arcane dimensions thing. what's the absolute most basic, easiest way to mount it up and get it running?

Do you have a sourceport set up? AD recommends Quakespasm Spiked, if you don't.

Once you have that, download the mod, unzip it to a folder named whatever you want in the sourceport folder, next to the id1 folder, then run the port with the command line option "-game <name of the folder with arcane dimensions in it>". From the console or through a shortcut, is the way I do it.

I think you can also do it from the in game console, with "game <name of folder>"

KOGAHAZAN!! fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 16, 2020

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Johnny Joestar posted:

I did this last month so it's fresh in my mind. I used this guide for installing Quakespasm (actually using Quakespasm spiked but it's the same process): https://godmodeuser.com/p/8

Then download Arcane Dimensions and follow the guide in their readme. It's very simple, basically just put the AD folder in the same place the id1 folder is. Then make a shortcut of the Quakespasm .exe, go properties and put -game ad (or whatever you Arcane Dimensions folder is called) at the end of the target location. That'll make it run AD automatically when you use that shortcut. Then follow this guide to make Quake look like Quake: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1427945447

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Oct 16, 2020

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Johnny Joestar posted:

Go to here
download AD 1.80 with patch. also can download quakespasm-spiked here if you don't have a quake client for some reason
Unzip and put ad folder in your quake client's folder
Run your quake client
Add
code:
-game ad
to the command line of your quake client
start the game. if the hub is different from usual then congrats, you have set up Arcane Dimensions

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

thanks for the information! i'm surprised i've yet to really check into it, but i feel like i really need to.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Ya know I went with QSS because I wanted the higher fps but I never actually got it to work. Whenever I set the fps cap above 60 it just reverts it back when I exit the menu and I never bothered to investigate fixing it

Johnny Joestar posted:

thanks for the information! i'm surprised i've yet to really check into it, but i feel like i really need to.

It's insanely good

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BattleMaster posted:

Carmack was irreplaceable during his time at id; he isn't doing anything irreplaceable at Oculus.

You could look at id's engines during his time there and say "holy crap Carmack is a genius" but nothing about Oculus gets that reaction, especially since they already had fully-working products before he even joined them... for a C-level position, which isn't exactly in the trenches either

edit: so no, I don't think he has done anything of note since leaving id except being rich

I can’t believe I’m defending Carmack, but I don’t think this is a fair criticism at all. Carmack stood out in the game industry at a time when teams were small, engines were made from scratch, and capabilities of individuals were much more important. As tech improves and games got bigger (and I’m lumping in Oculus here), it’s all about how well a team executes instead of a single person entering Hero Mode and saving the day by working really hard or being extra clever. There’s just not a whole lot a single coder can do to stand out in a massive project like the Unreal Engine or Unity. The game industry grew up (to a degree) and is closer to “normal” software engineering than yesterday’s land of Cowboy Coders.

In graphics academia Carmack is barely a footnote, if that. He would probably be the first to point out that he didn’t come up with any brand new graphics concepts, he was just among the first to apply them to games instead of pure research.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

Wait, the PS2 version looks better?

As good as a 2002 port of a 2000 dinosaur could be. Better models, worse textures, CGI cutscenes.

Comparisons

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

david_a posted:

I can’t believe I’m defending Carmack, but I don’t think this is a fair criticism at all. Carmack stood out in the game industry at a time when teams were small, engines were made from scratch, and capabilities of individuals were much more important. As tech improves and games got bigger (and I’m lumping in Oculus here), it’s all about how well a team executes instead of a single person entering Hero Mode and saving the day by working really hard or being extra clever. There’s just not a whole lot a single coder can do to stand out in a massive project like the Unreal Engine or Unity. The game industry grew up (to a degree) and is closer to “normal” software engineering than yesterday’s land of Cowboy Coders.

In graphics academia Carmack is barely a footnote, if that. He would probably be the first to point out that he didn’t come up with any brand new graphics concepts, he was just among the first to apply them to games instead of pure research.
Yeah, if Carmack is a bona fide wizard at anything, it's brute-force problem solving and engineering pretty elegant solutions to things. The fact that his brand of wizardry was originally applied to rendering engines was basically out of necessity (how else was anything going to get on the screen?) and less about the once-in-a-generation mastery of computer graphics that seems enshrined in mythology. By most accounts I've seen, he was just learning what he needed as he went, trying everything, keeping what worked, and building on his past successes wherever possible. Even the BSP breakthrough was as a result of his first attempt at the renderer being inadequate for drawing Romero's increasingly complex levels and the necessity of finding something faster (according to Romero himself). The fact that his influence in the rendering space waned in the post-Quake3 era has nothing to do with him losing his edge, and more to do with the frontier of rendering technology moving way past what any one person could reasonably hope to push or even keep up with, and probably more relevantly, becoming increasingly academic and collaborative in nature.

Volte fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Oct 16, 2020

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.

Hasturtium posted:

id Tech 4 was where the wheels started coming off - Carmack had very rigid ideas of good, pure code and design principles, and the rest of the team considered themselves lucky if they could nudge him back onto a more sane track if he got a weird idea in his head. There was one story I remember hearing when both the teller and I were a few beers in where he said Carmack was dead set on setting up a Doom 1-style networking model for multiplayer where all players had to connect because of some aspect of how the engine had been structured, and the entire team literally worked behind Carmack's back and replaced his code with a saner model, then had to dig in their heels and wear him down on the issue. He also forced another team member to work in a role for which they weren't well-suited despite them being hired on originally for something else, and more or less ground them into miserable dirt.

Staff mismanagement and ego trips aside, I do wonder what made him lose his way, because id Tech 3 was very much The Right Thing in 1999.

quoting this because i enjoy the poo poo out of these war stories. good rear end posts. thank you for your service

edit for content: let us not forget his loving dipshit rear end view of engine licensing, which basically set up epic to completely decimate them in that area

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I can't remember where I read it, I think it was either Masters of Doom or some magazine puff piece, but I remember reading some eyerolling paragraph to the effect of how Carmack had become so attuned to lighting and rendering that he could not help but see the world in specular and diffuse components as he contemplated the light reflecting off his showerhead. Sometimes I still think about that when I notice light reflecting off something in my shower.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

david_a posted:

Eh... I mostly agree, but being a cheerleader for OpenGL and Linux at a point when they needed defenders was invaluable. And it's hard to argue that - at least for a while - it didn't force Microsoft's feet to the fire to make Direct3D better. It doesn't have directly to do with academic/theoretical 3D, but leading the way on open sourcing old games was very much a good thing with positive ripple effects.

I've given him poo poo here and nobody's perfect, but I'm grateful for the positive differences he has made along the way.

meta²
Sep 11, 2001

What the flip was Grandma doing at the dunes?

Fellow new arcane dimensions player here!

What are everyone’s favorite must play maps? I have gotten through two of them and have been really enjoying it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Volte posted:

I can't remember where I read it, I think it was either Masters of Doom or some magazine puff piece, but I remember reading some eyerolling paragraph to the effect of how Carmack had become so attuned to lighting and rendering that he could not help but see the world in specular and diffuse components as he contemplated the light reflecting off his showerhead. Sometimes I still think about that when I notice light reflecting off something in my shower.

It was Masters of Doom, the same happens to me too.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

meta² posted:

Fellow new arcane dimensions player here!

What are everyone’s favorite must play maps? I have gotten through two of them and have been really enjoying it.

Idk if this is a hot take because its technically a swamp level but foggy bogbottom is definitely one of my favorites. Its really dense and interconnected and has a ton of secrets with some fun quad rampage opportunities. Set aside like an hour+ because its a big boy

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Regarding Carmack, all I know is that the running gag Civvie11 has of giving him a new grandiose title every time he mentions him is hilarious

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Regarding Carmack, all I know is that the running gag Civvie11 has of giving him a new grandiose title every time he mentions him is hilarious
Not sure how he's gonna top "Texas-based Techno-Cryptid" but I look forward to seeing him try.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

Not sure how he's gonna top "Texas-based Techno-Cryptid" but I look forward to seeing him try.

And of course if you stay for the credits of Civvie's last video you can see his dart board in the dungeon cell. He just can't help it and will throw anything at certain hated developer... :haw:

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

The Kins posted:

"Brain elemental" from a few videos ago absolutely slayed me.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Does anyone know of a reliable source for Quake 1 CDs? Shareware is fine, even, I'm just sick of having to dig around the internet to find the soundtrack whenever I reinstall it from Steam. Failing that the only legal option I can think of would be to get a record player and the vinyl release and record the soundtrack off that.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Oct 16, 2020

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Buy Quake 1 on GOG, it comes with an original .iso image

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Playing Bio Menace for the first time in about 26 years and uh... Bobby Prince was not exactly on his A game with this one :wtc:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVEZF4CyoXo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDBZSlKi9xI

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

Keiya posted:

Does anyone know of a reliable source for Quake 1 CDs? Shareware is fine, even, I'm just sick of having to dig around the internet to find the soundtrack whenever I reinstall it from Steam. Failing that the only legal option I can think of would be to get a record player and the vinyl release and record the soundtrack off that.

PM me? I've got all the soundtracks, even for the Impel mission pack.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I want both versions of Maximum Action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

ETPC posted:

quoting this because i enjoy the poo poo out of these war stories. good rear end posts. thank you for your service

edit for content: let us not forget his loving dipshit rear end view of engine licensing, which basically set up epic to completely decimate them in that area

I haven't got a lot of those stories, but I tend to remember juicy bits. I don't know the details behind the clusterfuck of Aliens: Colonial Marines development, but I went to a few Gearbox milestone parties for it. They called it Pecan. Why the hell it got shoved at other studios to be finished and bungled is beyond me.

Id tended to think of licensing an engine as, "Ah, you've come with a big pile of money, here's a copy of the game source code, thank you and best of luck." At some point an improvement was made (I think to id Tech 4) and someone at id suggested, "well, hey, that's both good and non-trivial, let's make that available to {whatever company had recently licensed it}," and he was basically laughed out of the room. You can fault Epic for a lot of things large and small over the years, but the way the original license for UE 1.x was written, a licensor of the engine could potentially keep getting code drops until their game shipped. This is why the PC version of Duke Nukem Forever is technically Unreal Engine 1 but is really a mountain of UE 2.x, UE 3, and a bunch of homegrown code built on that foundation. Epic kept sending code and resources to 3D Realms. They honored the deal.